BioShock, Firewatch, Dishonored & More: How Well Do Non VR Games Work In VR?

I’ve got two VR headsets in my inappropriately small home, and I spend more time feeling guilty that I’m not using them than I do using them. Conceptually I love the tech, and I sporadically have a fine time with ‘experiences’ – i.e. virtual tourism to real or made-up places – when it comes to games-games I’m yet to get all that much out of it. But what about non-VR games rendered after-the-fact in VR? Could this be the full-fat virtual reality gaming I’d imagined when these headsets were first announced?

I haven’t got on well with most of the VR-specific titles I’ve tried to date. I fear I’m simply too pre-disposed to want ‘traditional’ games, whatever the hell that means – longer experiences with relatively complicated and precise controls and probably far too much story. The VR games sub-industry, for entirely understandable health reasons, does not overly encourage long-form gaming, but by and large it’s also still at the stage where it’s focused more on visual wow than on best-possible-gaming. It’s also preoccupied with accessibility to a certain extent – using a mouse and keyboard effectively blind is a tall order for a great many people. But for superhumans such as I, capable of the unthinkable feat of remembering where the buttons on my keyboard are after 25 years of using one almost daily, the absence of ‘proper’ games is felt keenly.

This is where Vorpx comes in. It’s a paid product, I’m afraid, but it supports both Oculus Rift and HTC Vive (though the latter only very recently, and not as robustly). There are other applications like it, and there will be more yet to come, but this is the one I have used because a) its selection of supported games so far seemed decent b) I bought it in beta last year for my (now-sold) Oculus DK2 and was curious about how well it supported consumer hardware. Basically, Vorpx retrofits standard games for VR. In some cases it’s not doing too much more than rendering them as a big wraparound screen, in others it’s full on mega-scale, head-tracked 3D, almost as if it were made for VR in the first place. Here are a few cases studies, and with it thoughts on whether playing Full Fat Games this way is successful or worthwhile.

Mirror’s Edge VR

On paper, it’s an ideal game. Striking colours and scale, all the better to tickle vertigo glands and make skylines pop rather than devolve into a mess of big-pixelled muddy detail. It’s also quite a few years’ old, so a modern GPU shouldn’t be unduly taxed by trying to render the image twice at once. In practice, my card (a borrowed AMD R9 Nano) struggled with it far more than it did Firewatch or BioShock. But the lack of a speedy framerate was a distantly secondary concern to how overwhelming nauseous I felt. The city looks beautiful, and remarkably tangible as I clamber over roofs and along ledges, but Faith’s rapid rolling, sliding and tumbling is exactly the kind of sudden movement that dedicated VR gaming consciously steers clear of. A great shame, because conceptually Mirror’s Edge + VR sounds a natural fit, but no dice (no pun intended) until VR’s motion sickness issue is entirely eradicated.

Proteus VR

Ed Key and David Kanaga’s escapist wunderkind isn’t officially supported by Vorpx, and given it’s not really 3D as we know it, I wasn’t expecting great things. Hot damn did I want to try though – Proteus is a calm and happy place I escape to often, and I dream of seeing those pastel trees at true tree height. With a bit of settings tinkering, it nearly worked, and at the very least I could get head-tracking in a vast cinema-like display working, but between various glitches and the consumer headsets’ image quality issues, Proteus VR simply wasn’t as stunning as Proteus on a large flat-screen.

Bioshock VR

The jewel in the unofficial VR crown. Absolutely made for it, honestly. The claustrophobia, the towering architecture, and most of all that introductory sequence. Also, it’s impossible to believe that bathysphere scenes were not made with VR in mind – that sense of being contained and trapped within a small space performing an impossible feat… The horror of BioShock works well this way too – long shadows, something moving in the dark, flickering lights, the shudder of an approaching Daddy. It’s far, far spookier at this scale. Even the inevitable headache/sickness of VR felt more like I was roleplaying Jack than suffering the ill-effects of stuffing my face into future-tech. I had to make quite a few settings compromises to get BioShock running well, however, and this is even before the flashier Remastered version arrives.

