Deus Specs: Mankind Divided Sys Reqs & Pre-loads

You’re damn right I’m primarily writing this post in order to make that title gag. But hell, I was genuinely surprised to hear that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [official site] is only two weeks away. Time was a Deus Ex sequel was a seismic event, but now it’s just one more tempting glint amid a vast sea of intriguing releases. It’s been a bloody busy year for games, and I am genuinely anxious as to how I might fit in 40-odd hours of Never Asking For This. I am, at least, less anxious that my PC will be able to run it – I shall indeed see those lovely ceilings. That said, the recommended specs are pretty severe. All the relevant requirements are below, if you like. Also, preloads begin next week.

I know a specs post is a funny place for this, but this is my first post about Mankind Divided in aaaaages and this issue has been weighing on my mind. Though a huge fan of the series, I don’t feel as anticipatory of Mankind Divided as I would have done, due to discomfort about the game – or at least its marketing – repeatedly co-opting sensitive real-world socio-political messaging to prop up its fantasical story. First we had ‘mechanical apartheid’ and then last week we had ‘aug lives matter.’

The devs have stood by their right to use these things as an attempt to add more meaning to their near-future humans vs cyborgs setting, and additionally made the frankly dubious claim that they thought up the latter phrase before ‘black lives matter’ came about – though even if true, they knowingly continued to use it after the latter slogan proved so very impactful. I’m sure there were nuanced backstage discussions among the creators about whether and how to deploy this language, but personally I find it ugly and unnecessary, and feel that it tarnishes an exciting game. I am prepared to be proved wrong if these things prove effective and sympathetic in context, however.

Anyway, let’s talk about PC hardware ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deus Ex Mankind Divided Minimum Specs

OS: Windows 7.1SP1 or above (64-bit Operating System Required)
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 or AMD equivalent
RAM: 8 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB) or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (2GB)
HDD/SSD: 45 GB

Deus Ex Mankind Divided Recommended Specs

OS: Windows 10 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K or AMD FX 8350 Wraith
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 480 – 1920 x 1080 or NVIDIA GTX 970 – 1920 x 1080
HDD/SSD: 55GB (Including DLC)

Min specs are nothing to get too worried about, although I suppose a few folk with lower-end GPUs might struggle, and it looks like Intel integrated graphics are out the window for this one. Recommended specs are on the steep side, though. Both CPU and GPU fall somewhere between mid-range and high-end, while 16GB is not a given for quite a few of us. I’ve ‘only’ got 12GB, so maybe I should consider upgrading, but it’s just seemed so unnecessary until now. I’m sure I’ll cope by closing down a few browser tabs, mind you.

The appearance of Windows 10 in Recommended, by the way, is because DXMD will offer DirectX 12 support to those who have Microsoft’s e’er-controversial latest OS.

As for pre-loads, they go live on Steam on Friday, August 19th at 09:00 PDT / 12:00 EDT / 17:00 BST / 18:00 CEST. Which obviously is irrelevant information to all of you, because you don’t pre-order before reviews, do you? The game itself is released on 23 August.

From this site

1. dangermouse76 says:

GTX 660, I’m slowly turning into- da da daaaah – minimum man !

2. Yachmenev says:

Going to wait with a purchase until they have fully disclosed what server depencies and additional DRM (like Denuvo), if any, they have in this game.

I hope RPS will discuss such things in the review.

• DarkLiberator says:

It’ll probably have Denuvo. Every single big game is starting to add it.

• montorsi says:

Denuvo isn’t DRM. It prevents tampering with the actual DRM.

• Emeraude says:

Same difference. Just have to add another complaint to Valve on top of it.

• Yachmenev says:

It’s a server depedent component that have authority over the access to your purchased game, based on your hardware configuration, with a limited number of activations in a timespan (although very high).

For me, it’s the equivalent of DRM, no matter how they want to phrase. That it needs to work in tandem with an established DRM system does very little to soften it’s impact.

• quantumbells says:

It’s just file encryption so pirates can’t alter the drm files to redirect authentication requests made to servers. It doesn’t run during the game.
          I’m personally happy the pc game industry find a way to earn back their investments without making activation more complicated for the end user.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

well squeenix have been using it in Just Cause 3 and Rise of the Bloom Raider, so it wouldnt surprise me to see it in this. What exactly is it going to change having Denuvo in your game? As anti piracy measures go, I’ve noticed no meaningful issues with having it coded into the games i’ve pirated then bought.

