No Man’s Sky: The PC Launch Goes… Well Wobbly

Update: We’re hearing that NMS is running choppily across the board, massive framerate drops, staggering on machines way over spec for the game. One patch has already rolled out that has improved generically low framerates, but it seems the Steam reviews have one theme: juddery, jittery play. That’s certainly been my experience so far, and suddenly a weekend of the bizarre motion sickness it’s inducing in me doesn’t seem such a compelling prospect.

Original: No Man’s Sky PC is out! After the tortuous four day wait since the game was released on PS4, finally we can sink our claws into the 99.999% of the universe those consolers haven’t explored yet.

But can you? Is it working? Can the servers cope? About this, we bring you good news. About how smoothly it’s running, less so.

After a very successful PS4 launch, despite the game being rather crashy for many (I’ve had it do the Playstation equivalent of crashing to desktop four times over three days now, with progress frustratingly lost), hopes were higher for the PC launch. To whatever degree the game is genuinely “always online”, it seems to be enough to have not stressed out the PS servers in a huge launch, leading to the very unusual experience of a new game not exploding as soon as people started playing it.

It seems that Steam’s servers have coped, with the game downloading fine for me in the seconds after it was unveiled. (Why there was no pre-loading offered absolutely beggars belief, but then suits the completely weird launch.)

Booting the game, I was straight in, no issues, other than the colossal sense of loss that I no longer have my PS4 ship and tools, but at least the knowledge that there’s a planet in the universe already called “Poo poo”.

However, I’m having some tremendous problems with the graphics, really nasty choppy movement, and that’s despite a GTX 1080 on an i7-6700, 32GB RAM. Sorting out what’s causing it is proving enormously tiresome because of the game’s ridiculous insistence on doing all graphics in-game, after its ludicrously slow opening, and then wanting to restart for every change. I could be some bloody time. There also seems to be some sort of wretch mouse acceleration thing happening, and three of us at RPS are having problems running the game smoothly.

Update: turning everything down to medium seems to have fixed some of the choppiness, but clearly on the system details listed above that shouldn’t be even close to necessary. And it’s fugly on medium.

We’re also hearing rumours that AMD users are having lots of problems getting it to start at all.

Task switching seems to kill it for all of us, so you’re going to want to run it in a window if you can. Ho boy.

Do let us know if there are issues you’ve found in the comments (but please of course remember that every single PC game has issues for a minority thanks to the infinite complexity of the random combination of components in everyone’s procedurally created PCs).

No Man’s Sky is out now on Steam and Humble for a bloody fortune.

Disclosure: Our Alec did some last-minute writing for No Man’s Sky. He won’t write about the game for us any more, and every time he thinks about it we KICK him.

From this site

1. Danarchist says:

I locked up the second I crawled into the cab of the ship. I hit tab, it told me my thrusters were busted, and then my monitor went into power saving mode as i heard a loud screeching sound coming out of my speakers.

gtx 980 and i7-6700k

• Danarchist says:

dropped anti aliasing down to 2x and shadows down to low and I have only had one hard crash to desktop in about 30 minutes of play now. How the hell do you save in this game? I wanna hit f5 every time i find something but doesnt seem to work…

Nauallis says:

Get in, then get out of your spaceship. Apparently that saves.

• Equinox says:

Maybe you´ve already gotten the answer, but you have to out explore the debris around the ship then get in, then get out of the ship gain, then you should get a saved game message.

• Dlarit says:

Steam reviews don’t look pretty… Cant anyone actually get on the game? link to steamcommunity.com

I’ve been sitting on the fence on this game, £39.99 sounds like alot and from what i’m hearing people are getting bored very quickly with lack of content. Maybe I should just wait for a sale in the future and some addons, I’ve started playing Elite again that should hopefully scratch the same itch for now.

• Dlarit says:

Haha my favorite steam review of the week award goes to:

Wulfgang » Reviews » No Man’s Sky
        “Studies show, 60% of the time it works everytime.”

• w0bbl3r says:

Actually the best I saw was a positive review that says:

“10/10 THE DOWNLOAD WAS QUICK”

Second is the one that says (paraphrasing here): “game crashes to dekstop on loading screen every time, it’s very disappointing I was hoping those extra few days delay would mean a smooth launch. Still hyped for the game”.
          That was also a positive review.

So I think that with all the negative reviews for all the problems, you can also discount a HUGE number of the positive one’s, purely because they can’t have played the game for long enough even if it does work for that person.

• rochrist says:

Took me about 6 minutes to download and I got in instantly. Performance is fair to good with settings fairly well maxed (i5-4670).
        As for steam, a lot of people invested in the game being bad there. But no, I’m having no problems beyond learning to play it.

• Carra says:

€60 seemed like a lot for a game and haven’t really been following the hype.

I’ll pick it up in a steam deal for a fraction of the price. And it’ll run fine by then I’m sure.

• Cleave says:

I’m over 10 hours in now and very much enjoying it but it’s certainly not for everyone, I also haven’t played many of the survival crafting games so I’m not as burned out on the idea as other people probably are. It seems to be a bit of pot luck as to whether it runs though, I also have a 6700K and 1080 and it runs fine (120 – 144 fps at 1080p) on the highest settings save for some sporadic hitching.

• celade says:

On the fair side I can’t count the number of games I’ve gotten at release that weren’t whack, especially when any online component was attached. I’m still looking forward to the game quite a bit and so far it’s been playable for me… but as is always the case I look forward to soon-to-come patches.

2. Sathure says:

Sounds like getting this on PS4 was the right decision.. My 680 would probably cry tears of fire running this if it’s struggling with a 1080.

