Horny: Total Warhammer Beastmen Expansion Is Out

Those boisterous Beastmen are now stomping around in Total Warhammer [official site], thanks to today’s release of the ‘Call of the Beastmen’ expansion. It’ll cost you £14 to play as that horny rabble yourself but, even if not, they can now appear as opponents in the Grand Campaign. A fairly big free update has launched alongside the expansion, also bringing oodles of fixes and tweaks, drafting the Amber Wizard hero unit for the Empire, adding new multiplayer maps, and more. But back to the Beastmen: here, you can watch a bit of them in action.

Here’s what they get up to on the campaign side:

And here they are having a good ol’ scrap:

Call of the Beastmen introduces the cloven-hoof crew as a playable faction with heaps of their own units and abilities and things. They get a story campaign of their own, named ‘Eye for an Eye’, and obvs are playable in other modes too.

The expansion is £13.99/17,49€/$18.99 on Steam. That seems a touch pricey but hey, it’s not mandatory.

Over in the realm of the free, Update 2 is now out. It fixes and tweaks oods and ends, as patches will, but also includes free extras. The Beastmen become potential Grand Campaign opponents, four new multiplayer maps are in, Sarthorael the Everwatcher becomes a playable Lord, and the Empire get the Amber Wizard. This magical boy can ride a griffon and is the only non-Beastmen unit able to use their Lore of Beasts line of spells, which include summoning crows to peck at eyes, transforming into a manticore, and buffing allies with bonus speed, damage resistance, and damage. I’d mostly be in it for the crows. Here he is:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Bullfrog says:

Gor blimey.

liquidsoap89 says:

I saw Chris Bratt on Eurogamer play through part of this yesterday, and it actually looks a lot better than I was expecting. Perhaps if I had played as the Greenskins and Chaos then some of the race’s traits might not be as interesting, but the Beastmen seemed to have some cool ideas behind them.

It’s still not worth $20 to me though.

• Farsearcher says:

Agreed. It does look good but it’s too expensive. I’ll get the expansions when they’re cheaper. Though I might cave for Woodelves.

• Aszhune says:

I’ll probably cave in for the Skaven :D

• Manco says:

Skaven probably won’t be DLC but a centerpiece of one of the two remaining games considering their popularity

liquidsoap89 says:

Skaven and Tomb Kings will get my money immediately. Skaven because obviously, and Tomb Kings because that’s what I played as when I was a teenager.

3. GenBanks says:

I was hoping there’d be some tinkering with the Grudge system but looks like not… At the moment I’ve got a VH Dwarf campaign with dozens of hours poured into that I can’t win because the Book of Grudges contains the grudge “assassinate a character from the faction: Dwarfs”.

• Horg says:

There may be a way around that if you can provoke a rebellion in your home province by destroying all buildings and mass raiding. If a Dwarf rebel stack spawns, assassinating the leader might clear the grudge. It works for factions that have been eliminated but still have active grudges against them.

FhnuZoag says:

Some patch comments: seems like the main thing with this patch is a major buff to offensive magic, along with an increase to cooldown timers.