What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

I’ve not managed to shoehorn it in anywhere else this week, so: isn’t Stranger Things nice? Don’t play video games this weekend until you’ve seen it. And don’t watch this trailer if you think you might be tempted – I’m only linking this for the people with no intention of watching it, so they can make snap judgements. And definitely don’t look at this fab adventure game mockup until you’ve watched it (‘cos spoilers, yeah). But after you have, what will you be playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on:

Adam: [“Adam has been out and about and and around generally very busy, and as such cannot tell you,” reads a letter from Adam’s mum. Fair enough!]
Alec: I am playing 60s-set dystopic survival affair We Happy Few, which so far is reminding me of Brazil, in all the best way. Also the bins look like decapited Daleks, so I am naturally well pre-disposed towards it. I’ve also ended up revisiting C&C Tiberian Sun after Have You Playing it the other day, and am horrified by how ancient it seems. Not because it’s too old-fashioned to play – it isn’t – but because I’ve held in my head as super-flashy and modern for the last 15 years and am now horrifyingly aware of how ancient I am.
Alice: I’m trying to get through my list of Stuff I’ve Been Meaning To Do Around Edinburgh before the Festival starts and the city doubles in size, swollen with literally thousands of comedians, human statues, comedians, musicians, storytellers, performance artists, jugglers, poets, and – god help me! – improv troupes, not to mention tourists come to see them. I’m really excited but it does form an impenetrable human wall across the heart of the city for a month.

What I intended to play, though, is Duke Nukem Forever. For real this time.

Graham: I’ve finished Quadrilateral Cowboy now, which means I can turn attention to the game I’ve been burning to play since Brendan wrote about it a couple of weeks ago: scifi colony management sim RimWorld. I’m crossing my fingers for anecdotes of colonists cutting off their wrong arm, and I’ll write about it if I discover anything close.
John: I really fancy actually playing something this weekend, but the chances are never great. I’m thinking of seeing if the Amazon Fire has anything worth playing (and indeed if it’s compatible with anything other than their ridiculously overpriced controller) to see if I can distract my 21mo from his incessant 6am demands to watch awful monster truck cartoons on YouTube.

What I’d LIKE to play is Abzu, uselessly sat on my hard drive, unloved. But it’s unlikely to happen.

Philippa: This weekend I will be playing a complicated game where I try to lure a ruby-tailed wasp back to the garden. It started to get complicated when I realised I personally have nothing to offer a ruby-tailed wasp, but they do like to parasitise mason bees so now the plan is about luring mason bees with the hope of seeing the wasp again. It’s like when you fancy a guy so you invite his friend to a party hoping he will turn up. Except in this case the party is a nut party and the person who is friends with the guy you like is allergic to nuts so you don’t mention the nut party and hope you’re not looking suspicious. At this point it’s become complicated enough that I probably won’t bother executing it so don’t worry about the bees. But I will think about it really hard.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Yachmenev says:

Slowly working my way through the beautiful looking Headlander, which really is ticking that old Metroid nerve, with exploration and upgrades. The OST is also something special.

My last attempt at a game like this was Guacamelee, but I gave up on that because of the frustrating level design and awful humour. Headlander is so far much more enjoyable.

Also been trying to get into Offworld Trading Company, a game that impresses me, but feels quite difficult so far.

2. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Roleplaying as an angry goat trying to destroy the world. (That’s the strategy game where you do this, to be clear, not the third-person roflragdollsimulator.)

Also possibly storming Starbound’s story, trying to cheat through the game before the developers remove the ability to do so. Just don’t want to be stuck again like with Erchius (which I have now legitimately beaten, incidentally).

• Bernardo says:

What strategy game is this?

Captain Narol says:

My first guess would be that he is meaning the “Call of the Beastmen” DLC for “Total War : Warhammer”, but maybe he is a gentleman of great taste and he is playing instead the free “Warsword Conquest” Mod for “Mount&Blade” as in that one you can effectively play as a Gor leading an army of beasts to conquer to whole old world and not just a tiny portion of it (until Sega publish the next 2 games of the Warhammer franchise with their armada of expensive DLCs…)

• Bernardo says:

Ah, thanks. Haven’t yet gotten to TW: Warhammer. Looks great, but I won’t have the time for a while. M&B is one of those that’s been sitting in my GOG shelf for ages since a sale, but again, time…

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Yeah, total warhammer. (I am not a man with great taste.)