• Lorax-V says:

lol its been live for 29 minutes…

I’m sure this will be fixed.

• Freud says:

It should have been fixed before they started charging money for it, yes?

• Holderist says:

*whispers* Batman.

• w0bbl3r says:

So? That doesn’t mean that it’s right.
            Just because another game came out in a terrible state, that doesn’t mean all developers can release a buggy mess and not care.

Nauallis says:

Um, yes it does. It does absolutely mean that. Shouldn’t is what you’re going for.

• Zennethe says:

Game was pulled from steam store. Owners can see it still but it is down from the store main page and new releases section of Steam.

• aldo_14 says:

System Requirements
      Minimum:
      OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions)
      Processor: Intel Core i3
      Memory: 8 GB RAM
      Graphics: nVidia GTX 480, AMD Radeon 7870
      Storage: 10 GB available space

Hmmmmmmmmmmm………….

• fish99 says:

Runs fine maxed on my 970 at 1080p.

• Hidoshi says:

Same here. GTX 970 and played 5 hours with no problems on high settings.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

GTX 970 here and I can’t get a smooth 60fps.

• fish99 says:

1080p? I do get the odd stutter btw, nothing really awful though. If it helps I have shadows on high. I also have a 120Hz screen if that’s relevant, maybe try forcing vsync off?

Nauallis says:

It’s super wonky, but turn the FPS setting in the graphics menu up higher than the actual FPS count that you’re shooting for, and then exit & restart the game. This should put your FPS where you want it to be. Worked for me.

• aircool says:

Is it actually rendering at 1080 in game? Mine was set to 1080 but looked like shit.

Did some digging around and ended up increasing the resolution to 2715×1527… now it renders at 1080 (which is my monitor max), but runs even worse.

It’s a dirty trick to have the game render at a level lower than your resolution.

• C0llic says:

Some of the usual tricks help here. Disable vsync for starters, and try upping the fps cap to 90 or unlimited. Some people also report switching to borderless windowed mode helps a ton too.

3. OttoVonBismarck says:

I have one small problem with the game:
    it crashes to desktop and it’s the only thing it does

• OttoVonBismarck says:

I mean right at the start, I don’t even know that the main menu looks like

• freedomispopular says:

Same here

• Freud says:

It’s just pining for the stars.

• Arglebargle says:

Yeah, I sometimes get to the Hello Games screen and then it either quits or locks up. From what I gather in reading up on it, that’s a characteristic of Open GL issues or a CPU without SSE4. Mine is a CPU without SSE4 apparently. There may be a workaround. I am just going to play something else for awhile.

4. mrentropy5 says:

Is it possible there was no pre-load in case they had to delay it again?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It’s only 2.5GB.

• C0llic says:

No pre-load could also mean they were running right to the wire getting the final build out there. I’m not sure how true that is, but I don’t believe there were any advance PC review or streamers copies.

The shaky launch seems to suggest the above as a possibility.

5. aircool says:

Has anyone used the Ge Force Experience settings? I find them a good place to start before fine tuning, and as far as I’m aware, the Ge Force Experience does some behind the scenes tweaks as well, the sort of things that aren’t accessible via the NVIDIA control panel.

Anyway, download almost finished, and I only started it before reading this article :)

• mechavolt says:

This. I used the GeForce Experience tool, clicked “Optimize Settings”. 4.5 hours later, not a single crash and the game runs quite smoothly. That said, I’m running with a 970 and a monitor with G-sync, so YMMV.

• aircool says:

It was mostly working for me, but with a few CTD’s and then some bizarre behaviour where it just dropped to 9fps.

I also discovered that the render resolution is much lower than what you set in the options, so to get it to render at your desktop res, you have to set it higher in the game… that’s just wrong.

Oh, and when you do get the resolution correct, it runs much slower… now why aren’t I surprised :/

6. Symarian says:

32 gigs of ram?! Madness, I say.

• LionsPhil says:

SuperFetch, yo.

Also I suspect games journalists multitask pretty hard. 32 is lovely. I can leave whole Linux VMs running in the background.

7. Cynox says:

So idk whats going on at the moment. Ive downloaded NMS it’s ready to play on Steam; however, when I click play the server message for Steam pops up saying, ‘Starting New Session of NMS’ quickly. Then it disappears and nothing, bloody well nothing, happens. I’m sitting and waiting for something to pop up. I’m afraid I may have inappropriate graphics because I do not have the exact GTX 400 model…someone tell me I haven’t wasted my money..

• Dlarit says:

you can always get a steam refund if you cant get it working, no waste.

8. Cynox says:

480*

9. xanoth says:

Are you kidding me?

I don’t know a single person who’s got the game to launch. Every single person I know has the game crash on startup. all different OS, hardware, etc.

Massive steam thread already with a lot of angry people that the game was delayed and still doesn’t even load. link to steamcommunity.com

Shit happens, sure. But when searching for solutions I don’t expect to see “PC launch goes well” meanwhile there are a lot of people that can’t play at all.

• aldo_14 says:

There is, it has to be said, quite an impressive amount of entitlement on display there.

• Bull0 says:

Oh, that buzzword. Yeah, because it’s so disproportionate to want your forty quid game to actually work at all.

• ScubaMonster says:

I’m not even sure you know what entitlement means because I see none on display here. Sounds like you just like parroting buzzwords when someone says something that ruffles your feathers. He’s merely saying that the article makes it sound like the port isn’t that bad when by all accounts it’s a colossal disaster at the time being.

• aldo_14 says:

That’s my bad. I meant that (entitlement) with respect to the steam forums linked – and specifically with regard to the tone and language of a lot of the posts – not with respect to xanoth.

