Life Flashes Before Your Eyes With Each Blink In This First-Person Tragedy

You know how it is. One minute you’re playing with toy cars in your nappy and the next minute you’re 35 years old and Jenkins wants those reports by Monday. Close Your [official site] is a first-person game that hopes to replicate the speedy passage of life. Each time you – the real you – blinks, your webcam will detect it and launch the story forward, sometimes by several years. You might be hanging out with your new mates on the first day of school, blink, and suddenly be in da club, dancing with strangers. Blink again and would you look at that, you’re at your desk job and there he is. Jenkins.

Alice wrote about Close Your back in 2014 but she must have blinked since then because here we are in 2016 and it has just launched a Kickstarter to fund a graphical overhaul. The team behind it are hoping to get it released in February next year, which will come along any moment now. Here’s a short trailer explaining things.

It looks like a first-person reimagining of that one scene from Up. At the beginning of the game you’ll be hit by a car, the developers explain, and then have a quick chat with Death as he gives you the tutorial for dying. Each blink might skip ahead a few minutes or whole years. Here’s what the developers, GoodbyeWorld Games, say about that:

“Since blinking is an inevitable physical process, each of these vignettes is imbued with inherent tension. You may close your eyes on your first kiss, and open them at your wedding, or close your eyes on a fight with your mother, only to open them at her funeral.

That sounds like good bait for uncontrollable weeping to me. There also seem to be subtle actions that will have an impact on what happens down the line. The story will change depending on how you behave in each scene, the developers claim, rather than relying on the “obvious moral choices” of games like Telltale’s adventures. If you decide to work hard at your desk instead of fraternising with your co-workers, for example, the game will track it and “reflect your unique disposition” later on.

The main thing for them now is getting the graphics re-jigged and making sure the real-world blinky feature works with everybody’s dodgy webcams. Hopefully nobody will figure out the obvious exploit of winking each eye independently.

Assuming it hits the $20,000 Kickstarter goal, Close Your is due in February 2017.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Lexx87 says:

Interesting concept! What if I have itchy eyes and I blink 10 times in a minute? Game Over?

InfamousPotato says:

Never fear! From the kickstarter FAQ section, it seems the developers are keeping everybody’s quirks/circumstances/disabilities in mind. They plan to allow a button press, in case actually blinking doesn’t work for you. They also plan for people who don’t have the use of both eyes.

Der Zeitgeist says:

Oh man, I think I’ll have to stock up on Kleenex before playing this one. Right in the feels.

3. aldo_14 says:

It’s good job they’re planning on rejigging the graphics, though, as I don’t think you’d get much of an emotional response from blockheads.

Thirith says:

I’m getting a faint Chris Ware vibe from that first screenshot.

Aerothorn says:

I see where you’re coming from, but it’s basically 100% Blendo. A lot of games have been inspired by the look of Gravity Bone but this is the first one I’ve seen to just copy it (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

Thirith says:

It’s funny: the style of the face completely kept me from seeing the Blendo thing, yet now that you’ve mentioned it it’s obvious. Still, the way the faces are drawn distinguishes this sufficiently for me – I still see a more cutesy Jimmy Corrigan style first before the Blendo boxiness registers.

• goodbyeworldwil says:

I was 4 months in to development when my friend made me play all of blendo cubehead games (I love Brendan, he’s a friend of mine in LA, he is our trailblazer 100%) and I just said “how do they look better and they dont even have arm joints!” We wish we could get to blendo level then on zero budget, but yeah, gonna rejigger the hell out of it so we can be our own selves.

InfamousPotato says:

I think I’m going to back this. I find the idea behind it quite appealing, and it’s clear the team knows what they’re doing. My only worry, despite loving games like Gravity Home, was that the art style might not let it live up to its full potential, but it seems they plan to take care of that too.

6. 9of9 says:

I think blinking one eye at a time is a fairly straightforward tactic to just disqualify and count that as a proper blink. Squinting on the other hand, I reckon is a harder one. I don’t know if it’s something everyone can do, but I find that if you squint relatively hard without closing your eyes completely, you don’t really need to blink but can still see.

7. Darth Gangrel says:

It sounds a bit like the Adam Sandler movie Click, which was quite good for an Adam Sandler movie. Even made me cry once, in that scene where he looks back at the last time he saw his father alive.

Comment on this story