Disney’s Aladdin, Lion King & Jungle Book Hit GOG

“A whole new world!” sang Aladdin, trying to get his leg over. That was 1992, though. Since then, we’ve decided we don’t want new things; we want old things repackaged in a way that excites us. So flipping heck, flaming Nora, and stone the crows – Disney have brought a trio of ’90s platformers based on their animated movies to GOG. You can now once again get Aladdin, The Lion King, and The Jungle Book, this time handily packaged for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Before you ask, yes, Aladdin is the Virgin Games version – the one released for Sega Mega Drive (or Genesis, for our American cousins) then Amiga and MS-DOS and whatnot. For people who are puzzled by this, I’ll explain: The Good Old Days had many a ha-ha-hilarious mess of licensing issues meaning that several entirely different games could be released under the same name by entirely different companies, especially for tie-in games.

I think the Mega Drive version is meant to be best? Heck, even SNES version designer Shinji Mikami – yes, the Resident Evil and Vanquish and Evil Within fella – has said he might prefer the other version.

Anyway! You can now get Aladdin, The Lion King, and The Jungle Book on GOG. A small launch discount brings them to £6.29 each, or all three are cheaper together – £14.07.

Question: are these games good? They’re far enough in the past that I can’t remember whether we actually enjoyed them or we enjoyed recognising things from something else we liked. I do remember that The Lion King had a truly awful level set in a maze of caves. Total guff. But maybe your nostalgia includes being delighted by plumbing the mysteries of that cave system, drawing maps on paper to mark which door leads where. The past is a strange place, maaan.

From this site

1. c-Row says:

I am pretty sure the Amiga version was the same as the Genesis one, and looking at the Mobygames entries and screenshots it seems the SNES and GBA versions were the odd ones.

• c-Row says:

Ah, I read that “than” rather than “then”. Makes no sense but gave me the impression that you meant they were all different from Virgin’s Genesis version.

Me stupid.

• Janichsan says:

If I recall correctly, they were pretty close, but not identical: I think the Amiga versions of Aladdin and Lion King missed levels due to memory restrictions. I don’t know about the Jungle Book, since I have to admit that I wasn’t aware of the existence of that game until now…

Oakreef says:

Multiple versions of the same game across platforms isn’t something that only existed in the Mega Drive days and before. Call of Duty Black Ops had a Wii version that was totally different from the versions on the other consoles and Windows, as did Alone in the Dark, Dead Rising and Sonic Unleashed (which also had at least two different versions for mobile phones). The last couple of Sonic games have had games with the same name simultaneously released for handhelds and the DS. Not sure if there’s been any notable cases for the 8th generation of consoles where different platforms have completely different versions of the game though.

Oakreef says:

* The last couple of Sonic games have had games with the same name simultaneously released for home consoles and the DS/3DS

3. grimdanfango says:

Sodding hell, how much? I’d consider trying them out for 20 minutes out of idle curiosity if it was £2 for the pack. They’re hardly beloved classics…

• pepperfez says:

And, y’know, have been floating around in free, greatly enhanced versions for nearly 20 years now.

• Ooops says:

Aladdin is borderline classic, though. One of the best movie adaptations of the era. But yeah, I’d also be much more tempted at half that price.

4. Jozef Kundlak says:

These games do not warrant such a price IMO. They are good (especially Aladdin for me), but give each a 2 USD pricetag at most… Now we will all wait for discounts.

• Jalan says:

Most of the money from these must be going to Disney more than anything else.

Ninja Dodo says:

Not sure about Jungle Book as I only ever played a brief demo but Lion King and Aladdin were brilliant.

Relevant: link to youtube.com

6. QSpec says:

Lion King… we meet again.

When I played Dark Souls, I was kind of underwhelmed by its difficulty… because I had played and beat Lion King.

X_kot says:

Throw in the OST for each of the corresponding movies, and then we’ll talk.

8. Zeroebbasta says:

I played them all when I was younger – and never finished either of them. I remember them being infuriatingly difficult, but fun.
    Can we have Maui Mallard in Cold Shadows now, please? Ninja Donald was the best Donald.

9. Geewhizbatman says:

Awesome. Now all I really need is that Pocahontas game. I mean, need in that sense that I highly desire it but am in no way willing to spend any time with an emulator for such a thing: link to youtube.com

Because the endorsement, “Cool, I can make her run” is all I need these days. The only reason I remember it at all is because I coveted the copy owned by a home schooled girl of an ultra religious family across the street (who’s mother once drop kicked one of our cats across the street because it was harassing her various garden wildlife. This was rural Wisconsin just by and by, but the cats didn’t go huntin’ around there anymore so I guess it worked…) I got the taste of running and sucking wind-spirit-magic out of animals. Alas, it took but one cat being punted for that to slip from my grasp…forever!

10. Grim Rainbow says:

I remember playing the demos of these games to death when I was a broke kid. A local store had a cardboard box in the corner that sold old demo discs.

Not a PC game but Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse was always my fav Disney game.