Overwatch’s Ana Now Live Plus D.Va & Zenyatta Buffs

Overwatch‘s first post-release hero has now been added to the game. Ana, a support sniper, was revealed just last week and added to the Public Test Realm, but is now live for all alongside a new trailer and a patch that brings buffs to D.Va and Zenyatta.

Ana has a bolt-action sniper rifle which heals allies and harms enemies, and a secondary weapon that fires tranquiliser darts to knock enemies out. She also has “Biotic Grenades”, which simmilar heals allies and harms enemies, as well as giving a buff to all ally healing for a few moments and preventing all healing of enemies.

She’s also Pharah’s mum.

We’ve already had story and game trailers featuring Ana, but Blizzard have now put out a developer update video where the designer Jeff Kaplan talks through the thinking behind Ana and her abilities:

The same update also brings other changes over from the public test realm, including those long-mentioend buffs to D.Va and Zenyatta. For D.Va that mostly means changes to her defense matrix, to turn it into an ‘alternate fire’ ability, reduce the cooldown from 10 to 1 second, and introduce a new resource meter that powers it with a full charge giving you 4 seconds of use. Meanwhile Zenyatta’s shield has been increased by 50 and his orbs of discord and harmony now travel much faster. Except no one cares because D.Va is much more fun than Zenyatta anyway.

There have also been small tweaks made to Soldier 76, Roadhog, Mercy, McCree, Lúcio, Bastion, some game modes, plus bug fixes. The full set of patch notes is available on the Overwatch forum. Despite the changes most of the tips in our Overwatch character guide should still apply and we’ll update it with Ana soon.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Person of Interest says:

For anyone looking to learn some details about Ana’s abilities (actual numbers; what abilities they counter or don’t counter), check out Furious Paul’s Overwatch guide. It’s the best resource I’ve found for learning specifics about each hero’s abilities.

2. aircool says:

So I played for a few hours last night… There were of course plenty of Ana’s about, which meant that there were even more colour based buffs and debuffs floating about and confusing the hell out of me.

For the love of anything that cares to listen, give us workable colourblind options!!!

• Bluestormzion says:

But… doesn’t the game already have three different Colorblind modes?

• aircool says:

Yes, and each one of them is fucking useless (excuse my language but Blizzard have said nowt and it affects a lot of people). They’re just adjustable colour filters which actually make things even worse (even to the extent that enemy colours look more like friendly colours).

Why they couldn’t let us choose our own colours for icons, character outlines, buffs and debuffs is beyond me… lazy programming I guess :/

Grizzly says:

To be fair on them, I think it’s more that people simply don’t realize how completely usefull such a feature could be rather then being too lazy to program it.

• aksen says:

yep, after going through the tutorial and playing a couple of rounds against bots, i went and flipped on the colour blind option for me and it made it worse…the colour blind option made the game worse for someone who is colour blind. good grief, blizzard, did you just read about it and guess how to change colours? sure seems like those options got very little testing.

Vandelay says:

The colour blind modes are really abysmal. I haven’t used them in game, but just seeing a bunch of very slightly different shades of colour in the menu was enough to make me not use it.

Got to say though, the default settings seem to be ok with my red-green colour blindness. Doesn’t excuse the other options, of course.

Zorgulon says:

Hey! Zenyatta is fun! Especially now he’s been buffed to be much less fragile. D.Va is probably more fun, but hey she’s got a rocket booster.

I like Ana a lot. Her rifle feels very satisfying, even without headshots. She’s also one of the best-designed characters in terms of appearance, and doesn’t (yet) have any ridiculous skins!

4. airtekh says:

Ana is a great addition. Don’t need to ask people to play support now for the next while because everyone will be trying her out.

The real star of this patch are the buffs. D.Va went from being underpowered to an absolute monster, McCree now gives people reason to fear him at medium range, and Zenyatta is finally able to be a viable support pick, instead of dying to a stiff breeze every other spawn.

Great changes.

• Xocrates says:

Good lord, the D.Va buffs are ridiculously huge. I used to play her a lot before and the difference to yesterday is immense.

The changes mean that the Defense Matrix is essentially always up, which changed her from one of the squishiest tanks (if not the most) to an incredibly sustainable one.

Her ult is also vastly more reliable and easier to hit.

D.Va is now at the point where she actually needs to be actively countered.

• aircool says:

I’ve enjoyed playing Zenyatta and to a lesser extent D’va over the past few weeks before the buffs and now they’re even better, even though I haven’t got used to defence matrix being RMB.

• Calculon says:

Yes – I can second this. I used to always kill Diva with just about anyone because – well it was just too easy. Now…..its a real problem. She is quite a force to be reckoned with now.

Ana I find……meh – but I only used her on the practice range. Her sleep ability seems to be quite irritating on the receiving end – and the other problem is all of those Anna’s running around dont know how to actually heal. They are too busy being ineffective snipers ruining for the people doing the real sniping (read me)

• aircool says:

I’ve found (in just one evening of gameplay though) that the sleep isn’t really a problem because taking damage cancels it.

Of course, I was mostly playing tanks or support, so I could either soak up the damage caused whilst sleeping or was just instagibbed in the same way that many characters can CC and instagib a support.

What I did find annoying was the krank’d up Genji’s.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Hmm, might have to give this game another shot. D.Va is by far my favourite character but the last couple of weeks I have barely played because it seems she is rarely useful anymore so I always ended up playing as somebody I don’t enjoy as much.

5. GAmbrose says:

Mcree’s be messing with me when I play Pharah now. I guess it needed to happen as there weren’t many characters you had to fear at range.

• Foosnark says:

That puts it in perspective for me. I dislike playing against McCree, but with several of my preferred characters I dislike playing against Pharah even more.

6. Foosnark says:

The D.Va buffs are glorious. Her shield is incredibly useful now, and her self-destruct actually kills people sometimes.

I am terrible with Ana, and find that most people who need healing are going to dance around evasively while Roadhog keeps stepping into your line of sight. She’s a cool character though.

I haven’t tried Zenyatta with the new patch. I never felt like I was contributing very much as him; maybe that’s different now.

• mrbright01 says:

Zenyatta is now sick useful, because he can take more than one hit. Because of that, he can now drop his Discord Orb on a target and survive long enough for that target to die.

• Kitsunin says:

Man, with Ana, you realize just how much people do this annoying nervous jiggling even while obviously not in range of enemies. And it’s suddenly irritating as hell trying to heal that damn Tracer who won’t stop squiggling around.

Oakreef says:

Best part about this update is if you interrupt Pharah with sleep dart Ana says “I think justice could use a little nap.”

I can’t believe they actually *buffed* Mercy’s ultimate though

Oakreef says:

*if you interrupt Pharah’s ultimate with a sleep dart

curse the lack of an edit button

• Chicanery says:

Her Ult was nerfed on balance. It charges much slower now, even if it’s easier to survive using it.

• Kitsunin says:

Yup. As I understand it, they didn’t want to actually nerf Mercy, but felt those simple Resurrection saves were too much of what made her good. Now she can’t do them as often, so probably needs to capitalize better rather than just suiciding.

8. Heliocentric says: