Rocketskid: Platinum Tease Vanquish PC Port

Platinum Games’ slick and stylish techno console shooter Vanquish [official site] is coming up on its six-year anniversary. Although the game’s been around for quite some time now, whispers of a PC port have surfaced after a Kotaku interview with PlatinumGames’ producer Atsushi Inaba. While nothing was outright confirmed, Inaba did tease it a bit as he discussed the future of Platinum’s games on PC.

At one point in the discussion, one of the translators asked if Vanquish might be coming to PC. Inaba coyly responded, “Hrm. I wonder… If you stop recording, I can talk about that.” The topic cropped up as Inaba discussed Platinum Games’ interest in PC gaming. Whether or not a game gets a PC port seems to be up to the publishers, however. Inaba explained:

“But to be honest, we’re good friends with Valve and often go to their studio. We go there, hang out, talk about many different things, and we are very interested in Steam and would definitely like to release games on Windows. Right now, we’re at a place in which publishers ask us to make titles. So, if the publisher doesn’t want to release a PC version, then there won’t be a PC version. It really comes down to that.”

The Japanese games industry is also very much console-centric. As Platinum’s audience has become globalized the studio is definitely more open to the idea of bringing their games to PC. Inaba noted:

“…in Japan, the PC versions don’t sell much. Outside Japan, they do, but within the country, they do not. But, if you look abroad, everyone is playing on the PC. It’s something you cannot ignore.”

For now, we’ll have to sit tight and see if a PC version of Vanquish materializes. It certainly won’t be the studio’s first PC game. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, the upcoming Scalebound, and more all have found a home on Windows.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Earl-Grey says:

Oh God yes, that game is spectacularly good fun.
    Can’t wait to revisit it.

• Earl-Grey says:

If I remember correctly, this game requires that you dare go a little crazy to really enjoy it.
      You can get by with approaching it like a cover based shooter and sticking to chest high walls. -if brown is your favorite colour and you actually manage to have just one pint at the pub.
      What you should be doing is darting between enemies by sliding on your ass while bullets and rockets hail down around you, slamming into enemies knees first, summersaulting in slow motion and shooting them straight in the face, cover is for cowards.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

I never played it but I’d just cheat to freeze energy and twitch aim without the need for Idk slowmo.
        I just want to enjoy the largest maps in the game, like the actual strategy playgrounds, instead of the pletora of segments requiring zero effort like nothing’s happening.

• Asbad says:

I should preface by saying that it’s been a while since I played it, so I could be wrong about everything that I’m talking about. But it was actually pretty hard if you tried to play it as a cover shooter IIRC. The enemies had quite a few ways to flush you out of cover (I think they also had these sphere things that would flank you), e.g. rockets/AOE weapons, and there would be elite mobs with similar boosters that would try to move on your cover. Carried ammo wasn’t so much that you could afford to sit behind cover for each encounter, and often you’d have to outflank the enemy to hit their weak spots.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Also, if you play it on the hardest setting (which is INSANE, but also very fun once you’ve got the hang of things), staying in cover is suicidal. Amazing game, so underrated on release.

• Eight Rooks says:

No, it is/was frequently fantastic as a cover shooter, as well. It certainly wasn’t the “right” way to play it and some sections would have been near impossible that way (would the final boss have been doable? I remember him being really, really fast), but it didn’t stop you approaching it like that and just doing the chest high walls dance was still far better than anything in Gears of War and its ilk. It was just when you discovered the rocket slide, it was all “Oh. Oh. I see now. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE” etc., and then everything kicked up another notch. (And then again when you realised how bullet time worked, and then again for melee attacks.) Amazing game, so much more fun than Bayonetta (too overstuffed, too hardcore), and it sounds like they’ve at least got plans to port it, whether or not those come to anything.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

Yeah cover system qualifies as a style here, much like every other thing in the game.
          Oh god this bayo<vanquish crap again.:p

• lagiacrux says:

here is an interesting video talking about the “depth and mastery” in platinum games using the example of vanquish.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

4:30 minutes into it and the depth that matters in bayo comes from decisions which is basically decision making from the combos you chain to gain high score. The guy is also start to talking about skill differentiation about the boosters for longer dashes. It’s not really a video about how these games stand out in what achieve from exploring their mechanics, vanquish doesn’t achieve anything compared to other shooters, so they attach a score system to it and call it a day. It doesn’t mean it’s not a badass shooter or that doesn’t have lots of strategic playgrounds. Bleh video though.

AutonomyLost says:

Precisely what you stated, Earl-Grey.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

So basically what he is trying to say is that we should all be bugging Sega instead of him for a port?

3. GWOP says:

This is fantastic.

4. Eclipse says:

I’m very happy with this new Xbox play anywhere thing that Microsoft wants to push, didn’t know that Scalebound was also one of those titles. This is great.
    About Vanquish\Bayonetta, is all up to Sega (and they would be terribly stupid to miss on porting them to steam, I don’t even know why it took them so long to even start thinking about a vanquish pc version)

Ben King says:

I enjoyed the crap out of this on PS3 in spite of a couple dull sections (long dark underground tunnel? Boss fight that’s simply TWO of a an earlier boss? ugh.) The midlevel bosses and high level basic enemies were a total joy to toy around with/get murdered by, and the level and character art were great to ogle. I’m realizing now how silly I am for having not played this since my initial run-through after it’s release…

AutonomyLost says:

Yes, please!

7. Andrew says:

Ooh, I was so close to buying it on PS3 couple of times. Now I’m gonna wait.

The Japanese games industry is also very much console-centric.

If we use “console” in traditional sense of a we-station-box, then no, it’s not. Not anymore. It’s handheld- and smartphone-centric – that’s where their players are. But, yeah, PC was never popular there.

On the other hand, a lot of Japanese companies cater predominantly to the western market now, and those are actually do a lot for PC. Just on Steam alone there a ton of new and ports of old games.

8. hoho0482 says:

Sod that. Bayonets 2 please. Can’t bring myself to buy a wii for 1 game.

9. eLBlaise says:

I think of this game every time I slide across the floor in a Warframe. Perhaps I’ll actually play Vanquish this go round?