Hack The Planet: Quadrilateral Cowboy Released

Pull on your data gloves and slap on your mirrorshades for Quadrilateral Cowboy [official site], the latest from Thirty Flights of Loving and Flotilla developers Blendo Games. Quadlat Cowbo is a first-person heist-o-hacking game about sneaking into places using gadgets, gizmos, and good old-fashioned hacking. It’s from the command line school of hacking, having you tap out commands and scripts to carefully time hacking cameras, laser grids, doors, and such so you can waltz right in. It was jolly special when I played an early version two years ago, so I’m mighty excited that it’s finally finished and out.

Here, you can see some of the hacking and gadgets in the fab launch trailer:

And as you’d expect for a game built on a version of the Doom 3 engine, Quadlat Cowbo supports modding.

Our Graham is tippy-tapping away to tell us Wot He Thinks later.

Quadrilateral Cowboy is £14.24/18,99€/$18.99 on Steam including a small launch discount. Right now it’s only on Windows but Mac and Linux versions are to come. You can also buy Steam keys from Blendo, which I assume gives them a greater cut. You can also pay a few quid extra for the Deluxe Edition including this amazing digital art book:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. plsgodontvisitheforums_ says:

Played the first couple of missions and it’s so beautifully put together. So far the missions are smart and everything has this nice tactility to it. Apart from the mission it also has the setting familiar from 30 Flights and I cant wait to see how the narrative unfolds. There’s a lot more content in it than the previous titles too.

2. Vagrant says:

I just want to say that ‘Twentieth Century Cyberpunk’ is a genre that needs to exist beyond this game, instead of just the typical futurist cyberpunk.

Semi-archaic equipment seems like it would add a wonderful flair in an alt-history tech noir world.

3. TychoCelchuuu says:

I’ve played a bit so far and it’s exactly as amazing as it seemed like it would be. The classic BLENDO Games touches are all there and the core “athletic hacker/coder” sort of gameplay thing is great fun.

4. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Oh my, how did I not realise this was out this week as well? New Kentucky 0 and now new Blendo games games. So exciting

magogjack says:

This was an instant purchase from me and it is on my short list of game of the year.

I just wish I could figure out how to access the leaderboards as I placed well high on a few and would like to see before I am shunted lower….

6. Synesthesia says:

oh boy oh boy oh boy

caff says:

Bought yesterday, will undoubtably love it cos Blendo.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

This game has probably the best Steam description ever:

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I am clearly ready for the digital cyber world.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

When you have a top-of-the-line hacking deck armed with a 56.6k modem and a staggering 256k RAM, it means just one thing: you answer only to the highest bidder.

9. Hyena Grin says:

Bought and beat it. Loved it.

It’s a tad on the short side – I was really hoping the game would open up with big open-ended levels at the end, forcing you to solve the level rather than solve a series of puzzles. Something approaching the level design of Thief 2, with its big open maps and innumerable paths to success. I guess that’s a little harder when your obstacles are puzzles instead of wandering/stationary guards/cameras, but regardless.

I guess I’m mostly just sad that it wasn’t longer, I was very much enjoying the atmosphere, the vague story told in pictures and objects, the method of puzzle-solving, etc. I just wanted it to keep going.

That’s not a bad thing.

• Hyena Grin says:

(It doesn’t hurt that it’s a third the price of a triple-A game, and in that context, its content and length are very much worth every penny)

DelrueOfDetroit says:

How long did it take you to get to the end?

• Hyena Grin says:

Hard to say, since I left it open and idle a lot. Steam says 11 hours, but I’d guess at 7 or so actual playing.

I also happened to have an easy time with the puzzles (regularly below average time per puzzle, according to the completion screens), and others might take longer, or explore more, or try different solutions.

Puzzle game length is always tricky to nail down.