So total apologies for that looking like a dig, it was totally not my intention and I just arsed up the reply – of course you have a right to expect something you pay for to work.

• C0llic says:

As long as people are reasonable about voicing their complaints, I don’t think its entitlement at all. I’ve only had one game that straight up refused to work at all on release (Empire: Total War) and it’s an incredibly frustrating, infuriating experience. At the time I was quite annoyed, and rightly so.

• Zenicetus says:

The actual title of the post is “The PC Launch Goes… Well”

British subtle humor, ‘ya know.

• Zenicetus says:

Hah, I just noticed on the Steam “news” link from the NMS page, it quotes the RPS title as “The PC Launch Goes Well” without the ellipsis. I wonder if the publisher did that intentionally.

• ExParrot_1337 says:

I thought by ‘well’ they meant a narrow, deep hole in the ground.

• monsieurZb says:

Look on the bright side though: the servers aren’t overloaded.

• perilousrob says:

loads fine for me.

Few things wonky though:

defaulted to windowed. took a few mins to figure out you need to click AND HOLD on any icon/button to get it to activate.

Need to muck about with graphics settings though as it’s a bit juddery on occassion – feels like it’s when I do a quick spin it slows down significantly (4690k, 16gb ram, gtx970 SC)

Alt-tab out crashes with no recovery (had to end task & restart).

it’s not great at explaining stuff at the start either. poor ‘tutorial’.

exciting though, pretty too. can see me being up all hours tonight :)

• fish99 says:

207,046 people playing it right now so I guess someone got it to launch.

10. mhurstjr says:

Seems like AMD users are having issues with crashing on startup. Using an overclocked HD6950 and the game crashes as soon as the title screen fades to white. No error code given.
    (yes I know this card does not technically meet requirements but overclocked it does.)

• qrter says:

I have an HD 8610G, and I’m getting the exact same crash.

Starfield, title, whiteout –> crash to desktop

Looks like a lot of people with Radeon cards are having the same crash.

I tried editing the settings file, to much lower specs, turning Vsync off, running the game windowed.. still the fade-to-white crash.

• xuinia says:

Crashing occurs because your video card doesn’t support opengl 4.5. Luckily there is a FIX. You need to install GLIntercept. link to lixei.com

11. Cynox says:

Ok good. I was going to say there’s no way I can play WoW: Legion and not this…

12. mhurstjr says:

Just tried setting all graphics settings to low in the game files. Still crashes at the same point at startup.

13. WastedJoker says:

no crashes here but pretty shabby performance. Setting FPS limit to max then anistropic to 1 appears to have remedied the worst of it. Still running my card (980ti) very hot though.

14. aircool says:

i5 3570K @4.5GHz
    GTX 970
    8Gb RAM
    Win 10
    All Drives are SSD.

Jerky and looks like it’s running at a lower resolution than 1080. Ge Force Experience recommended settings are generally ‘High’, but the slider that allows you to change performance/quality is slap bang in the middle of 3 settings, so obviously the game isn’t impressed by my PC.

Mouse settings needed to be dropped from default (25) all the way to 1. FoV increased to 90 which is fine although it appears to warp the HUD slightly, but that may be intentional.

I’ve set max framerate to 60 which stops my CPU max’ing out at 100%, and I’m just about to restart the game after fiddling with a few settings.

Just need to know how to get rid of the shitty filters to make the game look clean :)

15. Equinox says:

Got everything on highest settings and 1440p, on a 980ti STRIX 5820K, it runs smooth as hell so far…

16. fish99 says:

Mine runs mostly fine, occasional stutters, 1080p on a GTX970/3570K. One thing I noticed though, the FOV slider isn’t accurate, put it on 100 and it’s actually about 75 (measure it by seeing how my screens wide fit in a complete rotation), and it still has a ‘zoomed’ look to it.

• fish99 says:

Oh yeah, while I’ve had no crashes in 2 hours played so far, every time I look at the pause menu it says I’m offline, so it looks like the server are overloaded or something. Uploading discoveries still works though.

• fish99 says:

Btw that was supposed to say-

measure it by seeing how many screens wide fit in a complete rotation

17. DeusExMachina says:

There are thousands of people reporting horrendous issues with this game at Steam, GOG, and Twitter, just take a look at total biscuit’s twitter.
    This article seems misleading just by reading the title and this disappoints me deeply since this is RPS and not IGN.

• Flatley says:

If you want reporting on what people on Twitter are saying then maybe you should stick to reading IGN.

• DeusExMachina says:

link to pcgamer.com
        There you go my little fanboy lad.
        And by tweets I meant Total Biscuit’s tweets.

• Flatley says:

Yes, that certainly is an article that PC Gamer wrote. This is one that RPS wrote. You wanted them to be identical?

Why are you calling me a fanboy, little lad?

Ericusson says:

I think he calls you an RPS fanboy.
            Before everything, you should consider the tone of your first answer though.

• RobF says:

That’s why you read the article and not just the title though.

• DeusExMachina says:

That’s exactly what I did my friend. Now if YOU did read the article you noticed this little statement right here:

So mostly good news – if you’ve bought a copy, you shouldn’t have any troubles getting it running

So tell me, how is that true when there are more than 9,000 discussion pages at the Steam game hub reporting problems. Tell me my friend…You can check out the GOG forums if you want more…

iris79 says:

I think you are reading the tone of this article wrong, because I just assumed he was damning with faint praise. As a new Zealander I ‘may’ be more alert to English humour.

• WastedJoker says:

Anything that makes TotalBiscuit unhappy makes me happy.

