The Turing Test Gets Release Date, Asks Big Questions

It’s hard not to watch the latest trailer for The Turing Test [official site] and see all the stark parallels between Portal and The Talos Principle. A science fiction first-person game where a robot sidekick guides you through various chambers full of puzzles with themes of transhumanism? Still, despite those on-the-sleeve inspirations, I can’t help but feel drawn in by The Turing Test’s atmosphere and heavy philosophical rumblings. And late last week, a new release trailer revealed that we won’t have to wait too much longer, as The Turing Test is due out on August 30.

Dropping you into the space suite of Ava Turing, an employee of the International Space Agency who arrives on Europa and begins to uncover the shady dealings of her employer and why the Europa station’s residents have all disappeared. And how does one do that? Well, by completing a series of logic puzzles of course! It feels a tad silly considering the more serious tone of the trailer, but for what it’s worth, fellow news-hound Joe Donnelly played a small demo back at Rezzed earlier this year and quite liked what he saw.

From what has been shown so far, much of the puzzles revolve around using your Energy Manipulation Turn (EMT) to transfer energy from one source to another while also picking up and positioning various objects in the environment. Joe said he “got a real sense that there’s an interesting game at work here.” That makes me hopeful, but I’m more interested to see if The Turing Test can actually make good on promises like “solve the human problem” or “transcend the line between man and machine.”

I guess I’ll find out when The Turing Test launches on August 30 on Steam. No price has been announced as of yet.

From this site

1. ZedClampet says:

So if I can’t solve the puzzles I’m an AI? This may have been my problem with puzzle games all along. Looking forward to this, though.

• ersetzen says:

It is if, not if and only if!

So if you can solve the puzzles you are human, but no answer is possible if you fail.

2. Kefren says:

Gah, another trailer with a cliche bass-boom sound effect.

The trailer made me think of Magrunner. Probably not a great comparison.

What’s the betting that the big twist is the same as the one in Soma? [I won’t state it because of spoilers.] “Only a human could solve this” etc + name of game.

I loved Soma.

• Don Reba says:

You don’t understand, the bass is what makes those ramblings deeply philosophical.

3. mercyRPG says:

Meh.. trailer is 5/10

4. Umberto Bongo says:

Shame, I love me some sci-fi but this looks kinda dull.

5. Turkey says:

Is the Turing Test when an AI is so smart that it can distinguish between cheese and petrol?

6. vegeta1998 says:

Talos Principle was one of the worst ‘games’ every critic loved to cram down our throats last year – and now here comes it’s robotic clones…how ironic…

• TheSplund says:

@ vegeta1998 – yeah to me the Talos principle is the modern day equivilant of the highly overrated Myst, a game that looked pretty but fell way short of the likes of Day of the Tentacle. Sure I played Myst (I doubt if I completed it TBH), and I guess if the Talos Principle dropped to a couple of quid then I’ll play that till I get bored, but from what I have seen of the Talos Principle(I played the demo and my mate has a full copy) is that it’s the new Emperor’s Clothes of gaming.

• The First Door says:

You know putting ‘games’ like that in quotes is just silly and makes you sound rather silly too, right? After all, it’s clearly a game, and one that many people enjoyed. Getting upset that people who enjoyed something are telling other people they might like it is just bizarre.

For example: I personally think Overwatch is a bit rubbish compared to shooters like Quake 3, but I’m not going to begrudge critics who enjoyed it and want to talk about it. I just choose not to read the articles about it and move on!

• Poison_Berrie says:

Why is games in quotation marks here? It clearly is a puzzle game. There is undeniably gameplay there, regardless of whether your like it.

• Don Reba says:

A lot of excellent games came out that year, but Talos was my favourite.

Erayos says:

I can almost get why people would put the word game between quotes when it’s one of those walking simulator (I won’t agree but I understand the point), but you’re doing this when you’re talking about a regular puzzle game, I don’t even understand the point you tried to make with those quotes.

7. thebigJ_A says:

So sick of chromatic aberration