• Mokinokaro says:

I’m assuming more fallout from Lords of the Fallen where people blamed Denuvo for the game’s severe performance issues, completely ignoring that the game was a terrible unpolished mess code wise so the DRM wasn’t likely to blame.

3. hjarg says:

I found “Aug lives matter” creative use of widespread slogan. But then again, i’m usually too lazy to be anything but mildly amused by stuff like that.

• laiwm says:

I think it would be more OK if they were referencing something historical, but using a slogan that’s still part of an ongoing fight in the context of a game doesn’t feel right to me. I think part of it is that there already #alllivesmatter, #bluelivesmatter etc actively trying to co-opt it so people are a bit wary of usages like these that could be seen to cheapen it.

• TheGameSquid says:

However, for people who are pationate about the movement, does it not sound realistic that in the world of Deus Ex (aka The Future) the movement would in fact be considered historical? And Apartheid is a phenomenon that’s more than old enough to be considered historical as well one would think. I don’t know, I honestly don’t understand why people got so upset about the entire thing, and I’m generally a pretty sensitive guy. I think the criticism definitely clashes with some of the more recent claims from people that demand that games ought to be more culturally relevant etc.

• laiwm says:

It’s a problem of context. For fans who know the lore of Deus Ex and have been following the press for the new one, the link is understandable. To everybody outside that small circle it looks like a game company taking advantage of a protest movement to sell a game. Even with the knowledge of how it ties in, it still doesn’t sit right with me – it’s piggybacking on the work of a movement that’s trying to stop ongoing violence in order to promote an FPS.

Part of games becoming culturally relevant is that devs & marketing people should have a good awareness of the wider culture outside the games world if they’re going to try to engage with it.

• Mokinokaro says:

They’re claiming it’s a coincidence, though if it is I’m skeptical to why they didn’t change it.
        link to polygon.com

• laiwm says:

It’s a strange excuse. It being a coincidence would imply they were completely unaware of BLM before they put the ad out, which isn’t a good look if you’re pitching your game as being about apartheid.

• Turkey says:

Didn’t they recently use “Mechanical Apartheid” in their marketing? I don’t buy it.

• RQH says:

To me, it feels like a very lazy kind of sci-fi writing, to just substitute different nouns for historical movements and problems, instead of imagining how our world (or a world much like it) becomes the world of Deus Ex.

The first Deus Ex tried to imagine how cybernetics and information technology could transform the security state, and it did this before September 11, 2001, which has the effect of making it feel prescient. Mankind Divided’s use of “Augs Lives Matter,” on the other hand, requires very little imagination to arrive at, and forever locks a game about the year 2029 into the politics of 2016.

The other issue I personally have with it is that it unwittingly reveals how little the Deus Ex games care to deal with race, and that in turn undermines both their ability to comment on our society (in which race is very much an issue) and their ability to position themselves as visions or warnings of our own future.

Mankind Divided is set a mere 13 years in our own future, and at best, what “Augs Lives Matter” suggests is that in that future, the racial and class divisions that have plagued humanity for hundreds and thousands of years will disappear, supplanted by a single division between the augmented and non-augmented. And in that struggle, the augmented will be the persecuted minority (even though in any future that derives from our own present, it will be the wealthy and privileged who can most readily avail themselves of the benefits of augmentation.)

It flips the script in a fashion that, handled well, could be insightful, but more likely is just trading in the same cheap metaphors about racism that plague sci-fi and fantasy games and literature, inviting players to indulge in the fantasy that they are on the right side of a pressing issue of moral inequality–indeed that they are part of the persecuted minority–while otherwise ignoring the genuine civil rights struggles of their own time.

• Coming Second says:

Spot on.

• lglethal says:

To quote Sir Terry Pratchett – ““Racism was not a problem on the Discworld, because – what with trolls and dwarfs and so on – speciesism was more interesting. Black and white lived in perfect harmony and ganged up on green.””

When there is a new and more interesting thing to be racist about, people have a tendency to jump on that. It wasn’t so long ago, that the Irish, Scots or Dutch were the number one victims of racism in England. And then the world got bigger and it was the Asians, Indians and Black people who suffered.

Jump forward in time to augmented people and I can see the bandwagon jumping there. Especially with the way DX:HR ended and the plague of violence that broke out from augs.

Anyway, just wait until we discover aliens – human racism will disappear at that point, I guarantee it!

