The Foxer

I know of defoxing establishments that won’t let you in unless you’re wearing a quilted defoxing jacket and a regulation fez. Here at the FP defoxing annexe we’re a lot more relaxed. As long as you’re shod, wearing no gang identifiers, and sport no incorrectly apostrophised tattoos, Maginot Maxine, our Door Supervisor, won’t turn you away.

Last week’s theme : The Siege of Sidney Street (defoxed by AFKAMC)

a Painter (phuzz)
b Stepney (Little_Crow)
c He 111 (phuzz, Stugle)
d Maker’s plate from a TCDD ‘Churchill’ (partially defoxed by Matchstick and Little_Crow)
e Fireman’s helmet (Cooper, phuzz)
f Type 100 SMG (Cooper)
g Latvian Air Force roundel (Arioch_RN)
h Peter Wyngarde (Artiforg)
i Scots Guards (Arioch_RN)
j Sylvia Sidney (unsolved)
k Pathé News logo (Arioch_RN)

* * * * * *

Foxer Fact No.394

When an I-5 fighter collided with the agitprop airship ‘Maxim Gorky’ over Moscow in 1932, the only survivor was Russian foxer setter Nikolai Stepanov. Stepanov’s amazing luck held during the Great Purge and the Siege of Leningrad, only to desert him spectacularly on August 5th, 1946, the day he was struck and killed by a dead eagle owl while walking in the woods near his dacha.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Stugle says:

Nicola Sturgis on the bottom left, I do believe.

2. Stugle says:

The drawing of the little girl (in yellow) is from the Madeline books. I’d guess Madeline in Paris (having young offspring finally pays off!).

3. Stugle says:

As a side-note: I don’t know what that movie still is from, but it is awesome.

4. iainl says:

That Windows shortcut looks like Rock Of Ages.

Matchstick says:

I’m presuming it’s James Stewart in the middle but what the film would be and who’s the co-star I don’t know

6. Stugle says:

Is that Steve McQueen on the motorcycle?

phuzz says:

The car on the left could be a Delage, I’m still trying to pin down the exact model (a D8 maybe). I think the body has been coach built by another firm, which is not making it easy. (Although still easier for this dyslexic than spelling “chauffeur”)

8. Rorschach617 says:

A google image search for “lake aircraft” produces a number of examples that are similar to the plane, bottom right. Cannot find one with that vane over the cockpit though. Will keep looking

• Rorschach617 says:

Have found a picture of an aircraft very similar to this one. Tentative ID as a Lake LA-250 Renegade amphibian.

9. TeeJango says:

I have no idea what’s going on here… but I think that background is the Michigan ore dock.

Matchstick says:

If you think of this as a support group for people obsessed with remembering and/or researching completely obscure and (mostly) random information then finding a spurious connection between it you won’t go far wrong :)

10. Gothnak says:

No one know what the massive bridge column thing is in the middle of the picture? Looks like it’s part of a bridge up top that goes left to right, but has a tunnel going into the picture :p.

11. Zogg says:

The car on the left is a Bugatti Royale

• Zogg says:

Specifically the Bugatti Type 41 (Royale) Coupé Napoleon.

Saw it in the flesh a couple of years ago. Very impressive.

phuzz says:

The front end, all the way back to the door, looks just like a Delage D8, so I wasted ages looking at every single one of those I could find.
        Nice work Zogg

12. Gothnak says:

Is it something to do with the Great Lakes then? Thunder Bay, Michigan, Lake Aircraft, Sturgeon is a lighthouse on Lake Huron… Ahem…

• Gothnak says:

Madelaine Islands are in the Gulf of St Lawrence, definitely something Canada-ey.

• Stugle says:

There’s also a Madeline Island in Lake Superior (part of the Apostle Islands).

• Stugle says:

The Lake Sturgeon is present in Lake Superior…

• Stugle says:

There’s an Isle Royale in Lake Superior.

• Little_Crow says:

ianl snuck in earlier with ‘Rock of Ages’ – That’s a lighthouse on Lake Superior.

• Stugle says:

I suspect the the theme might be more narrowly “Things found in/around Lake Superior” – the ore dock in Marquette is also on Lake Superior.

• Stugle says:

Then again, Lawrence could be for the St Lawrence River, which would broaden it up to the more general Great Lakes theme. And don’t ask me how to torture a caribou into Lake Superior.

phuzz says:

The aircraft in the middle is a DHC-4 ‘Caribou’ (picture from this page).

phuzz says:

• GT5Canuck says:

“As it was designed and built by de Havilland Canada, it was probably build in Toronto, on the shore of Lake Superior, to confirm Stugle’s deductions”

Canadian here…sorry, but Toronto is on Lake Ontario.

phuzz says:

The logo at the top-middle, is the little aircraft about the DHC-4 part of it, or separate?
    (It looks like a Burt Rutan/Scaled Composites design, but I’m pretty sure it’s not)

• Little_Crow says:

I was trying to defox the plane as a standalone object, but I’ve struggled and I’m more and more thinking it is part of the logo.

It looks like a logo for an early 2000’s flying car startup, but my inquiries have so far come up blank.

15. Rorschach617 says:

Having trouble getting past the door supervisor, Maginot Maxine, I can’t get in through the front door.

Don’t tell anyone, but I am going to try sneaking in via the chip shop next door. If I am quick enough, might get in before she notices. German chap told me that this often works. :)

• Stugle says:

Excellent comment, but I thought it was a Belgian waffle house next door. :)

• Rorschach617 says:

Waffles! *facepalm*

All I could remember about Belgium was their claim to have invented fried potatoes! :)

16. Little_Crow says:

The symbol top right is a thunderbird from Anishinaabe textiles – who were of course natives of the Lake Superior are,