Jalopy: Back Seat Driving And The Remains Of Uncle

Jalopy back seat

Alice isn’t here to remind me what “news” is so I’m going to tell you about something which I find infinitely entertaining about Jalopy [official site]. It’s nothing to do with the game itself and everything to do with the ongoing development Q&A Greg from MinskWorks is running in relation to the game.

It’s the back seat. The back seat has been the focus of so many questions that at this point it would be the first thing I would suggest for a Jalopy Q&A drinking game. There’s been the ongoing drip drip drip of questions asking whether the back seat be used for something. But THEN that transitioned into questions/suggestions about how to use the back seat so that people stop asking whether they can use the back seat for something and now, finally, with the addition of filler objects in the back seat to block it off as of 25 July, my favourite question of all:

What is the junk in the backseat for? Why did you block the backseat, or is there a secret purpose for like hiding stuff from border patrol? I would really like to use the back bench seat for smuggling, but only like 2 or 3 small items can fit?

The question of the back seat has expanded well beyond just a repeated question to be sequestered away in an FAQ and then ignored to being an ongoing comedic delight.

I actually have my own theory about the junk in the back seat, by the way. It’s that the rolls of fabric in the back of the Laika are linked to the removal of your uncle as a chatty passenger as you drive to Dresden…

Jalopy back seat

Jalopy back seat

Jalopy back seat

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Pogs says:

Aren’t backseats meant for additional drivers to tell you where you’ve gone wrong or to slow down or to go back after you’ve left the children at home accidentally? I’m talking co-op here ofc.

• Engloutie says:

In other words, it’s for backseat gamers? :D

• MajorLag says:

That was kinda my first thought: Add a mode where other “players” could join you and just occupy your back seat, looking around and having no other interaction whatsoever. Add a VR mode and let the twitch audiences feel that full-immersion road-trip-favorite-streamer feel.

2. AbyssUK says:

Back seat could indeed contain NPC passenger(s) which talk via a twitch style voting system or just says a random tweet every few minutes from a list of “special” celebrities, can you make it all the way without killing them??

Bonus : Buy a car radio upgrade to help drown them out….

• AbyssUK says:

Or why didn’t i think of it before the NPC could just speak out random arguments from youtube comments…

phuzz says:

I’m not a game dev, but I don’t think it’s good business strategy to drive all of your players to jam pencils into both ears.

3. MrBehemoth says:

Backseat developers, huh? Amirite? Huh?

X_kot says:

Actually, that could be a compelling “point” to the game for people who want a reason to travel: you have to transport your uncle’s body to his childhood hometown for burial. And maybe you find bits of writing and photos as you go, something tucked in the visor, another in the glove box, or meet with friends and family along the way.

• alw says:

Kind’ve a slower paced, more European version of ?

• alw says:

I well and truly arsed that up… “version of The Rover” is how I meant to end that comment, with a link to link to imdb.com

I’m so shit at RPS comments :(

X_kot says:

That sounds like a neat film (gonna have to rent it). Definitely slower paced, though, like you say. More along the lines of As I Lay Dying.