Steam Game Charts: Space, Survival, Sieges

We’re well past the halfway point of 2016 now, and there are several games which have been in the Steam top ten for almost every week of the year so far. I feel a bit ill thinking about all the money involved. This week’s – or rather last week’s, this chart reflecting sales up until Sunday just gone – is a bit of a remix by recent standards, at least.

1. No Man’s Sky

Never heard of it.

2. We Happy Few

English-themed horror-survival, involving scavenging for parts and mouldy food while avoiding sinister, suited hunters. Our own Jim Rossignol should probably have a word, basically. I’ve been playing WHF’s alpha and shall offer a report soon. Lots of BioShock and Brazil in this one, in addition to Sir You Are Being Hunted, but I’d say it’s got a long way to go before it’s ready.

3. Grand Theft Auto V

4. Total War: WARHAMMER Call of the Beastmen

Doing rather well for DLC – this is its second week here, and it’s risen four places. Though, in fairness, it hadn’t actually been released yet last time around. Given that Beastmen are one of the minor Warhammer races (sorry, Beastfans), this bodes rather well for inevitable future big-hitters such as Elves and Skaven.

5. RimWorld

The ship that launched a thousand wild, weird, wonderful stories, RimWorld’s one of those games that reassures one that the Steam audience is not entirely made up of Rockstarophiles after all.

6. Starbound

Chucklefish’s side-on procedurally-generated sci-fi survival’n’crafting’n’fighting affair has been around for a few years now, but had itself a formal launch on the 22nd and the resultant buzz pushed it right back into the charts. “I find it difficult to picture the person who wouldn’t enjoy Starbound”, reckons Fraser Brown in his warm write-up for us.

7. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

8. ARK: Survival Evolved

Back again. The dino-survival jobbie will always be back again. This time, it’s because of a free weekend and sale combo. I wonder if it’s earned more money than DayZ yet?

9. Dead by Daylight

The biggest game that no-one seems to be talking about. It’s been in the charts for a couple of months now, so is clearly pressing all the right Murder With Friends buttons, but I honestly don’t know anyone who’s playing it. Oh god, this is the generation gap at work, isn’t it?

10. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege

Like Ark, Ubi’s military-themed team shooter is a beneficiary of a free weekend’n’sale double-whammy. Our Adam’s quite a fan of its intense, crunchy firefights, though craves a touch more variety from it.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Harlander says:

I’m a little surprised to find there were people who wanted Starbound but didn’t already own it, but I guess some people have better Early Access discipline than me.

• Iamblichos says:

I didn’t even know Starbound existed until I saw the article here on RPS… and I’ve been having an absolute blast playing it. I’ve sunk well over a hundred hours into it, when I bounced off Terraria fairly quickly.

Still, my favorite line in this whole article is “No Man’s Sky: Never heard of it.”

• Jeremy says:

Starbound had existed just on the periphery of my gaming experience, which made me ignorant to what it was about. It was always that game that was just “Terraria in space”, and it wasn’t until reading the article and looking into it that I realized there was a lot more going on.

2. Banks says:

I’m glad so see R6 growing stronger.

Lars Westergren says:

I’m a bit sad that Headlander hasn’t sold better, it’s gotten pretty good reviews.

4. TheAngriestHobo says:

As someone who spent some time on the Chucklefish forums breathing in the vitriol during early access, it’s both surprising and hilarious that they’re at the top of the Steam charts now. Good for them.

5. causticnl says:

the review of starbound gives a 404.

6. iainl says:

Will you all stop buying GTA No. 5 all the time? I’d really quite like to mess around with cars and hang-gliders in it for an hour or two, and it’s never going to reach an acceptable price for doing that when those poeple expecting a 60-hour violent story of misogyny and single-entendres keep spending £20+.

• Technotica says:

We can not, not until every human being owns at least ten copies, EVERY human being!

phuzz says:

I just wish someone I know had a copy so I could have a go at the multiplayer without having to put up with what I assume would be a bunch of twelve year-olds calling me a faggot.

• ooshp says:

Being called a faggot by a bunch of 12-year-olds is actually more fun than trying to get a heist to work on Rockstar’s horrific servers. Had a go a couple of months back assuming Rockstar might have actually fixed their shitty multiplayer by now – nope, wasted 2 hours trying to get all the way through a heist with no one dropping out (instant heist fail, which is great when RS Online randomly drops people) then gave up for good.

• ooshp says:

Also, those 12-year-olds will likely be speaking Russian or Chinese as either:

1) Only handful of english speakers in the whole world play gta 5 online, or

2) Rockstar’s matchmaking service is just as embarrassingly terrible as every other aspect of their online services

• vorador says:

I still wonder how in the hell people are still buying it. At retail price. I mean, it’s not like digital copies run out. Everybody that wanted a copy could have bought it already a long time ago.

modzero says:

Meanwhile I’m wondering if I should buy CS:GO. I never had any interest, but I’m starting to wonder if I’m missing something. I mean, pretty sure everyone else bought it.

I’m also wondering how many of CS:GO and GTAV sales are people thinking the same.

(also, SPOILERS: to post a comment, use the developer tools and force close the runaway a tag)

particlese says:

As long as we keep getting funny pictures from Alec, I think I’m okay with people continuing to buy it in droves.

• Canadave says:

I think I ended up buying GTA 4 in 2012 or so, so I’m not expecting 5 to hit my “Fuck it, I might as well buy this thing” price point until at least next year.

7. wallybreen says:

God, that picture of Dreadwing gave me nightmare flashbacks to the first five times I tried defeating him without proper armour or enough bandages