What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Alice is away moonlighting as a chiptune DJ this week, as well as nobly helping to fill her local public swimming pond with cement in order that it might become a skate park. Hence, it falls to me to pose the question eternal. What the dickens are you going to play this weekend? Pretty sure I can take a good guess, if I’m honest. Here’s what Team RPS is up to. Pretty sure you can take a good guess, if I’m honest.

Adam: [“Hidden Movement for Mr Smith, I’m afraid. After excessive exposure to slow-paced strategy games, Adam has now himself become turn-based, and as such only appears on the site every other week.]
Alec: “I cannot in good conscience offer any opinions here on the latest release from Hello Games, as I wound up doing a bit of writing for the project late in development. I will, however, be playing the thing this weekend, with the primary intention of seeing how many of my lines made it in and how cringe-worthy they are in context. I’ve also got a backlog of STALKER mods I keep meaning to investigate.”
Alice: [Alice is too busy making a Mario-themed Ultra-HD graphics mod with maximum texture filtering for Quake to supply her entry this week.]
Graham: “I will, if I play anything, be playing either No Man’s Sky or Abzu. Both seem to come with caveats but I’m convinced enough by their colourful screenshots to want to spend time at least dicking around with them. If they can give me an excuse to take some pretty screenshots then they will likely satisfy.”
John: “This weekend I shall be playing No Man’s Sky and only No Man’s Sky, in order that you can know whether you should spend your money and time on No Man’s Sky. There is nothing but No Man’s Sky. No food. No family. Just concentrated investigative games journalismising all 18 quintillion planets. No Man’s Sky.”
Philippa: “This weekend I will be playing the game of trying to work out if I’ve dyed my hair properly or not at the back using a system of mirrors. I’ve gone for colouring the under-layer as I wanted to keep a bunch of my natural colour too but it’s impossible to tell if it’s entirely as I wanted it without the ability to switch to third-person view.”

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Disclaimer: I wrote some stuff for No Man’s Sky and so will not discuss the game on RPS myself. The words about it quoted above are those of my colleagues, but please seek other compilations of what games journalists are playing this weekend if you are concerned.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

JiminyJickers says:

Definitely No Man’s Sky. Luckily it is running fine on my machine. Have been playing it all day already, just taking a break and heading back into it.

I also want to replay the recent Dues Ex before the new one comes out, but probably will be lost in NMS.

Godwhacker says:

Same here- works like a charm after setting the FPS to max, turning off v-sync, increasing the FOV and writing down the controls. UI clearly wasn’t designed for the PC but hopefully they’ll patch that too.

• ButteringSundays says:

FPS and Vsync fixed things for me too, had it working with no issue by 6:30! Loving what I’ve seen so far.

Minor correction, the interface is clearly designed for controllers (the system is incidental) – I actually quite like that tbh. Either way I wouldn’t expect that to change, you have to design around one or the other and this is more of a couch-pilot kind of game.

• Geebs says:

You know what, despite all the internet outrage and people getting into a lather about being “lied to”, NMS actually looks almost exactly like that first 2013 trailer in terms of visual quality. In fact, in the context of stuff like the Watch Dogs trailer debacle, NMS had one of the most representative trailers I’ve ever seen.

About 4-5 hours in and I’m actually enjoying the gameplay a heck of a lot more than I thought I would. Came for the procedural generation, then I wound up getting stuck on an ice planet trying to repair a crashed ship and now I’m pretty much hooked.

• aircool says:

Annoyingly the game renders at a lower resolution than the one you set. Also, the filters it uses are bloody horrible… makes it look like you’re playing on a knackered, 1970’s TV.

The game itself seems ok, it’s just the performance, shitty controls and underhand bullshit about specifications and graphics quality that are angering me.

• fish99 says:

I’m not angry about anything, but I don’t feel like putting any serious time into the game until it’s rendering natively and not upscaling.

• Geebs says:

Also: I really rather like the writing in NMS, it’s nicely sardonic and understated. Somebody just violated my cranium, apparently in order to find out why I am so unusually dumb. Thanks, Alec!

melnificent says:

Same here, well in 1h:20m chunks as it crashes after that.

• Fiatil says:

I will be doing the same! The game ran great for me (I7 6700, 980 Ti) even before the borderless window trick (I still have vsync on and am having no problems — get lots of screen tearing with it off), and I’m having a blast going around exploring planets.