18. RoxiltheDragon says:

Alright so I’ve got a bit of a saga… I downloaded the game just fine, but when I clicked on it in steam, it said ‘running’ for a few seconds, then stopped. It was like I never clicked on it. I tried everything, restarting, opening from different locations… finally I re-downloaded it. Now, it gets as far as the ‘Hello Games’ logo before crashing. I dunno, man… this is weird. I made sure to check the downloads to be sure they were intact, and they were. I can’t find the problem.

• Equinox says:

I Think I got the same issue Before when I used the windows button to get to the desktop, and then clicked on the Icon again to get into the game. Nothing happened, except for a brief message that said something like: “Launching process”, and then nothing.
      Try go into your steam game library and right click and press “start game”. I immediately got inot the game again.

19. Alas Away says:

Oh boy. This is gonna hammer the last nail on the “never trust a hyped game to end up being any good” coffin.

20. Thurgret says:

Oh well.

21. espionage323 says:

Is the author of this article freakin’ kidding me?!? Going well? I’ve not seen a worse shit storm of problems with a game launch since Half Life 2. I’ll be lucky if I and rest of the people in this topic can even get past the login screen.

link to steamcommunity.com

• Alas Away says:

Notice the “…” before the “well”.

• funky_mollusk says:

I’m confused. So saying the opposite of what you mean, and inserting an ellipsis, somehow qualifies as humor or irony?? I’m from across the pond, so maybe the sardonic British wit simply went over my poor head.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

“So saying the opposite of what you mean, and inserting an ellipsis, somehow qualifies as humor or irony??”

Um:
          Irony
          noun
          the expression of one’s meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

• Thurgret says:

Did you miss the ellipsis? And did you read the content of the article?

• espionage323 says:

Yes I did read the article, he doesn’t mention any issues about actually getting into the game… in fact he seems to be praising them for their successful PS4 launch and having no problems downloading the game (since when has that ever been an issue on steam?)

• espionage323 says:

He obviously has failed to do his research before posting this article, if he’d have so much as checked the Tech Support page on Steam, he would have seen the 100+ pages of rage coming from players like myself who can’t even get past the loading screen.

• Jeremy says:

The game launched 15 minutes before he wrote this. Get a hold of yourself.

• mrvega says:

You win the prize for “funniest day-one-release-hater” on the Internet today.

Blaming the author because the game won’t run on your particular machine. Haha. Go on, post your specs and make it even more hilarious.

The best thing is, an incoming patch will likely fix your problem and you’ll wonder why you were such a baby.

• John Walker says:

I admit it, I failed to peer into the future and read the pages of complaints that hadn’t been written when I posted the original version of this article.

I will fire myself immediately.

• aldo_14 says:

If he didn’t have issues getting into the game, it’s very hard for him to report potential issues for others… angry people post more than happy people for obvious reasons, so it’s hard to tell if 200 threads denotes a significant percentage or a small minority. It’s also hard to tell at a glance if they denote issues that are down to some single configuration, or show a widespread common problem.

• Matroska says:

Well look at it logically. Let’s assume each of those 2700-ish posts is by a different person. That is INCREDIBLY unlikely, but let’s imagine it all the same. That means that roughly 1.35% of people currently playing NMS on Steam have posted there. Naturally that means 98.65% of people haven’t. Again, that’s if each person has only posted once. In the first 2 pages alone, one person has posted about 5 times.

22. Geebs says:

Crashed the first time I ran it.

After that it’s running just fine. GTX970 in a Mac Pro 5,1 with 24 gigs of RAM, Windows 10 64 bit. Everything’s on high.

Turn off v-sync.

Other than that the choppiness is just the procedural generation doing its thing. It settles down after a few minutes. Nothing to do with graphics settings.

23. aircool says:

Looks like AMD users are getting the most problems. Unfortunately, that seems to be quite common these days.

Don’t worry AMD peeps, if you got the game working, it still might be a nightmare.

Man… the haters are going to be in hater heaven. I just hope that there’s some quick fixes on the way.

• obsidian76 says:

Seems fine with AMD r9 290x at 1440p and max settings dips into upper 40s now and then but freesync deals with that gonna try on my other (nvidia) system later

cbn says:

I wonder if adding a comma after the …Well would clarify some people’s comprehension of the title.
    But then again, they missed the ellipsis…So,

25. Rogerio Martins says:

No, the game release is shit, watch ACG stream right now, tons of bugs on good systems.

• mrvega says:

What is ACG? You seem certain we should all know this.

Nauallis says:

Angry Corrosive Gamer?

• Stellar Duck says:

Advanced Crustacean Geophysics.

• Rogerio Martins says:

Damn, forgot to say to say it’s a youtube channel. My apologies.

• ooshp says:

Oh goody. I’ll stop playing it and watch this YouTube channel, should be far more reliable than playing the game myself. Only PewDiePie could be … better.

26. Equinox says:

I´ve played for like 2hours almost and explored a planet, interacted with aliens, mined, repaired everything and whatnot, and no problems at all so far execept when you go to desktop (in steam version) and are to go back to the game, clicking on the running Icon. Nothing happens, until I go into steam library and right click on the game and start it again, then immediately I get back into the game…
    Sad to hear so many have troubles…it seems a very cool game so far, and I´ve just scratched the surface.
    I really hope it doesn´t turn bad for me too…

27. quietone says:

No problems except some stuttering. Had more troubles with (surprisingly) Stellaris on launch. Fast download, no server issues. All things considered it could have been much worse. I do hate the menu navigation and configuration options, though. Makes it look like a lame console port. But…still early days.

28. aircool says:

CTD after running back to my ship to get something I crafted :(

Oh well, if I have another CTD I’ll just go back to Skyrim.

