The Division Movie Announced, Jake Gyllenhaal Onboard

I’m not saying that Jake Gyllenhaal killed someone then Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot met him in the woods on a winter’s night with a shovel and a hacksaw to help bury the body – that would be libel. However, you tell me how you think Ubi got the Prince of Persia star into another movie based on a video game. Ubi today formally announced a film adaptation of The Division [official site], see, and Jakeo is signed up to star alongside Jessica Chastain (the sister in Crimson Peak, and Murph in Interstellar).

The Division, to fill in folks who didn’t fancy the MMO-ish shooter, is set in New York City after a virus tears through the city, transmitted on money passed around on Black Friday. Unchecked capitalism will be the death of us, yeh? The Man quarantines Manhattan and super secret sleeper agents are awakened to help establish order and shoot the opportunistic naughty men who’ve taken over. It is a pretty good setup for an action movie.

Chastain and Gyllenhaal are “attached” to the movie, which means they’re well up for it, and they’re also developing it with their respective production companies. Do remember that movies fall apart and are rebuilt all the time in Hollywood for all manner of reasons, though.

Ubisoft also have a Splinter Cell movie coming, which they say Tom Hardy is up for, a Ghost Recon movie, a Watch Dogs movie, and a Rabbids movie. Given that Jakey G has returned to Ubi for The Division, I feel fairly confident predicting that Assassin’s Creed star Michael Fassbender will return to provide motion capture for the Rabbids.

From this site

1. peterako1989 says:

Floppity flop

• Beanbee says:

Goes lil Jake’s ragdolls!

(nsfw, Jake being rather psychopathic in a music video for the french band The Shoes)

• citrusninja says:

If they keep to the tone of the original cinematic, this movie could be stunning. For those who haven’t seen it yet:

2. Amake says:

Take the most preposterously vehement story and themes ever carried by tight game mechanics and remove the game element and what do you have left? A movie about a group of characters largely defined by how well armed they are heroically shooting looters, rioters and poor people to save the city’s buildings from the apocalypse?

• Blackcompany says:

This was my thought exactly. I…don’t think this is going to go well at this point in history…

• GWOP says:

I was thinking, “Hey, at least the big paydays for movies like this pay for projects like Nightcrawler“, when I realized Louie Bloom would fit right in with the “good guys” of The Division.

AutonomyLost says:

Ah, Nightcrawler. I very much enjoyed that one.

• GWOP says:

Nightcrawler was the movie that made a realize that a story with zero character development or arc can be amazing.

Louie was basically a corporation given a human face.

• Hedgeclipper says:

At lest the setting will accommodate 80’s style ‘I got shot thirty times in the face and it kinda tickles’ gunfights.

3. jj2112 says:

Gyllenhal is getting career advice from Nicolas Cage, and it seems Jessica Chastain is doing the same.

AutonomyLost says:

Jesus H.

They WOULD make this into a movie.

Herzog says:

Uninteresting game to be turned into a movie from my perspective, but anyways. Will be interesting to see whom they will get to direct this thing.

6. ludde says:

That’s ironic considering Prince of Persia was what drove Gyllenhaal away from big budget Hollywood productions.

7. Fry says:

Makes sense. The premise of that game screams “mediocre action movie”.

8. MrBear says:

Yay! I always wanted another movie with the same plot as Outbreak from 1995. I mean, there’s only a million of those, with a few dozen TV shows. So very creative, so very innovative, so very original…

NOT!

And then base it on that train wreck of a game?

Thanks. Now I know what movie to avoid like the plague.

9. batraz says:

She was great in Zero Dark Thirty too.

10. Avus says:

If I remember correctly Jake was the Prince of Persia too… I am guessing Ubisuck must like him…

• frightlever says:

You only needed to just fight your way through the opening, blood-drenched, sentences and you would have already seen that in the article.

• frightlever says:

11. fish99 says:

I enjoyed my time with The Division, but it’s gonna take a very good screenwriter to make anything interesting from those characters and that story. I also doubt anyone liked the game enough to go see a film just off the name alone, so I don’t really get the point.

Nauallis says:

Hopefully they carry the “all the bosses are actually insanely sturdy bullet sponges” motif into the movie. Then it would be legit.

13. manny says:

Haha, first it was Escape from New York, now we got Saving New York. Not buying it.