Firewatch VR

Another one of my Dream VR games – to be in that forest, seeing those skies and watching those sunsets – and I’m very happy to discover that it works, start to finish. The 3D effect is dialled down as it doesn’t work well with the best effect ‘geometry 3D’ setting, plus Henry’s arms end up sticking straight forwards at all times due, I think, to a combination of an overclocked FOV and look controls being mapped to head tracking. A passing trouble, though. It is truly lovely to just gaze around the forest. This was also the retrofitted game in which I most noticed the audio – something about being boots on the ground made it sound/seem so much more positional and enveloping. The fireworks near the start were particular effective for this – a real sense that they were over my head, not simply at the top of a screen.

Dishonored VR

I’m here for the city, obviously. The UI didn’t fit VR cleanly so actually playing the thing was a struggle (something like Firewatch or even BioShock, where on-screen elements are minimal and so reduced peripheral vision isn’t quite such an issue, suits this better), and as expected performance was something of an issue, but to gaze at those Antonovian structures as if walking among them was a beautiful thing.

IN CONCLUSION, would I play an actual honest-to-god, start-to-finish videogame like this? Well, it’s complicated. Depends on the game, mostly, but even then – it’s more about trying a game out in VR than playing it through. To clarify: I don’t particularly wish to play all of or even the majority of BioShock in VR. Partly because of discomfort, partly because I’m doomed to have low or jerky framerates until such time as I pick up a ridiculously high-end graphics card, partly because I’d be repeating myself even despite the wonderland look. What I do want to do is see Rapture in VR, in the manner of a tourist finally visiting somewhere he’s seen and admired in the movies, to know how it looks, how it feels, how it sounds, how it might be were it real.

I have a list of places I want to do that with. Pripyat. Yaughton. Vvardenfell. Bloodlines’ Los Angeles. The kind of places I can close my eyes and conjure scenes of any time. I just want to visit. And, with Vorpx and others like it, I shall continue to do so. The effect is spectacular, when it works, to the point that I have true disbelief that most of these games were made without even the slightest suspicion that they would ever be seen this way. I do not, however, expect to spend more than an hour in each.

Because otherwise I will be throwing up into bucket and trying to splutter “but the bathyspheres, man, the bathyspheres” in between retches. Welcome to the future.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

So, if an R9 Nano doesn’t run anything comfortably, the majority of us with 970s or the like are stuffed, then?

I’ll come back in five years.

• Pizzzahut says:

ATi’s struggle to run Minecraft let alone actual, proper modern games.

• Sakkura says:

The last ATI cards are from like 2010, so no wonder. But AMD cards work just fine.

• Raoul Duke says:

Assuming you mean AMDs, my R9 290 comfortably runs most things at 1440p/60fps on high/ultra settings, and my r9 380 isn’t far behind it (and is virtually silent).

Lars Westergren says:

I haven’t tried VorpX (I want to now though) but most Vive titles worked fine with my 970. The Lab was smooth as butter. Some stuttering when turning my head in Brookhaven though.

• Stedios says:

Don’t bother it’s awful for the Vive, waste of money, Fallout 4 works best but you won’t want to play it for more than five minutes.

• Cinek says:

VR works much better with nVidia cards than it does with AMD.

• CdrJameson says:

My GeForce GTX 750 runs Elite: Dangerous and Apollo 11 fine on the Oculus DK2. This is a video card that is at least two years old, and can be easily picked up for less than £100.

Mind you, I’m quite short-sighted which gives a good level of full screen anti-aliasing for free.

2. GenialityOfEvil says:

I wonder if the old Medal of Honor games would work with VorpX. Allied Assault does a decent job of showing the carnage of Omaha beach (Frontline is arguably better but no chance VR would work on an emulation), experiencing that in VR would be truly exceptional.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

“Allied Assault does a decent job of showing the carnage of Omaha beach”

I used to think that, played it recently, it doesn’t.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

Well obviously not in terms of scale, it was released 14 years ago.

