Telltale Share New Walking Dead Screens & Details

A lot has changed since the first season of Telltale’s The Walking Dead, and the development team has been taking some time to reflect on the course of the franchise as the release of Season 3 draws ever closer. Telltale Games’ Dennis Lenart and Melissa Hutchison (the voice of Clementine) took to the stage at San Diego Comic Con this week to share some new screenshots, a poster, and a few new tidbits on what the next chapter has in store.

Players will be able to assume the roles of both Clementine and Javier, although there are some caveats. Telltale hints that you might not be playing each character within the same time frame. On the one hand, Clementine is a character who players might have already had some part in shaping. On the other, Javier is brand new, giving players a chance to decide what kind of person he will become.

Tying into this dichotomy of old and new, Clementine, once under the wing of Lee Everett, is continuing his legacy as she guides a young boy named A.J. through the zombie-infested streets. Fans who’ve played Season Two will know that A.J. is Rebecca’s son. The team purposely incorporated these ties to the past to provide a recap of previous events for newcomers.

The team also revealed a new poster for The Walking Dead that’s a throw back to the original from the series’ debut in 2011. This time around, we see a Clementine who stands on her own without protection, alongside new-to-the-scene Javier. Telltale has plans to print the poster in a special limited-edition run later in the summer, but no details just yet if you’re itching to get your hands on one.

The Walking Dead: Season 3 is set to begin this fall.

From this site

1. ribby says:

Clem looks really strange- or is it just me?

• CaspianRoach says:

The screenshots in this article are distorted, their aspect ratio is wrong. Plus they’ve been overly compressed by multiple JPEG re-compressions. If you check out the original link, they look much better. link to telltale.com

• RaoulDuke says:

Nah, the images have been re-scaled and cropped, technically the aspect ratio of the frame has changed, but the overall image is not distorted. Usually when people say that the aspect ratio is wrong they mean the image is horizontally/vertically stretched rather than cropped, which is what I assume you meant anyway.

link to rockpapershotgun.com

Zoom in on rps link to compare. But you can see them in much nicer quality on the official site, that is true. Woo-hoo for pedantry.

• CaspianRoach says:

I would say that messing with the image’s original aspect ratio is distorting it.

Wiki says Distortion is the alteration of the original shape (or other characteristic) of something, such as an object, image, sound or waveform.

The screenshot was distorted by stretching it by one axis by a higher coefficient than the other axis and then cropped.

Anyway, it doesn’t really matter since the images were changed to correctly fit the article.

2. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Very excited for this. I was assuming that Clementine wouldn’t be back after season 2, but I’m very pleased that that isn’t the case.

Season 2 didn’t hit the incredible highs of season 1 (how could it, really), but I still really liked it. The series has been on an interesting trajectory–in season one you’re an adult trying to protect a little kid, and guide her though a dangerous world as best you can. In season 2 you’re the little kid this time, and you spend the game discovering that the adults around you–even the ones you care about, even the ones who care about you–might not actually have your best interests at heart, and might in fact be actively dangerous. It felt like a refutation of the kind of violent hyper-masculinity found so often in zombie fiction (looking at you, Rick Grimes), and I thought it was a really interesting angle.

And now we’ve got Clem growing older, and having to shoulder more of the responsibilities of adulthood herself. Can’t wait to see where they go with it.

3. Simon_Scott says:

I had certain issues with season 1 (What’s that? You’ve resorted to cannibalism after a MONTH? And you live on a FARM?) so never went beyond it. Happy to watch from a distance though, and enjoyed massively other Telltale titles. Have they improved the engine? The screenshots look much shinier.

• john_40k says:

I believe they have are using their new, upgraded engine that will premier with the Batman game.

4. supercakman says:

**SPOILERS FOR S1 & 2 of TWD Game!!!**

I hope S3 is an improvement over S2. S2 was all over the place. The entire character of Sarah and her inevitable fate felt like a slap in the face of the entire message of S1, and there were too many plot threads that kept starting and stopping with far too little breathing room to actually get to know the characters.

At the end of Season 2, the only people we had come to really know were Clem and Kenny, both carryovers from S1. Jane was weird and undercooked. And EVERYONE else from S2 was either dead or gone.

S1 really felt like it had both PURPOSE and HEART. No one gets left behind. I think the absence of Sean Vanaman could really be felt in S2 (and, oddly enough, COULD be felt in Firewatch, which is what he left Telltale to go write/develop).

• supercakman says:

That being said, the Leave with Kenny or Stay in Wellington (which I kinda think felt the most like TRUE endings) were incredibly well-done and were the strongest moments in the season. Kenny breaking down and telling Clem that he’s a fuckup and that if she listens to anything he’s ever said, she leave him and go inside Wellington was really, really heart-wrenching.

• klops says:

Also in S1 you were an adult protecting a little girl. In S2 the grown-ups were treating Clem like an adult by asking how did that 12-year feel about this and that and could she please fix the machines. Mnnnh.

5. AlexW says:

I stopped playing TWD S2 after the first episode’s main plot revolved around characters not knowing something that was explained in S1 (the bite), and Clem not mentioning it to them for no apparent reason. She definitely knew, but didn’t feel like sharing despite the fact that it could have literally saved her life.

I didn’t feel like giving the rest of the season a chance after that, since I’d heard mediocre things about it anyway. Would anyone recommend I pick it back up and try again? Or was that display of bad writing pretty much par for the course?

• satan says:

I only played the first season, maybe it was just me but every character seemed like a selfish asshole. I mean I know people are stressed and the world is ending, but my god where do these people find the energy to make every interpersonal interaction a screaming match when they’re tired, starving and thirsty (and trying not to bring zombies/bandits down on their heads!).

I mean I know, I know it’s meant to be dramatic, but when everybody ends up spewing vitriol at you no matter what you do or say, well it didn’t make the decisions regarding the fates of characters all that weighty or difficult.

/rant