What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

I suppose this whole bit assumes that the weekend is when you’re most likely to play games but is that true? Are you a weekender or a weeko? Myself, the huge chunks of free time in weekends mean I’m more likely to get out and away – which I can’t do in mornings or evenings. But, you know, if you’ve planning a little weekend play, what will you be up to?

Adam: I’m playing Death Road to Canada. I always get excited by Oregon Trail type things and this is like the zombie version I’ve wanted since Organ Trail got me excited about the idea a few years ago. It’s like a cartoon, with brilliant music that highlights the slapstick rather than the sinister, and there never seems to be more than ten seconds between encounters or tricky decisions. Top stuff so far.
Alec: [Where oh where could Alec be? You tell me, chummo.]
Alice: I’ll be checking out the new Magic Duels expansion, seeing what’s going on as all sorts of horrors spill into Innistrad. And I’m in need of a little gaming comfort, so I’ll likely fire up Deadly Premonition to visit the town of Greenvale once more. Maybe that’s my gaming heart’s home. If all else fails, I shall become drunk near water.
Graham: I’ve spent a few hours this week playing Quadrilateral Cowboy, the first-person 20th century cyberpunk hacking game. That’s what I’ll be giving my weekend to. I’ll reserve my judgement about the rest of its merits till I’ve played more, but it’s extremely clever: in mission design, in style, in worldbuilding.
John: You know, I’m not going to have time for games this weekend. My friend James is coming to stay, and we’re going to watch lots of silly films and quote TV shows from the 90s at each other, as we have since the 90s. And games won’t get a look in. SO THERE, GAMES.
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing the game where you try to work out new things to do with rhubarb that aren’t rhubarb crumble, rhubarb vodka or rhubarb and custard. You could perhaps ask why I ordered more rhubarb given how annoying this game has become. I must have had my reasons but past Pip is a foreign country and she did things differently and now the fridge is overrun with rhubarb and for the love of god how much more crumble can one woman bear?

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

johannsebastianbach says:

As Life Is Strange just arrived on Mac this night, I’ll go ahead and give it a go! Just waiting for the rain to start doing its thing outside the window to calm my consciousness for not going outside.

Edski says:

Life is Strange is fantastic, horrible, and insightful. It’s imperfect but lovely.

cockpisspartridge says:

I went to the beach today and it was worse than DAIKATANA!!!!!! Not recommended……

2. Spacewalk says:

EDF. Might be next weekend too and possibly the one after.

• GWOP says:

Just finished the Brute Force mission last night. The horizon fills up with five-storey tall robots firing artillery at you from kilometers away, giant ants swarming towards you like an incoming rolling wave, the sky getting blotted out by hundreds of flying drones…

Nobody does scale and spectacle like Skyloft.

• GWOP says:

Sorry, not Skyloft. Sandlot.

Also, the game isn’t nearly as dumb as people make it out to be. Without a proper strategy and loadout (this game has over 700 weapons, by the way) that suits each mission, you’ll get wiped out pretty easily.

• Spacewalk says:

Mission 23 is probably the first one where you need an actual plan or you’ll get straight-up murdered by Hectors. It’s a walk in the park with Wing Diver and DLC weapons since you can just get in their faces and Spark Lancer them to death with a couple of shots but if you aren’t using that you’re in for a world of hurt especially if you don’t take out the ones with those long distance cannons first and even then you’ll probably be overrun by the time the cavalry turn up.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I gave this game a try earlier in the week. I got up to the mission with the giant spiders and I started getting the definite impression that I would be enjoying the game a lot more if I was playing in co-op. By that point I was pushing towards the 2 hour mark and still hadn’t clicked with the gameplay so I ended up refunding it.

3. Carra says:

Playing through Far Cry 4, been on my backlog for over a year.

It’s a good game but quite similar to Far Cry 3. You’re still climbing towers, hunting animals, taking over camps and finding the icons on the map. Fun but they’ll need some innovation for their next games.