• w0bbl3r says:

I bought and played it on GoG recently, and honestly, with new hardware it doesn’t seem to render the full draw distance.
          I remember when I got it on release my PC was at minimum spec, while my friend’s was above recommended.
          I noticed on his machine that from starting the level in the landing craft you could see fog on the horizon but also see the bunkers with tracer fire coming out of them, but on my system it was just fog, and the bunker didn’t appear until I was almost ready to leave the landing craft.
          On my modern system (obviously well above spec), I had the same issue; can’t see anything in the distance until you are almost upon it.

There are also far fewer men on the beach, the explosions seem smaller and come less often, and there is far less debris blown up by the shells hitting the sand.

It’s a shame, but not entirely unexpected after all these years. It seems the game, no recognising the hardware, defaults to thinking you aren’t quite up to spec.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

Hmm, never had that problem. I’ve got it on GOG too. Try editing the unnamedsoldier.cfg then setting it to read-only.

seta r_lodviewmodelcap “1.0”
            seta r_lodcap “1.0”
            seta r_lodscale “1.1”

3. seroto9 says:

The only game that I play for long periods is Elite Dangerous – probably the first ‘full’ game that was designed was VR in mind. Never get sick, but I’m often awe-struck.

• Walsh says:

I find I never get sick from space ship games but when there’s a lot of sliding movement or even a lot of teleporting in some of the others really mess with my noggin and stomach.

• Stedios says:

Yes Elite is best but it’s not Vorpx, Euro truck works well but is let down by the engine, It don’t look good close up.

• Cinek says:

Shame that Elite looks like shit with Vive (they got some broken aliasing, or whatever).

4. grimdanfango says:

This still seems to be perpetuating the myth that the motion sickness caused by such experiences is somehow the fault of the hardware.
    1st-person movement that is dissociated from what your body is feeling will make you sick. It has little to do with VR headset limitations, and a lot to do with people being convinced 1st-person shooters are a perfect fit for VR, in spite of the near-insurmountable basic incompatibility.

Imagine if you were strapped to the back of someone who darted smoothly around the world at a constant brisk running pace without ever tiring, and could start, stop and spin 180-degrees so abrubtly they were seemingly unaffected by the laws of inertia.
    You would get very sick, very quickly.

This is why racing sim games *don’t* typically cause much sickness in VR, despite having you fling yourself round a track at high speeds in a racing car… they’re built from the ground up to very accurately mirror the laws of physics, so they’re a perfect natural fit for VR.

1st person shooter movement mechanics have never troubled themselves with realism… they’ve been iterated on over decades to provide a very direct, fast-paced and precise experience that in no way comes close to reality.

Take Arma 3 – an attempt to very loosely approximate the physical capabilities of very fit, highly trained soldiers, and even then making plenty of concessions so it doesn’t literally take 24 hours to walk across a map. It feels slow and lumbering compared to most shooters… and it’s frustrating when the guy runs out of breath every time you attempt to quickly jog up the side of a mountain.

About the only way that FPS games will work well in VR is if they manage to perfect the Infinadeck-type omni-directional treadmill design… and they’ll still probably have to reduce the scope compared to most typical FPS games, as people simply won’t want to walk that damn far! :-P

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Very good points, of course.

• ooshp says:

Wow, what? That’s giant wall of… something?

• SingularityParadigm says:

It is a giant wall of hard truth is what it is.

• Fiatil says:

Way to brag about not wanting to read anything longer than a sentence?

• geldonyetich says:

Very good points.

Speaking for myself:
      * VR is too expensive for one game to be worth the purchase.

* Honestly, I should embrace exercise, so a treadmill or some other kind of walking device would be great.

Skyrim VR would be great if it was possible.

