Look At You, Backers: System Shock Kickstarter Ends

The Kickstarter campaign to crowdfund a remake of System Shock [official site] ended yesterday and – surprise surprise – the news is good. Shooting for $900,000 (£680,000-ish), Night Dive Studios drew $1,350,700 (about £1.02 million) in pledges from 21,625 backers. Turns out, quite a few people would like to see a remake of Looking Glass Studios’ classic sci-fi horror. Who knew! Now begins the wait until December 2017, when Night Dive plan to release the game.

I do really like that the remake is still keeping the angular architecture of the original game, though my knuckle tattoos have something to say about its texture filtering. I’m always fond of turning technical limitations into artistic flair, and it does look really good in the remake’s blue-green light. Alec compared the original and the remake, if you want to see more of that.

That $1,350,700 total means Night Dive hit several stretch goals. They’ve committed to Mac and Linux versions, support for the Razer Chroma light-up keyboard (go figure?), localisations in French, Italian, German, and Spanish, and new locations, crew members, and audio logs not seen in the original game. They fell $50k short of committing to adding even more areas – new Groves, new floors, and more cyberspace are examples they gave. The vague “RPG elements” once listed as a stretch goal have been rolled into the game anyway but, don’t worry, they’re not nearly as bad as they might have sounded.

Do remember the $1,350,700 includes all sorts of fees Night Dive will have to pay for the Kickstarter, plus the costs of manufacturing and sending backer rewards, plus… it’s not as much as it looks. Just a reminder.

So! December 2017. If you fancy a teensy peek now, the Kickstarter demo is still on Steam and GOG.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Grizzly says:

Look at you, backer. A pathetic creature of meat and bone. Panting and sweating as you throw money at the screen. How can you challenge a perfect memory?

2. Geebs says:

I nearly backed this one, but these days my credit card gets blocked by the bank* every time I use it for Kickstarter. Really looking forward to it, though.

*other things my card gets blocked for: every transaction which is completely characteristic of my spending pattern. I think the panopticon has a crack somewhere in my vicinity.

Lars Westergren says:

SHODAN disapproves of you spending money on frivolities and terminated your transactions.

3. braven5 says:

I hope they follow it up with a SS2 remaster as well

• Scripten says:

I almost feel like SS2 would benefit more than the original from updating. It seemed to have a lot more areas that annoyed me, but that may just be selective memory.

• carewolf says:

That is bioshock, and SS2 was not as good as the original. It is way too arcady in comparison.

• J.C. says:

Probably not likely on the SS2 remake. Stephen Kick thinks SS2 is fine how it is, and so do I frankly. SS2 is so widely known and revered, which is the reason they are doing SS1 instead which is more obscure and possibly overlooked by many in its day.

Watch the interview here: link to youtube.com

• Simplex says:

I disagree, SS2 was already pretty outdated technically on release (courtesy of Dark engine).

4. Silbergeist says:

Now, there’s a “donate via Paypal” option on the Kickstarter page, but it doesn’t work. If there’s still the possibility to help, I would love to.

• Cockie says:

The devs said on Reddit the paypal pledging system will be brought online soon, so check back in a week or so.
      (the paypal will apparently also still count toward some stretch goals)

5. Sheng-ji says:

HEY!!!

Grrrrrrr….. I asked Kickstarter to email me just before the end!

Oh but they emailed me all about some perfume, gee thanks!

6. engion3 says:

Never played it, better late than never.

caff says:

Very happy this succeeded. I never played the original game, but loved the original second after discovering it on GoG.com last year.

I’m just sorry if the remake offends any purists but I don’t care – I want the atmosphere and whatever this remake can improve!

gritz says:

They really nailed it with the demo.

9. slerbal says:

December 2017 they say? So mid 2019 is when it will actually come out I guess, given the typical Kickstarter unrealistic/pre-stretch goals deadlines. Cool, I shall look forward to playing it in 3 years.