3. Michael Fogg says:

I’m playing Baldur’s Gate TftSC, the gloriously unenhanced version. Does anyone know at what level it makes sense to delve into the expansion pack areas? I only played the vanilla game back in the day. My team is around levels 4-5 now.

• Fleps says:

I envy you! I’d love to be playing this for the first time…

I remember the TftSC areas all being pretty tough – I think they were designed for a party that had already finished the main game. Some of the loot is definitely better.

4. Spacewalk says:

Still EDF.

• GWOP says:

I’m hoping EDF 4.1 grows a modding scene – my Wing Diver (best class, fight me) needs an outfit that isn’t so ugly.

• Roald Hoffmann says:

Q: Why did you join the EDF?

A: It only seems that way.

5. brucethemoose says:

Modding has come a long way in Stellaris. After combing through the Steam Workshop, I’m finally starting my second playthrough this weekend, before Paradox gets back from vacation and breaks them all again.

After seeing the sector AI ruin a few planets, I’m sure I’m not the only one who uses a “more core worlds” mod… If you do or if you dont, I HIGHLY recommend the “auto improve buildings” mod.

Captain Narol says:

I need to make some room on my hard drive for “No Man’s Sky”, so I should try to finish Telltale’s “Game of Thrones” to clear some space…

I only played chapter One so far when it got out and was not really convinced by it but I want to know the end of the story anyway, being a die-hard GoT fan !

I also have on my plate a CKII game I want to finish, the Golden Horde just arrived and the Aztecs should be there soon too, so its gonna shake a little the hegemony of my Russian Empire (from Lotharingia to the northwest of India) and make the endgame more fun and interesting…

I also recently went back to “Pro Cycling Manager” (took the 2015 edition rather than the 2016, not only cheaper but also less buggy and you find updated databases anyway), spent years on that series in the past and it feels like making out again with an old girlfriend as the gameplay didn’t really changed after many years of break…

• Pan Vidla says:

It’s just as needlessly cruel to it’s characters as the TV show, only it’s a lot shorter, so the chunks of violence are packed closely together. However, I really enjoyed the story, so I recommend being patient with it.

• tigerfort says:

I take it you’re talking about “Pro Cycling” here? I don’t remember a Crusader Kings TV series, but might just have forgotten it…

Captain Narol says:

There is indeed a Crusader Kings TV series and that’s the one that Pan Vidla is speaking of, but it’s strangely called “Game of Thrones” instead ! (Btw I cannot recommand enough the “GoT” mod for CKII, it’s a pure jewel)

• Pan Vidla says:

Yes, I was indeed talking about Game of Thrones :).

7. batraz says:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE to soothe my eyes after too much Rimworld… Ok, not pc gaming but polished and good looking stuff.

8. Geebs says:

I finally got around to Rise of the Tomb Raider. So far, so exactly like the last game i.e. good but not the modern PoP I really want.

There is a really odd thing about it though, which is that the animation is so good that everything seems strangely off, because the voice work is so crap and totally fails to pick up on a bunch of nuance that comes across really strongly in the facial expressions.

The really weird part is that it’s the same actress doing voice work and motion capture. I can only imagine that the animator was having a really, really good day at the office.

9. shrieki says:

small doses of Grip and Flying Tigers : Shadow over China

maybe larger dose of The Forest which i tried again last night and it seems to have evolved quite a bit.i think it´s going to be launched soon.

10. Raoul Duke says:

Still playing, and loving, MGSV. They managed to adjust the levels of obscure Japanese idiocy and gameplay this time around perfectly. MGS4 had great combat/stealth bits, the problem was you weren’t allowed to play for more than three minutes without a totally ridiculous cutscene playing for 15 minutes. And it’s a joy to play a game that genuinely embraces letting players approach things however they choose without relying on lazily making everything punishingly hard in order to be a ‘challenge’. Brilliant, brilliant game. In a weird way, it’s sort of what I wish for in a proper Deus Ex sequel, too.

