All Those No Man’s Sky Trailers In One Place

Choo choooo! All aboard the Hype Express, next stop Trailersville. No Man’s Sky [official site] has been blowing its own fanfare for the past few days with a bunch of trailers giving sneak peeks of what you’ll actually be doing in space and on the surface of all those lovely-looking, potentially hazardous planets. If you haven’t had a chance to see them all yet, here they are gathered together.

Choo-chooooooo! It’s so pleasant on this Hype train, isn’t it. But what’s the final destination? It could be Disappointmentville, or maybe Acceptance-That-This-Game-Isn’t-The-Best-Thing-Ever-But-Still-Pretty-OK Town. We don’t know because review copies still haven’t been sent out to anyone yet and this is causing all sorts of pandemonium, from a punter paying over a thousand dollars for it and streaming it from his sofa, to journos scavenging around in shops to secure an illicit early copy. It’s all pretty absurd.

Like a lot of folks, the more I see of its space-faring and gun-shooting, the less excited I am. Partly that’s because something that was once an ethereal dream of a game is now quickly being made solid. Even though many people have been saying “don’t get your hopes too high” for years, I suspect the enthusiasm No Man’s Sky was met with has cursed it from the first moment the world laid eyes on the interstellar postcard fantasy back in December 2013.

However, like I say, we don’t know what it’s really like yet. But we’ll have our verdict soon enough, just you wait. It’s scheduled for release on Steam on August 12.

Disclosure: Our Alec has done some last minute writing on No Man’s Sky. He won’t write about it on the site anymore. Or make eye contact with us.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Hunchback says:

Am i the only one to not be hyped at all?

• goalcam says:

Given that you see the exact same comment on every single article or piece of media about No Man’s Sky, I’d say no, you aren’t the only one.

• KoenigNord says:

No, probably not. I’ve been on it 4 years back but the itch healed with the shortcomings of new information.

• Orix says:

I’ve been following this game fairly closely, so I know what to expect I think, I am therefore excitement cut with cautious optimism that I will indeed enjoy this game.

That being said, the day one patch notes did get me a bit more excited.

I played Subnautica earlier this year, and while NMS is obviously very different, the exploring an alien environment while trying to survive theme behind both leads me to believe I will enjoy it.

UncleBAZINGA says:

I’m wasn’t ever hyped for this one as well, buddy. Nonetheless now that it gets released soon I’m interested what players and critics will say about the game.

• DThor says:

Naw, plenty of us never once thought it sounded like a good idea. I know people who were saying the same thing since day one. I was (am?) still of a mind to be blown away and proven arrogantly wrong, but since seeing the leaked videos I’m not seeing a single thing that I personally would find even remotely interesting. It’s a pebble collecting grind.

Captain Narol says:

Pebble collecting is the favorite hobby of many people, you know ?

Anyway NMS definitely isn’t gonna be the right game for guys with your frame of mind, why do you even lose your time watching the videos and ready news about it ? Masochism ?

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Gamer culture and keeping up with the industry slowly shrivelled away my hype cortex causing chronic Cynicitis.
      I’m just unable to get exited for unreleased games today. Sad.
      On the other hand the Cynicitis saves a bunch of money and disappointment when I purchase most stuff a couple of Steam Sales post release. It also helps to keep expectations in check, a better experience when not expecting the delivery of impossibilities.

I hope NMS will be good-excellent and if it is I’ll get it either next Holiday Sale or Summer Sale 17, too many sandboxers in the backlog as-is.

Syt says:

It’ll be available on Steam, yes, but it will also be on

• Ooops says:

This! Please support a healthy competition (not to mention DRM-free stuff) by mentioning legit sites where games can be purchased. This can only bring benefits for the consumer in the long run.

• KastaRules says:

I think GOG is the best platform around with the greatest management of them all. Yet I am Steam dependent.

• Troubletcat says:

For those of us living in Australia it’s also a solid $20 cheaper on GoG than on Steam.

I’m starting to shift to buying as much as I can on GoG rather than Steam. Steam has a slightly more friendly refund policy but otherwise GoG seems to provide a better service. GoG can’t really echo Steam’s “Under 2 hours/2 weeks no questions asked” refund policy because of the lack of DRM, anyway.

Too bad lots of publishers will never, ever go for releasing a DRM-free version of their new big thing, at least not until it hits the bargain bin. After all, their DRM is super-effective and totally prevents pirated copies from being available on launch or, at best/worst, within a week or two.

3. nofare says:

I’m on the not-hyped train with you Hunchback. That’s me, behind you, massaging your back’s hunch. See? It’s nice.

It feels that I’ve been on that not-hyped train for a while now though. Total War Warhammer briefly did something to my hype-innards at one point, but that quickly faded when I realized it was just, well, Total War without the depth.

And that’s it really. Hype slides on my delicious body like sewer water on an oiled-up baby rabbit.

4. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Though everything in the trailers makes it look like the greates thing ever created, I’m remaining firmly in the ‘cautiously optimistic’ crowd, which is working well for me so far. After the enormous disappointment that was ED:Space Delivery Boy, I’d like to think NMS can make a better go of the emergent universe thing.

Kind of funny that Frontier made such a gaffe out of Space Truck Simulator, because their other project, Planet Coaster is shaping up to be the best park builder (and general building/management game) I’ve ever played, and it still only in alpha.

• syndrome says:

I sincerely cannot remember the universe in which Elite wasn’t a space trucking game…. What’s wrong with everybody, was I teleported to this universe — in which everything is illogical and incongruent with its own past — without me being aware of it?

• Iamblichos says:

LOL… no, child, think back to the Long-Ago, in the Times Before, when ED was going to be All Things To All Men (or since this is games journalism world, All Things To All Gendered and Ungendered Beings)! It was going to be a shoot-em-bang, a trading sim, a base builder, the One True Game! And then it came out. Some people still play it.