4. laiwm says:

Games are generally a weekday evening thing for me, apart from the odd Saturday where I’ve got nothing on and take a big bite out of the Witcher 3. Only gaming this weekend is a planned Pokemon Go bike ride.

Lars Westergren says:

After Sin Vega’s review, I have finally downloaded Aurion:Legacy of the Kori-Odan from my backloh. It’s really good.

A little bit of Hadean Lands, the text adventure with the rich alchemy system. Also really good!

A little bit of Pillars of Eternity, I’m about to start the White March so I’ll see some new content. It’s my second playthrough. After the first time, I wondered, “was it really good, or am I just trying to convince myself it is good because I put so much money into the Kickstarter?”. I have more emotional distance now I think, and yes, it really us good.

Tonight I might make a second attempt at the Dota 2 Battle Cup. Last week we won the first match, lost the second. For some reason I ended up the position 1 carry. Worked the first match, not so much in the second. It was close, but then I got killed repeatedly in the late game and we lost. In my defence, I’m almost always position 6 support, I’m used to carries jumping in like idiots and me trying to save them. I thought that was how you played carry! Apparently that was wrong.

• lordcooper says:

I really wanted to enjoy Aurion, but the godawful translation just kills it for me.

• malkav11 says:

I know it’s not cool to gush over interfaces, but my god, the interface for Hadean Lands has to be the best one I’ve ever encountered in a text adventure.

6. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Trying out new shiny Starbound. I discovered last night that they still have that stupid Erchius dungeon in your way (although now you’re limited to just a single planet until you’ve done it) but happily the invincibility cheat code still works so it’s out of the way. Now I can actually explore and stuff!

caff says:

The weather outside is absolutely glorious, so hiding inside with Starbound it is for me too.

When I tried the beta many moons ago, I sunk 36 hours into it, so I must have enjoyed it. I’m sure it’s totally different now.

And I might play some Rocket League. Because always Rocket League.

• Kitsunin says:

Realized I needed cotton, and so finally decided to build a settlement, as I was already planting crops.

The building tools are truly lovely, aren’t they? This is the first time I’ve felt I could easily make something which actually looks gorgeous in such a game. It’s giving me the same creative tingly feeling Minecraft did at first.

7. Mi-24 says:

Got rainbow six siege in the green man gaming sale (£13!) so will probably spend the entire time just bloody downloading it.

Whilst that happens I’m playing Hitman, trying to get Silent assassin suit only on every level, going well so far.

8. leeder krenon says:

Oxenfree, which is jolly decent.

9. Haplo says:

TOTAL WARHAMMER.

particlese says:

Alec has been shriveled up into the Matrix, Lawnmower Man style. Soon he will be calling all our telephones.

Rhubarb pie is in order for Pip. No, it is not just a squashed crumble. Alternatively: Portal cake, assuming the rhubarb is all-purpose.

I will be playing Devil Daggers because I splurged my time on it after 2.5 weeks of glorious game-free vacation and have climbed up from 251 to 289 seconds, and I want more and to get better. I’ve now fought the enemies added in the recent patch and the super snakes (or whatever you want to call them) a couple times, and the thrill is still there, despite familiarity with the first ~200 seconds. I’m even watching other people’s playthroughs to find ways to play better (strategy guides can eat it), which is unheard of for me. It occurred to me my love of this game rivals that I have for Journey, but the emotional overlap is next to nothing, so I think I’m okay with that.

I’ll probably also play Life is Strange since that’s out know Linux now, and since I can’t play even an hour of Devil Daggers without exploding. And maybe Ori will be played, too, since it’s great and I still have the last third of it to go.

particlese says:

“know Linux now” should be “on Linux now” This comment entry box has it out for me.

• Geebs says:

I’ve been back to Devil Daggers, too. Finally broke 2 minutes-ish. It’s brilliant.

particlese says:

Congrats! And yeah it is. The difficulty curve (versus seconds) is this exciting, malleable, hilly thing at high altitude, and around 2 minutes is one of the really good hills.

particlese says:

o_o
      Um…? I just made 309 seconds with 20 minutes left on the weekend after finally figuring out how to outrun the super snakes. It then got even more completely nuts. Of course.