A bit of Chaos Reborn, not really my cup of tea, too many not especially intuitive rules to remember.

Also a bit of Spelunky… sorry, I don’t get it. It’s like a bad version of an old NES game? I think that’s heresy around here.

• theapeofnaples says:

Er, when was the last time you played a NES game?

Spelunky is tight in concept and execution. (Aside from the shitty raging shopkeepers. IT WAS THE SNAKE SPITTING AT YOU FFS, NOT AN ATTEMPTED ROBBERY, YOU FOOL)

• Raoul Duke says:

Actually, I have a lot of old arcade games/hardware, so I play old games quite a bit. I don’t find Spelunky particularly ‘tight’ compared to any of the golden age platform games from Nintendo, Sega or arcade systems. On top of which I find the gameplay fairly uninspired and the graphics bland.

But obviously I’m missing something – I will give it another go and see if it clicks.

Ben King says:

I’m gonna play some MGSV too! I’m never clever enough to not attempt a mission anything other than head-on, after which I get caught, then end up murdering 1/2 the base and recieve a D rating. Somehow I still balloon out enough people that my heroism keeps increasing… I really am enjoying the freedom to fool around without worrying about a critique in the side ops, but I feel like there are so many hidden mechanics I’ll never do half the stuff that’s available… who knew your horse poo could take out a jeep? Not me. Also with any luck my friend will run a short D&D session for me and my GF Sunday and as usual I’ll probably be spectating as she plays FarCry Primal.

• welverin says:

Killing us isn’t killing your rating, being slow is. Speed trumps all else, and while the stealth bonus and not taking penalties for kills is helpful, they don’t compensate for the bonus for do the missions fast.

If you want to S rank missions, I highly usggest waiting to try until after you play through them the first time.

• Raoul Duke says:

The ranking system is a bit odd, basically you can get an S-rank either through perfect stealth regardless (within reason) of time, or by just being really, really fast even if you are violent. Or, a third option, being fairly fast with your violence but being super accurate, i.e., lots of headshots, high accuracy, not getting shot much yourself.

This is one of the many things I like about the game, though. I play missions how I feel like playing them, then I can play the same mission another 2-3 times trying different strategies and seeing what works. There is very rarely only one ‘right’ way to get a high rank and complete a mission (and the ones that basically do force a particular approach, i.e., crappy Skulls missions, are pretty much the worst ones).

11. Fuzzyaardvark says:

I decided to give Book of Demons a go after seeing it on here yesterday. Glad I did. I am only a couple of hours in so far, but absolutely loving it.

12. Bernardo says:

I’m playing “staring at a Word processor until my manuscript magically transforms into something publishable”, while destracting myself with Rimworld, which I’ve rediscovered since an intense session at the beginning of its EA. It soothes me to no end. I’ve also discovered that I like Starbound a lot more than I thought, given that I bounced off Terraria hard.

Lars Westergren says:

Stranger Things really was great, I saw the last episodes yesterday night. Watching it brought back memories from my childhood – scenes, houses, films, even people I had forgotten about for literally decades.

Games – yeah I don’t know it’s too hot and sunny. Apparently there is this thing called summer going on that I’m finally surrendering to.

Lars Westergren says:

One of the memories it brought back –

I was the age of the kids in Stranger Things (perhaps a few years older) and was home alone a spooky rainy autumn evening. I was reading Dean R Koontz, my favorite and I was convinced he was the greatest author ever before reading more than 3 books and starting to realize even as a kid how formulaic they were. End of the book, the last survivors are on an abandoned construction site, and the monster is somewhere on the site, stalking them. I was terrified and could barely continue reading but I couldn’t stop either.

