Guild Wars 2: Living World Returning For Season 3, Brings Own Vortex

Living World Season 3

The third season of Guild Wars 2‘s [official site] Living World time-limited storytelling adventure doodad is arriving on 26 July and thus has a trailer. A trailer you can watch after the jump (as well as discovering what Living World is if you haven’t encountered it before):

Okay, so. I sort of lost track of a lot of Guild Wars 2 stuff because by the time I got the game everyone I would have played it with had been playing for ages and it did that irritating thing of turning into a tour guide/tourist relationship every time I tried to play it with anyone. I also had a minor grump about the toast crafting system but let’s not reignite that particular kettle of bees.

ANYWAY. I think Living World is the seasonal narrative stuff which takes the form of bonus events and storylines only available while that season is active. A gaming soap opera, perhaps.

From this trailer I feel a bit sorry for the jungle dragon and how people are celebrating his or her demise. Maybe I’d feel differently if a dragon turned up in the UK and started treading on my things. But there’s not much time to celebrate anyway because there’s a new threat emerging. One which necessitates piloting an airship into a vortex.

The actual episodes are free to players who log in while they’re active but participating does require the Heart of Thorns expansion. To that end ArenaNet are putting said expansion on sale for half price for a while (€22.49 / £17.49)

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Chalky says:

I took a break from GW2 after being rather underwhelmed by Heart of Thorns – but I must say I’m rather looking forward to some more living story episodes and some more content to play through.

Anet seem to recognise the issues with HoT so I’m really looking forward to seeing where this goes. Can’t beat free content updates for making me want to go back to a game :)

2. Rince says:

And I’m here sitting waiting for them to make Season 1 replayable.
    Not really a fan of time limited content.

• Mana_Garmr says:

That’d be nice.

I recently played season 2 for the first time, not having been around for season 1, and the conversations and quest instructions are somewhat off-putting. A lot of them revolve around my character’s apparently close relationship with a group of people I’ve never seen before who reminisce on events I know very little about.

The recap the game provides wasn’t big on details

• malkav11 says:

The game wasn’t big on details. 90% of season 1 was just random timewasting activities. Like, the equivalent of holiday events (although they have those too). There were only a handful of cutscenes and no real missions to speak of. There’s not really anything to bring back. At the time it felt like a waste of resources they could be putting into a proper expansion.

• LionsPhil says:

I could say the same of the main plotline after getting out of my race-specific (Charr) parts. The warband I rebuilt is apparently now gone for good (so says a more veteran player), and now I’m stuck with a bunch of losers who cannot compete with Reeva “nah, that’s awful” the Cleava doing various meaningless faff for humans.

3. WindemereRpg says:

It doesn’t work like that anymore. Ever since season 2, so long as you login during the time that the episodes are released, they get ‘banked’ to your account and you can play them whenever you like.

4. WindemereRpg says:

• caerphoto says:

Worth noting is that this is true even if you’re playing on a free account, although you’ll need to buy Heart of Thorns to actually play the content.