11. AngoraFish says:

RimWorld. In fact, it’s possible that I will be playing it every weekend for the next several years.

12. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Oh god I really don’t know own. I have a free weekend for the first time in ages and now in crippled with indecision, so many half finished and in the backlog. Have been missing some Phantom Pain so I might drop back into that. Oh and Kentucky Part IV now that’s out, although I’m tempted to play through the first 3 again as a build up

Lars Westergren says:

Rhubarb pie is delicious. Or wait, crumble is British for pie maybe? Rhubarb creams then, unless that is the same thing as custard. Lemonade? Uh…chutney?

• MrPyro says:

A crumble is a bit like a pie, except the top is a loose mixture of flour, sugar and butter (plus some spices normally) rather than pastry.

link to jamieoliver.com

• Maritz says:

If you don’t also put oats in the topping you’re doing it wrong.

AutonomyLost says:

I second this.

• Llewyn says:

Lies.

particlese says:

Just to be clear: by “Lies”, Llewyn meant “True”. I’m sure that would’ve been corrected had there been an edit button, but as it is, we have to take the time to construct a whole new reply for such clarifications, and some people just don’t have that luxury.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Chutney is a great shout. Lovely with a bit of a strong cheddar. Yum

Ben King says:

PIP JUST FREEZE IT. Then you can still have a rhubarb pie when all the other neighborhood kids are stuck eating apple in the fall. I’ve had good luck freezing it after slicing it up- once baked I can’t really tell the difference between fresh rhubarb and frozen.

• jmags says:

Just make more rhubarb vodka. Over time you’ll find all kinds of things to mix into it, and everything will be great. And if it isn’t, you can always just forget about it all by chugging it straight.

14. Unsheep says:

@Philippa: rhubarb juice is perfect for the summer !

As for games, this weekend is all about retro gaming.
    On PC: Moonbase Commander, Another World and Terra Nova.
    On PS2: Gran Turismo 3 and WRC Rally Evolved.

15. MrPyro says:

You could make jam as well.

This weekend’s gaming will be the extremely fun “Putting together the components of my new PC” (currently sat in boxes to my immediate right), probably followed by some fun games of “Swearing”, “Bleeding”, “Swearing at Microsoft”, and if I’m unlucky, “Windows re-install”.

16. Lintire says:

Tried playing Bloodborne, got bored because Ludwig’s Holy Blade is the epitome of standard weapons and with no respeccing it’s not like I can just switch builds.

Tried playing Dark Souls 2, got bored because even with respeccing, weapons are either generic or useless.

So much for replaying those, I’m just going to sit here being lethargic and doing that thing where you breathe out heavily with the mouth shut.

Vandelay says:

I am also replaying Bloodborne, although I am not getting bored.

I will agree with you that the weapons and potential builds on Bloodborne are lacking compared to Dark Souls. I have a feeling they wanted to make it less of an RPG and more action focused, which has reduced the possible variety of play that DS offered. It is one of the reasons I would want a sequel, as it is definitely an area that could be improved, along with a little too much reliance on farming (only realised this play through that you are actually told that that is actually one of the purposes of the chalices.)

I still love it though. The setting, tone and feel of the game just gels with me more than the DS games, which I already loved.

• Lintire says:

Oh I don’t disagree, I’ve got a fair few playthroughs in the game. It’s just that there’s very few strength/skill “quality build” weapons and that’s what my character is at.

Chalice dungeons suck ass, though.

17. Fuzzyaardvark says:

I was working my way through my backlog until I saw Death Road to Canada. I managed to ignore the impulse to buy it all day yesterday, but I am weak and it is now purchased. I am really looking forward to playing it.

Herzog says:

Shovel Knight
    Defeated Propeller Knight and now going for the final stages.

