No Man’s Sky Launch Trailer And Also Bill Bailey I Guess

I watched some livestreams of No Man’s Sky yesterday and it looked like all my worst fears, as players on a muddy brown planet shot rocks with lasers to collect fuel, flew a few hundred meters in their ship, ran out of fuel again, shot more rocks with lasers…

I hold out hope. I’m OK with periods of boredom and graft between moments of beauty and discovery. The launch trailer suggests there’s plenty of excitement to be had, too.

Rather than dwell on my concerns for the game I haven’t yet played, I’m going to think more about the things I’m looking forward to in No Man’s Sky. My trailer would have different subheadings, such as FLY SEAMLESSLY DOWN ON TO PLANETS, because though there’s been a rash of games to let me do this over the past two years it’s still one of the most exciting things to me. And POSITION YOURSELF JUST SO TO GET A NICE SHOT LOOKING UP AT A NEIGHBOURING PLANET OR PLANETS OR SUN OR SUNS, because though I am a shit photographer both in and out of games it’s one of the main ways I enjoy spending time within them. I also, from the trailers, quite like the idea of a bit of POKÉMON SNAP BUT THE POKÉMON ARE PROCEDURAL with the creatures.

I hope the game supports these activities. Of course, if the launch trailer didn’t do it for you then there’s always whatever this is:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Matt_Ceb says:

A complementary Bill Bailey WOULD get me to actually buy the game, to be honest.

• gunny1993 says:

I would settle for having Bill Bailey narrate the entire experience.

I demand bill bailey lets plays

Harlander says:

I think I could be persuaded to pay for a series of Bill Bailey Plays…

• Cederic says:

£20 from me for live footage of Bill’s first hour on Rocket League.

• grrrz says:

I’ll wait for this Bill Bailey DLC to pick it up then.

• LionsPhil says:

* Bill Bailey not included

• Someoldguy says:

This reminds me so much of when a friend used to drop by and play PowerMonger for days at a time. It was fun sharing the game for a couple of weekends but it lost it’s shine a bit when he became so obsessed he wanted to camp on my couch and just play non-stop while I went to work.

• pistolhamster says:

Creepy in so many ways!
        1) Having your friend camp your couch nonstop
        2) Seeing this comment in a thread for a game whos main person seems to share a little too much with Peter Molyneux in the hyping up things.
        3) PowerMonger was actually programmed by Peter Molyneux!

(And was a good game). Black & White reminded me so much of PowerMonger – and it was also one of those games being hyped to much more than it could deliver.

• DThor says:

Complimentary, more like. This ad plays like satire more than promotion, thanks to the delicious comic stylings of Mr. B.
      The more I see of this game, the more I think it was a great technical concept by a coder that thought it might be fun in a minecrafty sort of way, and suddenly the whole thing exploded around him. I completely blame all you lot that consider picking hairballs off of your cat to be an enjoyable way of spending a rainy Sunday.

Captain Narol says:

Yeah, another NMS thread on RPS while the game is still not out yet on PC !

Only 2 long days left to wait now, keep calm my explorer heart…

I think I’m gonna go play Out There a little until then and try to imagine how the planets I visit would look in NMS…

• WastedJoker says:

RPS seem to be rather negative about NMS as a whole.

• ButteringSundays says:

Recognising flaws isn’t ‘being negative’, it’s their job! And it absolutely does have flaws, you can see them after watching 10 minutes of play footage – but it also looks absolutely wonderful in many ways.

Things are rarely binary :)

• causticnl says:

I havent seen any neutral are vaguely positive about this game, it seems its on RPS’s shitlist. Be prepared to be burned hard.

3. Geebs says:

I’ve said it before, but I reckon the way I would get the most fun out of No Man’s Sky would be to play it in the character of Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged.

I can only dream that my path through the universe, from the correct vantage point, will spell out a very rude word.

• SBMongoose says:

• fearandloathing says:

4. PancakeWizard says:

It’s nice to see that Hello Games, having been treated like 22cans, turn out to be like Bullfrog. Maybe they’ve earned a little less pessimism for their next game, but nothing would surprise me from the baying crowds, at this point.

5. thelastpointer says:

Aurthur Geebs, right?

…I’ve done you before, haven’t I?

6. Freud says:

Checking out a guy streaming it. His game hard crashed twice when trying to enter a black hole.

I guess it’s true, that nothing can survive in a black hole. Not even a PS4 application.

• fish99 says:

Yeah MANvsGAME has had 3 crashes in about 8 hrs, not black hole related AFAIK though, just random freezes.

7. killingbutterflies says:

A jigazillion planets yet every stream I watched yesterday saw everyone on the same planet?

8. fearandloathing says:

yeyy everybody loves bill, how could this be happening? I’m from a godforsaken place, and even I love him. yeyy mighty bill

9. Monggerel says:

Finally, an answer to the age-old question, “No Man can kill me?”!

• Monggerel says:

in retropsect this comment has very little meaning

Grizzly says:

To be fair, so did Macbeth :p

• Monggerel says:

One could perhaps even venture that it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing?

• Llewyn says:

We’re still on Macbeth here, right?

It amused me that you responded in that way to that comment, of all those you’ve made. For you it was pretty sensible, though perhaps less entertaining than usual.

10. aircool says:

From what I can remember, every survival game I’ve played has you hungry, thirsty, knackered, too hot, too cold, lacking in inventory space, slow, no transport etc… etc…

oh, and punching trees.

Eventually, you get to the point where you have plenty of storage, plenty of resources to keep you going on long journeys etc… etc…

I presume NMS is following the same format where you’re hobbled for some time before things get easier as you work your way up the tech tree.

