Steampunk Courtroom Drama Bohemian Killing Out Now

If you’re looking to stir up your summer video game slump with something a little different, you might be interested to hear that Bohemian Killing [official site] is now on Steam. It’s a non-linear courtroom drama set in 19th century Paris.

Bohemian Killing casts the player as culprit–a young Alfred Ethon, who is suspected in the murder of a maid. All evidence points to you, so you’ll have to prove your innocence by gathering counter-evidence, lying, or even claiming the insanity defense.

Interestingly the game takes place in two points of time. The present sees you on trial in the courtroom. Each question from the judge triggers a flashback, transporting you back to the year the crime was committed and giving you a chance to relive your choices. There are a number of ways to approach your flashbacks, and consequently they’ll have a large impact on how the case is resolved. These branching paths lead to different possible endings, although The Moonwalls suggests that none are necessarily considered “bad”.

The game is fully voiced, featuring the talents of Stephane Cornicardi (Saving Private Ryan, Metal Gear Solid) as Alfred Ethon.

You can snag Bohemian Killing on Steam for Windows and Mac. It costs £12.99/16,99€/$16.99.

From this site

1. Michael Fogg says:

Don’t mean to be exceedingly adversarial, but the few Steam reviews lump this into the dreaded ‘walksim’ ballpark.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Pssh! I’d protest that Steam reviews don’t understand the joys of walking simulators but tbh they don’t even know what they are.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I recently saw a post in the Steam discussions for 35mm with the title “Isn’t walking simulator supposed to be an insult?”

Nope! Not touching that thread with a 20 foot pole.

• Phasma Felis says:

Interestingly, I just looked up that thread and literally all of the responses are basically saying “nothing wrong with walking simulators.”

2. Shazbut says:

Wait, did he turn up to his own murder trial wearing a shirt stained with blood of his victim?

Even Murder Dog didn’t go that far.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Holy university drama department, Batman! That voice acting sure is hammy!

4. MrDowntempo says:

Someone one signed into AIM!

5. Ooops says:

I’m worried that it’s (possibly, I haven’t played it) more than a tiny bit racist. You’re a Gypsy with all the attached stereotypes and you savagely murdered a woman. not just accused of it, you actually murdered her.

I know the Steam description says “But class differences and pervasive racism finally lead to a tragedy…”, so it might agilely dance around the racism issue rather than being racist itself. I don’t know.

I’m interested in the game, but I want this issue cleared before I support the developers.

• mukuste says:

I don’t know, that sounds a bit silly. Wouldn’t that implicitly mean that any murder drama where a non-white, non-male, non-heterosexual person is the murderer is racist/sexist/homophobic/etc?

• Ooops says:

Not for that sole fact, but if there are as many stereotypes as what is suggested in the video, then yes absolutely.

• Misiael says:

Well, I recently played this game, and – while not exactly outright racist – Bohemian Killing is reaaallyyy problematic in this subject. Unfortunate implications all over place, actually.

6. dorobo says:

I think what i’m making now is a walking sim/point and click… not gonna end well.

7. Red_Fox says:

Looks like a good idea with… poor… execution… so to speak..