• General Advice Bot says:

To be honest, I felt the same way about Human Revolution. I was annoyed how the writers didn’t seem to have a clear grasp about the themes they were referencing and as result flip-flopped instead offering a statement about something. The trailers promised a drama about identity and bodily integrity (“I didn’t ask for this” etc.), but the game omitted these question. There was never any conflict for Jensen as he was turned into an awesome murder-machine, no caveats, no repercussions and no meaningful connection between story and mechanics. The writers touched upon other things like corporate control and exploitative capitalism but likewise never followed through. (YMMV, and I should mention I still liked the game anyway.)

• ResonanceCascade says:

As much as I loved Human Revolution, I thought the focus on augmentation as a substitute for both class and race was a lot less interesting than the surveillance state, income inequality, and all the other ridiculously on-point themes the original game hit.

And I struggled to buy into Adam’s personal demons, too. Oh, boo hoo, “I never asked for this.” Yeah, it must suck making a full recovery from your injuries and becoming a walking Nietzschean overman cyborg who can crush rocks in the palm of his hand, jump from any height, and turn invisible.

It’s a huge shame that they seem to be doubling down on that for Mankind Divided instead of branching out on more timely ideas.

Also, the “Aug Lives Matter” thing was so cringey. Even if they somehow earn that comparison in the game, that is just terrible, on-the-nose writing.

iris79 says:

Fantastic comment

4. Fersken says:

I will get this eventually, when the game is finished. Season passes and DLCs just gives me an incentive to wait. It’ll be cheaper then too…

There has also been too many times I’ve been burned by games with too many bugs at launch.

5. Danny says:

You know you’re living in 2016 when a positive message gets smeared upon by accusations of appropriation, instead of seeing it as something positive and totally in line with the theme of this series.

• Coming Second says:

It’s a fine line, and I have to agree with Alec. Studying and making use of historical prejudice to underpin your story in a realistic, thought-provoking manner is a worthwhile goal. Baldly co-opting a message of the day in order to sell your video game that you will surely not be providing any of the profits of to the cause in question? Hmm.

• Danny says:

My post wasn’t really directed at Alect as much as to a lot of the Twitter backlash.

Also, you’re chosing to aim for the most negative interpretation of the developers’ intentions. Where you are linking this to cheap marketing and/or cold dollars, it might as well be that they are picking up on a legitimate current message and apply it to their game as it fits directly into their lore.

• Xocrates says:

Which isn’t the same thing as it being a good idea, particularly as it can be seen as cheapening the original message by mixing an actual problem with a made up one.

If nothing else, it feels selfish from the developers to appropriate that message to further their own lore, while ignoring the actual problem it refers to.

• moonpresence says:

“it can be seen as cheapening the original message by mixing an actual problem with a made up one.”

The original message is already cheap. First off, it doesn’t take much research to realize BLM is pretty much just a black version of the KKK (they both want segregation, they want racial hatred and division, to stoke up resentment and distrust between races). They have different stated philosophies but the world that David Duke wants to create is not so different from what BLM wants. If there is a police abuse problem, it applies to whites just as much as blacks (whites are killed more than blacks by cops in the US.) Blacks make up only 12% of the population, yet they commit roughly 50% of the murders in the US. This would obviously lead to more potentially dangerous encounters with police, why wouldn’t it? Yes, of course there are cops who kill unjustifiably, of course there are cops who aren’t fit for the job and are shaken too easily, but it is ridiculous to assume that A. It is a common occurrence, and B. that it only happens to black people. BLM is nothing more than a radical, racist gang. The best thing is is that if you say anything bad about them, YOU’RE the one who is almost automatically labeled “racist” because “you don’t think black lives matter”. See how much of a loaded phrase “Black Lives Matter” turns out to be if someone tries to criticize what them? Also, let me just address what anyone reading this can’t wait to bring up: my own race (since that’s usually all the argument would devolve into) no, I’m not white.

Why are people upset about the political references in this game? I say thank the fucking lord there’s a game developer willing to stick to its guns and not conform to the language/thought policing running rampant these days.

• ResonanceCascade says:

@moonpresence

Any political movement is going to have some fringe crazies involved in it, but they do not define BLM.

BLM wants equal treatment from the law and the “justice” system, and we demonstratively do not have that in America right now (I’d assume it’s similar for folks in the U.K., though I’d hope not as bad).

I’m not inherently against working that movement into a game, but the way Mankind Divided did it was pretty weaksauce.

• Hanban says:

“The original message is already cheap. First off, it doesn’t take much research to realize BLM is pretty much just a black version of the KKK (they both want segregation, they want racial hatred and division, to stoke up resentment and distrust between races).”

Of all the things I’ve read on RPS, this may be the weirdest conclusion ever. The lack of historical context is strong in this one.