I was prepared for some teething problems, but nothing like what many people are experiencing.

29. Ham Solo says:

Horrible performance and stuttering for me, and after reading that a majority of people have similar problems, and the disgusting twitter message of the dev claiming people are bitching because “the pc port isn’t perfect” I requested a refund. That is too much.

30. Zenicetus says:

It’s working here with no crashing on a GTX750ti at 1920×1200. It flummoxed me at first, by not recognizing my monitor res, and it uses this weird control scheme where you have to *hold* down the mouse button over a slider arrow and some other buttons to get settings to to work. Stupid interface design.

The overall frame rate is smooth, but there is stuttering if I turn around too quickly. Also very noticeable ugly tiling on ground textures here and there. I’m at medium quality settings.

It’s clearly not well optimized for PC (yet). Given how simple most of the polygons and textures are in the game world, it shouldn’t be stuttering like this.

• aldo_14 says:

It’s not polygons but voxels, apparently. Although I have no idea what sort of difference that would/should make.

• Zenicetus says:

Hmmm… I thought voxels were pretty efficient?

Well, it doesn’t matter. The game has that quasi-cartoon look like WoW or something more recent like Subnautica. The fairly low amount of graphics detail shown onscreen just shouldn’t be taxing the GPU this badly, unless it just isn’t well optimized.

• jonahcutter says:

There’s a lot more going on under the hood than teh graphics. Procedural generation, animation, etc probably are fairly taxing as well.

• Cederic says:

Procedural generation – like Elite had, in the 80s, on 8 bit computers with a clock speed of around 1MHz? Shit, my current PC could emulate 4000 of those computers without even touching the graphics card.

Then take into account it’s all single-seed procedural generation. That means they can optimise the fuck out of it.

Can. Not did.

• Matroska says:

As far as I know, this type of rendering used to be very CPU intensive a while ago. It doesn’t care about GPU memory because that’s for textures and this generally doesn’t have them, at least not in the sense of huge high def textures that we’re generally used to. It’s just the CPU figuring out all this geometry based on myriad rules.

In recent years, though, that’s been shifted onto the GPU doing all the calculations. Perhaps because most PC gamers (and console gamers, incidentally) have much better GPUs than they do CPUs. So yeah, we find ourself in this situation now where the GPU is doing all this stuff. It reminds me of how emulators typically are all about the CPU but in some emulators you can actually shift responsibility onto the GPU.

• aldo_14 says:

That’s exactly what I thought!

Now, if no-one has any more questions – good – I’ll just sidle out… over……………here!

• Equinox says:

Yeah, that thing with the mousebutton control, that even on graphics settings etc you have to hold down the mosebutton for, what, 1-1,5 second, is mental…took me 4 minutes to get that. I thought it was optimized only for gamepad or something.

31. AlorisDiax says:

There’s already a reddit for people unable to even get the game to launch. Widespread. Across multiple system setups.

Yeah.

Not so well.

32. GearStruck says:

“Goes well.”

Yeah alright. Wanna take a look at the Steam community thread that currently has 118 pages of people wondering how to get past the white screen? We can’t even land on a planet.

However, the music is pretty, so there’s that.

• ramirezfm says:

“Goes well” and “goes… well” is not the same. Many people would say it’s quite different even, but well…

33. KastaRules says:

Doesn’t go. Like at all. At least that’s what people on Steam are saying.

caff says:

I’m normally a massive sucker for big hyped up releases but I’ve managed to avoid this one. Think I’ll wait for the RPS WOTs before looking at this.

35. Eikenberry says:

This is generally why you don’t hire a QA team on the day of the launch of your product. And have an issue ticket system in place during development, not at day of launch.

Expect the QA team to spend the next month filing all the issues and hopefully the devs can get it patched up.

In other news, did you really expect the most hyped game of the year to be issue-free 2 hours after launch? really? REALLY?

• engion3 says:

I played through Doom day 1, the patch they released a couple weeks after made it run about 20 fps better though.

• Jeremy says:

Yeah, I was reading about that.. and it made me cringe. It’s hard enough developing software when you know you’re basically only accounting for 3 versions of Windows, let alone all of the myriad possibilities for gaming. There really is a lot of promise for this game, so I hope they can clear out the bugs quickly enough to survive this initial backlash.

36. ZeDoublebubble says:

It’s a great concept, but I have a few issues with this game so far. This was all in the span of 20 minutes of gameplay.

-The loading screen was rediculously long ( 2 min or more to load in, however it was a good looking loading screen)
    -Please make saving more convenient(jumping in the ship every time is getting annoying)
    -Every “new” interaction I make with an object results in a large lag spike
    -Choppy framerate
    -I have to restart every single time I adjust something in the options, which took me 20 minutes due to the long loading screen and reset of progress

So far I like the game, but it’s bad framerate and lag spikes hurts me mentally whenever it happens.I’m sure I will find more issues, no offense, and I cant wait to see how it progresses, but as of now, it was not worth my $70.

• Matroska says:

Well there are save points you find on planets, though that’s not necessarily any more convenient than saving in your ship.

I also feel that it should save as you enter the ship, not after you exit it again. Not least because it creates this odd meta-narrative thing where at the end of a gameplay session you get into your ship (great place to end!) but then get out again for no apparent reason and just stand there for hours until play resumes. I dunno, it’s like you get into the safe zone and stay there between sessions. It’s almost like if in Resident Evil, you write something on the typewriter but it doesn’t actually save until you leave the current room.