Suddenly there was a very loud bang from the bottom of the stairs in my house, like someone jumping onto the first step with booth feet. Blood turned to ice, hair standing on end, and I don’t know if it is possible but it certainly felt like my heart stopped beating completely for several seconds. I sat completely still for what must have been at least 5 minutes, trying not to make a single noise, utterly convinced someone or something was in the house with me. Hyperventilating through the nose, cold sweat dripping off my face into the book. When I finally dared to move, I turned on all the lights on the floor, didn’t dare to go down to check until my dad came home. If I had seen or heard something more that convinced me something was coming up the stairs I likely would have jumped out through the second floor window.

House settling, sudden tensions in the wood releasing probably. But I never heard something like it before or after in the house.

There. My little 80s Stephen King/Dean R Koontz story.

• Kefren says:

Sounds like my childhood, hopping from Stephen King’s “It” to Dean Koontz “Phantoms” and then trying their other books. Both have written some great stuff, and some less good stuff – but that applies to any writer. It’s impossible to keep rewriting the same story or it becomes stale; if you change anything from the formula you’re bound to lose readers the other way.

Someone told me about Stranger Things this week, some cross between Stephen King’s “It” and “The Body” (Stand By Me). Sounds good. I don’t have Netflix though. Too bust watchign my way through every episode of 70’s/80’s series (Thriller, Hammer House of Horror, Tales of the Unexpected).

I wrote about one of my own supernatural experiences in an interview recently, sounds similar(ish) – and I included my diary entries from the time. link to grabthisbook.net

• DThor says:

I seriously, honestly don’t understand the appeal of ST – but then I *hated* the Goonies and E.T. was the beginning of the fall of Spielberg (before he rose again) with the insipid dialog and After School Special plot lines. I get it’s got nostalgia value, but *everything* is predictable, the dialog sounds written by a teen(sorry, teens, that was unfair), and the endless *boo* moments are cheap and obvious, just like Hardbodies. If you’re going to turn your back on gaming this weekend (!), watch something truly awesome like season 2 of Fargo.
      I need to devote time to Art of Warhammer – I know I’ll love it, just having a hard time wrapping my head around the GUI.

AutonomyLost says:

I began watching Season 2 of Fargo this last week. And wow, it is spectacular thus far. I finished the fourth episode last night and am quite excited to see where it leads throughout the next six. Good call.

14. Pan Vidla says:

My main graphics card on my laptop had died recently, so I have to stick to not very demanding games. I am slowly making my way through UFO: Aftermath, which is surprisingly fun, even if a little repetetive. I would also like to replay all the currently released acts of Kentucky Route Zero, because it’s an incredibly lovely game. And last but not least, I would like to get closer to finishing the first Fallout game. The world is surprisingly small. Last time I played it (could be 10 years ago) it seemed vast.

• Sin Vega says:

The UFO Aftereight series are really interesting. Flawed as hell, but interesting. They get better with each sequel too, though never quite overcoming their weaknesses.

15. Metalfish says:

I’ve very much grokking what Pip is saying in a way that slightly frightens me.

I will be going to the gym for the first time since messing my hand up… …at the gym. And then I will be going to the opera for the first time ever. I feel like either could end in hideous injury.

16. fuggles says:

Dear reader, I am putting the last tweaks to the final dawn of war soulstorm army that I will personally be modding into the game. A long and happy road, but I’m done now!

17. yogibbear says:

I installed my eVGA GTX1080 FTW and upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday, so naturally was playing GTAV Online for the first time ever properly (having not touched it after finishing the single player), as well as checking out Forza 6: Apex UWP (urggh… it’s not great), and have installed and intend to start Rise of the Tomb Raider.

• Raoul Duke says:

As in, gameplay, or all the pay to win nonsense and UWP are not great?

• yogibbear says:

I think the driving bits were OK, it’s more than the game just opens up with a lot of control taken away from me menu wise… like if I were to compare it to Gran Turismo series where you have really quick menu movements in response to your inputs on the controller, in Forza they for whatever reason have all these loading screens that login to Xbox App and then the in-game menu screens have voice-over for the sake of it, with no skip, and then a video, with no skip, and then loads to next menu which takes another 15 seconds to load, only for it to be downloading trashy online shared car skins, and then I have to click another button to get to manufacturer’s paint / normal single colour metallic paint jobs. Mind you I’ve installed the game to an SSD, so honestly it’s really frustrating. The actual driving seems fine. Although the cars look good, the tracks themselves are kinda ugly.