I would like to live in a world where this game came out without the massive hype machine behind it. It’s a pretty amazing game if you like sandboxy survival stuff without much guidance; it’s definitely suffering in the review/critic world from being marketed as being all things for all people. I feel like if it were judged on its own merits there would be so much less drama right now.

• poliovaccine says:

Yeah, give it some months or a year and people will be back to happy again. I think it was just soooo anticipated that as soon as it came wobbling into thos world like a glorious newborn giraffe people just pounced on it, ravenous, and then mere seconds later looked down at their hands, seeing only blood and shreds and scraps, and still feeling only hunger, and so they pitch their lungs skyward and curse the gods. It seems like people who expected it to be a whole different reality you could step into and forego this one were disappointed. I think they always will be.

I like gamers for being one of the more intelligent recreational subcultures, as a rule, but my bog it is a world full of ingrates. If we could all just remind ourselves, before penning a rant against the hard work others do for our fun, that any flaws we encounter, no matter how egregious, are deeply, deeply “first-world problems,” frankly *everyone* would be a little happier. I love when people bump their fists on the table about “why do we tolerate launch day bugs??” Simple – because, as launch day recedes into the past, time heals all wounds – and because the other options are to swear off gaming in a huff, or else make your own if you think you can do it better. But all this tripe about the unforgivable disappointment of No Mans Sky is *precisely* why self-identifying as a gamer will automatically get you invited to less social events…

2. Kefren says:

HoMM2 – only three missions left and my 18 year playthrough will be over.

Enjoyed a bit of Dungeon of the Endless.

Started new Thief last night. Some huge irritations (controls, altering stuff from previous games), though I turned off minimap and guides and helpers and am now enjoying the sneaking and looting.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Oof. I feel for you. My mother and I both got to the final mission of Heroes2’s campaign back when it was relatively new, but neither of us ever beat the thing. It’s hard as nails.

Such a great game, though.

• Kefren says:

I actually completed the campaign a decade ago … then there are all the single missions … then the expansions and extra missions bundled with it with GOG, I have to complete each at default difficulty. If I fail I start again.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Yeah, I’m confident that I’ve beaten very nearly all the single scenarios from Heroes 2 – 5 inclusive. There are some I still go back to. Heck, I reinstalled Heroes 2 just recently just to replay… is it Broken Alliance? The map from the demo, anyway. That’s what got me into Heroes all those years ago and I still love that scenario. Despite all that though, I still find Heroes 2’s campaign to be just unreasonably hard, especially toward the end. You impress me, fellow internet person. You impress me a lot.

• Kefren says:

Ha ha, thanks. I just tend to obsess over good games (e.g. Doom and Hexen link to karldrinkwater.uk link to karldrinkwater.uk). Some of the HoMM2 extended missions can be quite a challenge, e.g. THUNK. I kept losing – then I spent a week playing it and had nearly won when the AI teleported over some sea (I hadn’t realised it was possible) and killed the hero that was a fail state so the game was over. I was furious. Then I calmed myself and started again, and didn’t make that mistake again. Won after just five evenings this time. I love the way the game surprises me even now, when I thought I knew all the tricks (e.g. getting the AI to split its forces by letting ti capture a castle, then I retake it, then it does it again, until its army is weak enough to conquer).

3. satan says:

Having a blast in No Man’s Sky, hooked on unlocking more words so I can better communicate with the other races :P

4. phelix says:

No Man’s Sky if I can get it past the logo screen. Gonna do some driver trickery later today and see if that helps things.

5. benjamin says:

I would be playing No Man’s Sky but £40 is far too much for a PC game. So instead it’s Assassin’s Creed Syndicate with maybe a bit of Tomb Raider and an evening of watching the DOTA 2 International finals.

• Bull0 says:

I’ll gladly pay 40 for a game but I have to know what I’m getting and be confident I’m going to have a good time, and Hello have been deliberately vague on the details and had a fairly aggressive review embargo so I’d have to have been born yesterday, really

• ButteringSundays says:

In the world of steam refunds there’s no risk with a preorder.

• Bull0 says:

You make a good point. I haven’t really adopted this yet

AutonomyLost says:

I purchased the game on GOG Galaxy and noticed for the first time that they offer a “30 day money-back guarantee”. I didn’t explore further into it, but on the surface that sounds like an exceedingly generous refund policy. Gladly, I won’t have to be utilizing it, as my experience with NMS has been awesome thus far.