37. TheMightyEthan says:

Apparently it’s an issue with SSE 4.1 CPU instructions, which means anyone with a Phenom CPU or older Intel CPU is SOL, even if it meets specs.

link to neogaf.com

• Ushao says:

Having that issue, myself since I have an older Phenom II quad core. Confirmed it by running it through Intel’s SSE 4.1 emulation and everything came up fine (if rather choppy). Even played it for a while before it crashed.

• saluki says:

Me too unfortunately. I’ve got an older Phenom 1055T hexacore. I can’t decide if this is my fault for not reading the specs right or if i should be hate-twittering right now!

The only thing i would add to the (updated) article is that this seems to be a fairly widespread problem. There are more than a few people unable even to see the janky low framerates :c

• Ushao says:

Well, suggestions I’ve seen from Reddit and the like is that they should be able to just flip the legacy support flag then recompile and it should work on ours fine. How true that is, I have no idea.

• saluki says:

I’ve read that too, hopefully it is that simple and it won’t impact performance too much (more). With luck this weekend will still be in play! Having to wait all week was already testing me, this is kind of a crushing blow :c

38. baseless_drivel says:

Comment from Sean Murray:

“Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined so many players buying our game on the PC. We are aware of the issue a percentage of players are experiencing, and have assigned a percentage of our staff to fixing these at some point. Statistically, the chances of creating software this complex with zero bugs is near zero, so please start the game with this expectation. The fact that we were able to push the game out to so many players simultaneously without requiring a CD or DVD installation is a testament to the convenience of modern technology and digital distribution. We look forward to seeing you enjoy the game with your friends.”

• Stellar Duck says:

Ugh.

Mealy mouthed vagueness. A percentage of staff at some point?

I’ll assign a percentage of my money for it and pick it up in a few years if they manage to fix it.

• badmothergamer says:

He needs to put a percentage of the staff on PR. The first thing they should tell him is “delete your account”.

• aldo_14 says:

I’d imagine it’s quite hard to just tweet ‘we only have about 5 coders and we want to go home and sleep, so we might not fix anything for a while’.

(having done 18 hour shifts to fix stuff in the past, I wouldn’t exactly blame them – after 12 hours or so you’re pretty much useless anyway)

• thrasius says:

Whoosh!

• Equinox says:

That is just universally mental to say one did not expect this kind of game getting a large PC crowd, being THE customers…I wonder if he had no time at all to keep up with what is happening on the market the last 3-4 years…like when console spokespeople on E3 and other media said in 2010 that “PC is dead as a platform – the future belongs to consoles”! The future is tailored computers for all but infants, that´s kinda obvious to most players…

• Matroska says:

The vast majority of multiplatform games still sell far more on console – especially when you consider the install base of, say, PS4 vs the amount of PCs. I don’t know how many more gaming PCs there are in the world than the PS4’s install base of around 40 million, but Dark Souls III on PS4 outsold the PC version by 1.5 to 1.

If there’s as little as 80 million gaming PCs in the world (is that a crazy idea?) then that’s actually 3:1 per possible user, obviously the ratio gets worse the more gaming PCs you imagine there are. Even putting aside ratios, it’s lower as an absolute number by about half a million sales.

This huge amount of PC sales that Sean’s talking about is right now only about 200,000ish on Steam. I’m not saying that’s bad, but it’s not much for a console game, especially not one with this amount of hype and anticipation.

• Equinox says:

I think that´s a kinda generation shift, I did not know he´d excpect it to sell 200.000 on console Quick (?) if that´s what you mean.
          If one looks at how many people Blizzard got to buy Overwatch the first week on PC, about 10 million, it´s still strange to alienate PC players by stating they never knew this was gonna be such a a PC hit etc…it feels like they live in the past. This game I think it will show how important it is being able to patch and mod it to make it survive longer than a quarter.
          If they continue to state the computer player market is a “surprise” and a side market they will perish as a studio soon…just look at games like Skyrim, the mod scene on PC will make it last possibly 20 or more years, now fans are even releasing “Skywind”, a remake of Morrowind with an improved Skyrim Engine, for free…

• aamosnyc says:

“The fact that we were able to push the game out to so many players simultaneously without requiring a CD or DVD installation is a testament to the convenience of modern technology and digital distribution.”

BWAHAHAHAHA

39. smeezer says:

I found on PC that switching back and forth from the game, while annoying, is easy if you use task manager’s “Bring to front” feature. I’m not having any issues with choppiness though and I still haven’t done the update. 4790k and Titan X
    I just had to turn down to FXAA and Anisotropic to 8x at 2560×1440

40. funky_mollusk says:

The last time I checked the dictionary (just moments ago), ellipses aren’t meant to negate what is being said, or imply irony. I assume it’s just an idiomatic difference (I’m from North America), but I honestly couldn’t glean any sort of information from that title.

Wouldn’t it just be easier to write: “The launch is going POORLY”?

• TheMightyEthan says:

It’s a pun, a not-uncommon occurrence on this site.

• funky_mollusk says:

I’ve heard of these “pun” things of which you speak… How is this one of those? Like in the sense that “well” could also be a pause before leading into the next word? I guess that makes sense.

Best regards.

• funky_mollusk says:

It’s moot now, since they’ve changed the title. (wobbly seems fitting) Still I was referring to the elipsis…

• Matroska says:

It implies the speaker is trailing off, which can have various implications but generally makes it sound insincere or uncertain.

• funky_mollusk says:

Yes. I see the point now. It is maybe a minor stylistic point, however I think the confusion on these comments (and the fact they changed the title) just indicates it was a bit too ambiguous. It would have made more sense to my eyes if the elipsis had been after the “well”.

thanks for the responses.
            best regards.

