More XCOM 2 Enemies Modded In By Long War Studios

The gang behind revered XCOM mod Long War have released yet another mod for XCOM 2 [official site], bringing loads of new enemies and enemy variants. Fancy facing a snakelady sharpshooter, an overwatch-happy Advent Sentry, or a honking great Hive Queen? They’d love to have a crack at you. Head on over to the Steam Workshop to grab the Long War Alien Pack.

Technically this is an update of Long War’s Muton Centurion mod, one of the mods they released for XCOM 2 on its launch day. The update is big enough to basically make it a new mod, mind.

“The best aliens aren’t the ones that have the highest numbers – they’re the ones that confuse the normal order of things and make the player rethink their own tactical approach,” Adam said of the original mod. If just the Muton Centurion and his War Cry was enough to get Adam cussing, I’ll be sure to leave a swear jar out when he plays this. New enemies include:

Drone (two variations) – an ADVENT scout and crowd control unit
Naja (three variations) – a subspecies of the Viper that serves as an alien sniper unit
Muton Elite – a version of the Muton much more powerful than its predecessors
Sectoid Commander – an enhanced Sectoid with even greater psionic capabilities
Sidewinder (three variations) – a subspecies of the Viper that serves as a fast and agile flanker
Chryssalid Soldier – a larger and more intimidating variation of the Chryssalid
Hive Queen – an even larger Chryssalid all other Chryssalids bow down to
MEC Archer (two variations) – an ADVENT MEC equipped with long-range weaponry
ADVENT Sentry (three variations) – an ADVENT soldier that has great Overwatch abilities
ADVENT Rocketeer (three variations) – an ADVENT soldier with explosive ordinance
ADVENT Grenadier (three variations) – an ADVENT soldier equipped with flashbangs, fire grenades or acid grenades
ADVENT Gunner (three variations) – an ADVENT soldier with a cannon and the ability to suppress multiple XCOM soldiers at once

Oh dear oh dear! If you only want the old version of the mod, mind, it’s still on Nexus Mods.

Long War Studios have released six semi-official XCOM 2 mods so far. They’re also planning their own world-saving strategy game, Terra Invicta.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. GWOP says:

Does it come with a gimp suit?

2. Drinking with Skeletons says:

This sounds really cool, but how does it affect the difficulty curve? I would want a more interesting and varied experience, not a more difficult or frustrating one.

Although actually, all the DLC + all these mods might make Easy more engaging without being too simple for its own good.

• Wormerine says:

Going through a playthrough right now. It seems about right. All the new DLC and mods make the game feel fresh, and interesting. I wouldn’t recommend anything below Commander difficulty, though:-)

3. Rituro says:

This instantly sounds better than all official XCOM2 DLC so far. Definitely picking it up.

• Wormerine says:

I think you are a bit too cruel. The cosmetic one was a bit of a letdown. THe quality of items was great but just not my thing.

The other two are rock solid though!

• Rituro says:

Really? Based on what I’ve read, I was under the impression the XCOM2 batch of DLC was vastly inferior to XCOM’s, with the alien boss monsters in particular being game-breaking. Was that not the case?

• Slinkusss says:

Genuinely curious: How were the boss monsters game breaking? Like bug-wise or too hard or what? I didn’t encounter any new bugs due to the monsters and they are challenging but not too hard on the default difficulty. So what did you read about them breaking the game?

• merkmerk73 says:

Because certain mission types – especially VIP extractions – were never balanced around having a leader show up.

So if you’re on a high difficulty, and a leader shows up on a VIP mission, you’re probably going to lose every single soldier with no option to evac.

4. Slinkusss says:

Bah! Why is the nexus getting no love from Xcom modders? I read a reddit the other day where the author of the mod “stop wasting my time” said that he thinks 2/3rds of nexus users are pirates who don’t own the game and the uploading process is too convoluted. But I really really really hate steam….

• Slinkusss says:

Since there’s n way to edit:

The mod is actually available on the nexus, listed as updated on the 5th of August, so hooray for Nexus and boo for Steam!

AutonomyLost says:

I’ve yet to complete a single playthrough of this, admittedly, fine game, for which I’m only slightly embarrassed, having owned it from day-one.

It’s been a while since I’ve had it running; I’ll be sure to begin a new campaign with this, and various other mods, installed when I give it another go.

Props to Long War Studios.

6. Coming Second says:

Feels like I’m already getting the experience this mod is aiming for with the Better Advent and Better Pods mods (and I wonder to what extent they conflict?). If you haven’t already availed yourself of those two I cannot recommend them enough, they spice the base game up a great deal.

7. fearandloathing says:

Wish they were just done with those snake-y types. I mean sure XCOM’s lore is not solid anyways, but older enemies had a sense of design them; chop that, genengineer that and here you go a nice floater for flying and shit. Lets get that arachnoid a bit puffed up, o la la a mindless chryssalid. But human-sized snakes? In what way such a thing can be combat-efficient, especially when you supersize that and take all of its natural advantages, damn. I’m very intrigued by Gallop’s new game though, mixing and merging of species on that prototype was sick as hell.
    *haven’t played the game yet though, meheh, it’s too pricy, I’ll get it next year I guess.

• merkmerk73 says:

I think I’m with you – even though XCOM is a game about aliens and they sometimes look cartoonish, there was still a certain theme

The snakes kind of broke that – almost like having a dragon and wizard show up in a star trek game. Not quite that severe, but the snakes in XCOM are probably a 4/10 where as a dragon and a wizard showing up in a stark trek game are a 10/10 – they’re on the same spectrum.

• Vaemer-Riit says:

@fearandloathing You are aware that there was Snakemen in the original XCom right?

link to

phuzz says:

“Hive Queen – an even larger Chryssalid ”
    Nope, nope, nope, nope. Do Not Want.