No Man’s Sky AMA Talks PC Release And FOV Options

No Man’s Sky is out today in some territories for PlayStation 4, but us PC bods have to wait till Friday. There’s probably contractual reasons for that, but Hello Games are apparently also “racing to get all the extra options and stuff” into the PC version. That’s from a Reddit AMA that developer Sean Murray did late last night, which has information about PC release times, FOV sliders and more.

The AMA quickly became one of the most popular ever, and the comments were mostly celebratory: from Murray, who is obviously happy and relieved that the game he and his team have been working on for five years is finally coming out; and from the commenters, who are excited to finally be able to play the game and seem to genuinely appreciate No Man’s Sky’s ambition to be something new. It’s quite a nice read.

There were a few tidbits of information about the PC release, too. Someone asked about the release date:

The reality is that we’re still here working on it right now. There’s no conspiracy, we’re just racing to get all the extra options and stuff we want. PS4 comes out tomorrow and we’ll just try to pretend it’s a normal work day! Best guess right now is 6pm GMT on Friday, but we’ll keep you up to date as we get closer.

Murray followed that up with an anecdote:

I’ll tell you a funny story about PC. I was here late yesterday, and I had to take a break and do an interview with Playboy (!) – and the guy was like “what are you working on when you go back downstairs?” and I was like “compatibility for ATI opengl drivers”, and he said “ummm…. could you make something up. That sounds pretty nerdy”. I always knew I wasn’t Playboy article material :)

Naturally, people asked about extra options would be available for the PC version, including the FOV slider. Credit to Murray for the response:

Innes and Charlie are here working on it right now, but every time someone asks we take away one degree of field of view

Which links to this image:

Strong. There’s a whole lot more through on the full thread, linked above.

Disclosure: Our Alec did some writing for No Man’s Sky. He won’t be writing about it for us anymore.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Andrew says:

Did you… Did you killed Alec?! о_О

Captain Narol says:

According to the first early reviews that I’ve seen so far, the game seems to be quite like a 3D version of “Out There” in a quasi-infinite procedural space (they even stole the alien langage discovery system from it, obviously), which is perfect for me as “Out There” was one of my fav games from last year and I was longing for more of that kind…

Overall the first impressions sounds rather positive, but the game isn’t what many hoped to be. Up to you people to see if it’s your kind of stuff or not, so you don’t get disappointed by misplaced expectations.

Captain Narol says:

For those who still wonder and repeat endlessly the unimaginative meme “What do you do in NMS ?”, Sean Murray from Hello Games took the time to answer you CLEARLY :

link to

Captain Narol says:

A quote from it, for those too lazy to follow the link and read all of it :

“That means this maybe isn’t the game you *imagined* from those trailers. If you hoped for things like pvp multiplayer or city building, piloting freighters, or building civilisations… that isn’t what NMS is. Over time it might become some of those things through updates.

For instance, freighters and building bases *are* coming! Read about updates coming here.

At launch though, it’s an infinite procedural sci-fi-space-survival-sandbox unlike anything you have ever played before. If you decide to play it, you’ll see just how closely it plays to those trailers, and to our original vision. It’s a weird game, it’s a niche game and it’s a very very chill game.”

• Andrew says:

ver time it might become some of those things through updates.

What. *faints*

On more serious note, I’m curious about mods. There is no official support right now, but devs want to do it. But what can be modded? We have server stuff, “super formula” (-ish) and other things that, I assume, hard to change, if at all. UI, more inventory slots and all that we can expect, for sure, bit can someone inject proper Earth with Earth fauna and flora? Not with official tools, it seems. Borg and Wookie factions? Same(?). Redstone-like automation? Maybe after base building update?

I’m not trying to (over)hype something we don’t even have yet, but it would be interesting if NMS would become next “Minecraft”.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I expect that mod support, if there is any, will be limited to purely cosmetic changes. There is too much going on server side to allow any meaningful changes to stuff like gameplay.

• Andrew says:

My understanding, that not that much going on a server side. Your machine doing all the work and syncs it with a server. So, again, I assume, if I send server name of the planet that was modded in, there can be a problem. But server don’t know what you do on the planet itself.

Captain Narol says:

Btw, one interesting thing that Sean said on reddit is that PC players and PS4 players will be on 2 different servers !

So concretely that means there will be 2 parallel NMS universes and that no console player will have landed first on the planets visited by the PC nation !

Nauallis says:

Or alternately, that those scum-sucking console playmates have an entire universe all to themselves to paw with their filthy gamepad-dusted appendages. This is intolerable for the true elite of the gaming multi-verse, the PC master race. We must demand that the peasant server be burned down by our Lord and Savior, Sean Murray.

Did I get it right?