• ButteringSundays says:

I’m enjoying NMS and I’m impatient and impulsive so they got my £40.

It is too expensive though, by most measures. 20-30 would be a much more comfortable price point. I think Sony as publisher is likely the culprit there – do you even get boxed ps4 games that aren’t £45?

6. DanMan says:

Still finishing The Witcher 3 DLC. Haven’t touched B+W yet.

7. Pleasance13 says:

I’m switching back and forth between No Man’s Sky and SpaceEngine. I was really hoping to get my space exploration fix from NMS, but it doesn’t seem to satisfy in that sense as much as i expected it would. It’s almost as if -and god help me for saying this- it’s too full of life. In a universe with 18 quintillion planets, almost all of them (or what I’ve seen, rather) have some form of life. And you never feel like you’ve seen something nobody else has, because there’s always either NPCs or evidence of NPC civilizations that have been there first. So that’s a bit disappointing, from an explorer’s standpoint. I like the game. I like it a lot. I just don’t like it in the way I was hoping to, if that makes sense. So! SpaceEngine will be my space exploration fix. It’s beautiful and barren (but, well, not). And No Man’s Sky will be my fun game fix. I’ll play the two in tandem and hope that one day, someone splits the difference.

• ButteringSundays says:

There’s also not really much space flight, you move between planets/systems/stations much easier. At first I thought this was a shame, but honestly the more I play the more I appreciate not having to sit in super cruise for 15 mins. It is definitely more of an ‘alien world’ explorer though.

And ditto on the life. I’m on a planet with no fauna now, but I agree you never feel like you’re discovering something like in elite. I gather the point is that your the first (human?) to discover the places. Because of how mining and trading work I’m not sure there’ll be ANY systems without a station.

• Zenicetus says:

It’s the resource and crafting grind that makes it essential that there are NPC’s and a galaxy trading gadget everywhere you go.

I think it would have been a better game if at least half the planets had no evidence of other civilization, NPC’s, or sentinels at all, and the resource restrictions and inventory weren’t as tight. Then you could actually freely explore without always going shopping somewhere. Someone should mod that version of the game, if it’s possible.

8. Mephane says:

Overwatch and Stellaris.

Arnvidr says:

Euro Truck Simulator. Yes, the original. Figured I’d finish it up, and I’m now on the last “levels”, so I’ll soon be back to the newer stuff.

10. Morph says:

Fallout 4 which I picked up in a sale and forgot about until last week. There seemed to be a very quick backlash to this if I remember correctly but I’ve somehow found time for 30 hours so far and it’s really good.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I adored Fallout4 and will absolutely go back for a second run. Pretty sure I managed to sink a few dozen hours in last time (As to the reason I stopped, it was my brother’s copy, so yeah, a few dozen hours is pretty impressive). It aint perfect, but it’s fun as hell.

I’m actually planning a return to New Vegas in the next week or so, myself. Then I’ll make the customary monthly offering at my modest shrine of volcanic glass in the hopes that Beth will let Obsidian make another Fallout game.

• diecobros says:

As a lover of all things Falout, I really wish that I could understand people’s fondness of New Vegas. I thought it was hot garbage.

• Kaeoschassis says:

All I can say is I feel for you. Some of my best Fallout memories are attached to that wonderful game, and this is coming from somebody who’s played them all (even tactics).

11. Morcane says:

No Man’s Sky for sure. It’s bloody awesome (although certainly not for everyone…), and I have no problems at all with the PC version. Sucks to see so many people having technical issues with it.

12. Ineptie says:

Atlas Reactor, because this game is awesome and needs to be played more.

13. Fomorian1988 says:

I’d be playing No Man’s Sky as well, except 1) it’s a bit too expensive as is, and 2) I’m not 100% sure I’ll be able to run it at all. So it’s still Overwatch and The Witcher: Blood and Wine for me. Plus, as always, Fallen London.

particlese says:

I finally finished Ori last night, and it was truly great with a dash of wtf: There’s this bit in the last escape sequence where you have to recall the method of escape of escapes past and/or infer the intended method of escape from a subtle hint, both of which I was too thick this time and a couple weeks ago to do. Basically, there were now special lava balls which this time wouldn’t kill you, and you have to exploit them. For better or worse, I hit up Youtube, went “Oh, duh. Seriuosly?!“, and I beat the game literally (not hyperbolic sarcastic literally) 5 seconds after the point at which I had been stuck. -_-

