Enderal, The Huge Skyrim Mod, Is Out Now

A final version of Enderal: The Shards of Order [official site] has been completed and can be downloaded for free now. While ‘Enderal’ sounds like it could be something made by a United States pharmaceutical company, it is actually a massive total conversion mod for Skyrim, not just adding new weapons or turning it into a survival game, but creating a whole new RPG using the raw materials of its parent. A German version was recently released but now you can get it in English. Disgusting, verminous English.

The modders, SureAI, have good form at this sort of thing. They are the same crowd who made Nehrim, a total conversion mod for Oblivion, and this has been called a sequel to that. We’ve already seen glimpses of the Undercity, a subterranean location in this big new continent, and hopefully there are many more handcrafted townships to harass.

The mod itself promises a “dark, psychological storyline” that takes over 30 hours to beat, with a cast of fully-voiced characters, and a revamped progression system that goes back to the experience points of traditional RPGs. While it’s all based on Skyrim’s machinery (you’ll still be swinging your sword by the looks of things), the mechanics have been altered somewhat, and a whole new open world will be there to explore “with its own lore and hand-crafted, detailed and diverse landscapes (desert, heathlands, forests, jungles, mountains and more).”

I’m going to play it this week and report back what I think. It’s been a while since I nearly froze to death. In the mean time, you can grab it yourself by following the instructions on their website.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. dangermouse76 says:

Personally I highly recommend a clean skyrim install before doing this. It ran flawlessly for me like that.Before,not so much.It’s running well so far, the voice acting frankly puts Skyrim to shame.

• Abracadaniel says:

Yeah that’s exactly what i’m doing, also I would never expect great voice acting in a mod, but that just makes it even more impressive.

• brucethemoose says:

Yeah. Voice acting and art are usually the 2 limiting factors behind mods like this, seeing one that has both is pretty amazing.

2. brucethemoose says:

Does anyone recommend any mods to throw in with this?

I have a rather long list of QoL mods, but have no idea which ones would work here.

• Abracadaniel says:

I don’t think there are any mods for this “mod”.

• benkc says:

I’m pretty sure that wasn’t the question — the question is, are things like SkyUI and Frostfall still usable with this total conversion mod? (I can’t imagine it not working with SkyUI, but still.) Obviously mods that modify particular places or NPCs aren’t likely to be relevant or functional, but stuff that alters UI or game mechanics, that’s an important question. I can’t imagine trying to play Skyrim again without the survival mods and a perk overhaul, but I’m guessing that at least the latter is not relevant here.

• Abracadaniel says:

I did a little digging: link to nexusmods.com

• Ishy says:

A decent number of small/unintrusive mods will work — I use skytweak for value tweaks and a death alternative (the gold penalty is especially effective in Enderal, where gold is the currency for most of your skill upgrades), iNeed and a Matter of Time, wildcat combat, a few others.

See this spreadsheet, courtesy of the germans who have had the release version longer. link to docs.google.com

3. theslap says:

Is there some reason this can’t be put on the workshop?

• malkav11 says:

The workshop has limitations on file size, and there are I think also some things workshop mods can’t alter. Both of these are big obstacles to a total conversion.

caff says:

Downloading now. It’s certainly straightforward to install (am using a clean Skyrim install too).

caff says:

My word it’s pretty. Stunning visuals.

caff says:

Ok this is quite a remarkable mod. I’ve tried a few in my time but never a complete overhaul as good as this.

• Ishy says:

It’s uninstall is quite nifty as well, with the backup you can hop between Skyrim with hundreds of mods and Enderal in a minute or two with their launcher.

5. Abracadaniel says:

Does anyone know how to fix the lag? I’m running a high end pc and I can’ even run it on medium without major lag.

• Blad the impaler says:

Maybe go for the barebones d3d9.dll from enbdev.com. You’ll have a bit more control over things. I wouldn’t slather a fancy enb preset over top of everything, though.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Have you got any mods installed? If so turn them all off and try again. There is a list of mode that work with Endereal somewhere in this comments section.

6. Elric666 says:

It’s pretty amazing. I finished the game last week (the German version was already released one month ago), and I spent over one hundred hours on the game. It’s really a fully realized world, comparable to Skyrim in size even though it seems larger in some respects because the terrain is more difficult to navigate.
    The greatest things IMHO are the fantastic landscaping and dungeon design. Every region and every dungeon feels truly unique. Also the main storyline plot is lengthy and interesting.
    Happy adventuring.

7. shagen454 says:

This is exciting! Can’t wait to install.

8. GWOP says:

Endreal is right off the coast of Strangereal.

9. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I cannot bloody wait to play this. I played Nehrim to its epic conclusion, and cannot wait to have a bash at the next chapter.

It’s been said before but I’ll say it again: Bethesda could really learn a thing or two from the modding community, especially SureAI. Skyrim sure is a fun game, with a pretty good story and some nice level design, but SureAI’s skills, especially given they are part time volunteers, is streets ahead of Bethesda. personally I think this is something that is symptomatic across a lot of the game industry – we need PROPER story-tellers. I’ll grant they do exist, but there are so few games with truly decent writing, and believable dialog.

Uncharted is a good example of this; while the story may not exactly be original, the writing is so good it really feels like you’re there with them every step of the way.

I have been banging this drum for a long time, but it’s really important. It’s kind of the final step for video games to be the ultimate form of entertainment. If I could play games that have the caliber of storytelling that say, Game of Thrones (or asoiaf if that’s your thing) has then I would never leave my house ever again.

10. Baboonanza says:

I’ve never agreed with that line of thinking. For me narrative and agency are directly conflicting and any narrative heavy game is therefor a compromise between the two, ensuring that neither can be perfect.

When I play a game I want agency, and more often than not narrative just gets in the way. There are exceptions of course but in those cases the gameplay has been so cut back that you wonder if the story wouldn’t have been better told in a non-interactive medium to begin with.

The peak of narrative excellence is the written word, even TV and movies come a distant second (though obviously they have their own strengths) and I can’t see games ever coming anywhere close. IMO games should let players tell their own stories and give up on the idea of forcing pre-built stories into a medium unsuited to it.

• Baboonanza says:

Oops. That was directed at Capt. Bumchum :(

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I see what you mean, but I don’t think there needs to be a distinction between agency and narrative. Bioshock told a story with no (apart from beginning and end) detachment from the gameplay, as did half life, as did the Arkham games to a lesser extent. Also there are plenty of other ways that narrative can be delivered without interrupting gameplay and making you sit and watch.

I’ll use Uncharted again as an example. While I do appreciate it has movie style cutscenes and such, a lot of narrative is also delivered during gameplay, with interactions happening fluidly between characters as the ‘physical’ progression is happening. Things like whatever-the-main character’s name telling his friend sully he has a nice ass as he climbs a rock face before him. Funny stuff, but importantly delivered character development; we see an insight into the characters’ interactions with one another.

I know that the written word is the best narrative, but I also know why (apart from the joy of using your own imagination, but that’s not what we’re talking about here): books can give you a unique perspective on character development by telling you what a character is thinking as well as what they’re saying, which tells us a hundred times more than just a conversation can. Games can do this too though – just because it hasn’t been executed very imaginatively it doesn’t mean it isn’t possible. It’s important to remember that video games are a really young medium. Books have been around for a dozen millennia or so, we’ve had a long time to discover the best way to deliver narrative and express ourselves with them.

Also I must end with vehemently disagreeing with emergent gameplay and stories by and large. I like the idea of open ended gameplay, SOMETIMES. But Christ alive, half the stuff we see attempting to give us that these days is utter horseshit. Dwarf Fortress and the DF-likes such as RimWorld and Prison Architect are the only games
      That come close to achieving that in any kind of satisfactory way. At least in my unhumble opinion, anyway :)

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Sorry, I’d like to make an amendment to my horrible guess of a dozen millenia. About 5000-6000 years would probably be a better guess.

• Urthman says:

Bioshock, Half-Life, and the Arkham games are great gaming experiences, but as stories, they aren’t even as good as a mediocre B-grade movie.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Im not really talking about the quality of the story. You could break down the plot of 90% books, tv shows and movies that have been released in the last 20 years and they would all be trite and bland. What I’m getting at is the delivery of the narrative. The stories in the above mentioned games is delivered well, and unobtrusively. I’m not missing good stories in games; the hero’s journey has been covered a million times and is nothing new. What I’m missing is narrative delivered fluidly with strong voice acting.

• SanguineAngel says:

I think I disagree with you at the core. I’d agree that in general there are very few, if any, games that really carry off the two well but I’d say that this is because developers and publishers don’t often see much reason to invest heavily in both commercially or creatively.

It’s rare for both to take centre stage at the same time but I firmly believe that with some lateral thinking and significant resource investment it is entirely possible to create a game with a narrative that is compelling, well told and flexible enough to accommodate broad player agency.

• criskywalker says:

Games like No Truce with the Furies show some interesting ideas for storytelling in games. Also Lucasarts classic adventures showed that games definitely CAN have good stories. The problem is that developers don’t want to pay good writers.