• Andrew says:

@Nauallis Close enough.

phuzz says:

When I first saw screenshots of NMS I was intrigued, it looked amazing.
    As time wore on, and hype intensified, I stopped caring (I try not to get caught up in hype about games, Molyneux burned me once too many times).
    Now it’s almost out, I’m starting to be interested again. Give it a few months, see what the reviews look like, and how much after sales support there is, and I can see me picking this up and massively enjoying it, in say, October.

6. TeePee says:

I’m kind of in a happy indifference to NMS at the moment. I’m not really excited by it in any great way, and I have no real expectations of it. However, I’m also not completely disinterested in it, and assuming my aging GTX 670 can cope with it, I’ll likely pick it up at some point – I don’t really have any good ‘chillout’ games at the moment, so this might be a good one to have.

It’s kind of nice to have a game coming up that *might* be brilliant, but I have no expectations of it whatsoever, and as long as it’s not a pile of trash (which it appears not to be), I’m not likely to be disappointed by it.

7. tkioz says:

Thank bloody god. The amount of games that force me to stuff around with .ini files and other config settings just to alter the FoV is staggering, and I don’t want the option to be an elitist wanker but to avoid doing actual physical harm to myself.

Playing with a low FoV makes me ill, the cramped confined sensation brings on migraines that leave me unable to function for upwards of three days, same as with 3D movies.

I don’t care how good your game is, if it makes me honestly sick to my stomach with a pounding headache that requires me to lay down in a dark room and you refuse to include functionality that allows me to avoid I’m not bloody playing it.

So few developers actually consider accessibility at all and they damn well need to start because I’m far from alone with this, just do a quick google and you’ll find many many people asking questions on how to avoid blinding pain while playing games.

• Eclipse says:

same here. my ideal setting is a 110-120 degrees fov if the game is fast paced. I can play with a 100 fov, a 90 fov starts to really bother me (damn you hl2), below 90 i just cannot play the damn thing

• syndrome says:

Is it really that physiological?

I get the sense of confinement, or that the narrow image crop implies a wider picture that is just invisible, instead of being a peripheral blur, but a migraine?

I really thought it was just because you got used to it big time, like in Quake or Doom, where having a larger FOV is clearly an advantage. Having peripheral cues plays a big role in situational and spatial awareness, but it’s the first time I hear someone has painful experiences when these are missing.

I thought the worse that could happen is some sort of motion sickness.

Natural forward-focused FOV is around 60 degrees, but peripheral vision adds another 60 if I’m not mistaken, so 90-100 should be some sort of standard setting, if 120 is too much.

Anything less than 80 feels a little claustrophobic even for my taste, especially nowadays on wide screens.

• tkioz says:

Is it really that physiological?

It is for me, it’s related to motion sickness which I also suffer from, having a wider view prevents trouble.

• bigblack says:

(So glad No Man’s Sky has included multiple adjustments for this!)

Narrow FOV leads to 100% physiological side-effects for me. I feel very strongly about it being a standard feature, like brightness etc.

Just Cause 3 is the most recent game I simply cannot play (and returned) because it refuses to allow any hint of peripheral vision from Rico’s 3rd-person perspective.

Without the successful illusion of a convex/coned field of vision I experience nausea in just a few minutes, and eye fatigue shortly after, as it feels my view is trapped at the center of a box, instead of being encouraged to slide my eyes around, looking at and toward the edges of my 27″ monitor. If the act of looking away from the center of the screen is discouraged because no meaningful additional visual information can be gained without also moving my mouse-hand, I quickly begin experiencing an uncomfortable tunnel-vision effect as the focus stays mostly at center-screen, and my eyes stop moving around.

Developers should ALWAYS compensate for eye movement with design, either by framing the action using distance to eliminate constrictive focal points, or by allowing for FOV adjustments. My opinion of course, but REWARD the player for looking around the screen with their eyes, as well as their mouse, or your game will have shitty visual ergonomics, and its likely a segment of players will automatically be fatigued or uncomfortable when playing.

8. aircool says:

My other half is away to Malta next weekend for her annual respite away from me, so NMS looks like it might be a good way to pass the time.

9. clive dunn says:

Could anyone help me with a question regarding the minimum specs. I only have 4gb of RAM and see that the minimum requirement is 8gb. Due to an annoying problem I cannot upgrade my RAM without upgrading my motherboard and I’m pretty skint atm. I have a half decent 960 graphics card (and a creaky amd chip) and can run most things on highish settings.
    My brother really wants to buy me NMS for my birthday but I’m worried it won’t run. Does anyone know how crucial that RAM issue is going to be?

10. DanMan says:

Aha, so it’s OpenGL. Can we have a Vulkan version, too, then please?

11. Fropp says:

So who the hell is Alec who gets a mention on every article about NMS?

Captain Narol says:

You don’t know Alec Sander, aka “The Great” ?