Skulls of the Shogun
    Played the first tutorial mission. Seems fun, but not sure if I will stick with it.

Red Orchestra 2
    Fighting more battles at the Eastern front. Did not play for a few years and don’t know some of the ‘new’ maps. So some learning to do!

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Somebody always plays RO2! It’s been a while, I might join you

19. slerbal says:

More RimWorld – I’ve sunk 40 hours into it over the last week! Then possibly try the 1.0 Starbound with friends in coop and if I get time, the Witcher 3. All of this is secondary to doing more building work. Power tools are awesome.

20. NetharSpinos says:

This weekend I will be doing the usual tumble of Total Warhammer, XOM 2 (with mods!), and maybe some other bits and pieces.

I will also be completing the final chapter of Tales of the Borderlands.

21. airtekh says:

Yet more Overwatch and Rocket League.

I have a couple of recent singeplayer games sitting on my hard drive untouched (DOOM, Dying Light expansion) and an XCOM 2 game to finish, but can’t get up the enthusiasm to start playing any of them.

I’m snuggling in under my multiplayer comfort blanket at the moment.

Philopoemen says:

Fallout Resurrection – not sure if it’s good or not, but it’s so familiar and welcoming, like a pair of comfortable slippers. That said I just got to the second town; might go balls up from here.

23. Darth Gangrel says:

Playing Victor Vran, a game that I can finally, honestly say is better than Diablo 2. It’s remarkable that out of all the action RPG’s I’ve played since, none of them have felt better than Diablo 2 in important ways. I really enjoy that the main character is voiced by Geralt and that a voice in his head is voiced by someone who reminds me of the Stanley Parable narrator (it’s not the same guy, as RPS wrote in their WIT of the game).

AutonomyLost says:

I’m still adventuring with the ol’ Geralt through the main Witcher 3 canpaign…

I had forgotten how god damn huge the map, and how extensive the content, is (this is my second playthrough). I’ve not even sailed to Skellige yet. All I want is to finish the story and hit the DLCs, but the time I can allot to the game is very limited during the summer months. Still, it’s immensely enjoyable and the game continues to stun me with its landscapes and resplendent scenery. I. Love. It.

25. Biggus_Dikkus says:

oil colours and brushes

26. Press X to Gary Busey says:

Bed rest until August after a cringe related injury from the Sonic 25th Maximum Embarrassment Party.

27. ZedClampet says:

In between mowing the lawn, working on the pool and swimming, I’ll probably grab a bit of time for Factorio, which I just started playing a week ago. Problem is, once I start that it’s rather difficult to stop.

28. ROMhack2 says:

I’ve noticed Graham is playing Quadrilateral Cowboy, which I find highly unfair because I’m not.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

We can’t all be Graham, but somebody’s got to do it.

Ben King says:

Maybe spectating FarCry primal or the bizarro opening assault in MGSV. I hope to play an hr of Furi, apparently the only way for me to get through it is to practice a wee little bit each day incrementally improving and beating it very slowly. Yes I know I’m bad at shooters. Still enjoy it.

AutonomyLost says:

Ah, that reminds me… I broke my resolution to not buy any more games until I finish The Witcher 3 by purchasing Furi last week.

It looks awesome, though each time I manage to sit down to game I feel obligated (excited, yes, but still obligated) to play nothing else but TW3. Maybe I’ll give Furi a go tomorrow.

30. Anthile says:

Quake and Kentucky Route Zero. What a combination.

Jekadu says:

I’ll be spending roughly 12 hours in a car due to a family thing. I did bring my Surface so I might play some Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition or World of Warcraft, but I need to do some other stuff so I might just end up doing some drive-by Pokémon Go.

32. ukpanik says:

Rimworld. My all female tribe is struggling to survive. 80% have sleeping sickness which is lasting forever. There is a heatwave. Cramped conditions with vomit and blood everywhere.
    My one good huntswoman lost her arm to a cobra!
    Everyone is going berserk. Oh and the raids. Thank the goddess for our five hero elephants.

