The Burpiest Place On Earth: Fallout 4 Visits Nuka World On The 30th

Level design has a lot in common with theme park design. They use similar tricks to guide and lure visitors, tell stories with the world, reward visitors, conceal flaws and boundaries, reveal surprises… heck, go watch Scott Rogers’ GDC talk Everything I Learned About Level Design I Learned from Disneyland. But what has Fallout 4 [official site] learned from Disneyland about building an actual theme park? We’ll see on August 30th, as Bethesda have announced that’s when the Nuka World expansion will launch with a new fizzypop Disneyland copycat. Have a look in this new trailer:

Some parts of that are very clearly Disney, aren’t they? Certain rides and attractions there are mighty Mousey. Not that I object – it’d be nice to ride Space Mountain over and over without queuing.

The DLC will add Nuka World as a new place to visit, a raider city with rides to ride and trouble to cause. “Lead lethal gangs of Raiders and use them to conquer settlements, bending the Commonwealth to your will,” say Bethesda in their marketing blurb. Also new weapons and enemies and quests and all that.

Nuka World will cost £14.99/14,99€/$19.99 on its lonesome or comes as part of the £39.99/49,99€/$49.99 DLC Season Pass. Most of the other DLC is a bit boring, with Far Harbor probably the best of it. Nuka World is due to be the final Fallout 4 DLC.

You know, I think you might really enjoy these six thousand words about the awkward architecture and decoration of the transitions between zones at Disneyland.

From this site

caff says:

Looks entertaining. I went from finding Fallout 4 a bit “meh” at the start to rather wonderful by the end (140 hours+). Am just getting started on Far Harbor and I’ll probably pick this up.

• Geebs says:

I kind of had the opposite trajectory – I started out enjoying it and then the plot broke for me when I went to the place with the guy I was looking for, and simultaneously noticed that settlements are just a money-sink and I’ve not been back.

Bethesda really need to have some sort of restraining order taken out against them obsessing over tiny bits of the original Fallout and their own stuff and blowing them up as if they were a thing and they kind of were a thing but now they’ve been done to death – like Nuka Cola and all of the Vault Tec stuff. By this stage it’s like your dad is still bringing up that time you went on holiday and you were six and you wouldn’t wear anything but that one jumper with the bears on it and like stop it dad I’m an adult now I don’t even

• dystome says:

I just started my second playthrough and I’m finding it a lot more entertaining now I understand everything from the outset.

A lot of the mission dialogues could do with a little aside that says, “We’re making this sound vital for narrative purposes but really you needn’t care in the slightest.”

• jj2112 says:

I don’t get the hate for this game, I think it’s better than FO3 and on par with NV. Maybe it’s because I’ve started playing recently on Survival.

• mrbright01 says:

I can explain it as coming from two sources:

1) This is the internet, and RPS as well. I love this website, but the community can be a little sour grapes.

2) It’s not Fallout: Van Buren. It’s not the fallout little Jimmy wanted after Fallout 2. They went through the bitter times of BoS (PC top down and *shudder* Console FPS), and then Fallout 3 happened, and it was… a FPS. Little Jimmy’s heart was crushed, and he grew into the bitter middle aged person who hates FO4 for not being F:NV or FO2.

I don’t judge FO4 against FO2. I judge it against two things, Fallout 3/NV, and modern FPS games. For me, FO4 wins in that comparison. The setting is a nice change from the norm, the details are often well done (the entire Vim/Nuka competition thing had me amused during Far Harbor), and the shooting is acceptable without the “skill point” system of FO3 making for some silly things. F:NV is an incredible game, but it is also much more scripted than FO4, and I enjoy that I can wander into a location and almost always immediately launch into the local story, without having to double back because the minions of Caesar don’t appear until you do X.

For me, FO4 is a high mark in open world exploration. Yes, it has flaws. But those flaws are nothing so massive in my eyes to explain the excess hate this gets.

Nuka-cola and Vault-tech are SUPPOSED to be massively prevalent. Welcome to America, circa 1950, where Disney was king and people were being flooded with product identity. You don’t smoke “cigarettes”. You smoke Chesterfields! It’s one of the reasons I like the game, it captures that vibe wonderfully.

2. INCSlayer says:

August 30? but that is Legion Day so fallout is gonna have to wait

3. Moonracer says:

I wonder if Bethesda are conscious of and have put more effort into this after so many people have complained about the Season Pass being so lacking?

Personally I will be happy if Nuka World is as good as Far Harbor, but a lot of people have been far more critical.

• grundus says:

That’s unlikely since they raised the price of the season pass because of this DLC, or so I’m told.

4. badmothergamer says:

I quit FO4 after ~60 hours and hitting the main plot reveal. I was holding out hope once all the DLC was released at least one of them would entice me to try again but after seeing this is the final piece I feel burned on the Season Pass. I was hesitant to pick it up anyway but grabbed it before the price increase. Now I feel like I paid $30 for Far Harbor and some mods.

As a Bethesda fanboy I hope they do much better next time. FO4 from start to finish has been a disappointment to me.

5. Jaybird says:

I think that the park reminds me a bit more of Hershey Park than Disneyland, mainly because of the location of it (Northeast US), and the large amount of product whoring it gives.

• Jetsetlemming says:

Plus with the smaller scale, Hershey Park is actually a good catch.

6. Nevard says:

It was already weird on Fallout how most raiders just seem to be aimless monsters who kill everyone for fun rather than stealing and raiding to supply some kind of community (what’s the point of murdering farmers if you are not also growing your own food?) and this looks like it will only make it worse.

7. TamyKnockers says:

Would be nice to have a finished game and get past all the dlc and updates so the modders can do there thing and the f4se will work again.Fallout 4 is a short jump to being number four on the nexus,cheers modders and Bethesda for making us a game to rip apart and make our own game.