Sir, You Are Being Hunted Devs Investigating The Signal From Tölva

This week on RPS: Where Are They Now? we revisit Jim Rossignol. You might remember Rosso co-founded RPS in 1873 but couldn’t resist the bright lights of Game Development City. Packing his bindle and hitting the road, he co-founded Big Robot, the studio we last saw with survive-o-shooter Sir, You Are Being Hunted. But where has Rossignol been since then? What happened to Big Robot? Did the bright lights lure another innocent soul to ruin on the technorocks?

Nah mate, they’ve been quietly working on The Signal From Tölva [official site], a first-person explore-o-shooter about robots on an alien planet.

Big Robot today announced the shooter. It’s set on an alien planet which has been emitting a mysterious signal. Handily the surface is crawling with robots, which you can handily hijack from your cosy remote spot. If you die, hey, you’ll simply connect to a new robot.

The gang talk about a world you’re free to roam about, investigating what’s going on the with eponymous signal and getting into trouble with the robots. Doing missions for the factions whose robots you jack into will get you fancier gear, like guns, shields, and gadgets. Sounding a bit like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., these factions will going about their own business – investigating crashes, attacking outposts, and duking it out between themselves whether you’re involved or not. Good stuff, that.

The Signal From Tölva is due on Windows and Mac in “early 2017”. Here’s the announcement trailer, giving a teasing look at that stylish alien world:

Sir, You Are Being Hunted is on sale now, by the way. It’s on Steam for £3.74/4,99€/$4.99.

Next time on RPS: Where Are They Now?, we’ll revisit another RPS co-founder in Why Does This Suit Smell Like a Corpse? The Kieron Gillen Story.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Grizzly says:

Needs a staring eyes tag :-)

2. Freud says:

Perhaps their games just has robots in them because they can’t animate bionics?

• Xocrates says:

Well, they’re called Big Robot, not Big Flesh Bags.

• noxohimoy says:

I prefer money invested on fun gameplay instead of expensive animations.

• FaceHaver says:

I believe you meant “biotics”. Ironically, given that (at least some of) the robots in this game are decidedly humanoid in form, I suppose you could say that they are actually animating “bionics”.

Pedantry aside, I prefer robotic antagonists. Shooting high-poly, reasonably realistic representations of people always struck me as rather distasteful. Robots also permit the inclusion of strategies that would be fairly psychotic if applied against human opponents (e.g., “just blast the legs off!”). Metal Arms (regrettably, a console-only game) implemented this type of component-specific damage quite well (e.g., if you damaged a robot’s arm enough, it would still fire its weapon, but its aim would vary wildly).

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Why do you think characters in games so often wear masks? Faces are hard! Also, I like robots so I’m fine with this solution. :)

• Eclipse says:

faces are not hard, but unless you have a good procedural system or a lot of different heads you end up with lots of enemies with the same face, so in most games it’s better if enemies are masked. It also adds to the whole “evil grunt” thing

3. Geebs says:

Paradroid meets S.T.A.L.K.E.R. sounds like my kind of thing. Looks a mite cheery, though?

(P.s. RPS please stop comparing things to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I can’t handle the recurrent disappointment).

• Eclipse says:

my coffee this morning? was totally like S.T.A.L.K.E.R you know?

• Geebs says:

If you coffee wasn’t damp, dark, cold, oppressive and lightly radioactive, I don’t want to know.

4. Xocrates says:

This does look hugely promising.

5. SlimShanks says:

Very interesting. I’ll be keeping an eye on this. I was hoping for anomalies since you mentioned Stalker, but oh well. Looked like there were some environmental hazards, that was cool! Fingers crossed for things that will murder you in the darkness!

TehK says:

I really like, what I’m seeing so far, especially the artstyle. It just looks so bright and amiable.

Oh, also Tölva seems to be the Icelandic word for computer:
    link to

• Fadaz says:

That is absolutely true and it’s one of the cleverest neologisms in a language that doesn’t often handle them too well. It’s a combination of tala (number) and völva (women seers from Norse myths).

7. amateurviking says:

I like the music in that trailer a lot. Is it in-house or a third party does anyone know?

• FaceHaver says:

Apparently it’s by Forces of Good; see link to

• Solrax says:

Thank you for that sir! I loved the music and was hoping someone here would know more about it.

Oh, and I’m pretty excited about the game too, that looks really promising.

8. Blackcompany says:

On my wish list for sure. Looks great.

Cvnk says:

Looks pretty much like “Sir…” with a new setting. Not a bad thing.

• GWOP says:

The body switching sounds new and interesting.

• jonahcutter says:

Except this time you are the intellignece controlling the robots. Maybe turn the entire formula on it’s head and have individual, escaped, trombone-blowing human scientists running around that you hunt with your robot minions.

10. GWOP says:

KG writing funny books, Quinns bringing some class to YouTube with Cool Ghosts, Jim making video games, Cara working at Arkane, Nathan at Kotaku, Marsh at Mojang… it’s always good to hear people formerly of this Parish doing well.

(Even though I want them to all fail miserably so that they are forced to come back and write articles for us.)

• ludde says:

Really miss Jim and Kieron, it’s not been the same since.

phuzz says:

Kieron only pretends to write in order to cover up his true job.
      In reality he works for the Ministry of Defence, attempting to craft a pun so bad it can be weponised and used to replace Trident.

11. Easy says:

OK, Wow, Jimbo. Looks positively fantastic.

12. Dilly says:

No Linux version makes me very sad. :(

JiminyJickers says:

Nice, just yesterday I went to their website to see if they were working on something new, was disappointed but now am happy again! Haha.

14. ran93r says:

Looking really good so far, art style seems almost like a mix of Sir and No Man’s.
    Really must go back and play some more Sir.

15. Eclipse says:

I’m just going to call it “Sir, You Are Being Hunted In Space”

16. Someoldguy says:

“This is a game about big shooty robots.”
    “So you’re making a new Mechwarrior?”
    “Big shooty robots that can do missions”
    “So you ARE making a new Mechwarrior?”
    “Big shooty robots that can do missions in a big open world”
    “So it’s Mechwarrior in a freeform environment?”
    “Look we’re making our own game, ok. It is NOT Mechwarrior!”
    “But we really like Mechwarrior. Why can’t you make that?”
    “Someone else has the IP.”

• identiti_crisis says:

So I’m not the only one that got a Mechwarrior vibe.

I don’t even know what triggered it; I think it was the movement and apparent physicality of the combat.

Of course, without the weaponry and systems, it won’t be Mechwarrior, but some of its flavour would still be very tasty indeed.

Kirrus says:

The artwork looks amazing, interested to see how this one goes

18. LimaBravo says:

So they’ve made a 3D paradroid without that pesky fun element.