41. Zankman says:

Ugh, what a catastrophe…

Screw this whole thing; I wasn’t even hyped about the game, but, this debacle with the PC launch, no true Multyplayer, it being developed for Console alongside PC…

What a mess, what wasted potential.

• fish99 says:

Aren’t most games developed for console alongside PC these days? If I had a look at your gaming history on steam would I not see any multiplatform games on there?

Godwhacker says:

Works fine on my 980m- turned the frame limter off and it’s completely fine. My CPU is getter a bit elderly so I’m guessing the stutter is things getting generated

I get the feeling there will be patches.

43. daphne says:

Less problem-ridden games than this apparent PoS have been punished with much harsher words on this site before. You (i.e. John Walker) have a top of the line rig and the best you can muster in the face of running the game in medium settings seems to be… mild disapproval.

I’m not going to suggest anything funny about being shills etc. of course not. But please don’t give the supposedly quiet, hardworking, earnest geeks of Hello Games a free pass. They have not lived up to their image, they have not delivered anything worthy of their self-presentation, and they have not deserved people’s sixty bucks. They have been underhanded and deceitful in releasing this game in this state, more so than most AAA companies, and I hope this site will be among those noting this fact.

• John Walker says:

PC game doesn’t run well at launch. Journalist fails to call for murder of developers. More at 11.

• daphne says:

Yes, I obviously called for their murder or immediate revocation of their game development privileges. That’s definitely how you respond to a comment as an adult.

“PC game doesn’t run well on launch” is not a naturally occurring phenomenon, witnessed in lush personal computing habitats. It doesn’t run well because someone didn’t do the necessary work. All I’m suggesting is that you criticize and hold Hello Games responsible to the same extent that you rightly do with AAA companies.

Fingers crossed that I didn’t actually eat your kitten with this comment.

• aldo_14 says:

What do you suggest they should do/write then?

• daphne says:

Nothing right this very second (though I suspect JW thought the opposite, which is why he went all fetal position on me), but I do hope that they’ll use sharper words when the WIT arrives. I don’t wish Hello World harm, but I do think they have been dishonest in releasing the game in this state.

• aldo_14 says:

But can you really damn a game for performance issues if you can’t really quantify what percentage of people they impact, or if it’s too early to not assume they’ll be fixed? I mean, even the Arkham Knight WIT was broadly positive, if recognizing the then widespread and developer acknowledged issues. It must be pretty hard for a reviewer to go ‘well, I enjoyed this game massively, but I’ve read some people have technical issues so I must castigate it’.

I’m not sure if you can give a fair review in that manner, unless you experience those technical problems themselves – unless the developer themselves acknowledges the issue and gives you a source of verification that isn’t – understandably – angry comment threads.

• ooshp says:

Golly, you must be fun at parties.

• daphne says:

I don’t attend parties where the booze has run dry and the music doesn’t play.

• Morodo3 says:

Daphne that not true.. they’ve done nearly all the major things they promised. I run this on a i7 with ti 780 and have no major problems at all. A slight stutter ones in a while and 1 crash in the 9 hours of gameplay. Which was overly enjoyable.

But that’s hardly not keeping your promise.. that’s tech issues on pc for you, which a lot of other games had had too and some of the major titles like skyrim, titanfall and oblivion still have – no reason to completely destroy someone.

I dont know this site but if thats the way to do it here.. im probably in the wrong place and please forget this post.

44. Cooper says:

Recent tweet from Sean:
    “please make sure your GFX card is above the min spec. OpenGL 4.5 is required to play No Man’s Sky”

Which excludes all HD 5000 and 6000 cards, and a fair few NVidia cards.

However, the minimum requirements list a OpenGL 4.2 card…

• Jediben says:

Ooof false advertising can be expensive.

• Cockie says:

No, despite Nvidia’s spec sheet the GTX 400-series actually supports OGL 4.5 with new drivers.
      Whether it can run it at a decent rate is a different question…

45. Zorrito says:

Haven’t had a chance to test yet, but these seem to be the generic fixes that are working for Redditors:

– Hitching (solved by windowed-borderless)
    – Can’t tab back after tabbing out (solved by windowed-borderless)
    – Low FPS (various: setting FPS cap higher than desired, playing in offline mode)
    – Can’t even boot it (solved by latest patch?)

46. Matroska says:

Here’s my pointless bit of chipping in one the issue. 970, i5-6500, 12GB RAM, Windows 10. Is quite choppy and the framerate isn’t great but is stable (so far) and seems to work as intended in other regards.

I do find it kind of strange, though. How many times are PC gamers going to get a game that performs terribly, if at all, right across the board, then rise up in a furious tidal wave of negative Steam reviews… only to then deny that this thing ever happens when people use this kind of thing as a negative point against PC gaming? I look forward to this “unforgivable travesty” being played down as “What? A few people got non-optimal framerates for a day?” when this is brought up by a console gamer in the future.

• Christo4 says:

I’d agree, if consoles also got games that run perfectly at 30 fps, but the truth is, there are plenty of games that struggle even to maintain that. I don’t really have any other example because i don’t follow console games much, but for example from what i remember, skyrim and witcher 3 work pretty bad, dragons dogma dark arisen too, then you have DS1 (not sure if 2 has problems), 3 and bloodborne having some areas that have poor performance and long load times. Meanwhile on PC most of these games ran without problems and at 60 fps.

While these are not examples of a botched launch (maybe there are some, but as i said, i’m not really well informed about console games and their performance), the fact that they only have one set of hardware and STILL had framerate and other problems makes me think that PC isn’t in that bad of a situation. Just don’t buy into the hype and buy multiplatform games at launch i guess.