But!! Aside from that one thing which was the very last gamey bit of the game (there’s some token control of a cutscene afterwards), the game was thoroughly awesome. It’s visually and aurally beautiful any way you consider it, the story was full of acknowledged feels (it tripped my manipulativeness alarms, but it did so in an acceptably classy way), and the movement and most interactions were absolute joys. It’s a really difficult game, yet rewardingly so thanks to its controls (I happened to use a gamepad) and its level design, neither of which ever made me feel the game was unfair. (That last bit notwithstanding, of course, but that was ostensibly my fault since it was subtly signposted in multiple ways. I’ll definitely be replaying the game at some point and won’t suffer that again.) Even the oft-loathed escape sequences were something I actually really enjoyed — they impress me as being extremely well-polished (at a guess, because of and despite focused testing), more challenging and cinematic versions of the final moments of Super Metroid. And with the definitive edition, there were a bunch of interaction and visual prototyping reels to watch afterward which I found fascinating.

The short: I highly recommended playing Ori, but only if you like hard games. And don’t forget that you can propel yourself via glowy things.

Undisclaimer: I am receiving neither free Doritos® nor free Mountain Dew® for this comment; just the satisfaction of spreading the good word about Ori to anyone patient enough to read it.

Also: I will probably squeeze in some more Devil Daggers or ESO or something in between shopping, gardening, and hiking this weekend. Maybe some Animated Puzzles, too.

Aitrus says:

“Even the oft-loathed escape sequences were something I actually really enjoyed”

Did you play the Definitive Edition? If so, what difficulty? I believe the default for that version has escape sequences that were toned down from the original default difficulty.

“It tripped my manipulativeness alarms, but it did so in an acceptably classy way”

That’s kind of how I felt about Undertale.

particlese says:

Ohhh, right, I do remember hearing that but had forgotten. I was indeed playing on normal in the definitive edition.

And yeah, I also got that feeling from what little I’ve played of Undertale so far. I’ll get back to it some day, so it’s good to hear it keeps it classy. :)

15. Serenegoose says:

I picked up a copy of doom, which is rather fun, but the FPS (err, frames, not genre) fluctuates a bit sometimes and I’m not quite sure why, since it doesn’t seem to correspond to anything on the map being different. It’s not loading or anything, it just sort of hiccups a bit. It’s not even slow, just enough that I keep noticing it and it’s throwing me.

Still, what’s a weekend without sitting at the computer and incrementally changing video settings until you realise the weekend’s over and you’re still only on level 2.

Herzog says:

So Alice is not here for the WAWAPTW for one time and then Meer comes along and changes the picture?! Scandal I call this!

17. GWOP says:

We better be getting updates on Alice’s Mario-themed Quake mod.

18. Katar says:

I’m playing waiting by the door/standing in the drive for the whole weekend and part of next week hoping Yodel and Amazon Logistics drivers actually turn up and attempt delivery of some parts for my new PC.
    Royal Mail put them to shame by turning at 8am on a Saturday and delivering the CPU. DPD hopefully coming next week with the components that were out of stock.

• LennyLeonardUK says:

Oh how I love/hate that game.

Hate because the wait is excruciating.

And love because the end goal is so magnificent.

A bit like losing your virginity I suppose.

• ButteringSundays says:

I get deliveries from Amazon on Sundays now. It’s like we’re living in the future.

• Katar says:

Amazon have pissed me off a fair bit. Four items ordered from them coming in four different packages on potentially four different days. I highly doubt the Sunday one will happen. I doubt they can be bothered to deliver to rural East Anglia on Sundays.
        I’d be more annoyed if some of the components ordered from elsewhere hadn’t been out of stock and won’t turn up until at the earliest Tuesday.

19. LennyLeonardUK says:

No Man’s Sky for me (hopefully). Despite the lukewarm reviews and the internet talk of it being a bad port I’ve taken the plunge, safe in the knowledge that if I have trouble running it I can at least get a Steam refund.

It ticks a lot of boxes for me in what I look for in a game so I think I’ll be one of those that ultimately gets a lot out of it.

I’m also deep into a semi-addicted state in regards to Overwatch, so more of that.

Rocket League because… it’s Rocket League and it’s Saturday so that’s a no brainer.

And I’m also about 6 levels into Legend Of Grimrock and I’m loving every minute of it, so more of that I guess.

