Hearthstone’s Next Adventure: One Night In Karazhan

“One night in Karazhan makes a hard man humble!” Murray Head almost sang in 1982. “Not much between despair and ecstasy.” Though it’d be another dozen years before Warcraft first came out, and two decades more before Hearthstone [official site], clearly he knew. “One night in Karazhan and the tough guys tumble / Can’t be too careful with your company / I can feel Medivh walking next to me,” he almost sang. And he was almost right: Blizzard have announced that the next Hearthstone Adventure add-on is ‘One Night in Karazhan‘, venturing to Medivh’s magical tower.

Medivh is throwing a right rager and you’re invited. In typical Hearthstone Adventure style, it’s a singleplayer expansion with different ‘wings’ to raid in search of rewards – shiny new cards. Yes, while it’s styled is a huge bash in Medivh’s tower, I’m sure you are more interested you’re going in the cards than the festivities.

“One town’s very like another,” Head sang dismissively, “When your head’s down over your pieces, brother.”

But remember the message of his backing singers: “It’s a drag, it’s a bore, it’s really such a pity / To be looking at the board, not looking at the city.”

Do try to enjoy the celebration, won’t you?

One Night in Karazhan will kick off on August 11th. This particular Adventure will have a free Prologue chapter, which offers two cards as prizes. Beyond that, it’ll be $19.99 to buy into all four wings or they’ll cost $6.99 each then offer discounts on buying the rest.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Top comments

1. Dingobloo says:

Whadda'ya mean! You've seen one crowded, haunted, stinking tower...
  1. Dingobloo says:

Whadda’ya mean! You’ve seen one crowded, haunted, stinking tower…

2. The Great Wayne says:

As a once-regular-player-of-M:TG tabletop version in the 90’s, I’ve tried to get into Hearthstone. I’ve really tried, but I don’t know why, it didn’t stick and I’ve never found the kind of enjoyment I used to get out of the venerable ancestor.

Maybe it’s the dumbed down mechanics, or the fact that a lot of players got the same cards, the same decks and that everything is out on the web for everyone to see – instead of designing decks from your meager collection during winter weekday evenings, jubilating at the idea of unleashing chaos on your fellow players on weekends, in the dark backroom of some boardgame shop… or maybe I miss the smell of freshly opened booster packs. God, I loved that smell. It smelled like victory.

• Steven Hutton says:

I miss the complexity of combat math and stack interaction from magic. But I certainly don’t miss passing priority 100 times per turn and games being randomly decided by manascrew.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

I’m a little surprised that M:TG has never done much to improve its core mechanics. There are some obvious fixes, like moving basic lands to a separate library which you can opt to draw from.

Passing priority is of course not really a problem in person, but somehow it’s agonizing even against AI opponents in the computer games. There are probably ways to improve the UX there without touching the actual game mechanics.

• Trifling_Gnome says:

I think expecting any video card game to be as deep as the best tabletop games is going to end in disappointment. The thing that really screws the M:TG video games is acting on your opponent’s turn (especially with interrupt effects); that simultaneously seems like the most annoying thing to implement well in a turn based video game and the sine qua non of richer card games. Hearthstone is a really excellent game, but it’s designed foremost to be played on computers and, as such, it was never going to have the depth of a Magic, Vampyre or Netrunner.

• Zmobie says:

When I first started playing Hearthstone I got kinda upset about not being able to act on the other players turn (and the fact that the opponent could attack any of my characters on board without my say-so) and though that it was rubbish compared to MTG. But when I now play MTG with my mates and their cube it seems like alot of it revolves around OTK and infinite combos, rather than value/tempo play and incremental advantage, and I find it incredibly boring.

Granted, this can just be down to how they’ve assembled their cube and that they like that kind of play. But by god I also miss the smell of freshly-opened boosters.

3. Thankmar says:

When TGT was released, I complained about the humor overwhelming Warcraft. It was pointed outcorrectly to me that Hearthstone was tounge-in cheek right from the start. I felt a little dumb for not noticing that, and since I got never around to post that and a thanks for the hint, it clung to me.

Just wanted to get that off my chest. You could say I post this just for myself, which is true, but its also true that if I wouldn’t post it here, it would still hang on. So thats that. Have a nice day.

4. Carra says:

I don’t remember that the Karazhan raid had disco music. I must have played it wrong.

5. LexW1 says:

After more than ten years of WoW, I really feel like if WoW was this willfully silly all the time, rather than whiplashing from about 70% of this level of silliness to utter, po-faced pretension, it’d be a much better game, and somehow perhaps even actually more “immersive”, simply by being much more internally consistent.

Anyway, almost makes me want to play Hearthstone again. Almost.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

I appreciate the full embrace of WoW’s silliness too, but on the other hand hearing the same mediocre joke starts to wear thin after the billionth time.

I’m just thankful they hid their worst jokes away in the flavor text, which you can’t even view while playing a game.

• jjujubird says:

I’d have to disagree. I think it strikes a pretty good balance.

Look at Wildstar (Wildstar’s approach is pretty much exactly what you are suggesting) and see how much people hated the pure silliness direction (granted, that’s not the only reason Wildstar failed. But a lot of people who played the game talked about how annoying it quickly became.)

• Xerophyte says:

In general I’d agree, but I also think that one of the main issues with Warlords of Draenor (and my main fear for Legion next month) is that Blizzard opted to forego smaller scale stories in favor of making things “savage” and “epic”. That’s okay for a game you play for a few evenings, much like a constant setting of “wacky cartoon” is fine, but it’s just draining as the one mode allowed in an MMO. I usually like alts but pushing characters through Frostfire has been soul-sucking in a way that Jade Forest never was.

Mists of Pandaria did a much better job of actually varying both the mood and the stakes. You had light-hearted adventures (rescue a brewery from drunken monkeys and sentient beer), smaller scale quests (escort a caravan over the mountains) and also longer fate-of-the-world-in-balance plots (stop the heavy metal locusts from murdering all of bearkind). If that’s tonal whiplash, eh, more of it please.