Have You Played… Supercars International?

Supercars International, the DOS version of Amiga hit Super Cars II, was and is worth playing for one reason: there’s a train rushing across one of the tracks and it will crush the crap out of any car that gets in its way.

A top-down racer with weapon-loaded cars and lots of criss-crossing sections of track, Supercars International always reminded me of playing with Scalextric, except with missiles and lots of other good stuff that I wish my toy cars had been able to use.

The train was the heart of it though. It might seem an odd thing to pick up on but I’d never seen a game with a moving part like that before – the cars move, of course, but here was another actor on the stage. And it was a train that smashed cars into tiny little pieces.

Nudging an opponent onto the track just as the train arrived was way more enjoyable than winning a race.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. GameCat says:

NFS: Underground have a train on some drag racing tracks, if I remember correctly you can even jump over it.

2. GallonOfAlan says:

The demo of the first ‘Crash Time’ game on the 360 had many things going for it, like atrocious voice acting. But the best part was the invincible train, and the hours of fun that could be had causing a traffic jam on the level crossing and watching how far lorries would be thrown.

3. w0bbl3r says:

I did have the amiga version. I loved it for the Alexei Sayle quote, “nice sound bermondsy innit?”, and “allo john gotta new mo-TAH!”.
    The racing was kind of fun as well, but having grown up with Sayle, the young one’s and all that “anarchic” comedy of the late 70’s and early 80’s, some of the stuff in this really tickled me.

4. Chaz says:

Played them both on the Amiga and used to love them, I pretty much ruled at Super Cars in my circle of friends. I still remember the Magnetic Fields splash screen at the beginning with the Wagner snippet from Siegfried’s Funeral.

gritz says:

Levels where you kill enemies with trains are the best. See also: TF2, Gangbeasts.

6. Riaktion says:

Yeah I had the Amiga version, fond memories of this one actually!

7. Jams O'Donnell says:

Thought process:

“What the hell is Supercars International it looks like some kind of Supercars spinoff.”

“Oh wait it’s Supercars 2.”

“That is the best game. Carry on.”

8. Phinor says:

Super Cars 1&2 were among the very best games I ever played on Amiga. No one has ever replicated those games successfully, I wonder if it’s even possible to bring them to modern audiences without losing the essentials.

9. TheApologist says:

Well, I don’t know about your fancy Amigas and your PCs, but I played the original Supercars on the Amstrad CPC 6128 and it was one of my favourite gaming memories. A happier, more carefree time. Lovely.

10. Gothnak says:

It was a great game, more about tactics than all out racing ability. When do you lay a mine, or a rocket or ram another car rather than try and drift around every corner at ridiculous speeds.

11. Themadcow says:

I fondly remember that if you got too far behind in any race, the correct thing to do would be to sit on the other side of a bridge / tunnel waiting to fire rockets at your mate out of spite. In my circle of friends, this practice was referred to as ‘dicking’.

12. CherryPhosphate says:

Amazing game. IIRC entering player one name as Nigel and player two as Mansell unlocked all the weapons and full kitted out the cars. I recall firing barrages of rockets up the straights …

13. StevieW says:

Didn’t know this even existed! Love SCII, you have made my day lol :)

14. GameOverMan says:

I played the Amiga version of Supercars 2 with a friend, great times. A remake written in Java that borrows elements from all the games can be found here: link to jotd.pagesperso-orange.fr