Overwatch Goes Footballing In Summer Olympics Event

Overwatch [official site] isn’t the first game to imagine “What if, instead of cars, football was played by people?” but heck, let’s not scold Blizzard for unoriginality. To celebrate the Summer Olympics, or an unbranded equivalent, Blizzard have added a football-with-people mode to their FPS. I’m always happy to see more studios’ takes on football-with-people, and Overwatch’s six-player mode sees two teams of Lúcios trying to score goals with his blastgun and new footballing moves. Goooooooalúcio! Also, the Overwatch gang can pick up new generic-brand summer games-themed sportswear.

Lúcioball is the new ‘Brawl’ guest mode, stopping by as a special event with four-minute 3v3 footballing. It’s a bit like ye olde Quake Soccer football-with-people mod but with Brazilian flair and fancier moves. The ballarena has bounce pads and speed-boosting walls, see, meaning Lúcio, Lúcio, Lúcio, Lúcio, Lúcio, and Lúcio can zip and zoom in sporty ways. It’s not the same as punching the rocketboosters on your car but hey, we have to accept that football-with-people won’t be as flashy as the real deal.

How does Lúcio play footie? “For this brawl, his primary fire has been replaced with a melee attack, allowing Lúcio to punch the ball—perfect for dribbling, passing, and shooting from short range. When you need to launch the ball across the map, Lúcio’s alternate fire emits a blast of sound that gets the job done nicely,” Blizzard explain. “Unlike other game modes, the speed boost from Lúcio’s Crossfade only affects himself in Lúcioball (Amp It Up will still increase that boost, as normal), and his ultimate ability, Sound Barrier, now pulls the ball toward him from anywhere on the field.”

And then there’s all the Summer Not-Olympics sportsgear available now. During this event, Loot Boxes will contain at least one item of sportstuff. Over 100 sportswear skins, victory poses, medals, sprays, emotes, and so on can now be collected. I would very much like to see this year’s US team in McCree’s outfit:

You’ve got until August 22nd to sportsball and sportscollect.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Banks says:

I’m a little disgusted by the loot gambling system. I could pay 10 quid or so for a skin I liked If I could to support the game but I guess Blizzard took the scummy route, and that is not a path I like.

LucioBall looks like fun for a couple of weeks, so props for that.

• Xocrates says:

What’s even worse with the summer event is that you can’t even unlock the stuff with gold.

Want that McCree skin? Well, you have a 1 in 100 chance of getting it. Hope you like sprays btw.

They made a shitty unlock system even shittier.

2. AceJohnny says:

Alice, you are the best thing that has happened to RPS in over 9 years.

Whenever there’s an awesome article, I can be pretty certain it was written by you (and sometimes, Pip).

• AceJohnny says:

To be clear: for this reader Alice holds the highest hilarity average of all RPS contributors.

• Stylo says:

• Sadfist says:

• Shazbut says:

When I read that opening sentence I knew it was by Alice

• Eclipse says:

Indeed. Alice is the best thing that happened to Wonderland RPS in a long time

• Chalky says:

Agreed, her articles almost always make me chuckle. :D

• Vorrin says:

Agreed too, you make the best articles Alice!

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Hehe! Alice’s style of writing certainly isn’t for me and I’ve been wondering recently whether anyone else feels the same. It seems not. But I am pleased it apparently goes down well with everyone else.

• XxBrentos9xX says:

You’re not alone, her writing is a bit too energetic and whimsical for my tastes.

3. int says:

If only Alan Partridge could be the commentator.

• fearandloathing says:

Ugh that is disgusting. Normally I adore brit humour but that should be the worst example of that, ugh

• Tinotoin says:

Disgusting? Really? I have always found that segment hilarious.

I’m genuinely intrigued by what you find disgusting about it.

The exclamation of “twat” perhaps?

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Disgusting is a slightly curious choice of word in this context, agreed.

• MikoSquiz says:

I can kind of get it. Alan Partridge always makes me feel a bit queasy. The cringe is so strong my skin crawls.

caff says:

Anyone who has been under the skin of Alan Partridge (yes, that is unpleasant) will understand this clip :-)

4. Uberwolfe says:

Bit of a shame really. Overwatch is already starved of content, and we get…. this?

• motoryogurt says:

Yeah! Keep your content out of my starved for content game!

• Uberwolfe says:

Overwatch is a team-based shooter. Give me content that relates to team-based shooting.

5. The Algerian says:

Pfft, football without cars.

• Sadfist says:

phuzz says:

When I saw that first screenshot I somehow ignored the word ‘Overwatch’ and assumed that it was a new mode for Rocket League that replaced the cars with people.
      People playing football, what will these crazy devs think of next.

• The Algerian says:

It does seem like they intentionally copied Rocket League, though.
        The ball looks exactly the same. And the field is pretty similar as well, with the same force-field goal.

6. AlexStoic says:

Oh, you’re in luck. It comes with team-based shooting already.

• GAmbrose says:

This snark would have been so much better if it had replied to the correct post ;)

7. lagiacrux says:

i couldnt imagine the loot system be any more shitty, but they managed to achieve that … not being able to buy the skins you like with coins is just a scummy decision. i would have probably dropped some money into cosmetics for the game, but this system is just to painful and idiotic, so i dont bother.

the new brawl is fun. i played one game, but i dont think i will play many more. its just a worse version of rocketleague, so i will play rocketleague if i want that kind of fun.

8. lglethal says:

Can it really still be called Football when the goal (pun intended) is to punch the ball into a goal?

Then again, I guess the Seppos still get to call the abomination they play football…

• Alice O'Connor says:

What, as if cars have feet? It’s one of those sports terms whose origins have been lost to the mists of time. No one knows why we call it football.

• lglethal says:

I just realized what I wrote came out sounding harsh, rather then my (admittedly poor) attempt at a gentle ribbing of our Seppo cousins…

My bad… Sorry…

9. lanelor says:

What I need to know is if this mode will always available or only until 22th?

Foot-ball like in:link to store.steampowered.com

caff says:

I haven’t tried this yet (sadly tied to work then going to the pub) but I have been thinking recently how great a mash up of Rocket League’s ball physics with the insanity of Gang Beasts five-a-side would be.