• GWOP says:

@moonpresence

Institutionalized racial profiling is a real thingin the US, regardless of how you spin the narrative.

• Coming Second says:

Fwiw I think the DE guys mean well, but Square Enix’s PR department wants a serious word with itself. The advertising campaign for this game has been in every way disastrous. It’s not just Meer who seems taken by surprise this game is coming out in two weeks time.

• General Advice Bot says:

Remember when this game was supposed to come out a few days early in February, given enough preorders?
            (General advice: Never preorder.)

6. Darth Gangrel says:

“I am genuinely anxious as to how I might fit in 40-odd hours of Never Asking For This” Just 40 hours? My two playthroughs (ghosting and massacring) each took me 70 hours. I’d have thought ghosting it would take more time, but in the second playthrough I was committed to kill EVERYONE, instead of just sneaking past them.

After the fans of my laptop failed, I got a new PC to be able to run The Witcher 3 and I figured that no game would be more demanding this soon. I’m glad I was not proven wrong.

7. RaunakS says:

Hmm it’s starting to feel like my HD 6850/core i3 is not quite the best for gaming. But then again, I’m playing on a CRT monitor at a resolution of 1168 x 657. Might work well.

(My other option is a laptop with GT 740m/core i7, which somehow runs even worse)

• ROMhack2 says:

I have the same grapho card and I’m not hopeful either.

I tried playing the free weekend of the new Rainbow Six the other week and it wasn’t having any of it.

8. grrrz says:

wow with years fidling with isaac and indie games I totally forgot about this minimum requirement thing. looks like I’m way below the minimum (had to boot up my pc to look this because I had no idea. HD 5700 is way below HD 7000something, so that’s it.)
    but it will kinda work anyway right? right?

• TormDK says:

If you like playing in PowerPoint mode, it likely will.

yhancik says:

Ahah, I almost have the same issue, although the awareness of slipping below minimum requirements came little by little. I remember some option in a game recording application that was only available to the HD7000 series. Then that Mad Max game. The demo of the System Shock remake. No Man’s Sky. Deus Ex:MD. Ah well. I guess I’ll keep playing my Steam backlog and start saving for a new card.

• fabronaut says:

The great thing about being in the market for a card right now is that the pricing is excellent. AMD has really pulled one out of a hat with the release of the RX 470 and RX 480 cards, forcing Nvidia to drop its price (and bump up its launch perhaps?) for their card that occupies a similar price bracket.

Best bang for the buck might be somewhere between RX 470 4GB or RX 480 4 GB. They’re basically the same card, but the RX 480 has a few more compute cores and better memory. RX 470 seems to be a 480 that didn’t quite pass certification, more or less.

Here the card runs for ~$265 Canadian + tax for the Sapphire RX 470 Nitro+, and ~$325 Canadian for the RX 480 Nitro+. The 1060 cards are around 10% faster but cost anywhere from $375 on sale, but usually more towards the $400 and up price point. Frankly, the performance gain doesn’t really seem worth shelling out 50% money for 10% performance, particularly when I’m eyeing FreeSync monitors for a sane / affordable monitor upgrade in the future.

Not sure how that one EVGA 1060 SuperClock card got down to the tempting price point of $370 for a brief moment, as it’s apparently a lot better than their base model, while being very small to boot. I’m trying to hold out for the next batch of AMD cards — codename Vega? — rumored to release around the end of the year or early 2017. Hoping to find a 1070-ish caliber of card that slots in nicely at ~20-25% cheaper than the 1070. (1070 goes for $550 on the barrel scraping low end here, averaging $600+ for most, so double the price point of some of the RX 480 cards, for reference.)

• grrrz says:

265$ is a lot of money to shell for playing 1 or 2 3D games a year, I read the saphirre rx 460 is a pretty good balance, and it’s about 140$ (beside I have a 1680×1050 screen so that will probably be overkill even)

• Solidstate89 says:

Wow, you’re still on a 57xx series card from ATi? Yeah, you’re boned. Any even remotely modern game with even remotely decent graphics is going to be quite an issue for you.

• grrrz says:

I don’t know, the last graphic intensive game I played was The Witness, it ran ok, and SOMA before that. Even “the new order” which seem to have harsher requirements. didn’t notice performance problems, a few lags here and there.
        This gaming pc is only a few years old, time flies.
        I’ll wait to see if the game is good, and has a chance to run on my machine, but apparently I’m ultimately doomed to buy new hardware (and I kinda want to play this and dishonored 2 later). Here I thought the pc race was kinda over, with CPUs not gaining any power at all over the years.