Though to be fair, i do think that the gaming market overall should work with other hardware and software manufacturers to see what they can do to make optimizations better. Otherwise if this becomes a trend then i can see why some people would turn to consoles, especially since, other than indie games, prices for games seem to start being pretty cheap on them as well.

• Matroska says:

Well that’s just it – The Witcher 3 ran terribly for many people at launch, terrible framerates all over the place, lots of CTDs, people with monster PCs complaining that they only got 30fps at best in Novigrad. And now that I bring up this point, the response is that it didn’t have any problems. Dark Souls III threads were liberally peppered with complaints of crappy framerates and how people wished they’d got it on PS4. Bloodborne wasn’t on PC, by the way. Skyrim had problems on PS3 but not 360 as far as I know. Of course, it still probably ran far better on both than it would have on a £300 PC from about 2006 (when those consoles came out). That’s something to bear in mind, too.

It seems to be that when the game first comes out and doesn’t work, people turn their anger on the devs. They want to express how terrible the devs are, how much they’ve botched the game. Then months later they’ve forgotten about that and the question of the game’s performance has just been adsorbed into the whole “console peasants vs master race” war and thus must be downplayed or sugarcoated as much as possible. First we had to let the devs know what terrible human beings they are, then we had to let the console gamers know what terrible human beings they are. In order to do both those things, we need to totally invert how the games ran at launch.

• Matroska says:

Sorry, I meant to add in a bit saying that I think it’d be interesting if you remember this and see how people talk about it in the future during some console vs PC argument. If people say “Well NMS ran okay on PS4 but was apparently unplayable on PC,” the counterargument will be “What? It ran at a smooth 60fps or more. Maybe some people with toasters couldn’t run it”. I’ve seen it happen so often.

• Christo4 says:

Yeah, while i’m only a PC player i can’t disagree with that. It seems that since PC offers a lot of options and more frequent updates, it means that devs make a lot of wonky jobs at porting the games.
            And well i mean that for example now the witcher 3 can still have some fps probs and otehr things on consoles, while it works ok on pc, even if at launch it didn’t work good at all.
            It’s kinda of weird really, but i think each one has their ups and downs, though i think consoles are catching up a bit. At least pricing wise and the fact that you probably won’t have too many performance problems when you install a game. Though PC is still the kind of 60 fps, indies and visuals and i’d say even multiplayer a bit (since a lot of the really popular mp games are on PC).
            To each his own, though the reasoning that games run poor on consoles when they can be shit at launch at pc is rather stupid and as you said, a lot of people sugarcoat it.
            Though i really wish devs would stop working for the limitations of consoles and develop a bit more for pc too… I mean for example, gamepad limitations, where characters get just 4 actions because that’s how many buttons you have with the right thumb instead of doing the game as they wanted to. Kinda annoying.

• MultiVaC says:

Because while there’s always some problems when games launch on PC, it’s not the norm for them to be a total shitshow like this seems to be so far. I’ve played my fair share of janky PC lauches, but what I’m reading here has put me off buying it for the time being, and I was looking forward to getting home and playing it ASAP. Cases like this are not normal and usually are the result of sub-par QA from developers and/or publishers.

47. RobF says:

Running a bit hot still here but fairly OK in the end. Whacking the FPS above 60 and it grinds the CPU into the ground but running everything on max settings, not much lag and quite enjoying myself really.

Looks a handful of patches away from smooth running but it’s nowhere near the end of the world. Certainly had more trouble running Just Cause 3 or Doom on launch than with this so *shrugs* seen worse.

Captain Narol says:

Worked fine for from the start, apart from a few stutterings by moments..

Played 3 hours so far and having a great time, that’s exactly what I was expecting from the game. Maybe I’ll get bored at some point, but not yet.

• WastedJoker says:

Same here – 4hrs of pretty good fun. Few issues starting the game – it was defaulted to windowed mode and 30fps lock. Hateful console-y type menu selections though.

Went back to geforce experience, changed the optimize setting to Windowed Borderless then pressed Optimize.

Game runs at 60fps with almost no stuttering for me. Runs REALLY hot on my card though. 80C max – witcher 3 on max settings barely got above 78c!

• Matroska says:

The menu is weird but it’s not really console-y. It uses a mouse cursor, for one thing. Navigating it with a controller is no better (I use KB+M when on foot and a Dualshock 4 when flying). It’s like with Skyrim – that had an awful menu and UI which people blamed on consoles. I can say as someone who games a lot on both PC and console, it was just shit. Crappy for consoles, crappy for PC. NMS isn’t that bad, thankfully.

Nauallis says:

Striking resemblance to Destiny’s menu and UI. This is a good thing.

• Zenicetus says:

I’m at 3 hours now too, and it’s working okay. Still get a slight stutter every now and then. Now that I’m flying the ship, I’m getting a *lot* of small areas of texture pop-in with the terrain near the ship when flying low. It’s annoying but non-game-breaking.

All the mechanics work smoothly, so far. The inventory and crafting system is a UI mess but I guess I’ll get used to it.

49. BurningPet says:

200k players right now, which probably means around what, 1M bought it today only?

The top tier companies struggle to have enough servers for these kind of numbers, so what can you expect from a small company which only game so far had been Joe danger?! not to disrespect that game, but the total sales it had across all platforms were less than the first hour of No Man’s Sky on the PC alone.

• anHorse says:

You don’t need to access servers to launch a game and have it run well

Diablo 3 launched fine during it’s disaster launch, you just couldn’t login

• Morodo3 says:

The largest part of the ones who bought the game actually has no problem playing it – and like diablo sometimes your are not online but that has no effect on the game its still playable.

50. tigerfort says:

No idea why you struck out a word there, John: “Well wobbly” sounds exactly right…