And if there is any time left after all that (and also fitting in a few Premier League games this weekend, c’mon Liverpool!!!), I might try and get a proper game going on Total Warhammer. I love the game but have only managed about 15 hours on it so far.

Damn Overwatch.

• LennyLeonardUK says:

Oh also. I just played Moirai. Trust me, play this game!!!. It’s free on Steam and it only last about 10 minutes, but those 10 minutes will be the most memorable you’ll have all weekend.

Just make sure you go in blind….

• criskywalker says:

Thanks for recommending it. I grabbed it right away and I even if it’s not my cup of tea the investment is minimal!

20. Stellar Duck says:

Probably gonna play some AGEOD game. Bought a bundle with Pride of Nations, To End All Wars, 30 Years War, Civil War 2 and Alea Iacta Est.

£120 worth of games for £7.5. Probably the best bundle I’ve bought yet.

I’ll likely end up putting more hours into CW2 and figure out who to give my extra keys to. I love that game more than is reasonable.

21. Don Reba says:

’ve also got a backlog of STALKER mods I keep meaning to investigate.”

Hope you get around to it!

22. parallax1 says:

Gonna enjoy some GTA 5 Online skirmishing, just a little bit from time to time as playing it too much can get boring. Then in about 10 days I’m hoping Deus Ex will get good reviews, as I’m looking forward to that.

A couple of days after that, Obduction will be released and I’m stoked for that. I know there’s a lot of Myst-hate in RPS, but I chose to ignore all that b.s. :P

23. yogibbear says:

No Man’s Sky. Runs flawlessly here. NFI what is wrong with John and the rest of steam’s PCs.

24. mgardner says:

Will play my first game of Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition! Very giddy.

• Shiloh says:

Nice. I’ve got an Eldritch Horror play through this weekend. Enjoy!

• Josh W says:

I did some of that too, and some No Man’s Sky, I’m feeling very uniform, but I’m enjoying it.

To add some new information, beware of mobs (in the mansions), be very wary indeed.

25. Chorltonwheelie says:

I got Duke Nukem in a bundle so I’ll take that for a spin to see where the hate comes from.
    It’s about time I took the miserable sod in GTA 4 to some sort of conclusion too.
    So it’s “Glutton for Punishment Weekend” here… Well!

26. Killy_V says:

– I’ve sidequests to complete and a boss to finish in Rise of the Tomb Raider

– I’ve started Portal 2, hadn’t touched the game since I finished both SP & coop at launch. It’s so damn awesome

– I’ve dled Max Payne 3, might give it a go this weekend (it’s an extended weekend in France \o/)

– First time yesterday evening I watch a Dota 2 game, I don’t get a clue of what’s happening, but it’s fun to watch. I’ll do it again tonight

– I want to replay Deus Ex HR before MD, but I don’t know if I’ll have the time for this !

AutonomyLost says:

Anytime I read a post wherein Max Payne 3 is mentioned, I feel a compulsion to comment.

I ADORE THAT GAME, and I’m happy for you if it’s going to be the first time you play it. I myself bought it for the first time on Steam this past week (after having already owned and beaten it on XBOX 360 AND the boxed PC version on an older PC build) so I could run through it yet again with my newest components and be able to capture screenshots. I have zero regret. The game is fucking great, full stop.

Enjoy!

27. TheAngriestHobo says:

Gothic 2. I’m currently trying to come up with a way to get away with murdering the arsebag who talked shit about me to the merchants in the marketplace in Khorinis and got me banned. He doesn’t seem to spend a lot of time alone, though, so it’s tricky. Maybe I’ll suckerpunch him and see if I can draw him outside the city walls.

I’m staying away from NMS, as my PC (decent though it is) isn’t up to those specs. Besides, I suspect my money will be better spent on the new Deus Ex. Glad I held off.

Ben King says:

The Long Dark! It’s like a really great epic survival story generator. The 4 stats it uses of cold, exhaustion, thirst, and hunger, are instantly understandable, and just make sense as I explore. You just intuitively KNOW the consequences of having clothes in poor condition, that a -30 degree temperature is as dangerous as a bear, and that lugging a 25 kilo load uphill will be exhausting. Death is constantly around the corner, but when you finally perish it comes for you so very slowly you always have hope that you might pull through. I’m enjoying it in the same way that I enjoyed Miasmata a couple years back- you’ll survive, but only with patience, rational planning in the face of fear and common sense. So DON’T sprint down that steep hill. Obviously you’ll fall on your face.