• Turkey says:

From what I’ve seen, it’s not as harsh with the survival stuff as other games in the genre. The only resources you have to worry about are fuel for your ship and having enough oxygen if you visit a toxic planet where you can’t breathe.

The main game is pretty much collecting and crafting shit like in other survival sims, tho.

11. Turkey says:

Even though I’ve kept my expectations lowered, my brain still went through a weird hype deflation that I didn’t even know I had when I finally saw people playing it.

I guess it was the realization that in the end it’s just a game-ass game.

12. sfoumatou says:

I’m baffled (and a little bit frustrated) by the outright pessimism being directed at this game.

I spent a good few hours playing it yesterday and… it was very, very good? The survival elements give you a diverse set of objective without feeling like a constant hindrance. The planets mostly feel very different, and every once in a while you come across a gem of a planet where some crazy combination of weather and geological formations will have you floored. The music is entrancing. Everything in the game is fairly easy to accomplish after you spend some time figuring out how things work. The NPCs, few and far between, add a lot of depth to the experience.

I can’t help but feel that everyone’s reactions are weirdly, unfairly displaced about the kind of game this is. This isn’t purely a survival game. If you’re looking for intricate mechanics or tight, exciting gameplay, you’re about to be sorely disappointed. No Man’s Sky is a game about exploring, about being lost alone in space, about the strange things that are gonna happen to you when you turn the next corner. It absolutely excels at providing all of this.

So… it’s confusing (and frankly a bit disheartening) to see the entire Internet approach it like radioactive waste, as if it was doomed before it’s even released. Makes you understand why so many people get frustrated with the developer job and quit. Blegh.

• ButteringSundays says:

You’ve written a small needlessly defensive essay because somebody that reviews and writes about games for a living alluded to a mechanic that many will find an unnecessary and boring chore.

It’s not pessimism. There’s nothing to be baffled by, you don’t need to be disheartened, and unless you directly benefit from further sales of the game there’s certainly nothing to be frustrated about. The hype-express has landed on planet earth and you’re going to have to accept that NMS is just a game (in many ways a good one!) and that some people might say unflattering things about it. But don’t worry, we can get through this together.

• jonahcutter says:

She doesn’t seem defensive. Merely giving her opinion on the game and her reaction seems to be to the hyper-inflated extremes of experience-less response so many, including this site, have been indulging in.

• sfoumatou says:

I don’t even know how to respond to this. I’m expressing frustration at the generalized pessimism I see surrounding this game, not at one thing one reviewer said. Besides, I’m not floating on hype; basically the first I’ve ever seen of the game was when I played it yesterday. My point is that the hype surrounding the game, and the expectations that were built regarding it, were not suited to what the actual product is, and that it unfortunately suffers from that.

But, you know, I guess it’s easier to put words into my mouth and treat me like an angry toddler than it is to engage in normal conversation.

• PancakeWizard says:

Don’t worry some of us understood what you were saying without, ironically, being defensive about said pessimism (and I agree).

• thelastpointer says:

Yeah, we’re with you. Especially since you’ve actually played the game, unlike the vast majority here.

• causticnl says:

ooh hey look somebody does not share our pessimistic view, lets burn him! or make a bridge out of him.

• Freud says:

To me it just seems like repetition of very simple tasks and then you fly to another place and do it again. Once in a while there are icons you fly towards that take you a bit further in the story.

Add that the UI is terrible with you having to go into the inventory and click on things to reload and refresh shields and it seems very unimpressive as a game.

But you are correct in that the planets and animals show some variety that’s impressive at first. It looks great. I just don’t think it seems to play all that great.

• sfoumatou says:

To be fair, I have to agree about the UI/control issues. Besides what you said, the game is a bit unfriendly to console players due to some of the text being extremely small; I had to move the couch much closer to the TV in order to play normally. (While small text isn’t as big of an issue on a PC game, the lack of UI size options becomes an accessibility issue for players with impaired vision…)

Regarding what you do in the game though, I’m on the fence, in that I understand why people would say that the game is repetitive and bare, but then again those elements aren’t the point of the game. It reminds me a bit of games like Gone Home that spawn a lot of confusion due to their lack of gameplay elements, while that wasn’t really the goal in the first place.

The limited inventory forces you to focus on the bare minimum you need to move on, and the objectives all serve to nudge you towards exploration, which is what the game is all about. Basically, the nice-looking planets and the varied environments aren’t window dressing on top of a simplistic crafting game; it’s the other way around. The survival gameplay elements are there to surround and accompany the concept of space exploration.

13. int says:

Oh dear, he’s showing signs of Dave’s syndrome!

14. mollemannen says:

Now if i don’t get my own bill with my purchase i’m going to be severely disappointed.

15. Lorax-V says:

After watching almost a full day of gameplay streaming from ACG’s channel after the Day 1 patch, I’m afraid of the same thing.

The novelty of exploration starts to take a backseat to ludicrous inventory management and constant harangue of reminders of extreme temperatures and radioactivity.

I’m sure these will be tweaked by the developers after player feedback in a future patch and this will help balance out the gameplay a bit more.

I’ll probably get this once it comes down in price as it has elements I like that would justify a lower price point. I just don’t see much separating this from Minecraft or other terrain forming games at this point and once you get past the whole “billions of planets to explore” thing, you may find that although there is a ton of stuff to explore, there isn’t a lot to do on those planets.

I do think the procedural generation used by Hello Games though is really really amazing and as games move forward, this game could be potentially viewed as a stepping stone to what more can be done. I also think that VR could be the place where a game like this would really shine.