Redwall-ish Ghost Of A Tale Squeaks Into Early Access

The Redwall series by Brian Jacques were some of my favorite novels growing up, so I’m absolutely giddy to try out Ghost of a Tale [official site], an action-RPG where you play a minstrel mouse. It launched into a few days back. With light elements of stealth, Ghost of a Tale lets you explore a medieval keep while you complete quests and interact with its anthropomorphic cast of characters—you know what? Just watch the trailer. It’s oozing with charm.

Ghost of a Tale originally received around $40,000 through an Indiegogo campaign back in 2013, but now the development team—which consists of just five people—is looking to Early Access to get the money to keep going. As Tilo, the aforementioned minstrel mouse, you explore Dwindling Heights keep in search of Merra, your true love. Cute. While the label of action-RPG might lead you to believe that combat will be common, the opposite seems to be the case. “Tilo is not much of a fighter, so stealth and nimbleness are your allies when confronted with enemies twice your size,” reads the description on the Steam page.

Right now, the developers at SeithCG say that Ghost of a Tale is about 90% feature-complete, but the Early Access version has only about 25% of the quests, characters, and locations. Their expected release date for the full version is around six months from now, but of course that’s subject to change.

If you’re as enamored with this cute little mouse as I am, you can pick up Ghost of a Tale through Steam or GOG, discounted to $18/£13.50 until August 1st.

From this site

1. Kefren says:

Looks absolutely adorable. Though I like rats too. I hope they aren’t all portrayed as baddies.

2. SMGreer says:

I’ve put a few hours in and it truly is wonderful. The interlocking world design and ambient storytelling is very Dark Souls but it plays like this stealthy, platforming puzzler that suits the charming setting perfectly.
    So you’ll run about, taking on quests whilst finding shortcuts around the enemies, distracting them or scurrying away.

It’s heaps of fun and is a real looker with some of the most charming animation i have ever seen in a game. It’s also all well written, touching and with some genuine good laughs.

Even with only a quarter of the game in Early Access, I recommend it for folks looking for the thrilling exploration of Dark Souls but with cutesy stealth and characters. Think it’s really special, in a year already packed full of great games.

• GameCat says:

Their animator worked in DreamWorks and Universal, that’s why they have such good animations.

• SMGreer says:

Oh wow, didn’t know that, explains so much. There’s many things I love about the game but that animation is so central to a lot of the feel and charm.

3. Doc Revelator says:

It looks beautiful; so much so that it bypasses all my cynicism.

And it has a giant enemy crab,too.

4. slerbal says:

Looks delightful! I will definitely add this to my wishlist to pick up as soon as it is out of Early Access.

• Seith says:

I understand, but just so you know: we’re going in early access because we have very little money left. For the price of 2 pizzas you’d be getting a pretty good game and help us along the way. Just saying… :)

• Adynod says:

Purchased. Looks absolutely charming and well worth supporting. Good luck with the rest of development!

• AngoraFish says:

Sadly, this could be the worst possible legitimate use for EA. So many EA games are sold on imaginary rivers of cash that 99 times out of 100 don’t eventuate. Subsequently, the game languishes unfinished with a bunch of zombie not recommended reviews while stirring up a ton of customer bad will and burning through its potential Day One early adopter customer base in the process. Not surprisingly, the game then tanks, never to be seen again.

• ctjarrett67 says:

You got my money :) I’ve been watching this for a while now, Had to show my support somehow! Absolutely love it so far.

5. Chiron says:

Well this looks all kinds of gorgeous, having to work hard to stop myself hitting the buy button right away.

(I’ll do it tonight instead…)

6. Unsheep says:

A cool game, but be aware that is a rather demanding game in terms of system requirements, if you want it to look decent and play well.

• Seith says:

One thing though: the next build will deliver a significant improvement framerate wise!

7. Emeraude says:

I’m glad to see that one is still going, had fears it was going to crumble midway at some point.

Wishing the best on it.

8. Vacuity729 says:

I’ve been waiting for this since RPS first mentioned it, and I suppose I still am, as I won’t buy into early access.

On the other hand, I’m not sure I could bear to play it; what… what… what happens if I get the little fellow killed? I don’t think I could ever load the game up again.

9. Zenicetus says:

Speaking of getting killed… how does the save system work? Save on demand? If it’s auto-save only on check points, how far apart?

I really like the look of this, but in my old age as a gamer I’m developing a severe intolerance for having to repeat too much that I’ve already done, when I screw up.

• Seith says:

Hi! There’s an autosave but you can save whenever you want, using save slots (provided you’re in a hiding place).

10. Hensler says:

I usually don’t buy Early Access games – but that mouse is so fawking cute.

11. Binho says:

This looks gorgeous! Will have to get this!

The Redwall MUCK was actually my first major online roleplaying experience :) I also loved those books growing up!

12. Ignorant Texan says:

Seith,

Do y’all recieve a bigger cut from STEAM or GOG?

Or, is the HIB widget better for y’all?

• Doc Revelator says:

Another question, Seith… The writing is really sweet, but there are a couple of errors. Would you like a free proofreader?

• Unclepauly says:

Not sure if serious..

• Ignorant Texan says:

I am absolutely serious. There is a mention of using the Humble widget on the front page of the “Ghost of a Tale” site, but I can’t find a link for it. I really want them to receive as much of the purchase price as possible.

13. alw says:

Mr Squeaky used to live behind my kitchen cupboards and steal my food. He was particularly fond of my instant noodles. I caught him red-handed a few times, but he was too cute for me to get rid of. Over time, he got quite tame and would let me drop food next to him, although he was too wary to actually take it from my hand.

I haven’t seen Mr Squeaky for about two weeks now. My instant noodles remain untouched. I’m actually worrying about him, because there are a lot of cats that wander around the neighbourhood. The video above is reminding me of the Squeaky-shaped hole in my life.

14. PostieDoc says:

Just bought it on GOG. The game looks gorgeous and I want to see more games get GOG releases and not just on Steam.

15. Frank says:

Ah, the reviews on steam suggest that, like Dark Souls, this essentially requires a controller. That’s a shame. Hope there’s another announcement when they fix that (assuming they, unlike DS’s devs, see it as a problem).

• Seith says:

Yes, the keyboard & mouse (ahem) support was wonky at best. It is now fully functional (it will be included in the next update).

16. racccoon says:

From the video its a very really well modeled environment.
    This could pass as a new bard tale dungeon environment. My only beef is the main should of a pigmy dwarf. :) Good to see it on gog!
    Go goggy woggy! kill that silly steamy. I’m diesel 10! lol

17. Levity says:

I read the latest Redwall novel then decided to start from the beginning.

Holy moley the difference in writing quality is stark.

18. Jaykera says:

Having a very good time so far. Like with “INSIDE”, animation is so good it makes actions as simple as climbing a stool fun and rewarding. :)

I’m usually reluctant to buy early access but I had to put my money where my mouth is in this case. Not disappointed so far !

Keep up the good work Seith. :)