Cover This: Gears Of War 4 Vid Shows Physics Traps

After years of only being able to see the shadow of Gears of War on PC – innumerable games about crouching behind waist-high concrete blocks – we’re getting to play it again. As part of their latest commitment to PC gaming for ever and ever for really real this time, Microsoft released the first game’s remaster for Windows 10 and have Gears of War 4 [official site] coming too. What’s exciting in 4? In a new seven-minute gameplay trailer, at least, the answer is wacky Dark Messiah-style physics deathtraps in one section of a level. Well, I wouldn’t say no!

That’s a nice-looking storm, that. And yes, I do adore that strange collection of scrap are conveniently stacked against delicate barriers. Be terrible if a storm were to swing by and turn this ugly landscaping into a deathtrap, wouldn’t it?

Also, when did Gears of War get so many gibs? Gears 2 is the last I played and I am delighted by how many enemies are exploding into wacky gutlumps.

Gears of War 4 is coming to Windows 10 on October 11th. It’ll be an Xbox Play Anywhere game, meaning folks get a copy for Xbox One too and share progress and whatnot between platforms.

I’m thankful for everything Gears gave us, by the way. Sure, many of the cover shooters chasing it were mediocre but that doesn’t mean their makers would’ve otherwise created masterpieces. I can’t imagine we’d have seen Platinum’s astonishing Vanquish without Gears either. I still dream that Vanquish will one day come to PC. Oh gosh, maybe even 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand too.

From this site

1. DaftPunk says:

Not impressed at all,neither with graphics nor with gameplay. Looks like first gears,which is now TEN years old. No thank you.

2. Missing Cat says:

Heh, the Micosoft execs behind this latest greatest idea are so high on cocaine and their own farts it’s hilarious watching them at work like a bunch of David Brents (don’t forget Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant were hired by Microsoft to do this: link to youtube.com). Even funnier was the “executive decision” to make this “Windows 10 exclusive”. Haha right, like games like say, I don’t know.. No Man’s Sky? will be running fine on Windows 7 x64 but this ten year old braindead shooter “needs” the “superior power of Windows 10”?? Hahaha!!!

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I’m pretty sure the exclusivity is down to them only developing for the DX12 API.

3. Generico says:

Someone in their focus group tests must have been like “I thought it would be ok to touch the fire-lightning” and “I sure didn’t think that building would fall down when it was shattered by a lightning bolt.”

I wonder if captain obvious keeps talking through the whole game. Which – judging from recent Xbox FPS outings – I assume will be about 30 minutes long.

4. Radiant says:

Who are these guys?
    Where’s stompy bandana man?
    Chainsaw gun?

WHATS HAPPENING?!?!

5. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Boy does this game look shit. I was semi excited at the prospect of returning to some shooty-bang-chainsaw-soulpatch action, but this game looks bland as fuck, and shows a complete lack of any evolution whatsoever. I mean cover shooters were getting boring by the time gears 2 came out, surely they could have applied something interesting to this game other than whooshy fire effects?

6. zxcasdqwecat says:

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Eurogamer recently featured this game in one of their Late To The Party videos (which are great BTW.) Aofie perfectly summed up my feelings on this series by saying that it’s “the most unrelatable game in existence.”