• Raoul Duke says:

If its UI is bad enough to cause you to praise Gran Turismo’s UI then it must be bad (disclaimer, I only played GT5 on PS3 which had the slowest menus in human history). The online stuff sounds dreadful, which is a shame. Thanks for the info, sounds like one I’ll skip despite seeing some very pretty screenshots.

18. Aetylus says:

Finishing off Deus Ex Human Revolution, followed by a generous serving of Rimworld (Both rather lovely games).

Also a bit of Pokemon Go (The ideal game to play with your four year old on the way to the park) has prompted me to some emulated Pokemon diamond.

19. KieranFurie says:

Dragon Age Inquisition. Playing it compulsively, this is the third week and I’ve put a lot of time into. Haven’t played anything else.

I’m not sure I’m enjoying it though. Just running slightly aimlessly about the maps after glowing diamonds. Don’t care about any of the characters at all. Not at all moved by any of the story so far but I’ll still be launching after I have rattled this panini.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

That’s generally the consensus on DA:I. It’s fine, but it’s not exciting, and it’s tough to care about the characters. Also, everyone looks like they have really greasy hair for some reason.

That said, I’ve been replaying it off and on for the last few weeks too. I’ll be really glad when a new immersive story-driven game comes out.

• malkav11 says:

I haven’t found it particularly hard to care about the characters, and even the main plot gets reasonably interesting once the villain’s introduced. There’s just a lot of stuff in the game that feels like padding. The little magic rocks you can pick up that are ALL OVER THE PLACE, for example. I eventually found what they’re used for and it’s not completely meaningless, but it sure is a lot of busywork nonetheless.

• welverin says:

If you’re still in the Hinterlands, stop trying to clear the whole map up and move on to another area. Also just avoid doing all of ghe random side quests.

After doing that you’re still not invested, the game probably just isn’t for you.

20. Genghis Jap says:

Haven’t played in about 2 weeks now sadly. I recently bought new components to update my system. Turns out something is broken and now my precious rig is out for repairs.
    Now I can’t play I realize I spend lots of time gaming……

21. Unsheep says:

Playing some Dex and Sheltered on the PC.

Some retro gaming on my PlayStation 2, with MotoGP 04 and Grand Prix Challenge.

I miss the days when different developers could do an F1 game, not just one, year after year.

A developer should be limited to 3 games for any given license: F1, MotoGP, WRC, Madden, NHL and so on.

Sure, if no other developer is interested in a particular license, for example with the DTM and WTCC series, then by all means extend the license.

However, when it comes to series that several developers might be interested in covering, like F1, WRC and MotoGP, there should be a limit to how many games a single developer can make within that license.

This system would be much better for the gaming industry.
    Let Codemasters do a WRC game, let Sector3 or Reiza do an F1 game, let Nordic Games (with their ex-THQ staff) make a MotoGP game and so on.

22. deadlybydsgn says:

Mechwarrior Online. Don’t laugh. The gameplay is a lot of fun, regardless of how much frustration or disappointment its developers have caused.

magogjack says:

Also there is a light mech leaderboard event so its a great opportunity to actually pilot a heavy…

• ludde says:

Ugh, glad I dodged that bullet. You sound like I used to a few years back, only with World of Tanks.

Yeah I’m never touching another free-to-play game ever again.

• manio22 says:

More than 3k hours on Planetside 2 and still going. Not all F2p games are the same, you know.

Herzog says:

Getting in the groove for Skulls of the Shogun. Not going full berserk has proven a better solution. Always need some time to get into tactical games.

Also finishing off the single player campaign in Medal of Honor. Got it way back in the EA Humble Bundle. Part of the ‘clearing the backlog’ mission.

24. Talahar says:

I’ll finish the prequel DLC to Rainslick Precipice of Darkness Episode 3 today, after finishing the main story yesterday. After that, I’ll probably start Episode 4. And maybe some Just Cause 2, Skyrim or Arkham Origins as palate cleansers.