• floogles says:

Your Miasmata reference convinced me to get this. That game have such a unique exploration experience which has not been matched by any other game. So many little touches that felt like really being outside.

29. Jeroen D Stout says:

Populous: The Beginning. I discovered its still played online and has a fan-made matchmaker. It’s very good fun.

30. fish99 says:

I beat Grimrock 2 this week, it dragged on a bit and the last two bosses were annoying, but it was solid.

Now playing Doom and I’ll be dipping into No Man’s Sky too this weekend. NMS seems to need some work. It seems to be upscaling from a lower res, the FOV slider is lying, and the interface is pretty obtuse, but at least the game is stable and with solid framerates for me.

31. redgore says:

I am returning to Dishonored. I never completed it the first time around and think I will try and do so this time.

32. Ham Solo says:

After refunding that trainwreck of a game “No Man’s Sky” is, I stuck to Dead by Daylight and Arma 3 Apex.

33. malkav11 says:

Definitely NOT No Man’s Sky. I’ve been regarding it with puzzlement trying to see why it’s been so hugely popular ever since it was first revealed. I grant you the screenshots have been very pretty, but between all the reliance on procedural generation (yay, 15 squintillion planets, sure…but they’re all guaranteed to be dull as dirt without human intervention) and the complete absence of any focus on the sort of intricate systems and simulation that might make up for procedural boredom, I entirely failed to see the appeal. And lo and behold, impressions and reviews come out and…the planets are widely suggested to be dull as dirt and repetitive, and the systems shallow and, again, repetitive. Gosh, whoever would have thought? Now, a fair number of people have said they’re enjoying it anyway, and if that’s you, more power to you. But I can’t imagine it would be me. Certainly not $60 worth of enjoyment.

Since I’m feeling a bit under the weather, I may end up just catching up on some television/watching some movies. But if I do play games it will likely be either Hex: Shards of Fate since my farming spree during the Convocation has reignited my desire to expand my collection there and I am incidentally just a few campaign-sourceable cards away from a couple of top-tier Arena farming decks. Worth trying for. Or World of Warcraft, because the pre-Legion event has finally kicked off (although I’ve completely abandoned the idea of getting either the legendary quest or Draenor Pathfinder done before Legion hits). Or possibly Avernum II: Crystal Souls, my non-infinite game on tap for the moment. Well, that or Zero Time Dilemma. As ever, I have far too many games.

34. mukuste says:

I’ve just finished DmC: Devil May Cry on Dante Must Die mode. After previously blowing through MGR:R on Revengeance mode and then the first Castlevania: Lords of Shadow on hard, I’m honestly a bit nonplussed on what to play next. I need more character action games in my life, badly.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Have you played the previous DMCs? I mean I’d assume so, but since you don’t mention ’em I may as well make that suggestion. Both 3 and 4 have excellent special editions and between ’em will keep you busy for… quite a while.

35. Zenicetus says:

I now have 9 hours in No Man’s Sky and I think I have one more hour left in me (and it) before putting it aside. It’s about what I thought it would be, from the posts and reviews I’ve read — a fascinating tech demo with an overlay of boring MMO grinding for resources and crafting.

What will finally kill it for me after playing one more hour, is seeing the exact same sentinel robots and exact same structures on every single goddam planet. There isn’t a single planet that isn’t “populated.” It kills the explorer vibe. Of course it has to be that way, since the game puts such heavy restrictions on inventory space and how fast you use up resources. You’d be stuck on a truly vacant planet, but a vacant planet where it’s just me and the wildlife is what I’d want in this game.

The biomes and terrain also aren’t varied enough once you’ve seen a few. They’re different in small details, but the overall aesthetic is the same whether it’s a tiny moon or a giant planet.

I give it an E for effort. Any game that can grab me for 10 hours is worth the price, I guess.

• Zenicetus says:

Oh, and as for what I’ll be playing the rest of the weekend… probably some Stellaris and some X-Plane in the FSEconomy game, to wash the taste of the horrible atmospheric “flying” in NMS out of my system.

36. Gomer_Pyle says:

I will be playing some Mount & Blade: Warband with the Nova Aetas mod. So far it seems to be at a little bit of a slower pace than most mods (troops seem to be expensive to hire, money harder to make) but it is probably one of the best mods that I have played in terms of features.

