Tomb Raider DLC Rising: Co-op, Croft Manor, Zombies

New Rise of the Tomb Raider [official site] DLC will bring two-player co-op support to its survival mode Endurance and a whole load of things for Lara to do around Croft Manor. I like when video game people have homes. Lara will be kicking around her mansion in a new hunk o’ story, as well as shooting through it in a nightmare thanks to a zombie mode. Given everything she’s seen on her adventures, zombies seem relatively tame for a nightmare.

This new round of DLC is coming thanks to the game’s long-held-back PlayStation 4 version. I guess Square Enix wanted to make up for dicking PlayStationeers about with Xbone exclusivity. Anyway! Point is, new DLC is coming, and folks who bought Rise of the Tomb Raider’s DLC Season Pass will get all that too.

I’m genuinely glad to hear about a return to Croft Manor. It’s had a small grounding presence in the series, even if it does make clear how obscenely rich she is, and she does mostly treat it as a place to solve puzzles, train her acrobatics, and lock her butler in the meat freezer. Anyway! Here’s what will go down there in this new DLC:

“‘Blood Ties,’ a new premium DLC, beckons players to explore Croft Manor in a new story mode; then defend it against a zombie invasion in ‘Lara’s Nightmare’. When Lara’s uncle contests ownership of the Manor, Lara must explore the estate to find proof that she is the rightful heir, or lose her birthright and father’s secrets for good. Players can then test their zombie-killing skills in the replayable ‘Lara’s Nightmare’ mode: a haunted Croft Manor where players have new challenges and must rid the Manor of an evil presence.”

An ‘Extreme Survivor’ difficulty mode is coming too, with no checkpoints and saving only at bonfires.

As for Endurance mode, it’ll be getting support for online two-player survival antics. Ther other player will appear as Nadia, each seeing themselves as Lara. Alec found the original Endurance DLC Rise of the Tomb Raider’s best part by far so co-op for that might be a lark. Here are some folks from the Ian Games Network playing it for 22 minutes:

This is all due on October 11th. Square Enix have also announced a $60 ’20 Year Celebration’ edition of RotTR which will include the game, the original DLC, this new DLC, a new Tomb Raider III-y outfit for Lara, and the option to play as five “classic” Lara models from across the ages. I always fold old character models in new games unsettling – the MGS1 Solid Snake in MGSV just isn’t right – so good, sure, let’s bring back the pointy gal.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

“When Lara’s uncle contests ownership of the Manor, Lara must explore the estate to find proof that she is the rightful heir, or lose her birthright and father’s secrets for good.”

Ooh, this sounds pretty cool. I’d like a chance to play around this game’s mechanics in a setting not weighed down by the ultra-serious story.

RotTR was kind of a disappointment to me, especially after how much I enjoyed the Tomb Raider 2013. It might be a misnomer to call an action-heavy reboot of Tomb Raider “fresh,” but that game really did seem to have ambitions to doing something different, treating Lara like an actual person rather than an untouchable god (well…sort of, anyway), and including some nice little touches like the genuine enthusiasm with which she examines historical artifacts. But Rise doesn’t really double down on any of that–it’s all but the same experience, with a less compelling narrative hook and a bunch of extra collectable thrown in. After the promise of the reboot, it’s disappointing to see the series back in a holding pattern after only two games.

Then again I do feel kind of bad about trashing something that’s obviously been made with love–it looks incredible (seriously probably the best facial animation I’ve ever seen), the environments are fantastic, the platforming is as smooth and satisfying as ever. It’s just that in the absence of a compelling story or some kind of shift in scope, it ends up falling kind of flat. Maybe this DLC can send it out on a good note.

• Bostec says:

Too true, I really enjoy the first tomb raider(2013) even if the story ended up bollocks. But this one? damn! I really struggled to get to the end. I even dreaded booting it up after a few hours. I have no idea why. Hardly any soul to it I guess.

• Buggery says:

I bought the first remake during a sale on a whim and was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it. Genuinely fun and – character plots aside – some genuinely enjoyable ropey horror.

Unfortunately ROTR kind of doubled down on most of the little things that I didn’t really enjoy about the first one while not really improving on all the other stuff. More focus on combat and collectibles – witness the frankly unnecessary skill tree with progress locked paths and the pointless customization of the weapon system. I don’t think anyone who played the first game really saw those elements as strong points that needed building on.

Personally, I would have preferred more ooky spooky horrible situations and tomb puzzle solving.

• Tsurugi says:

Story ended up bollocks? How so?

• Ml33tninja says:

I felt that way about the first tomb raider. Just shallow and so action heavy it was disappointed all around. I was more prepared for it this time.

2. anHorse says:

Croft Manor from TR2 is still my favourite area in all of videogames, loved exploring that as a kid

Biggest disappointment with the recent games has been the absence of it

3. Chaz says:

Croft Manor always makes me think of Marlinspike Hall in the Tintin books. A Tintin game where you go exploring Marlinspike would be bloody cool. You’d go rooting through the hall finding clues for hidden treasures that take you off on adventures around the globe. Chuck a few villains into the mystery and you’re good to go. In many ways Tomb Raider is rather like the Tintin stories.

4. Zenicetus says:

I’m curious about how they’ll make the Manor interesting enough to explore. One of the things I thought Rise lacked was enough danger and different deadly traps in the tomb bits. Just a few here and there, among the mechanical puzzles. I can’t imagine her Dad filling secret areas of the Manor with deadly traps, so I wonder what the hook will be?

Anyway, I haven’t quite finished the game. I stalled out about 3/4 of the way through when the constant switch from exploring/story to shooting galleries got too repetitive and predictable. Reminds me a bit of Bioshock Infinite in that respect.

And they still haven’t figured out how to portray Lara’s personality in a way that fits her actions as a killing machine that leaves hundreds of bodies in her wake. Her wimpy “Oh dear, it’s so sad, but I must continue” musings at the campfire are laughable.

• Tsurugi says:

Mathias, the head psychopath who founded the Solarii in TR2013, asks Laura, “Are we so different, girl? How many did you kill to get here? We both did what we had to, to survive!” (paraphrased)

I thought the game designers put this little scene in specifically to address this issue. I also thought it was overkill(hah. hah.), since it seemed perfectly clear to me that Laura killed lest she be killed, while those she was fighting killed because psychopath.
      This distinction was made even more clear through the recovery of Mathias’ journal entries, as well as those of an unnamed Solari. Mathias cooly watches his shipmates die as they attempt to leave the island a second time at his suggestion, to test a “theory” he has about the island storms. In other words, he sacrifices them in a bid to save his own arse. Laura, on the other hand, nearly gets herself killed several million times trying to help her shipmates.
      In the journal entries, Mathias describes how he “chooses” from amongst shipwrecked survivors, picking out the ones with darkness in their hearts, then slaughtering the rest. He purposefully picks the psychos.

Yes, Laura has a bit of a breakdown the first time she kills another human being, but it is clear that her reaction has more to do with the situation she finds herself in(unchecked psychos everywhere who will kill at the drop of a hat) rather than any actual remorse for the person she killed. Just before she killed him, he had been hunting down and executing unarmed, harmless Endurance crew members, after all.

5. GameCat says:

Zombies? Oh come on, at least make it mummies.

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, a missed thematic opportunity there.

• Pogs says:

I’m pretty sure most games are/would be improved with the addition of zombies.