Quantum Break Leaps To Steam At Last

Quantum Break [official site], the latest from Max Payne folk Remedy, was a Windows 10 store exclusive on PC, and thus cruelly sent to die a miserable death. However, it has just been exhumed from its Microsoftian grave, and will receive a Steam release next month. Can the heavily-mo-capped, time-twisting story-shooter possibly live a second life at this stage?

Quantum Break wasn’t terribly well-received upon its Xbox and Windows Store release in April, despite being super-glossy and rife with semi-famous faces. From what I’ve read, it was trying to do far too many different things at once and not quite mastering any of ’em – including trying to be a TV series. Making matters worse was that the PC version was in rough technical shape and hamstrung by the controversial Universal Windows Platform, in addition to any woes caused by the Windows store. Our Adam gave up on getting the thing to run in the end, hence no review.

A Steam release means a dramatically bigger audience, but it does not appear there will be any new features or tweaks, beyond including all the patches to date. Main features for those are listed here – significant stuff like lowering the minimum spec, supporting more resolutions and aspect ratios, refresh rate and vysnc issues, savegame malfunctions and ‘general performance improvements.’

14th September is the date for the Steam release. Additionally, Nordic games have stepped in to provide a physical ‘Timeless Edition’ release, which includes a making of documentary, soundtrack, a book and some posters. Which is… brave.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

UncleBAZINGA says:

Count me in! I’m a huge Remedy fan ever since Max Payne 1 and I want to play this so badly, but Win10 Store + UWP was a no-go. Now I can even get it physically on PC and play it via Steam Link on the Big Screen. On a sidenote: The Steam release now also runs on DX11 and thus Win7+ is supported.

2. jusplathemus says:

I’m curious, where does this strike the balance between movies/games? Is it more action-oriented like Alan Wake or more movie-like such as Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain? I’ve yet to play Heavy Rain, but I enjoyed the other two quite a lot apart from their awfully slapdashed endings.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

It’s almost exactly like Alan Wake. Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit were made by Quantic Dream, not Remedy.

• jusplathemus says:

I know the devs were different, I was just thinking that this whole “trying to be a TV series” aspect may have brought it closer to Quantic’s games. Thanks for the response.

• JPRacer77Qc says:

It’s more like Alan Wake but even more action oriented. I would say it’s more like Max Payne. And the cover system they used is fantastic. Just walk near a wall or other cover and the character smoothly goes into cover, not button to press. So the action can be really fast since you can go from cover to cover easily. The pace is much faster than Alan Wake.

• jusplathemus says:

That actually sounds good, thanks for the answer. I’ll make sure to pick this up, though I may wait for a sale.

• suibhne says:

I’ve never met an auto-cover system like that that wasn’t excessively, irritatingly sticky. I’ll be interested to experience this implementation.

Dorga says:

yeah, now I can finally play it. Probs gonna buy the physical version.

• tuoret says:

Have they said anything about the physical version’s possible online activation though? Do you get a code for Steam, Windows Store or neither?

• JPRacer77Qc says:

The retail version of the Quantum Break: Timeless Collector’s Edition will cost EUR/USD 39.99 and includes:

Premium packaging
        5 Game Discs (one-time Steam key redemption required)
        Making of Blu-Ray
        Making of Book
        1 Soundtrack CD (Audio-CD)
        2 Posters
        Quickstart Guide

Read more at link to news.xbox.com

4. Barchester says:

I read “Quantum Leap” and now I’m sad.

5. Sakkura says:

This makes sense. First a while as a Windows Store exclusive, to (attempt to) drive adoption, then going Steam to actually sell some copies and make some money.

Leaked stats for Rise of the Tomb Raider, another flagship Windows Store title, show 98% of copies were sold on Steam. Obviously the Windows Store is not a place you can make money selling games, at least for the time being.

6. klownk says:

This game is just shit.

7. Cinek says:

I bought it off Windows Store and it’s a nice, relaxing game. It does feel like a standard console FPS port, but actors are good, plot is interesting, and VFX is some of the best I’ve seen recently (shame that 3D models and textures are not up to the same standard, but still…). I can’t recommend it for people who are short on cash, but if someone feels like throwing some money on entertainment – it’s definitely worth considering.

Addie says:

In fact, not only is ‘general performance improvements’ on the list twice, there’s also some ‘additional performance improvements’. Moving away from UWP looks like a pretty serious improvement in efficiency. And you can turn off v-sync, but only if your copy of Win10 is sufficiently up-to-date. Which is fair enough, that’s a pretty advanced feature.

9. RegisteredUser says:

It would appear PC users will be forced to stream the 26 minute long live episodes in between levels, unlike xbox users that can also have the files locally.

I guess they invented magic that eats any amount of infinite disk space:

“Narrative designer Greg Louden told Game Informer that all four of these episodes, which play after each act of the upcoming Xbox One and PC game, will be streamed remotely. This is because the rest of the game uses “all the disc space,” he explained”

10. Avus says:

It is not about this game should be a Win10 exclusive or not…. It is not a good game period. It doesn’t matter how many platform MS is willing to sell on… This game just cannot compare/compete PS4 exclusive like Last of Us and Uncharted.

AngryJoe review said it all..

• KenTWOu says:

First of all, we’re talking about PC games here. Second, Uncharted 4 sets the bar so high in terms of variety and level of polish, so you should stop playing games, if you like to compare everything with Uncharted.

• Avus says:

I know we are talking about the PC/Steam version, but doesn’t it make the game less suck? The gameplay is suck, the story is suck… It is a mediocre at best. Of course you are welcome to waste $$ on stuff like that.

