Dead Rising Being Remastered And Coming To PC

Dead Rising is coming to the PC for the first time, remastered alongside Dead Rising 2 and Dead Rising 2: Off The Record as part of the series’ ten year anniversary celebrations. All three will be released on September 13th and there’s a Steam page to prove it.

This might get complicated. Dead Rising 2 and Dead Rising 2: Off The Record are already available on PC, but this remaster should bring improved graphics targeting new generation consoles like the PS4, XBox One, as well as the PC. Dead Rising 2: Off The Record was also a kind of remake of Dead Rising 2, replacing the game’s protagonist Chuck Greene with the photographer protagonist form the first game, Frank West, as well as reintroducing all the first game’s camera mechanics.

Dead Rising 1 meanwhile has never been on PC before – and it’s exciting that it’s coming now. Where Dead Rising 2 (and eventually 3) embraced the kill-zombies-with-silly-objects action of the first game, they jettisoned or watered down much of what made it interest. The first Dead Rising was about exploring a shopping mall as a photojournalist, with missions based around taking photographs and only 72 hours to explore and experience the story before you had to evacuate. It was a kind of replayable, narrative-driven Pokémon Snap, with zombies you could satisfyingly bop with baseball bats and really terrible controls and boss fights.

The remake includes a new save system, support for higher resolutions, an unlocked frame rate, and customisable keyboard and mouse settings. If Capcom do as good a job with the port as they did with Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen, I’ll be happy.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. karnak says:

I was kinda sad that the first game was an XBox exclusive for so many years. I loved how it reminded me of Romero’s “Dawn of the Dead”, while trying to be an hommage to that cult film.

The other two sequels were just plain silly IMO.
    Glad to see the first game converted to the PC. I wish many old console exclusives would follow.

2. Earl-Grey says:

I really liked Dead Rising 1 when I played back in my younger XBOXing days. A bit frustrating in parts but it felt quite different from everything else, good-different, very-good-different even.
    The zombie horde was really impressive and the time mechanic added an exciting twist of urgency.
    Really looking forward to playing it again.
    Hope the system requirements are modest though, I get by on boring “grown up” computers these days.

• Darth Gangrel says:

The timer is the biggest “feature” that turned me off from ever buying any Dead Rising games. I’ve heard some people say that it’s no problem, that you really have to work to be short on time, but I don’t know about that.

I want to explore and do stuff in my own pace, which is usually much slower than everyone else’s. When someone says that a game takes X hours to complete a gamem, I double that amount to get a more accurate picture of how long it’ll take me to complete it, because I’m also a completionist.

• Qazi says:

Then do what you want.

Half the point of the game schedule is to groundhog day it anyway. Every time you die you get the option to restart from Day 1 with all your XP/PP and choose to take a new path. Missing a case file, boss fight or sidemission is not a failstate, unlife and exploration in Willamette goes on until the 72 hours is up and happens.

• Qazi says:

Have you played, and do you hate The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask?

• Darth Gangrel says:

I also don’t know how long the basic premise will be fun, so I’ll probably get them when they’re dirt cheap, like I usually do.

I haven’t played a Nintendo game since Super Mario Bros. 3 on NES. That game along with Willow and Bubble Bobble on the same system accounts for my entire console gaming experience. After that, I started playing on PC.

3. Monggerel says:

If you ever wondered where the zombie-movei cliché of “Man is the Real Monster™” came from, I dunno either, but this game makes a helluva case for it – you get XP from the photos you snap, and the game rewards you the most points for, um, “dramatic” photos, which mostly means people being eaten by zombies or otherwise murdered. Basically, you get rewarded for feeding survivors to the horde.

I like that.

• Earl-Grey says:

You… you monster!

Weren’t the XP rewards for saving survivors much greater than photographing their gruesome demise, though?

• TechnicalBen says:

Frankenstien?

• DuncUK says:

You also got XP for taking “erotic” down blouse / up skirt photos of female zombies and NPCs in Dead Rising 1. I kind of hope that gets cut from the redux, it would be nice to think AAA games have moved on.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Implying there’s anything wrong with perving on zombie vaginas.

• Monggerel says:

No we need more perversity

Videogames are sterile as fuck
        That’s not a joke
        Voyeurism (what someone else *might* call “objectification” because they forgot to reconstruct their loanwords, though I stress *might*) is not even perverse
        it’s just boring
        do actual things with sex
        People have the sex!
        you fools
        damn

4. malkav11 says:

A new save system? I know people complained about it but that was an important part of the design.

5. jj2112 says:

The game was great but I hated the final boss.

6. Sin Vega says:

They really must fix the godawful controls, the microscopic text, the infuriatingly terrible survivor AI, and above all, FUCKING OTIS STOP CALLING ME EVERY 30 BASTARD SECONDS HOW THE HELL DID THIS GET THROUGH PLAYTESTING AAARGGGGH

7. Carra says:

Now in glorious 1080p!

8. LetSam says:

Aaaaand it’s still not going to be available in Germany apparently. Have fun, guys.

9. Talahar says:

Once again German sensibilities can’t handle all this zombie stuff. Just like the Dead Islands and Dying Light, “This item is currently unavailable in your region.”

Comment on this story