Here’s 12 Minutes Of The Infinite War From Call of Duty

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a robot face – forever. In Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare [official site], you will play as the boot. Infinity Ward have graced the internet with a gameplay trailer showing off the first level, where the boot, played here by a soldier called Lt Reyes, must tramp through Geneva, shooting as many robots and robot-loving humans as possible, before flying into space and shooting possibly more robots among the stars. Come watch all the explosive, robophobic action after the jump.

Skip to 5.20 to see the exact moment I would have accidentally killed 3 innocent civilians.

The trailer also features deadly robot spiderthings, shotguns that magically will their rounds to narrow in on particular parts of the human body, and a hacking module that lets you self-destruct enemy robots (leading to your squad mates to congratulate you in the most oddly Hollywood way by shouting “solid hack!” in the middle of a gunfight). You can also call in gunships to clear an area, although there are so many fiery set pieces in this demo it is hard to tell which events are scripted and which will always be available for the player to use on the hoof. But it looks like you’ll be able to use this skill in moments when the pilot becomes “available”.

Meanwhile, another trailer has been released, showing off the space carrier ‘Retribution’ which will be the main hub of the game. It has been designed to mimic the layout of a modern day naval carrier, the developers say, “to create a gritty, raw environment grounded in reality”.

Not sure about the “grounded in reality” bit – it is a spaceship – but it does look like the inside of the USS Intrepid in some quarters, which is either cool or boring, depending on how much you like the colour grey.

I haven’t played COD since MW2. But I am enjoying how daft this action looks, not to mention the premise that, in this explodey future, specialist roles are somehow no longer needed in the military. These soldiers can do absolutely EVERYTHING, including piloting spaceships.

What do you think? Is it time to dive back into the series? Or has CoD’s brand of shooty bang become infinitely repetitive?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Rich says:

That looks like one hell of a roller coaster ride.

• Rich says:

Reply because no edit:
      Do I think it’s time to jump back into the series? Yes. It looks far enough from the post-9/11 faux-realism that it really does look like fun. Big stupid fun, but still fun.

Vandelay says:

I’ve been thinking for the last few years that CoD looks like it is finally changing and doing something interesting, but every year it ends up being the same old, same old.

This does look like it could be really good, but I’m still going to hold on until I see reviews from trusted sources before I get that excited.

Vandelay says:

Reply, also because no edit button:

And now that I’ve actually skimmed the footage above, I can confirm that yes, this does look just like every other CoD. I don’t have a problem with corridor shooters, but I’ve not felt that Infinity Ward have really excelled at them for many, many years. The fact that they are still making games with “squads”, but not evening attempting something as simple as Brothers in Arms with it still baffles me.

The space bits looked good, but the rest seemed like it would be the same thing you could get from any of the other CoDs, albeit with a few futuristic gadgets thrown in.

• wengart says:

COD has been doing the “same old same old” for more than a decade now, but its also one of the few games that I can think of doing that style of gameplay.

And now its gone into kinda weird near future scifi which looks pretty cool.

I wouldn’t mind playing the new one or really any of the most recent bunch for those reasons. However, they still hold onto this premium price even years after they’ve been out that puts me off. I mean for the price of a single COD I could pick up 2-3 other very good AAA games during a sale.

Which isn’t a good enough price point for me to relive the glory days of the linear set piece FPS.

• Borreh says:

Well, Black Ops 3 did away with “same old, same old” by going for surprisingly open arena-style maps and giving the player a wide range of abilities that the could use on their own, without the game telling them to do so. As a shooter fan I can say that it was the first time since ages when I had genuine fun with the gameplay in CoD. BO3 also had a surprisingly deep and intelligent storyline (one of the best stories I actualy saw in recent games, actualy).

And what happened?

The fans hated it.

Same goes for Advanced Warfare which was also a genuinely enjoyable game in its own right (and even had an almost openly anti-american storyline).

So all the “same old, same old” comments – It clear that’s not what the developers want to do, but what the players demand from them.

Activision couldn’t break free from this corridor shooter “shoot the bad guy that threathens our way of life” even if it wanted to.