• Avus says:

This game is a Microsoft directly (HEAVILY) funded project. So you don’t think it should be as good as Uncharted 4? No wonder Xbox One is losing so much to PS4… Instead of making a better game, Remedy/MS wasted on TV stars, making stupidly long cut scene…

• KenTWOu says:

Microsoft money won’t magically make Remedy a better, more skilful developer than Naughty Dog, that’s not how funding works. That said, Remedy certainly improved their toolset (e.g. this time characters look better than the last time when they did Alan Wake).

And I repeat myself, this is a PC blog, who cares about PS4 exclusives? Quantum Break, although it’s not a great game, is not that bad if you compare it with, let’s say, recent Tomb Raiders or Max Payne 3.

And we’re talking about game development, where devs still invent ways they tell stories. This is not a movie industry, where almost everything is invented with over one hundred years of experience behind them, so you just stop fooling around and tell your own story using preferred tools/genres. Devs still don’t know how to make a better game, a great game, how to tell a great story and especially how to make a great mix of a game and a TV show.

No wonder Naughty Dog were far from sure that the Last of Us would be a critical and commercial hit while it was in development.
          link to youtu.be

• Sulpher says:

Angry Joe is a meathead. His reviews have the subtlety of a chainsaw.

• Buggery says:

I don’t know who Angry Joe is and I don’t really care about his review. I played it through once and it was a lot of fun. There’s not a whole lot of point comparing it to Naughty Dog’s games because the combat is very, very different feeling.

11. Xiyng says:

Excellent. Now I’ll be able to get it then. I’m not particularly interested in it, but I like what Remedy does, and I bet I’m going to like this too.

12. yogibbear says:

FUCKKKK YEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PREORDERING AS SOON AS I CAN ON STEAM. THANKYOU REMEDY. FU MICROSOFT.

• Eclipse says:

you know this was actually a Microsoft decision right?

• subedii says:

By MS’s “decision”, I would take to mean that it was their decision to make it a timed exclusive to the W10 store.

Because otherwise the question MS asked Remedy would’ve been “Hey guys, we’ll fund this but it has to permanently exist on W10 and on our exclusive store, guaranteeing you a sales position to rival Halo 2* in infamy”.

To which the answer would’ve been either “Yes please but give us huge sacks of monies to make up for sales we WON’T have by basically cutting out a full 1/3 of our marketbase”, or “Hahahaha no.”

I mean this is a literal repeat of Alan Wake. Remedy couldn’t even talk about, let alone release a PC port of the game until the paid for exclusivity contract ended. I have a hard time imagining it’s different here.

*Halo 2 PC incidentally, is what happened when MS had exclusive control. Not only has it disappeared without trace (taking the rest of the franchise with it), they ‘care’ so much that I don’t think it’s actually purchasable anywhere, including their own UWP store.

• Sleepery says:

I pictured him bursting into the room screaming that, before ripping his shirt off and running off into the sunset, leaving only an embarrassed silence behind.

13. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Very excited for this; I’ve loved all of Remedy’s past work. They may not be the most innovative studio, but for my money nobody does ye olde third-person shooter with more style.

14. SingularityParadigm says:

A game whose plot is based around some of the most cringe-inducing bullshit pseudo-scientific SF tropes in existence? Nope, not interested. This is terribad, right up there with the movie “Lucy”…and I am saying that while also being a sincere transhumanist who hopes for the technological singularity to occur within my lifetime. I really wish media would stop abusing quantum physics by using it as future-themed “magic”.

• Buggery says:

While we’re at it, did you know that Star Wars didn’t actually happen long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away??? This is bullshit!

• SingularityParadigm says:

*rolls eyes* I am not suggesting tearing down the entire edifice of SF storytelling. I think it makes for bad SF narratives when the writing hangs on tropes that very specifically misappropriate science to give what are fundamentally fantasy tropes a veneer of “sciency-ness”. It is lazy storytelling that belies a general lack of creativity. If the story goes out of its way to explore the idea of a universe that adheres to different physical laws than our own, that generally *does* make for good SF storytelling. Hand-wavey bullshit on the other hand does not.

• Buggery says:

Brother, you are weirdly obsessed with something that literally doesn’t matter at all to the game. It says time travel is possible and that’s literally the only explanation – they don’t mention quantum physics at all.

How do you feel about Back to the Future? How about Jurassic Park? You might as well say all works of fiction are bad because they rely on coincidence that doesn’t happen in real life.

Also: Describing yourself as transhumanist is really odd. It doesn’t affect anything to do with your argument and it makes you sound like you don’t live in the real world.

• SingularityParadigm says:

Since when does replying to a comment thread qualify as “obsessed”? You replied to me, then I replied to you. That is called a conversation last time I checked.

I take it you are not familiar with either Transhumanism, or the concept of the technological Singularity? Google is your friend. My original statement was providing relevant context for my opinion of the 2014 film “Lucy” (it is trash), to which I was comparing the relative quality of the premises of the game Quantum Break.

I also just despise the mechanics of third-person/over-the-shoulder shooters. So there is that. First-person POV or GTFO.

Regarding making me sound like I don’t live in the real world:
            The next several decades are going to see astounding developments in biotechnology, genetic engineering, electrical power generation, nanotechnology, and robotics, to name but a few sectors. If by the year 2030 elective cybernetic upgrades for these meatsacks we inhabit are not available, I will be very suprised. By the year 2050, I fully expect that anyone with access to sufficient financial resources will be able to add multiple healthy decades to their lifespan, and it will be commonplace for humans to live past the age of 115. We already have self-driving cars, the VR revolution has truly just begun, SpaceX is actively testing their launch system to send humanity to Mars… the future is very bright (assuming that humanity manages to avoid a variety of irrevocable global catastrophes).

Comment on this story