Overwatch Is Heading To Germany In A New Map

The heroes of Overwatch [official site] will be pummeling each other to bits in a German castle, Blizzard revealed today at Gamescom. The new map is called Eichenwalde, which the internet tells me is the word for “Oakwood”. You can see a short preview of it (sans heroes) in this trailer they released, full of deserted streets and big wooden doors and intriguing throne rooms full of giant dead men with spikey weapons.

It’s set to be both an assault and an escort map, with one team escorting a battering ram into the castle to reach the throne room, and the other putting up their defence, probably with six Torbjorn’s. There’s some of the universe’s silly lore included, as this was the site of a famous battle between omnics (Overwatch’s robot dudes) and humans. That’s why there are so many robo-cadavers littering the alleys and cobblestones.

The revelation of the castle also confirms suspicions long held by Reddit data-miners, who have scoured the game files to discover voice lines and other tidbits. One of them discovered this line, delivered by Reinhardt, a month ago. “This is no castle,” he says, “it’s a tomb.” Which makes sense considering the sight of that big dead guy in the throne room.

This won’t be the last bit of Overwatch news this week, unsurprisingly. There’s also a short for the hero Bastion coming out on Thursday, and probably more details about exactly when this map will become available. So look forward to that.

From this site

1. haldolium says:

Japanese companies have lot more fine feeling for using German language. Eichenwalde… really?

• Fry says:

Blizzard is Japanese? This is news.

• hernique says:

I belive he’s saying that japanese companies have “more fine feeling” whereas Blizzard don’t; I assume he thought Eichenwald is a bad name, but I couldn’t know why.

• unacom says:

As long as they didn´t mistake it for Buchenwalde (common beech). That might have struck some bad chords.

• Miskav says:

Eichenwalde is correct….

• Medo says:

Eichenwalde sounds fine to me as a native German. It is clearly not a plain description but the name of the city, since in modern German an oak forest would be called “Eichenwald”.

I’m not 100% sure where the -e comes from but my guess is that it’s the old-fashioned Dative form, probably suggesting that the city name arose from something like “Am Eichenwalde” (at the oak forest).

There seems to be no actual city of that name, but there is one called Eichwalde.

tl;dr: This is much better than the use of “Altstadt” in Amnesia…

• baozi says:

Japanese companies, really? You can encounter misunderstood and mangled German all the time in Japanese comics.

2. Thankmar says:

Eichenwald(e) would be more like Oak Forest, Oakwood being more Eichenholz, the actual wood of the trees. But it is possible to use Holz (wood) as Forest, but its much more uncommon than it is in english. But these are impressions of a layman, I’m no expert in languages.

• JFS says:

The suffix -wood does not only mean lumber, but also forest. Both are possible. The same goes for the German words. However, Holz rarely means forest, and if it does, it’s usually Gehölz. As proper words, at least, with location names it’s basically the other way round.

Anyway. Eichenwalde can easily and correctly be translated as Oakwood. Or Oakenwood. Or Oakforest. Or anything along those lines. Thing is, “Eichenwalde” sounds decidedly East German (former GDR). West German cities do not really end with wald-e. It’s the added -e. So Eichenwalde is maybe a bit of a post-socialist name… for a fantasy village. Somewhat out of place.

• Okami says:

Just because a city lies on the territory of the former GDR doesn’t make it’s name socialist (or post-socialist, whatever that is supposed to mean in this context). People lived in east germany before the wall was built and cities like Fürstenwald go back to the 13th century. Your logic is a bit flawed.

• JFS says:

Oh come on. Of course. But still, what do people today associate with Eastern Germany? The DDR. Same goes for the names. If I throw the word “Dresden” out, do you think anyone’s gonna reply “Oh yeah, August der Starke” – no. You’ll get Pegida and Ossis.

• jroger says:

Keep in mind that there is a real city called Eichwalde in Brandenburg.

3. CMvan46 says:

I have to say I was skeptical of the loot boxes in the beginning being in a paid game but if that’s what is allowing free maps and characters after release then I’m starting to become perfectly okay with that business model.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

I don’t think anyone has a problem with the loot boxes existing, it’s the randomisation. You’re paying for the (fairly small) chance of getting something you actually want.

Aitrus says:

Then don’t pay?

• Rindan says:

Seriously. I see “buy loot box” and my brain immediately translates it to “donate money to Blizzard”. If you buy loot boxes, god bless for keeping the servers running, but I think you are nuts.

4. Kido says:

0:16 in the video.
    Blizzard. Go home. You’re drunk.
    You can’t put two Einbahnweg-Signs (one-way lanes) on the same street, pointing in both directions. That defeats the purpose of those signs.

• Heavenfall says:

No entry. No leaving.

Syt says:

I’ve seen this occasionally on T-intersections. Granted, doesn’t look like a T here.

• jroger says:

The signs look pretty random to me. There is also a “playing street” sign right below the “no-entry” sign. And both are right in front of a closed gate …

Grizzly says:

Aah, this is just what they needed. One of the reasons why I only ocasionally dip into overwatch is the sense that every session is more or less identical: Only the order of the maps changes. It quickly gets repetive. This is just the thing to shake up the order. It made casual play a bit boring in the long run, and season 1 of competetive mode was mediocre.

6. Kohlrabi says:

So, why is Eichenwalde full of Fir trees?

7. shagen454 says:

I’ve been enjoying this game a lot more since the competitive mode was released. The players are a lot better and makes the game feel a lot tighter… no two games are exactly the same when you’re playing with people who are decent at the game.

But, damn… I really wish Blizzard would release an old school single-player level-to-level campaign for this game. I also wish they would hurry up with Warcraft 4 with an immense single-player campaign. They’ve focused so much on multiplayer gaming lately since that is where the money is at….

8. Uberwolfe says:

Cool! looking forward to it.

9. Poor People says:

Is there a way to filter out articles with the Overwatch tag? I have no interest in the game, but the coverage has been incessant.

oWn4g3 says:

It’s pretty easy in fact. If you spot “Overwatch” in the title, just keep scrolling.

• unacom says:

I usually do exactly this. Works fine for me.

But today I got drawn in by the promise of wonderfully cliché blackforest-themed teutonic villages. They did however miss to randomly place some 1960s bank or drugstore in there. Every german village has at least one gem of 1960s urbanism tucked away somewhere.

10. ShaunOfTheFuzz says:

Mike Patton approves this article.

11. CiiiiTv says:

Reinhardt’s line is a refrence to lord of the rings where Boromir says: “this is not a mine…this is a tomb” when they entered the mines of moria ;)