2000+ Amiga Games To Play For Free In Your Browser

The Internet Archive has previously made banks of emulated games available to play in your browser – from the DOS era, from arcade machines, from Ataris and Segas and other old consoles – but none of that tickled my thumbs much. That they’ve just added 2000+ Amiga games, however, has me reaching for my Zip Stick. From Lemmings 2: The Tribes to R-Type, these were the games of my youth.

The emulator is written in JavaScript, which means you shouldn’t need to install anything special in order to play the games. That’s not to say that every game will work necessarily – there’s no way to create save games, for starters – and the site’s search field isn’t working for me so I can’t check how deep its database of games goes. I hope it has Body Blows and Football Glory.

This is, of course, of questionable legality. The Internet Archive works under the hope that emulating these games is valid and fair given that most or all of the games are no longer for sale in any form. They’re also putting the burden on the copyright holder to get in touch and ask for their game to be removed if they don’t want it up there. Jason Scott, the archivist responsible for putting together the collection, argued at 2015’s GDC that “Workplace theft is the future of game history,” and spoke to us more about his thoughts when it comes to the preservation of MMOs.

Of course, it’s been possible, with a little digging, to emulate Amiga games for a long time. WinUAE is easy to setup and use it’ll allow you to save your games as you play. I haven’t done it in a while, but finding the ROMs for Amiga games meanwhile used to mean trawling through websites of questionable intention. Making the platform’s long history easily accessible in your browser with a couple of clicks is valuable work.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. JustAPigeon says:

Cheetah Bug best joystick.

This is wonderful news.

• JustAPigeon says:

Oh god the A320 airbus games. I still have my original boxes somewhere, complete with paper enroute charts and Jeppesen approach plates.

This is the greatest day of my life.

• jj2112 says:

That’s the game that rated you depending on landing distance, fuel consumption vs. pre-flight calculations, etc. right? It was really hard. I think I’ve still got the game around somewhere.

• JustAPigeon says:

Yeah I think so. I remember planning routes on the enroute charts and doing them VOR to VOR. Wrote a little program to do a basic fuel calculation.

• Jonnyuk77 says:

Multi-coloured cruiser FTW

• banana says:

What?! Heresy!
      There is only ONE joystick. The hallowed Competition Pro.

2. rustybroomhandle says:

Some of the disks seem to not be working right due to some configuration issues, but do work on full emulators. Cloanto’s Amiga Forever is a decent way to emulate things all legal-like, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Deluxe Galaga is one that I can’t get working in-browser, but the downloaded disk does work. That one, incidentally, was made by a guy named Edgar Vigdal, who passed away last year due to cancer. Er, happy Tuesday… puppies, kittens, etc!

• BiggerJ says:

I originally bought Amiga Forever to get the roms and Workbench disks but god damn if it doesn’t make it easy to dink about with the settings to make things work (and its automatic database check, if it recognizes a game, can set it up for you if you’re lucky). A tip: select the best-compatibility present configuration (after selecting your desired Amiga model). It usually works. Then don’t forget to enable selective turbo if you’re impatient.

3. Kefren says:

WinUAE is great. I love the ability to save state and finally complete games that were impossibly hard in the day. I use an 8-way microswitched USB Kempston-style joystick to play them (with a second for games like International Karate +, Bubble Bobble etc).

It’s why I am so against DRM – which of today’s games will be playable like this in the future?

• Llewyn says:

While I agree about the impact of DRM on future preservation, I don’t think an article about Amiga emulation of all things is the place to make that argument.

• jmtd says:

Some Amiga games are impossible to play unmodified due to their copy protection efforts. One has to find an archive copy not of the original game but of a cracked version sometimes. I think that’s interesting.

4. King in Winter says:

Oh, this reminds me again that I’ve been meaning to install WinUAE for a while now. I’ve no problem with downloading a ROM file – I own a physical chip since I paid good money for it back in the day when I updgraded my A1200 from 3.0 to 3.1. Less means of making a file from that chip, I’ll just grab one from the interwebs thankyouverymuch.