25. stringerdell says:

with so many great games out there why put yourself through duke nukem forever?

cockpisspartridge says:

In between getting stressed about moving house I’ll be trying to wittle down my pile of shame…………..come in Nazi Zombie Trilogy. Your time is up (unless I get distracted by something else first).

cockpisspartridge says:

turns out that nazi zombie trilogy’s time was only 4/15ths up due to a game stopping bug involving a door not opening. piece of crap…………….

AutonomyLost says:

Lots of The Witcher 3… still.

I recently began undertaking the bevy of quests on Skellige and am advancing the story ahead at a pleasant pace. Those DLCs are so close I can nearly taste them.

Also, perhaps more Furi.

Also also, playing around a lot with an amazing new piece of musical gear I got this week. That’s really where my excitement lies this weekend.

• Bernardo says:

I’m at a point in Witcher 3 where I deliberately go slow, take in all quests, and wait between sessions, because I don’t want it to end. That’s a feeling that I last got with some very precious books years ago.

• Jonfon says:

Following a successful upgrade from an nVidia 560 to a 970 I too am mired in The Witcher 3. Not long in Novigrad and Velan is still peppered with ? symbols so I think I’ve still loads to go.

28. floogles says:

Finishing up Game of Thones RPG. This game got pretty hammered by reviewers but I have really enjoyed the ride. It is definitely clunky and there are some questionable design choices (esp late game) but it nails the feel of the series in many ways.

It’s possibly the slowest game I’ve ever played of this genre, but one of the greatest parts is that there is so little combat until the last third of the game. This allows for all sorts of awesome dialogue and investigation-type quests, making me wish that other RPGs would take some cues from what it did right.

29. Chicanery says:

Once I finish writing, most likely Overwatch. It’s replaced TF2 as my chill FPS. It doesn’t reach the same heights as TF2, but since TF2 is currently in a really bad place, Overwatch fills the hole nicely.

30. Hardlylikely says:

Hearts of Iron IV, can’t get enough of it. I’m playing as Australia to learn the game. WWII is just breaking out, running into manpower problems. The feeling of looming failure is glorious. Don’t yet know how, but I’m sure to have done something wrong!

So glad I got this instead of Stellaris. It’ll keep.

31. PixelSapiens says:

I’m enjoying every bit of Diablo III RoS like it’s the first time I play it. So well-finished.

32. rahji says:

Hearthstone and some Dark Souls.
    beat the game a week ago and jumped right back into ng+. so far it is easy, but some bosses may be harder than I can bear.

33. Morcane says:

Elder Scrolls Legends. I actually got into a beta, and am enjoying the game immensely. The added mechanics (lanes, special effects on lanes) make it a lot of fun.

34. Nihilex says:

Doom multiplayer for sure with the double xp weekend and all that. Though will probably only play team deathmatch and not the new multiplayer features.

Also still finding more things to do in We Happy Few. Must say it’s a well polished alpha at least in my experience so far.

Will continue watching Stranger Things tonight as well. Love how they have caught the 80’s look, and the music is great too. Great actings as well.

35. Kefren says:

I already use Adblock Plus, but have just discovered noscript – finally, I can prevent nagging modal popups on half the sites I visit! So I’ll be setting the prefs for this and allowing scripts on the few sites that need them (banking etc). Makes the web feel good again. As good as playing a game.

I’ll have another go at Dungeon of the Endless, but I haven’t enjoyed it so far. Then again, I bought Endless Legend and Endless Space on the RPS recommendation, and didn’t enjoy those either. Endless Legend was pretty but very confusing. So I will fall back on my favourite game of all, Heroes of Might & Magic 2. Still have a few missions I haven’t completed, 15 years after I started playing!

36. malkav11 says:

So many MMOs. Got back into GW2 because of the Living World season 3 being up (haven’t played it, since I’m a season behind and I really haven’t done the expansion story either, but I’ve been playing GW2 at least). I’d like to get one character up through LOTRO’s main story quests before they’re up for a license renewal they may not get. I’d like to do WoW’s Legion pre-event(s). And I have my Sith Sorcerer’s storyline to complete in SWTOR.