• sebmojo says:

if you want to see the future imagine someone pressing X to stomp on a human face… for 6-7 hours (on normal difficulty)…

2. Det. Bullock says:

Finally we got some Squadron 42 gameplay footage! Oh, wait…

• Chalky says:

Lol :D

But really though, if nothing else Star Citizen has shown games companies that there’s a really big market for big space games and hopefully we’ll see more and more games in this genre even if SC turns out disappointing or never gets released.

This new CoD looks actually pretty good – my main issue with the franchise is how predictable and tired it’s become so this looks very promising indeed!

3. Ham Solo says:

Hahaha, no thanks.

4. cutechao999 says:

It looks…okay. More towards Original COD in some weird way, and MW. Not sure though

5. ryanrybot says:

I’m usually not negative towards things, but I need to get this off my chest.

All in all the shooting looks okay, but is it just me or does the space combat look like a friggin’ mess? I know they want to appeal to “Explosion Per Minute” crowd, but my goodness.
    Also, I’ve noticed this in a lot of these types of games lately; now they guide you directly to the door, but let YOU open it! Innovation!
    The UNSA, really? You might as well have soldiers called Spardans, and an alien faction called the Covenand while you’re at it.

6. Person of Interest says:

Garish orange-and-teal color grading is a bit last-decade, don’t you think? I’d be okay with a traditional cover shooter without all the disco lights. Back in brown, and all that.

• LexW1 says:

That was really my takeaway here. It just doesn’t even look like now, let alone the future, it looks like a mid-budget Hollywood movie from a a decade ago. Not in a good way.

Plus they’ve somehow, accidentally I think, made it actually look half-arsed-ly retro-futuristic in a strange, non-cool way, by obsessively styling everything after present-day military equipment – i.e. your gun in most trailers seems to be an M-16 with futuristic doodads on, your spaceship is basically an F-35 that is somehow space-capable, your carrier is basically an aircraft carrier in space (with way crappier close-in weapon systems than a real one too!), and so on. Even the robots look like a slightly dated vision of robots.

It seems pretty silly – it’s not like equipment/vehicles now look much like WW2 equipment/vehicles, and this has to be a bigger time-gap.

7. tonicer says:

Yeah i’m not watching gamepad gameplay … it makes me literally sick and nauseous. Get someone like Gamekiller346 to show of a game and i will happily watch it.

• aldo_14 says:

It’s very interesting how they managed to make sure they were always point at the best possible angles for everything. *cough*

8. shrieki says:

have to admit that as the video played i was leaning more and more towards the screen until i almost spilled my coffee. not bad at all…

9. HZCH says:

This level in Geneva is weird to watch when you actually live in this city. Looks like every bits of familiar details (old canons, paved streets, some late 19th century architecture, a lake) have been put together by someone who have neither set his foot there nor he actually used google street view…

• USER47 says:

They are usually going for the authentic feeling rather than geographical accuracy. It was the same with my hometown (Prague) in MW3…familiar bits put together in a fictional way. But somehow it worked quite well and the feeling of Prague was there.

10. klownk says:

Still look the exact same than the others…

11. Keasar says:

I thought it looked pretty alright, its the same type of gameplay but sometimes I want a shooter that just tells me “Go shoot shit!” and not constantly “philosophy the meaning of your life and existence.” Inside was lovely and all but now I want something more simple.

Also, I feel like Brendan completely missed that Ethan, one of the squadmates, is a robot. Besides, I think more games needs to use robots as enemies, Binary Domain was one of those games nobody played but showed how much better enemy variety you could have in a shooter using robots.

12. Phasma Felis says:

So I understand the original trailer for this was super controversial? For some reason? It looked fine to me.

On the other hand, I’ve heard the phrase “threaten our very way of life” twice in two trailers now, which an annoying bit of meaningless bullshit that I could really do without in the real world, let alone vidyagaems.

• USER47 says:

The trailer was fine, it was just BF fanboys and other kids happy to jump on hate bandwagon who made the impression it was the worst thing ever created by the mankind.

13. tonicer says:

Since i only ever play the singleplayer part of any COD game after COD 2 i don’t think that the 50+ GB download is worth it … at least not with my crappy German internet … 550KB/s down. :(

If it gets on sale and my internet gets faster … maybe.