The Foxer

I suspect last week’s foxer was inspired by The Silver Road. There’s a copy of John Wyndham’s unfinished novel on my Chief Foxer Setter’s desk at the moment. Judging by the bookmark position I’d say Roman’s just reached the bit where the Edenites, a quasi-religious animal liberation group, break into the vast Priapco snail farm near Luton, and free millions of, what they believe to be, harmless Helix agilis.

Last week’s theme: snails (defoxed by AFKAMC)

a Patricia Highsmith (phuzz)
b Dublin Area Rapid Transit logo (AFKAMC)
c Kamov Ka-27 Helix (mrpier)
d Foot (Shiloh, AFKAMC)
e RAF Snailwell (Matchstick)
f Tin Snail (phuzz, Stugle)
g Shell (mrpier)
h Sopwith logo (All is Well)
i MP 18 (Matchstick)
j Trail (Stugle, richard)

* * * * *

Only Roman could return from a Google Street View world tour with sunstroke, Delhi belly, and a venomous eight-legged stowaway in his luggage.

The ten locations pictured below all feature in movie titles. Name them to win Flare Path Flair Points carved from holly wood.

(Link to larger image)

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Artiforg says:

f is Waterloo Bridge in London.

2. Little_Crow says:

b) Breakfast at Tiffany’s

3. Artiforg says:

e is Cardiff bay. The grey hanger looking place in the bottom right is the Doctor Who Experience and the copper building in the middle is the Millennium Centre.

• phlebas says:

And just beyond the Millennium Centre is the RED DRAGON centre which I suspect is our target.

4. Stugle says:

I is USS Bowfin which is anchored in Pearl Harbor.

5. Artiforg says:

Is g Cape Canaveral?

• AFKAMC says:

No, it’s a Buran, not a Shuttle, and it’s at Gorky Park.

6. Arglebarf says:

i is the USS Bowfin outside the submarine museum at Pearl Harbor.

7. Stugle says:

H I’d like to link to Mulholland Drive, but I can’t find an exact match.

• phlebas says:

Looks good to me:
      link to google.co.uk

• Stugle says:

That’s what I thought, but the weather doesn’t match. Looks like sneaky Tim rewound the Google time to January 2016 or earlier, while I’m ogling the dreary June 2016 street view.

8. Arglebarf says:

h looks a bit like the high desert of the US southwest (although hard to tell at this res). “Albuquerque” or “The Atomic City” (cheesy cold war portrayal of Los Alamos)?

9. Stugle says:

F WATERLOO BRIDGE
    G GORKY PARK
    H MULHOLLAND DRIVE
    I PEARL HARBOUR
    J The Taking of PELHAM 123

12. Stugle says:

Judging by the yellow-green car behind the bus, I don’t think A is in the United States. That narrows it down to 95% of the globe…

D looks Dutch to me (or at least European). The blue car nearest the camera seems to have a white license plate – my first thought is it looks Belgian (white plate with red lettering), but there are a host of other European countries with white plates.

• Little_Crow says:

I was going with Shanghai, Malaysia, Phillipines type places – I can’t make out the bus badge but it doesn’t look Western to me.

My first instinct for D was Belgium too, but there is so very little to go on.
      I can’t tell the difference between Dutch and Belgian style buildings – but Belgians get upset if you compare the two…

• Stugle says:

The one-way sign on the building is definitely European (and fits both the Netherlands and Belgium). Let me go out on a limb and say the picture is not from Bruges, so we needn’t worry about Colin Farrell. :p

• Shiloh says:

I’d been pondering “In Bruges”!

• Little_Crow says:

I’ve been looking at Belgian street signs in google images – What an afternoon!
          The blue street name looks most like those from Brussels (Bruges has White on Green, Ghent Black on White).

So I think it narrows it down to all of the locations on the street car (triangular street sign) routes in Brussels.

• phlebas says:

You’re correct about A. You can narrow it down even further by identifying it as a Marcopolo bus, and noticing that the road name ends in ‘Vargas’.
      It’s Rio de Janeiro – in particular the big building is the Palácio Duque de Caxias – so we could go for Brazil, Rio, Rio Lobo/Grande/Bravo. But I haven’t managed to come up with anything more specific.

• Stugle says:

… I guess I need new glasses. Even with your analytical dissection of the image, I still can’t make out anything as precise as a street name. Well done.

Oh, and for my suggestion, let’s go with a real stinker: link to en.wikipedia.org

• Little_Crow says:

On the ground helpfully added by Google Maps, I totally missed it until Phlebas mentioned it…

• phlebas says:

Aha! Something more specific: The Duque de Caxias was Luis Alves de Lima e Silva, known (according to Wikipedia) as THE IRON DUKE.

• Tim Stone says:

Roman is currently on the naughty step. The photograph he meant to use for ‘a’ shows the big white clocktower just across the road from the Palácio Duque de Caxias. Sorry.

• phlebas says:

Ahh, would that be CENTRAL STATION?

• Stugle says:

That sounds better than “Secretary of State for Security”, I’ll grant you that.

13. Stugle says:

There seems to be a tram track in the D picture. According to Wikipedia, there are trams in Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent, and Charleroi. Oh, and there’s a coastal tram connecting several beach towns.

• Little_Crow says:

I’m putting it all on Brussels. The Antwerp street signs look a darker blue, and Charleroi’s seem to have the crest on them which I don’t think are present on the sign in the picture.

Good lord what has happened to me, I was cool once.

14. Stugle says:

D is Quai du Commerce in Brussels, namechecked in a 1975 arthouse movie:

link to en.wikipedia.org

• phlebas says:

Oh, well done! You can just make out the grey doorway of number 23 on the right hand side.

• Little_Crow says:

I’d found a google maps overlay of the Brussels tram system and was considering whether I wanted to scour it for this particular road.

As it turns out searching for ‘brussels street imdb’ is much easier – nicely done

• Stugle says:

Wikipedia has a helpful “Films set in Brussels” page – this is the only one that lists an address in the title. :)