Machinarium Has Sold Lots And Lots Of Copies

It’s rather lovely when you learn of a tiny company consistently making splendid games is succeeding, rather than struggling to stay alive. Amanita Design, who RPS have championed for their witty, beautiful and smart adventure games since we launched, sent us some very interesting sales information about their robotic point-and-clicker, Machinarium [official site], after its four millionth sale.

Released in 2009, the game took Amanita from relatively obscure to suddenly in front of the crowds, the game much more immediately accessible than their previously more esoteric offerings, despite still featuring their trademark collage of nature and machinery, distinctive animation, and a design that encourages you to explore the screen with your cursor.

The data reveals some interesting information, not least that PC delivered (ever so slightly) more net revenue than mobile, which proves a hefty achievement when you look at accessibility. 49% to the desktop, 44% to the handhelds, with a piddly 7% on the PS3 and Vita builds. (There’s an interesting aside for mobile there too, with iOS scoring a whopping 72% of sales, compared to Android’s 25%, and the rest giving 3% – bearing in mind Android makes up something like 80% of the market, you can see why developers still focus on Apple’s products.)

Also interesting to see is where sold it best. Steam wins, unsurprisingly, with 26% of bespoke sales. But their inclusion in Humble Bundles actually saw more units shift, at a massive 35% of the total. The Mac App Store gave them 13%, direct sales from their own site are 8% (and that’s about to get more impressive), and just 2% on GOG. The other 16% is the total of the sixty squillion other channels.

This all gets lots more interesting when you look at the revenues from those sales. Those massive Humble sales got them an extraordinarily small 7% of the total – of course being in a pay-what-you-want, shared across a number of games, will always make it worth a lot less, but cor. But the most revealing number is how 27% of net revenue came from that seemingly small 8% of direct sales. Indies: SELL YOUR OWN GAMES!

You can see those and the other figures here:

Oh, and p.s. scrollers: we have word that Amanita’s next game will be designed by Jara Plachy, who created Botanicula!

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Carra says:

Still haven’t played it. Did enjoy the smaller Samorost 2. I should play Machinarium one of these days…

2. Synesthesia says:

oo, I should finish botanicula.

Man, I wish I worked for amanita design.

3. Freud says:

Amanita article: Ctrl + F. Search for the word “lovely”.

4. Hobbes says:

Machinarium is one of the few games that despite knowing the puzzles by rote and despite knowing the game by heart…

I’ll go back and play it again. It’s beautiful, it’s got a few places where it makes you smile, it’s got a simple, but well told story, and the level of intricacy and thought put into each and every scene and character makes it one of the few games I really treasure.

Amanita deserve genuine credit for what they created with Machinarium, it’s rare to make a game that appeals to just about everyone, but gosh darnit they did.

5. cyrenic says:

I doubt I can express how special this game has been for me and my children. I enjoyed it when I played through it myself the first time. But it’s still a staple in my home because of how much my young children enjoy the game, and that’s made it particularly special.

I’m not sure exactly what it is, but all 3 of my kids have loved Machinarium from the time they were 2 years old. Probably having something to do with the pacing of the game and the amazing artwork and animation.

I’d even say the game has helped my kids with communication and thinking milestones in their development. Probably because we taught them a bunch of sign language, but two of my kids were pretty slow to start talking. Both times I introduced them to Machinarium, they started talking about the game at a level they had never verbalized things before.

Such a splendid game.

6. Jalan says:

More from anyone who worked on Botanicula is a “SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY” scenario for me. While I like Machinarium just fine, Botanicula is high in my list of favorite games of all time.

7. PancakeWizard says:

Well deserved congratulations to Amanita Design. I thoroughly enjoy their whimsical games. Audio and visual genius.

8. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

That’s great news. Lovely game.

I was worried, I remember buying the special edition from Amazon and there was some issue going on where a distributor had got loads of copies which incorrectly had Mac CDs in PC boxes. I got one of the duds and Amanita replaced it themselves free of charge, so I ended up with 2 of these gorgeous special eds with art book and all that stuff, all for a fiver. Was worried I was helping bankrupt Amanita by buying from flakey amazon marketplace sellers :s

9. Michael Fogg says:

Maybe someone have a look at the achievement stats to see how far people acutally got in the game? Machinarium’s gameplay is awfully tedious, and most of these copies were sold for pennies in bundles.

• Catterbatter says:

There are no achievements, and Humble Bundle sales accounted for 35% by volume. There’s a pie chart right there in the article.

10. Llewyn says:

What stands out to me from those pie charts is the percentage by revenue from Russian sales. I wouldn’t have been surprised by 8% by volume.

I’m glad to see it’s done well for them, hopefully in revenue as well as sales volumes.

11. Booker says:

I actually have the game on GOG. Yay! :P

12. KFee says:

the ratio between sold units percentage and net revenue for the sales on their own site is weird. They probably never had a discount there and most people for sure bought the game heavily discounted, at least on PC digital stores like Steam, which might explain it eventually.

13. Vacuity729 says:

Wait, I thought that direct sales were very risky due to the prevalence of bulk purchases using fraudulent credit card data, incurring enormous charge back costs for the company and supporting a thriving black market in Steam key reselling?

Haven’t RPS reported on this several times in the reasonably recent past? Am I misunderstanding something?

14. sg1969 says:

Well I’m sure they would have made more from mobile sales if they had actually released it on the most popular device: the iphone.
    but for some inexplicable reason they only released it on iPad. Their excuse is that the screen is too small, but I’m gonna say that’s just BS, they just couldn’t be bothered. They could have made so much more money, as well as let more people experience the game.