I’ve also taken baby steps into Avernum II: Crystal Souls, which I’d quite like to continue with. I have dim memories of Exile II being vastly more linear than the first game, but I must be thinking of some specific part because Avernum II (which is, after all, mostly the same game) is actually fairly open so far, albeit with plot barriers shrinking the immediately accessible space from “the entire map as long as you don’t die” to “the northeastern part”. It’s interesting to see the amount of continuity from the first game, too. A hot spring that you tell a guy about to open a sauna, well…he tried. And then war hit and the project is now abandoned. A married couple from the opening fort is running a homestead and have salamander problems. A helpful dragon is in bad shape. The guy that helped you reforge the Demonslayer brags about it to your new party, who don’t believe him. Etc.

All that plus perhaps a soupcon of Zero Time Dilemma and/or Hex: Shards of Fate. Busy busy!

37. ThePuzzler says:

I have been playing “Install a GTX 1070 so I can make my Vive work”.
    Tips for buying a GTX 1070:
    (1) Check it will physically fit in your machine. This one’s a lot bigger than my last graphics card, and getting it in required cutting through a metal hard-drive case inside my PC.
    (2) Check what ports it has. I probably needed two HDMIs. Instead it has one HDMI, one DL-DVI, and three DP 1.4 slots. I’d never heard of DP 1.4. It sounds like they’re the future. They’re certainly not the present. My monitor is not ready for DP 1.4 and I don’t own any cables that will fit and neither does the nearest Maplins.

Are there any games out lately that say, “look how awesome my new graphics card is”?

• Raoul Duke says:

For all the standardisation of PC components in recent years, it’s amazing how much variation there is in the size of graphics cards. I had to do some truly ridiculous routing of cables just to allow my R9 380 to fit in an allegedly ATX HTPC case. Even so, the top of the heatsink just kisses the inside of the top of the case when closed, which presumably isn’t ideal.

• malkav11 says:

I hear the Star Citizen alpha will only really run at playable framerates on a 1070+, so that’s something. I guess.

And yeah, graphics cards have gotten out of control, sizewise. I’m lucky in that the hard drive enclosures in my case are both removable.

38. zsd says:

Another weekend spent locked in New Vegas’ basement. Dim light filters in through the tiny window. I can see my backlog piling up outside.

After last week’s failed House run, I finished a playthrough as Brunhilda, who took Cherchez La Femme to disappointing lack of effect, and basically punched everything for Caesar. It was an unenthusiastic run overall. I spent most of the time using a Power Fist with just the +condition mod, upgrading to Embrace of the Mantis King! at the very end. No DLC done as I just didn’t like how things were working out.

Now I am Ace, a high Intelligence, high Luck nice guy, and am determined to have a good time. Ace braved Deathclaws to make it to New Vegas proper as soon as possible, maxed out his winnings at every casino and bought tons of implants. I’m hunting down skill books and keeping up my gatekeeper (Barter, Speech, Science, Lockpicking) skills, going to many places I haven’t been yet. It feels so much better.

39. geldonyetich says:

Same thing as last week:

– Fallout 4: Too much content, too little gameplay.
    – Starbound: Too much content, too little gameplay.
    – Rimworld: The opposite problem, but egads, what a time sink.

I find diversification is the key to enjoying them all, as it helps to keep the gameplay fresh.

I’m basically on this holding pattern until No Man’s Sky comes out.

gritz says:

Kentucky Route Zero’s new episode- though I could never finish the previous episode due to a weird bug.

Maybe some Primordia and/or Deus Ex HR. And Overwatch, of course.

Skabooga says:

Well, I’ll probably be playing through some of the new Quake 1 content that’s come out in the past couple of months: the free, official third expansion pack “Dimensions of the Past” followed by the mod “Arcane Dimensions”, both mentioned in these here parts.