• preshrunk_cyberpunk says:

Things are looking grim for my RimWorld village. In a period of two days the villagers suffered quite a beating. First was a thunderstorm which started an epic forest fire, followed by a heatwave. Three of them have severe heat sickness, my one surviving skilled hunter got his right arm AND leg torn off after missing his shot and accidentally shooting a cougar.

33. fish99 says:

Finally free of Bloodborne! Finished NG+ including the DLC twice and killed everything in the chalice dungeons. Great game, mechanically a bit of a mess though. One criticism, it doesn’t have much replay value. A souls game plays different whether you’re melee, mage, pyro, cleric etc, but Bloodborne doesn’t really have that. I could use nearly all the weapon by the end of NG+.

Anyway, onto new things, assuming my PC doesn’t melt in this heat.

AutonomyLost says:

Damm, do you mean you eliminated everything in every chalice dungeon? If so, props to you! I cannot imagine myself possessing the kind of discipline and/or mental fortitude to complete such a task.

34. malkav11 says:

Bit of a conundrum this weekend. There are something like four different MMOs I’ve had some reason to pick back up this week, from Lord of the Rings Online (the specter of its license going away next year and perhaps shutting the game down before I’ve had a chance to see the later game) to Guild Wars 2 (the expansion finally went on sale at a decent price and Living World 3 is imminent) to SWTOR (nothing specific except I’m subscribed and thus wasting my money if I don’t play) to World of Warcraft (Legion’s a bit over a month away and I’d like to get a few things done before then). Unfortunately, MMOs are time black holes that don’t play nice with one another, so juggling them is tough.

And of course there’s still stuff that’s not an MMO per se (well, one claims to be but isn’t really). Hex: Shards of Fate has an event on where I can earn a Settlers of Catan homage PvE card that I’d rather like for completing dungeons. Avernum II: Crystal Souls beckons. I knocked out another couple of bits of Zero Time Dilemma but should keep going. I finally installed and tried Hadean Lands yesterday night and spent a couple hours pleasantly puzzling. Would not object to more. Etc.

35. Styxie says:

I’m struggling to get back into Guild Wars 2. There’s just something about the way loot is non-existent that’s making me bounce off it. Guild Wars 2 always rewards you with either mats or different currency types, and this is about as exciting to me as giving an eleven year old book tokens for their birthday.

36. Talahar says:

In anticipation of the Cosmic Star Heroine backer beta that should hit any day now, you guys, for realsies, I’ve been playing other Zeboyd games, mostly Rainslick Precipice of Darkness Episode 3, and I’m having a jolly good time.

Other than that, I might try out some Starbound 1.0, should I be able to get it to run. It seems to be a bit grumpy at the moment. We shall see.

Edski says:

Monster Hunter Generations, doodle. There are other video games?

38. Stoopidity says:

As much as I think trion makes bad games, I just can’t stop playing Atlas Reactor lately. It’s like the best parts of a moba, with Frozen Synapse style gameplay.

Thulsa Hex says:

I feel like my fixations go through cycles between formats and at the moment I’m on a more Japan-y, console-y vibe. After months of not doing much with my 3DS, I’ve made a deep-dive into my very first Monster Hunter: MH4U. It’s a brilliant bloody game and real fun to play online/locally with friends. It reminds me of Dark Souls in that it could almost be a spin-off game for the Warriors of Sunlight. Camaraderie abound.

On the couch, I’m mostly playing my first SMT/Persona game through PS2 emulation. Namely, Persona 3 FES. I’ve gotten far enough into it that it’s properly “clicked” and I’m really enjoying it. I do spend half the time wishing I could get it on 3DS instead, though! Sucks that the main titles in the series seem to stay on Sony platforms as I’d love to get P4G or Persona 5 on PC (and while they’re at it, Atlus could also port Catherine).

I’d also be remiss to not mention Pokémon Go. I wasn’t expecting to enjoy it much but it’s proven to be a real fun companion during the beautiful Minnesotan summer (when it’s not 40°C outside).

