911 Operator: A Game About Being A… 911 Operator

I’ve said before that I want more games that place you into the interesting shoes of people with interesting jobs, just as Papers, Please dropped you into the role of a customs officer. 911 Operator intrigues, then; it’s a game where you play the person on the end of the phone when you ring the emergency services. From crimes in progress, to terrible injuries, to cats being stuck up in trees, you have to say the right things on the phone, dispatch the right services in time, and you can play on a street map of any real city in the world.

The game’s been on Kickstarter for long enough to already reach double its small goal, and there’s a video below.

Here’s the successful pitch video:

I have no idea if there’s a time pressure on your decisions, but if there is the game might prove too stressful to handle. People on the phone asking me how to properly dress the wound from the leg they just chopped off is the stuff of nightmares, but that’s one of the situations that can happen in the game’s “Duty” mode. The other half of the game is a “management” mode in which you can “recruit additional team members, buy vehicles and equipment and watch an after action report, where you can find out what happened to your callers.”

The game uses OpenStreetMap to let you pull in any city you can think to type into the box. The video above shows examples from New York and other major cities, but I quite like the idea of taking charge of the emergency services in my island village. I imagine that the game won’t change according to location given its budget and size, but I dream of an expansion pack featuring emergency calls about those three cows being out on the road again.

There are ten days remaining on the game’s Kickstarter and $9 will net you a copy of the game on its project November 2016 release.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Turkey says:

I’d get up to get down to play this, but I’ve heard this game’s kind of a joke in yo town.

Grizzly says:

This seems simultaniously to be the best thing since Swat 4, and on the other hand something that hits a bit too close to home. There is something about having only a phone to help someone with and not knowing what the outcome would be until much later that evokes a crippling sense of helplessness.

• Snowblindkitty says:

Welcome to being a 911 response person. I do this weekly and will be keeping a close eye on this game to see just how close to the real thing it is just so that maybe we can use it as a training tool in my area.

3. Saarlaender39 says:

link to youtube.com

(yes, it’s Public Enemy) ;p

4. TeePee says:

I’ll be keeping a close eye on this one, as this was pretty much exactly my job for 10 years with the Coastguard – answering 999 calls, mayday calls etc – we always used to laugh and joke saying that somewhere in the role was the core idea for a pretty decent game.

If it’s anywhere near accurate, it’ll be like the later levels of Papers, Please – you’re trying to juggle WAY too many balls, and you know you’re going to drop one soon, but you’re just hoping you can hold out long enough for things to calm back down aga… goddammit.

5. tanis8585 says:

I do this for a living on a daily basis…i damn sure don’t want to play dispatcher at home too lol. I cover 6 parishes and northern louisiana,Mississippi and arkansas with 3 helicopter and 19 ambulances with only me and a call taker in the room.