Here’s When No Man’s Sky Unlocks On PC

No Man’s Sky [official site] officially launches on PC today, 12 August, but if you’re desperate to get your space exploration on (or want to know if you have time to bake a cake or attend an afternoon garden party before it pings into your game library) here are the exact timings for the Steam launch:

RIGHT:

6pm BST (so UK people will need to evaluate their evening plans and do a pro/con list for any post-work pub trips)

1pm EST (so East Coast US people will need to evaluate the relative appeal of their afternoon Powerpoint presentations)

10am PST (so West Coast types might as well just “work from home” if they’re into No Man’s Sky)

7pm CEST (so mainland Europe can probably fit in a swift half at the pub beforehand if they want)

N.B. These are the times that the game becomes available for download as pre-loading is not available – so confirms the support page. That (obv) means that your actual start time with the game will be linked with how happily your PC will download anything. If I was still in London I imagine this would put No Man’s Sky’s release date for Pip somewhere on Sunday morning. SICK BURN, LONDON INTERNET.

If you’re curious and simply can’t wait, John’s got some preliminary No Man’s Sky thoughts and impressions based on two days with the PS4 build.

One of the upshots of No Man’s Sky releasing, by the way, is that we can finally get some new screenshots from the game in our regular rotation. So that’s a smidge of good news even if you have no intention of playing the thing.

ACCOMPANYING NEWS:

Sean Murray has put up a blog post on the official NMS site to acknowledge a number of issues, bugs and crashes which the team are working to fix. Obviously we have no idea to what extent any of those will affect the PC release but I’m adding the information here anyway because it also explains a bit more about support system changes that might be relevant if you encounter any nonsense.

• We’ve brought a new QA team on board today (larger than the entire Hello Games team!). This will complement the existing Sony QA team.
  • We are working on fixes for the most critical issues, which will be in a patch in the near future.
  • We will be moving to a ticketed support system next week, and have hired someone to manage this starting Monday.
  • Some information will be posted in the Sony forums here http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Games-Services/bd-p/22190
  • Or contact Hello Games here http://www.no-mans-sky.com/support/
  • And here are some workarounds that might end up proving useful:

Here are some workarounds for some known issues:

• If you believe you are stuck, or can’t reach your ship, be aware you can jetpack forever whilst pushing against any surface
  • If you have made a mistake – you can revert to any of your two previous saves in the Options Menu
  • If you have left your ship somewhere inaccessible, you will be able to summon it from landing pads or beacons found at most buildings or points of interest (marked by question marks)
  • Here’s a section about the pre-order ships. I can’t actually remember which ships it was for PC and CLEARLY no-one on RPS will have pre-ordered so this is only here as a hypothetical scenario ;)

It has been reported that some players have not received a pre-order bonus. In most cases so far, the player has either not redeemed their bonus correctly from the PS store or from the Options Menu. Also sometimes players have received the bonus, but the name displayed in-game was incorrect. The Alpha Vector ship is named Domanish S84 in-game, and (in the US) the Rezosu AZ65 is named Final Shadow XIV in game.

Finally, here’s he part addressing a problem that was happening on PS4 where switching to a pre-order bonus ship would skip the part of the tutorial that gives you the blueprints for a hyperdrive (on account of you already having one in the pre-order ship). I believe you can find them through other means but it’s less than ideal so here’s that bit too:

It has been reported that using the pre-order bonus ship will leave some players stranded, if they purchase or transfer to a new ship that does not have a hyperdrive (if done very early in game). In most cases the player is actually able to continue (107 of the 135 reports emailed so far). The game already detects the player needs a hyperdrive and directs them to a nearby NPC who will give the player the hyperdrive they need. Some other players were able to resolve this issue by restarting their console.

Disclosure: Our Alec did some last-minute writing for No Man’s Sky. He won’t write about the game for us anymore.

From this site

1. Shiloh says:

Having now seen and read a fair bit about NMS, I think it’s safe to say my Friday evening plans (fish and chips with Mrs S) remain intact.

I’ll maybe pencil in a Friday sometime in 2017 for NMS once the dust has settled.

• MajorLag says:

Like many games these days, NMS seems to be packed to the gills with time wasting tedium. I personally can’t pencil it in until sometime after retirement, which describes about 2/3rds of my Steam library anyway.