Then, once the sun sets and dusk has fled, I’ll boot up episode 4 of Kentucky Route Zero, and play through it in a single sitting, even if it takes all night.

42. preshrunk_cyberpunk says:

I would be playin RimWorld, if I wasn’t so traumatized by my previous RimWorld play session.

43. cairbre says:

I have been playing mad max. It looks amazing on my 1440p monitor and gtx 1070. I’m having fun with it. I was playing MGSV but I am stuck on the child soilder rescue mission

44. wifflebeef says:

I’m aiming for more Quadrilateral Cowboy and Kentucky Route Zero, with some horde mode from Hyper Light Drifter on the side. I just finished episode 4 of Stranger Things and it hooked me. I’m loving the music and Silent Hill-style otherworld stuff.

45. Massenstein says:

I had just randomly found out about Stranger Things a while ago, otherwise this post would have prompted me to look at it. Keep recommending non-game fiction, RPS!

46. csbear says:

Stranger Things is great. I am 42, and boy does it bring back fun memories…I got Netflix just for it.

Some Witcher 3 and RimWorld for me this weekend.

47. DancesWithSheep says:

Have picked up Just Cause 3 cheap and I was immediatley confuzzled by the seemingly odd key allocations; Ctrl to exit menus being the biggest wtf moment so far beyond the need to connect online for a sp game.

Still, it all looks fun and now I’ve done what is essentially the tutorial I need to start remapping keys.

48. fish99 says:

Haven’t been motivated to play anything since finishing Bloodborne a couple of weeks ago.

49. Someoldguy says:

I’ve bounced off Rimworld for now. For a game built on storytelling, I couldn’t understand why, when two heavily armed but friendly visitors showed up from a nearby village, we couldn’t just fall on our knees and beg for shelter since none of us had any chance of surviving in the wilderness. It just seemed like a bad reality-TV survival programme where you watch the cluelessly incompetent D-list celebrities flounder about for your own amusement rather than any serious attempt to survive.

This weekend I’m immersed in The Eyes of Ara. So far it’s been lots of fun and the difficulty level seems pitched about right for me. All the puzzle clues have been contained inside the game and just needed a little thinking about.

Captain Narol says:

Thanks for telling us about “The eyes of Ara”, I had never heard of it but I just had a look at its steam page and it looks very nice and interesting ! Added to my After-NMS list !

50. LizardGenes says:

Just got Shogo: Mobile Armour Division off GOG in a sale – one of the Monolith games that passed me by back in the day. It’s really good, and, like NOLF, doesn’t take itself seriously at all, which is great. Playing that atm and Metroid II: Return of Samus on the 3DS.

Loved MGS V and played it to death last year and at the start of this one. It’s one of the few long-running series that went open world and I still loved it; mostly, I’m tired of open world games but PP worked great. Almost Hitmanish at times, as you plan your execution from a specifically-chosen vantage point. I’ll go back to it again this year when my gaming schedule’s less crowded. I hear Ocelot gets annoyed that you’ve been away for so long…

• bill says:

Shogo was good fun (if not quite great).
      Its only real flaw was that it didn’t really do enough to differentiate between the on-foot and in-mech sections.

The mech moved exactly like you did on foot, and fought against similarly sized humanoid mechs… so it wasn’t much different to fighting similarly sized humans.
      IIRC there were a couple of points where they kinda did something with it, but not many.

But it did have one of the best FPS weapons ever in the Sqeaky Cat Toy.
      (IIRC the on foot guns were actually surprisingly meaty and fun for the time too. Though these days there are billions of games with machine guns and assault rifles so they probably haven’t aged well).

• LizardGenes says:

Finished it now; it was pretty good. I hear there were expansions in the works that got cancelled for various reasons.

Yeah, the mech sections weren’t too different to the on-foot ones, which I enjoyed more, despite this being a mech game. Still, would making half the game play like mechwarrior, armour core et al have been a good choice? I found Shogo to be a simple yet fun, jump in anytime blastathon. Mostly you were fighting on equal footing, though I did like shooting massive lasers at wee soldiers and cute trucks; it was kind of like an inverse “toys” from SiN.