Party Politics: Epic Manager Hits Early Access

Epic Manager [official site], now in Early Access, is a game about managing a party of adventurers in a fantasy world. There are several games of this sort now, the Football Managers to the typical RPG FIFA, but Epic Manager takes an unusual approach. Rather than operating like the majestic Majesty, which simulated a kingdom and had you manage its heroes indirectly, this game jumps straight into the competitive leagues of a sports game. You’re not just hiring and managing adventurers, you’re trying to recruit and direct the best questers in the whole world.

The backstory describes a world without war, now packed with soldiers who have no purpose. To give them ‘gainful’ employment and to entertain the masses, a league system is created, and parties of adventurers can earn fame and league titles by completing quests across the land.

In practice, the whole thing plays out a little like a boardgame. You have a certain number of actions per turn and can use those to build bases (in the form of portals that teleport goods and allow healing and party management), scout or advertise for new recruits, seek out new quests, and move parties around the map. When a party arrives at a quest location, there’s a tactical battle, which has more in common with JRPG combat menu systems than the grid I was expecting. There are random encounters in the form of text-based multiple choice scenarios, many of which can be resolved using class- and skill-specific abilities or knowledge.

I’ve only had a quick play and found a lot to keep track of, though a helpful tutorial introduces all of the core concepts. Whether I’ll return before a couple of updates are live, I couldn’t say for sure. It’s an intriguing concept but I’d like to be sure of plenty of variety in quests and encounters before continuing.

From this site

1. evanandchan says:

While we’re on the subject, what other games follow this “RPG Management Sim” thing that y’all can recommend me? I’ve always enjoyed this type of game and I’d love to expand my scope a bit~

• Someoldguy says:

I’d like to know that too. Majesty was great fun but it was a kingdom sim more than a party manager. You could provide shops and other facilities but had no real way of implementing a strategy to put together effective hunting/questing parties.

• GF_Matt says:

Sim Hero is freely available:
      link to indiedb.com

We’re working on a multiplayer online version, so stay tuned to that IndieDB page for updates.

• tbs says:

MyMMO is one I’ve been following. It’s not close to being completed but it looks great so far.

Harlander says:

Sounds a little bit like the premise to X-Crawl.

3. mitthrawnuruodo says:

Its got great possibilities. But unfortunately currently targeted towards the “hardcore”, “ohh its so much fun to loose”, “try the same level 1000 times until you get lucky” gamers. Too much for a casual noob carebear like me. I will revisit it after some balance passes.

• Scurra says:

Hmmm. As a casual noob myself, I’d say it’s a lot more accessible than, say, Massive Chalice was at a similar stage*. You can get probably about two-thirds of the way through the current content without actually needing to deal with any of the subtle complexities of timing and items, just click and kill…

My main gripe is really to do with the sheer quantity of items and classes, along with the lack of proper explanations.
      Yes, the random encounters are clearly badly unbalanced. The actual quests seem largely fine in terms of scaling, the monsters do not. But that’s not quite a deal-breaker for me.

*then again, once MC did reach release I never got more than halfway through a game before hitting my personal skill cap. I suspect that may be true of this too.