2. Stone_Crow says:

I know calm rational expectations and NMS don’t really go together, but please also remember the Steam servers will get hammered at 6PM BST so your download speed will likely be naff, the initial Steam download will probably be followed by an enormous patch download, the enormous patch will be followed by an enormous install.

So, enable Remote Desktop Connection, grab a laptop, run laborious install over several hours from the pub! ;o)

• maccca says:

Or play it on PS4 ;)

• zxcasdqwecat says:

What’s a ps4? Is it like my pc?

• fish99 says:

Well, it costs more, runs at 30 fps and has a really low FOV (I estimated around 62 degrees) even for a console game, so … I’d say the PC version should be a better bet, assuming it’s solid.

• Touff says:

They say it’s 8gb so it’s not going to be a long download… luckily I have 50 mb/s of download speed (mostly for the 5 upload it comes with)

• lordcooper says:

“There is a slight itch in my foot”

“Chop your leg off”

• GenialityOfEvil says:

GOG ftw.

• Barvahal says:

Non need to use Remote Desktop. If you leave Steam running, you can use its remote downloads feature from any web browser.

UncleBAZINGA says:

Thanks man, didn’t knew about that feature. Anyway NMS = avoid in my case.

• Booshi says:

Not sure why but when i checked that feature through the website, No Man’s Sky was one of the games that did NOT show up on the “All Games” list (i doubled checked the steam guide on the remote download access).

am i the only one? perhaps there’s a setting i need to check or uncheck that you’d know about?

• bschug says:

I think it will only show up once the game is available for download.

• UncleLou says:

I don’t think I’ve *ever* downloaded a game on Steam, and *then* had to download a patch immediately afterwards.

That aside, you’re not wrong. :)

Harlander says:

Doesn’t the patch get bundled into the initial download if it’s already out when you download a game these days?

• skorpeyon says:

On PC, yes. That’s probably where the confusion lies, since the game released on PS4 first and typically when you get home with a console game and start it up for the first time there is a VERY lengthy install followed by a patch download and another lengthy install. On PC, especially with Steam or GOG or the like, the installs rarely take any time and any early patches are bundled in because it essentially downloads the current version of the game’s files rather than downloading an installer and performing an install. You may end up with a lengthy download of a patch if one happens to release just after your install is complete, however.

• kryty says:

I decided to go to cabin for the evening and download it remotely from here.

3. fish99 says:

Decided to pick up the PC version last night after reading reviews, watching my brother play it (ps4) and watching a bunch of streams. I know what it is and isn’t now, and want to experience it for myself. If I get 20hrs of fun before getting bored that’ll be fine with me.

4. brucethemoose says:

Having somehow ignored most of the hype, I’ve recently gathered this:

NMS is basically the Spore space stage on steroids, in 1st person.

That actually sounds like alot of fun, but not $60 fun…

• Orageon says:

Damn, now I kind of miss Spore. Loved to see the crazy stuff people came up with on the Sporepedia, and seeing those appear in your playthrough.
        Too bad it was overall a bit shallow, apart from the creation aspect for your species/building/vehicles etc.

How I would love for them to do a Spore 2, pushing the gameplay refinements for all the evolution stages.

• PancakeWizard says:

YMMV, of course. Personally, Starbound is £40 worth of fun for £12. Star Wars Battlefront is £5 worth of fun for £40.

This looks worth £40 to me.

• MajorLag says:

While I disagree about it sounding like fun, I have to point out that we gamers do have a rather ridiculous notion of what the dollar value of fun is don’t we? $60 for 20+ hours entertainment is too much, but many of us will pay $8 for a coffee, or $20 for a 2 hour movie. If I had a dollar every time someone balked at paying $0.99 for a game while sipping an overpriced Starbucks latte, well, I wouldn’t need them to pay me $0.99 for a game.

• brucethemoose says:

I never buy Starbucks, and that $20 movie is basically for the social aspect of going to it with friends, kinda like eating out.

I get what you’re saying though, and it does seem rather silly when you reason it out.

• Matroska says:

What exactly IS “$60 fun”? People use that phrase, or similar, but it never really makes sense. That’s about £40 and that amount would basically be a night in a pub. That’s to say, sitting in a chair for a few hours drinking something that’ll probably make you feel a bit crap the next day while talking to friends – although that part is free.