Harlander says:

Between this and No Man’s Sky, I might actually have to upgrade my graphics card…

10. ROMhack2 says:

I’m both simultaneously excited and not excited for this. I don’t really know how to explain it.

I think it’s because while I enjoyed Human Revolution for its story and ideas, I ultimately thought the gameplay was dull dull dull.

Nothing majorly wrong with it of course but I’m hoping this one is a bit less – what’s the word? – derivative.

• Emeraude says:

Same. I think the problem for me is that HR did a decent first impression, but didn’t stand to proper critique in the long run.

11. Raoul Duke says:

Wow, that last marketing things is utterly tacky, and confirms my view that the people making these unfaithful sequels think they are exploring way more interesting issues than they actually are. Ironically the original game, while superficially less sophisticated, explored much more interesting themes.

• Emeraude says:

I can’t remember who it is that mentioned to me Roland Barthes’ “Ecrivains, écrivants” (official translation I could find was transitive and intransitive writers) but I found it was spot on.

DX was interested in being a game first and foremost. Anything interesting that came from the story came almost involuntarily, as a byproduct of its main process of making the game happens.

HR is trying to tell a story, and it thinks it has something interesting to say. It has a didactic quality to it that ironically makes it far less interesting.

• laiwm says:

A bit like Bioshock then – iirc, all the Atlas Shrugged references were written in fairly late in the process after they’d got the core mechanics in place. I feel like something similar happened with DX1, that the little literary allusions just came to the writers as they were working on it rather than being the aim. HR’s narrative definitely feels more cohesive but I agree, less interesting.

12. lglethal says:

What can I say? I pre-ordered. So far I’ve enjoyed all of the Squeenix reboots I’ve played (DX:HR, Thief, Tomb Raider), so I’m happy to trust them with this follow up. Especially when I found it for significantly cheaper on instant gaming.

Still I cant help thinking of the name DX:MD as Deus Ex Doctor…

13. Solidstate89 says:

Holy shit, that’s almost as big of an install as GTA V.

14. woodsey says:

I think I’d be more dubious about the marketing stuff if the developers didn’t spend pretty equal amounts of time discussing themes/gameplay/art in the build up to HR and now Mankind Divided.

Whether or not you found Human Revolution interesting from a thematic or narrative standpoint, I think you’d have a hard time (a pretty impossible time, really) suggesting that those ideas were incidental to the game at large.

I’d say people’s criticisms stem more from the general perception of what videogame marketing is, or should be, rather than what these specific developers making these specific games are doing – which is promoting what their game is about.

15. Chaoslord AJ says:

I properly enjoyed the tale of Mr. “never-ask-for-this” but I’m less keen on another 50 hours when the tale is already told or so it seems.
    Girlfriend plot -check.
    Total killer machine conversion -check.
    Orphan and heritage plot cleared -check

Rather would like a Fedorova-like assassin on the side of the illuminati with option to change allegiance in the plot or something with Pritchard or Malik as the lead.
    I guess I’ll still be playing on release day with ol’ Adam.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Edit:
      even more as by the ending Human Revolution seemed like the prequel to Deus EX 1 to close the circle.

16. Zenicetus says:

I’m very interested in this, but I’ll wait for a review that tells me what kind of boss fights are in it.

Not just because it was the worst part of the last one, but because I think my tolerance is just about gone for heavily scripted fights that are basically “you now have to do something totally different than your usual bag of tricks to beat this guy.”

I came very close to throwing my monitor against the wall with the final boss fight in Rise of the Tomb Raider. I don’t think I can handle another game like that.

• Coming Second says:

I am rather hoping they will be like the boss fight in the dlc of HR, which allowed for a stealth approach.

At the very worst they will be like the reworked boss fights in Director’s Cut, i.e. still bullet sponges but with some other element hidden in the arena which allows for a non-combat approach. SE know they mucked up with the original boss fights, they’ve often commented on it.

• ResonanceCascade says:

That Missing Link boss battle was excellent. The boss himself was no more powerful than any other character, the challenge came from actually getting to him. The level itself was the boss.

17. Scandalon says:

Well piffle, that’s like the third game specifying 2G VRAM, my 1Gig 7850 was previously holding up well. (I actually bought and am playing Doom 2016 on it in low almost-everything…)

18. kud13 says:

I think I’ll wait until the holidays when I migh tpick up an ew GPU to replace my paltry GeForce 740

In the meantime I might finally get around to playing the original Dishonored. That should satisfy the “RPG-FPS with powers” itch.