Just Myst It: Obduction Delayed Into August

You may well chortle at John’s Myst ranting but it’s no joke to those of us around him. Talking about Myst sends John into a blood rage and even seeing those four little letters can be enough – I once saw him bite clean through a steel-cased DVD box set of Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. But shh, John’s done for the day so I think I’m safe to post this as long as you don’t make any loud noises or sudden movements. Let’s go.

Myst makers Cyan have announced another delay for Obduction [official site], their shiny all-new adventure game.

Obduction is to bring more Myst-y, Riven-ish wandering and puzzling in a new strange place. I do like the striking image of a farmhouse with a white picket fence beneath alien skies filled with hoverrocks.

You won’t tell John I said that, will you?

Cyan yesterday explained the reason for this latest delay like so:

“The last few weeks have gone very quickly. We’ve been working long days, and seven day weeks. Obduction has been getting better and better. But we still found ourselves implementing the last couple of systems we needed instead of having quality time to focus on squashing more bugs. Last week we still had a chance, if everything worked perfectly. At the end of the week the leads met to discuss our options. We were so close, we could ship. But we came to the unanimous decision that if we shipped it was driven mainly by the deadline — not because we were satisfied. Obduction is a product that we’re very proud of, and we don’t want to let unpolished edges get in the way of an amazing immersive experience.”

At the time of Obduction’s Kickstarter in 2013, Cyan were hoping to release the game in October 2015. Well! Then it was due in June, then next Tuesday, and now the launch is scheduled for August 22nd. Hey, if it needs the extra time, it needs the extra time. After a three-year wait, another month isn’t much.

Until then, here’s a ‘teaser’ trailer from June:

From this site

1. rustybroomhandle says:

If you need a Myst itch scratched in the mean time, there’s a Myst-like on Steam called Haven Moon. It’s a one-developer effort & a bit rough around the edges, not super long and not super difficult, but all ‘n all I had a decent time with it.

• Doc Revelator says:

I’ve been looking at Haven Moon – thanks for the heads-up; I’m suspicious of Myst=likes but it actually looks OK.

• Faxmachinen says:

I hadn’t heard of it before, but it does look promising. Thanks for mentioning it.

2. Doc Revelator says:

Between John hating on Myst and Inside, I’ve come to accept we just have very different opinions about games and possibly entertainment in general.

I’m really looking forward to Obduction and praying it captures something of the spirit of the original Cyan games.

3. Konservenknilch says:

Backed it, don’t really mind the delays if it manages to scratch my Myst-itch in end.

4. Congo says:

Maybe they want to delay for Facebook exclusivity, and the Touch controllers?

5. April March says:

I don’t know if the game will be good, but the setting and presentation seem marvelous.

6. Morganov says:

Could never understand the ire towards the Myst series. Difficult puzzles aside (And lets face it all the puzzles back then were too hard) Myst and Riven totally nailed the eerie, solitary, walking and exploring experience years before Dear Esther, Gone Home, and the Witness bounced onto the scene to critical acclaim.

By the way Riven is totally the best. Here’s me waxing lyrical over how essential that game is: Within the Fissure

• Doc Revelator says:

This is brilliant. I agree in every way. Thanks for sharing!

• The First Door says:

I ended up playing the Myst games in a weird order, but I always thought they were absolutely excellent, with the possible exception of Myst 4 which I hated for some reason.

My favourite by a country mile though was Uru, which I remember looking gorgeous back in the day. I adored the mysterious introduction, the swelling music as you crest a small hill and see the caravan, the fact you could move around freely (although admittedly with bonkers controls) and customise your appearance and you got a little home age to call you own which you slowly improved as you found pages for it. Plus many of the ages and puzzles were the most brilliantly designed in the series. I still remember almost everything about Kadish Tolesa (the purple one), and Ahnonay (the time travelling one) is to this day one of my favourite puzzles.

P.S. I agree with Doc, thank for sharing that link!

• phlebas says:

I don’t think the difficulty is the issue (at least as far as our resident hater goes) – Walker’s a bright guy. It’s more the context, I think – a few of the puzzles can be solved by working them out, but they’re mostly about finding a combination in a book somewhere and looking for the mechanism where you apply it. The puzzles don’t tell the story, either, and that’s an important criterion for him. The worlds are pretty but not believable. There’s a lot of writing to read and video clips to watch and it isn’t always very well written or acted.

I’m not saying I agree with him – I love the Myst games, especially Revelation, which does a lot better on all of those counts, and I’m really looking forward to Obduction – but I can understand some of his criticisms.

Harlander says:

Hey, careful there, Cyan, you’ve spilled a little bit of Zork into your Myst-alike…

8. Rumpelstiltskin says:

Well, after they myst several deadlines, I hope it doesn’t end up riven into episodes.

9. Hyena Grin says:

I never liked any Myst game as much as I liked Riven. I think mostly because Riven felt more like a real place, just a little alien. I believed that little world, with all of its internal consistencies, how functional its puzzles seemed. Everything kind of made sense once you figured it out – they were a tad less puzzles, and more just cryptic.

The other games felt, I dunno, over the top. Uninspired. Relying too much on the weird, and puzzles that felt like they were trying too hard to be puzzles.

I’m tentatively curious, but I’ve got to say, the floating rocks don’t strike me as particularly creative. Just my opinion. I want to be wrong, though, I miss Riven (can’t go back to that resolution though) and long for a similar experience.

10. JohnJSal says:

I don’t understand why it is such a “thing” to hate Myst. I absolutely loved that game. I’d honestly like to know what people’s complaints about it are and why it’s a big enough deal that it needs to be mentioned in posts like this one.

• phlebas says:

You could start with Walker’s retrospective for Eurogamer:
      link to eurogamer.net

• JohnJSal says:

Wow, that was one of the most inane pieces I’ve read. He made maybe one decent point about the game, the rest was just so much ranting. He hates mechanical puzzles? So what!? I love them! But that doesn’t mean I will refer to how great I think Myst is every time I’m talking about some other game, and I won’t credit Myst with every great game that has come since, as he seems to want to blame it.