It would be the same as seeing 4 films at the cinema (so roughly 8 hours of totally non-interactive entertainment). I don’t know… it would be maybe enough for a cheapish 3 course meal for 1 including a couple of drinks at best. It wouldn’t get you a ticket for a gig of most bands (without even taking into account travel, drinks, etc). I could go on, but basically anything else “fun” for £40 would last for a very small amount of time and would be somewhat mundane, not like some life-changing experience.

5. c3lt says:

I’m not sure a “swift half” makes sense to mainland Europe, or maybe it’s a half litre…

• Thankmar says:

I’m not sure if I miss something here, but I write it anyway: A half litre is actually a pretty common size for a beer to have in a bar, albeit mostly the biggest one outside Munich and Oktoberfest. But also, a friend of mine from North Rhine-Westphalia was stunned when he learned there a other sizes of bottled beer than a half litre.

• PointyShinyBurning says:

Swiftness is location dependent, in Belgium a ‘demi’ (half) is a half litre whereas in France it’s half the normal size, i.e. a quarter litre.

• gou says:

i’ll be mostly head anyway

• PancakeWizard says:

Tbh, I’m not sure it makes much sense for England, either. I can’t remember seeing anyone order a ‘half’ other than my Nan.

Order a pint, buy a bottle or go on the wine/shorts! That’s the rules!

6. Tikigod says:

Game releases today, Hello Games just announce they’ve hired a QA team that isn’t Sony’s QA team.

Now I wonder why my hope for an optimised or even stable PC experience just vanished in an instant……

• WastedJoker says:

Presumably the QA team brought in is specifically for the PC version. Not sure why that raises concerns, to be honest – fairly standard practice, no?

• Tikigod says:

No, it’s not standard practise to hire a QA team for your game on the day of release.

You tend to do your QA before shipping the game oddly enough.

• bschug says:

From what I understand, they completely self-funded the development of the game. Sony only provided them with the QA team and marketing. They probably just couldn’t afford a QA team of their own until now because they didn’t have any revenue.

As to why they hire them now instead of further relying on Sony: The Sony team might be pulled off soon. Also, it makes sense for Hello Games as a company to start building their own QA and support teams and acquire the know-how for future projects. Keeps them more independent from publishers.

• yogibbear says:

That would explain why there was a delay between PS4 and PC launches….

• yogibbear says:

Anyway I’m ignoring you for another 8 hrs till I can judge for myself. HYPE TRAIN CONTINUEEEEEEEEEE CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Tikigod says:

The gap in release dates is pretty typical for anything Sony/Microsoft have their grubby fingers over. It’s part of their “Keep our platform significant” policy.

But I’d say it explains why they’ve ignored all communication attempts from any press outlet inquiring about PC review builds, and have seemingly been impossible to reach in regards to anything to do with the game.

I would also not be highly surprised if mentioning that they’ve NOW got a QA team on the day of the PC release was an bit of last minute damage control because they know exactly what they’re shipping to PC is in a particular state.

• PancakeWizard says:

They just want to get patches out faster, no conspiracy there.

7. Rohit says:

10:30pm IST (I’ll skip sleeping this weekend)

8. Psychomorph says:

On my PC, it unlock never.

9. Marr says:

Still no response from HG on the question of net code, then. Quite a lot of people would like to know whether it’s not going to have any, is currently broken but being worked on, or is intended for a future patch. The ticket system’s going to be swamped with variations on that question.

10. aircool says:

After persuasion from a friend, I started a fresh game of Skyrim last night, so whilst I’ll be downloading NMS later on, I’ve got plenty of other games to keep me occupied if there are problems.

• Slinkusss says:

Now there’s a friend stepping up when they are needed and bringing light to one’s life. The world could use more ‘friends-who-persuade-one-to-play-Skyrim’ in it.

• aircool says:

Yeah, I played it when it first came out and I did what I always do when I play a EScrolls game, level up a wizard because I’m rubbish at melee. That’s mostly because I’m left handed and want to use the LMB for a sword in my left hand and RMB for a shield in my right hand. The interface still sucks :)

This time though, I’m an Argonian with a bow. The game also runs like stink with my GTX970… so much so that I used the DSR option just to limit the framerate to something sensible.

I’ve attempted a restart several times since my first play through but having to fart about with mouse settings and not being able to use numpad keybinds has always put me off.