This is the path blazed for NMS, and it seems to be headed there. I want to be wrong, but I suspect I won’t be.

5. Player1 says:

I still think it could be a great piece of entertainment. What got me a bit worried though is that in all videos I’ve seen so far the life forms on the planets seem to be of the spore/dinosaur/earthly variety. It does look like most of the planets have some similarities to hour habitat on earth. Not the variety I was hoping for, but then again, I haven’t played the game yet.

• Bobtree says:

HG have said they specifically chose earth-like life for the preview material to make it understandable. The example they gave was that if you see some very alien fish underwater, but they don’t look like our fish, the scene is hard to grasp without more context. This is why the trailers’ aliens are dinosaurs and such. Footage from the early leaked copies has far stranger stuff.

6. Chewbacca says:

Everything in the trailers (except maybe for the planets and wildlife) looked a bit outdated and not really that great. And of course a lot of fast cuts so you don’t have time to really recognize that. “Epic spacebattles”? Didn’t looked that epic but rather very basic combat with boring weapons animations. I mean I will wait for the reviews but normally a trailer should make the game look better than it is. So this doesn’t seem that good…

7. laiwm says:

They’re probably picking them to suit a particular tone for the trailers, rather than trying to show off maximum variety. The limits of procedural animation mean there can only be so many types of animal though, so I’m generally avoiding any information beyond “is it good” so there’ll be some surprises left to discover.

• laiwm says:

Meant to be a reply to Player1 up there. This comment system man…

8. Pogs says:

BBC tech program Click did a feature on it over the weekend. I’m sure its on the iplayer. First 10 or so minutes of the program – devs talk about the style, procedural generation etc. Worth a watch if you want an overview of the game.

9. Kowie says:

Its gonna be another one of these games that appeals to a certain audience and doesn’t to these who buy way to much into the hype but don’t quite realise what they are getting themselves involved with.

• Raoul Duke says:

So every single game?

• Kowie says:

NMS is obviously a more niche game than general mainstream games = no the disconnect is going to hit these who don’t know fully what they are getting themselves into a lot harder.

10. yogibbear says:

My current funk is:
    Rocket League
    Dota 2
    GTA V Online

If No Man’s Sky can stop me playing any of the above for a couple of weeks then I’m happy.

Captain Narol says:

I don’t expect the best game ever, for the most part it’s gonna be quite a Walking Simulator in Infinite Space…

However, that’s a niche that appeals to many people including myself and I expect to have lots of fun it for a long long time !

It should have been named “Noctis Mega-Proteus Sky”, people would have known what to expect then and it would have killed the hype…

12. Stevostin says:

The need to lower expectation is understandable. OTOH it’s a game that does one cool thing no other game does, ie a travel from ground to galaxy scaled universe (Elite Horizons does that) with walk, fps and more importantly procedural generated lifeforms. AFAICT it’s the only game that does that, plus it looks and sounds nice. In a normal world, that should probably be celebrated at least a little IMO, even if the gameplay turns out to be not that exciting.

Beside, I am pretty sure any “but how do you play it” video of Minecraft would have been pretty uninspiring. You have to play the thing for that kind of games.

Captain Narol says:

Day one patch notes there ( ** BEWARE, SPOILERS **)

link to

Quite a big day one patch, makes me think the game is not really finished yet but that they will keep on working hard on it to offer more and more over time for the patient people who will stick with it !

• Leroy says:

A good blog post by Rami Ismail regarding Day 1 patches:
      link to

Note, I’m not saying you’re wrong. I am a little worried about large gameplay changes this close to launch. But this is a good, related, blog post

14. Rizlar says:

I would delight in being proven wrong but: all the movement looks floaty and terrible, all the universe generation looks like Spore (which was admittedly kind of awesome but also severely lacking). At one point in that last video there is a dolphin-tailed creature with horizontal tail fins paddling side to side. Eh?

15. Morcane says:

Can’t really wait, from what I’ve seen it looks like a game right up my alley, but I can understand it’s not going to be for everyone.

• LennyLeonardo says:

This comment is just not good enough. It doesn’t contain the words “hype”, “Spore”, or “Molyneux”. Poor show.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Henceforth known as the “HySporOlyneux comment factor”

16. baseless_drivel says:

If you’re still “cautiously optimistic,” you have the (mis?)fortune of being able to watch PS4 players stream come August 9th (tomorrow). Pre-orders are typically a risky gamble at best, but to pre-order at this current point in time would be pretty dumb.

17. ropable says:

Eh, looks pretty nice. Cautiously optimistic over here.

18. Czrly says:

I just know that every time I read “Discovered By: L33tHax0r11” and the user-name isn’t my own, I’ll be livid. I simply cannot imagine “fun” exploration that continually reminds you that you were late to the party.

Sure, every game I play has been played by others. None of them rub that in my face.

• Stevostin says:

From what I understand even seeing something that has already been discovered will be a rare occurrence.

19. TheAngriestHobo says:

One thing I’ve never been clear on… do all players have the same starting point? It would make sense to spread us out, so that more players get to experience the feeling of discovery early on, but I don’t know how that would mesh with the story of NMS.

20. causticnl says:

wow brendall really doesnt like the game already. my bet he’s doing the review also for rps? then I know already the outcome.

• Troubletcat says:

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Captain Narol says:

My feeling is that our dear Brendan is in fact as impatient as us to put his hands on that game and that in consequence he may resent a little that RPS didn’t receive any review copies yet…

Anyway, he might like the final product or not, in all cases his thoughts are always interesting and mind-stimulating so I look forward for his point of view !