Overwatch Season 1 Comes To A Close Mid-August

Overwatch’s [official site] competitive mode has been chugging away for over a month now, but it’s time to wind things down a bit. The game’s first season will draw to a close on August 17. Blizzard will be taking advantage of the break to repair bits and pieces, including the skill rating system. The company also plans to completely wipe sudden death rounds.

So what do these end times mean for current players? Well, if you finished your placement rounds, Blizzard is treating you to a player icon and a special spray. You get an extra icon and spray if you managed to rank in the top 500 players on your platform, too!

What’s more, you’ll earn competitive points (CP) based on your skill ranking (SR) reached by the end of the season. Here’s the break down Blizzard provided:

• SR 0-39: 10 CPs
  • SR 40-45: 20 CPs
  • SR 46-49: 40 CPs
  • SR 50-52: 60 CPs
  • SR 53-55: 80 CPs
  • SR 56-59: 120 CPs
  • SR 60-64: 200 CPs
  • SR 65+: 300 CPs

Collect enough of those suckers and you’ll be able to unlock the much coveted golden weapon skins, which, rumour has it, are quite shiny. Season 2 is expected to begin on September 6, although that might be pushed back depending on how smoothly those system improvements roll out.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Oakreef says:

Oh wow I thought I was doing not-entirely-terrible in comp but apparently I’m in the second from last bracket

2. Bluestormzion says:

But what if I’m in SR-388?

• AlexW says:

If you’re on SR388, take Mei, obviously. Is this even a question? She might need some climbing gear, but nobody else would survive five minutes in that deathtrap.

3. LearningToSmile says:

The news made me finally get off my butt and finish placements.

I ended up at 55, which is pretty average(though apparently the difference between me and a friend currently at 45 is literally almost 50% of the playerbase). I’m going to try my luck at getting to 60. Maybe even finally get around to connecting my mic so I can coordinate a bit better.

Overwatch is a pretty fun game, gotta say it’s got me hooked. Just hope Blizzard actually acknowledges the rampant hacking accusation and clears the names of players involved. Because someone new trying to watch tournament games and hearing that literally everyone on top 3-4 teams is confirmed hacker(an actual opinion that was heavily upvoted on the /competitiveoverwatch/ joke of a subreddit) would be pretty put off, and it might really hurt the popularity of the game.

Syt says:

I will get 10 CP! W00t! :D

5. lagiacrux says:

im usually pretty competitive when it comes to my multiplayer games (dota2 ranked, wow arena, diablo ladder, etc.) but after the botched launch of season 1 (skillrating bugs, supports getting less mmr, etc) i lost interest pretty quickly.

i still enjoy the occasional quickplay with friends or solo, but i have no interest in competitive any more. i will probably play my placement matches for season 2 but thats about it.

6. Banks says:

I hope we get a new map and a new hero at the beginning of the next season.

7. awm says:

I stopped once my ranking reached 26 and I decided I was too insecure to see just how low I can go.

8. AeroSauce says:

Currently Rank 68

To be honest, there’s no teamplay unless you group as a team or go above 65 then everyone will communicate somehow with you.
    I’m a zarya main with 70 hrs on record (AeroSauce#1267)
    and i still feel like i could do ten times better than i have been, it all boils down to who’s got the better team, who can save their ults better. and if your team coordinates and focuses correctly. i.e: you don’t want your teams reaper trying to kill tracer while theres a roadhog on you…

anyway most of that is my opinion

Happy Hunting Next Season!