Nauallis says:

Couldn’t you just play with a gamepad? Alternately, the game will let you wield weapons in either hand/mouse button.

• aircool says:

It’s still very much a valid game even though it’s showing its age.

• MasterZoen says:

Well, the Special Edition should help with the age issue.

If you’re using a GTX 970 then you can enforce V-sync through the Nvidia Control panel. Just click Manage 3D Settings under the Task list, then on the Global Setting tab find V-sync and change “Use 3D application settings” to “On.”

11. JZybutz0502 says:

When will we we be able to pre-download NMS if we are in the UK?

12. Shooty Deluxe says:

Anybody know at what time the GOG version will be released? Same as Steam?

Marclev says:

Anybody know where you can buy a Steam key for cheaper than the £39.99 they want by going through Valve?

• fabronaut says:

I got Doom for cheap from Green Man Gaming about a week after it released. About 30-40% off, something like that.

Can’t say I’ve ever used sites like that before, but that one is well regarded as above board / not a scam. CD Keys seems okay as well. GMG is the only one I can personally vouch for, as the checkout and key redemption was basically instantaneous and straightforward as it gets.

AutonomyLost says:

I’ll vouch for Green Man Gaming as well; I’ve bought several titles through them and have never encountered a problem.

• fish99 says:

What I did was buy 2x £20 steam wallet top-ups from cdkeys (£19.69 each) and you get a further 5% off by liking them on facebook. Saves you about £2.60 or something, which you might not even think is worth it.

Prices for NMS on key sellers are bizarrely higher than Steam, so I’m guessing HG have limited key distribution to keep prices high. GOG (DRM free) and Humble Store have the game too, but it’s £39.99.

14. Equinox says:

Sounds like London internet connection is generally slow…? Did not know that.
      What kind of speed is common there?

• bandertroll says:

Same feeling. I have 100 mbit\sec for ~7$ in month into barbariann country with bears and vodka.

• aircool says:

Oh, here in the wilder, northern parts of the UK (the real north, none of that Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds nonsense), we’re still using signal bonfires for our internet.

• LordKnightyme says:

2:30am is the time for Central Australaia time when this goes live to start downloading. And here we have a super fast 25Kb/s max speed … and that is with our still being built NBN (National Broadband Network) … all for a cheap $70 a month, for typically 1Tb.

At the very least all PC users should have been allowed to predownload the bulk of the files with a few small key files to complete for release.

• Equinox says:

Hah, seems we may be living in the same area then, man…got smooth 100MB/s-1TB/s fiber connection up here in viking country…and for a change my broadband company actually delivers about 98% of that speed. Took me about 3 minutes to download the whole thing; now let´s see if the servers crash lol…

15. CrazieSiberian says:

Why does no one ever list CST? You know people live in that area as well? I mean it’s not too hard to go google what the time difference is but it’s kind of annoying to have to do so.

• Booshi says:

You DO realize you just complained about them not doing/did something you feel is “annoying to have to do so”… right?

16. somnolentsurfer says:

It’s my girlfriend’s birthday. She didn’t ask for NMS.

17. swirlibra says:

Steam shows it releasing in two hours. That’s 12:00pm EST

18. KastaRules says:

I can hardly wait for the Steam REVIEWS to pop up actually.

I already decided I am going to wait for a sale anyway. Hopefully they will have improved the gameplay as well when the the time comes.

19. CaptMyron says:

So then Steam is playing the tease when it shows me the game unlocks at 10 am my time (MST)?

20. OlldWolf says:

Any idea when the launch for Japan is? I have a friend there who is waiting…

21. Loaner says:

These times are wrong. They should say PDT and EDT until November. Also, where’s the love for Central? Throw Mountain a bone while you’re at it.

22. xtwo30 says:

“We’ve brought a new QA team on board today (larger than the entire Hello Games team!). This will complement the existing Sony QA team.”
      Yeah, team from Noida India (because they are cheap) who catch no bugs.. thank you

23. FLyLoRD666 says:

It is 10:08 on the west coast. Where is my copy? Seriously, get your shit together.

24. Lord Knightyme says:

2.5Gb, not as bad as I thought it might be, as i have seen it is a 6Gb game. I guess thats 6Gb installed. Still with Australian ‘broadband’ speeds it is still a few hours of download, at least for me. :/