Besides that, I may get a bit of Spelunky or DS in this weekend.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I will be flying into that Sky owned by No Mans whatsoever. Last I heard it was owned by a co-op of walruses.

It runs OK. It will generally either sit at 60fps with occasional dips to around 45fps. Which is fine. The game isn’t twitchy or anything so frame rate drops aren’t a big deal. Using the Nvidia control panel actually does seem to help. I haven’t tried turning off V-Sync but my monitor tends to tear a lot if I do.

This is old news, but last weekend I ended up buying The Fall since it was on sale for $1 and a crash in my Bioshock 2 game lost me an hour of game time so I wanted to take a break from that. It’s a really good game. I was surprised by how creative the writing is. Does anyone know of any other quality adventure games that give you a good amount of control over your character? There are lots of point and clickers I’d like to play but I always find myself butting horns with the lack of input in those games.

AutonomyLost says:

I’ll be playing No Man’s Sky and hopefully finishing up the Hearts of Stone DLC for TW3 (finally beat the main campaign!). Then, onto Blood and Wine.

Aitrus says:

I’ve started up my first character from Fallout 4 again, on the hunt for the Eddie Winter tapes, a quest I’ve never done before. Hopefully soon that character will be on the way to Nuka World.

That and Rocket League.

40. Neurotic says:

I’m playing lots and lots of WoW, ahead of the full Legion launch in a few weeks. I will be getting NMS at some point soon, I’m just waiting to hear from my bank manager whether they’ve approved the loan I requested for its purchase.

• Llewyn says:

Complaining about the cost of NMS seems a little churlish if you play WoW. Despite several long breaks I think I’ve spent more on WoW than my current and previous PCs added together.

41. freedomispopular says:

I had to use the SSE4 hack to get No Man’s Sky working on my Phenom II, so my FPS is rather miserable, but it’s stable, so I’m at least able to play it. About 8 hours in, I’m still on my first planet and enjoying myself. I’m figuring the shine will wear off soon once I go to a new planet and do the exact same thing I just did, but I’ve been craving a casual, relaxing game that I can just jump in and out of a little bit every day, and I think this will fit the bill nicely. Especially after they patch it and it’s not running at 10 FPS.

42. Llewyn says:

Hmmm. Couldn’t Pip just get Mr Pip to take lots of photos of the back of her head?

43. pertusaria says:

I’m playing a bit of Lumo, which is 50% off at the mo and is a nice little 3D-ish puzzler / puzzle platformer. I haven’t got far enough to get frustrated yet (and I’m playing with infinite lives), but I’ve heard it gets tricky.

Alfy says:

Go John go, go John go! Feels like the olympics of WIT!

45. PancakeWizard says:

No Man’s Sky for me. It’s not optimised sure, but I think 30-40fps on my 560ti is acceptable. I’m due an upgrade.

46. funky_mollusk says:

All this NMS talk has got me excited about procedurally generated worlds, so I’m playing Dwarf Fortress again.

I’ve already managed to capture a bunch of wild elephants, and I’m currently breeding them and training them for war. Looking forward to seeing what kind of “Fun” situations I can get them into.

Jekadu says:

Seems I’m mostly playing World of Warcraft this weekend. I might also try to get started on Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, and possibly also Quadrilateral Cowboy.

Honestly, though, I’m stressing out way too much about real life projects — looking for a new place to live, selling the old place, preparing for university, rounding up an internship, and some other stuff — to really focus on anything at the moment. I’ll probably just be watching JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure a lot since anime is easy to procrastinate with.

48. criskywalker says:

Rocket League because…
    Wow!
    Wow!
    Wow!
    Always Rocket League!

Maybe some of the new Hearthstone adventure too.

49. JB says:

Rimworld, then probably some more Rimworld. In between playing Rimworld, I’ll hopefully be playing some turns of Alea Jacta Est in a freshly-started PBeM game with a fellow RPSer. If the mood takes me, I may get the wheel and pedals out and fire up Euro Truck Sim 2. And if I ever finish downloading the file for the Stainless Steel mod for Medieval II: Total War, I’ll be playing a multiplayer campaign of that too!

50. Darth Gangrel says:

I’m having one of those weekends where I decided to finish a game this weekend (The Darkness 2), but now I’m already done, so maybe I won’t play anything else on Sunday. We’ll see, I generally take a day or two to digest the experience and wait until I feel like starting something new.

Comment on this story