• malkav11 says:

Beautiful? The heat index was 111F on Thursday! If I didn’t have to go outside to work I wouldn’t have budged from my apartment.

That said, it only really got bad the last couple of weeks, which is unusual. Usually I’m dying by early June.

Thulsa Hex says:

Haha, I’m loving it! I don’t know if it’s because I’ve had rainy summers my whole life before moving here, but I do really well at 85/95-ish Fahrenheit. 110F definitely was pushing it, though!

• vanhisa says:

Er. Persona is the spin off series like devil summoner, digital devil saga. As far as I know, every mainline Shin Megami Tensei is on Nintendo Platform, since snes, with Nocturne as an exception.

The latest mainline series is in fact released on 3DS, Shin Megaten 4

But yeah, it has more dark theme than the ever popular Persona series

Thulsa Hex says:

Ah yeah, I own SMT IV for 3DS, but haven’t played it yet. I meant that it’s a shame that the main numbered titles of the Persona series (which definitely has its own following outside of mainline SMT, and interest that far surpasses the other spin-offs) are still essentially Sony-exclusive. I’m sure they’d do quite well on PC!

As for Nintendo, 3DS does have Persona Q, but that’s more of hybrid with Etrian Odyssey. I had also almost forgotten that Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE was recently released on Wii U. By all accounts, TMS is more like Persona than anything else it claims to be, and I think it looks real pretty.

40. cairbre says:

As I’m in jolly old England for the weekend there will be no gaming for me.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Did a bunch of old people vote to ban video games too?

• cairbre says:

Lol no but my gaming PC is in Ireland. London is a great place to visit.

41. geldonyetich says:

Starbound is now officially past Early Release, a big fat v1.0, and I’m giving it a serious run.

I recently shelled out for the Fallout 4 season pass. I plan to see how far I can get in Survival Mode, a mode which adds many complications, the biggest of all being that you can’t save unless you rest in a bed. In a game prone to instant unexpected deaths like Fallout 4, that means retread, lots of retread.

No Man’s Sky is still two and a half weeks away, but looks like I’ve got plenty to keep me busy until then.

42. melerski says:

I’ve discovered VRC Pro and have been racing the off road RC truggy/buggys like a mad man

43. tsff22 says:

Hopefully will be picking up EDF 4.1, FFX/X-2 and IS Defense this weekend with the help of a friend.

I TRIED GTA V, but it turns out that I’ve well outgrown the GTA style crime sandbox genre, so refund ho!

44. Karyogon says:

KRZ Act 4 looks good, maybe try out Dunwall trials but I still have some time for all the Dishonored DLC between now and November, maybe finish a FTL run, or try out Brigador or something else from ye olde grand backlog.

45. LennyLeonardo says:

Might try to finish Soma, but then what’s the point? My human flesh died decades ago and I’m just a few lines of data floating in a metal box somewhere in space. Or am I?

Mungrul says:

Started with some Rimworld and Elite: Dangerous, then started up Mad Max which I got cheap recently and figured it might be a good game to test my spiffy new Steam Link and Steam Controller.

Not completely convinced by the controller yet, although I suspect it really shines in games that don’t usually use controllers. The Link’s a fab bit of kit though. Shame I can’t use it to stream video from my PC (well, outside of video in my Steam library that is).

47. Det. Bullock says:

I’m currently on a Mega Drive gaming spree, mainly Thunder Force III (which I’m rubbish at, and it’s one of the *easier” shmups on the system) and Phantasy Star II.

48. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Playing MoonHunters and, well, Minecraft.

49. vanhisa says:

Been playing Duelyst and finally achieved Gold Rank after strugling with lose streak. Its a little bit dissappointment that they made loot crate as their revenue generator on the last update

50. hoho0482 says:

It is possible to save the rhubarb game and come back to it later with the help of a domestic freezer.

My weekend consists of removing kitchen from house whilst awaiting someone with actual skill to come fit a new one.