5. Michael Fogg says:

Body Blows is in fact currently available on Gog.com

• Kefren says:

The controls of the version on GOG were totally broken when I tried it last year. I can’t remember the actual problem – whether I couldn’t redefine things, or the gamepad wasn’t recognised – but I really couldn’t play it. So I booted it up in WinUAE and the old muscle memory kicked in there instead. :-)

6. satan says:

Daaaaaaamn that screenshot just took me back 25+ years in time, my very first game.

• Llewyn says:

How unfortunate, it’s been pretty much all downhill from Wizball!

(No, not serious, but the C64 version remains one of my best loved games ever)

7. geldonyetich says:

Color me a bit disappointed. I scrolled down the list sorted from A-Z and encountered hundreds of magazine compilations and cracker demos. The stuff on this downloadable Amiga software database is easily 95% of these.

Alright, looking for Armor Geddon, I searched for “Armor.” Nope, afraid not. Okay, since Cinemaware games are best experienced on the Amiga, searched for “Defender” from Defender of the crown. Found “Defender of the Carrot.” So close, yet so far.

• Darloth says:

Armor Geddon is basically nowhere on the internet, in any form except scans of review pages and some walkthroughs. I’ve been looking for years. Armor Geddon 2… even less! It’s like it never existed. I only played the demo of 2, and I’d really like to see it again, but I just can’t find any trace of it.

• tormos says:

armour-geddon is available in the DOS library here: link to archive.org

• PancakeWizard says:

Yeah I couldn’t find a single game I actually remembered myself.

Trick r Treat

I don’t know if the search function is broken or what, but even if it’s a demo it doesn’t help that so many are ‘Amiga Demos #025’ as a single entry.

caff says:

The Atari ST was where it was at. It had MIDI and, er, TOS. Quite a few iterations of TOS actually.

Addie says:

Had an Amiga 1200 myself and a long-term lend of my uncle’s Atari STE, back in the day.

The Atari was the better ‘business’ machine, the slightly better processor made it more suited for eg. playing chess, and the MIDI ports would make it the preferred machine if you actually had all the gear. I remember all the text adventures being better on Atari, as well. But the built-in audio for the Amiga trounced the awful Atari equivalent, and graphically it was a complete kerb-stomping, the Amiga was hugely superior in every way.

Games at the time tended to be developed for Amiga first, and then ported to ST and DOS, losing a lot along the way – usually colourful graphics and the music, in both cases. Although DOS tends to be the easiest to emulate now, the Amiga versions were usually definitive.

tl;dr What Atari did better is hardly worth emulating now, being massively outclassed by modern PCs, but the Amiga still has loads of great games.

9. Monchberter says:

Base Jumpers – Check.
    No Mans Land – Check.

10. Werthead says:

I immediately looked for the mighty Walker (the Psygnosis game) and found the demo. Hilariously, you have to navigate an emulated Amiga Workbench desktop to get it working (not what I was expecting to be doing tonight). It’s even more ridiculously hard than I remember.

It seems astonishing these days that you’d pay £24.99 (in early 1990s money) for a game that would absolutely brutally murder you fifty times during the first ten minutes you played it before you started learning the ropes.

11. perilousrob says:

Zip Stick? That looks like a shady clone of the legendary and wonderful Competition Pro joystick that graced my ST & Amiga both.

There was also the great looking but stupidly easy to break Quickshot 2 Turbo.

Ahh, nostalgia!

12. CartonofMilk says:

Great…….except it doesnt work very well. Tried 3 games, all of them seem bug out and wouldn’t load past the title screen or intro

13. Jack_Empty says:

Zip-Sticks were the best joysticks of that era. If you think otherwise, you didnt own one. It was all about the 8 microswitches back then.

14. Shazbut says:

All the ones I tried so far have been demos not the full game

15. SixThe9th says:

Maybe I will sound like a noob now, but I am unable to switch anyone of the games (using Mozilla) into fullscreen and all of them have suffer from lagging. The sounds and music sounds like a hallucination through all that modulation. Is that a common problem that nobody talks about anymore or perhaps is there a way around? I have a gaming laptop, so I doubt it would be a problem of the hw. Thx.

16. TanemB says:

Why do you recommend readers illegally pirate thousands of Amiga games instead of buying them? Should we be illegally pirating all video games?