• Fiatil says:

It’s possible, and exists with VorpX, but it’s not really a clean enough of a transition for me to spend lots of time with it. If you care to finnick with the settings in VorpX it can apparently run quite nicely, but I always wind up playing made-for-VR stuff after messing around with it for a bit.

particlese says:

Imagine if you were strapped to the front bumper of a supercar in VR. From what I’ve read, you’ll be a lot more prone to getting sick. I say it that way because I rarely and only mildly get sick from VR, but I’ve read in a number of places (articles, dev blogs/interviews, probably Oculus’s best practices guide, …) that cockpits are a major component of preventing sickness because of the stable visual element, and it makes sense. If you’re not accelerating in real life, and the dominant visual cue for your brain is also not accelerating, you’ll be in good shape. Remove that cue, and it’s the same as riding piggyback on Mr. Quake using a gamepad. Cockpits aren’t going to be a magic fix, but they help. And don’t discredit your racing sims: unless it’s Geriatric Walker Simulator, expensive mobilizing devices can accelerate (stop, go, turn) hard. :)

Also, “hardware” can definitely be to blame for sickness. Tracking rates are more or less already high enough to keep most brains happy, but then you have the delay between tracking and displaying the world appropriately. Drivers/APIs for the headsets (or the games themselves, if the devs are feeling saucy) try to predict how your head will be oriented and positioned when a rendered frame is shown to your eyeballs, but it’s not perfect. It is quite good on the leading hardware, to be fair, though. The biggest problem I’ve personally experienced seems to be more directly related to tracking inaccuracies and correcting the resulting position/orientation errors when I was keeping my head very still. You could say those are really software problems, but they’re pretty closely related to the hardware.

particlese says:

*hopes that’s taken as respectful counterpoint and provoking of further thought rather than an argument, because it’s a terribly constructed argument if it is one*

Darn you RPS comments for being read-/response-worthy! I’m going to bed now. @_@

• Janichsan says:

Also, “hardware” can definitely be to blame for sickness. Tracking rates …

It’s one factor, but neither the only nor the most important one. Grimdanfango is absolutely correct: as long as there’s a dissociation between the movement perceived with the eyes and the equilibrium organ, VR will always have to fight with the problem of motion sickness. Maybe not for everyone, but for many.

particlese says:

Yeah, I agree — both factors are partly to blame. Thanks for clarifying.

In my head, there was and is an implied “can sometimes be to blame” in that sentence, but now you’ve pointed it out, I see how it could easily sound more like “can always be blamed”.

• Bishop51 says:

Have you played “Call of the Starseed” yet? It was bundled with the HTC Vive recently. Bottom line is that several core game design tenants are radically changed by Virtual Reality, and if those new rules aren’t followed the experience falls down flat on its face…hard.

There’s some great early stuff out there but you’ve got to patient enough to find it, play it, and see it for what it is :)

• w0bbl3r says:

You could have just said “despite whatever hardware they use, when your head thinks you’re moving and/or turning rapidly when in fact your body is stationary, tummy doesn’t like it”

• Ichi_1 says:

That’s not quite the reason why people get VR sickness.

It isn’t because of the unrealistic physics, it’s because of the disparity between vision and inner ear.

Racing games work for the same reason space fighting games do; because the cockpit acts as a static environment that allows the brain to recognise that you aren’t moving, the vehicle is.

5. Wulfram says:

Gosh, Mirror’s Edge can make me a bit queasy on a normal screen.

• Runty McTall says:

Yes, owning a Vive I always thought that Mirror’s Edge would be amongst the worst possible games to play in VR, from a nausea perspective.

• DeadlyAccurate says:

Yeah, I couldn’t make it 10 minutes before I had to uninstall it, and I play a lot of first person shooters. Just the thought of Mirror’s Edge in VR is enough to make me queasy.

6. racccoon says:

Vr’s a waste of time and a bad abuse of your eyesight.
    I just received news of a 4 yr old family member whom has been using tablets and phones for amusement since he was 1. and his eyesight has been effected by these technologies. I think there needs to be a massive curb on use for younger people. VR would only make things worse in the way peoples eyesight diminishes. So you can put VR in the bin as one of the worst things to use for your precious eyesight.

• PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

Don’t hold books too close when reading either. And don’t sit too close to, or far away from the telly either. And remember to eat a carrot every time you masturbate.

• snesbeck says:

Ah, the old carrot every time you masturbate trick.

particlese says:

Oh, that is clever — blindness countered by improved eyesight. Time to go grocery shopping!

• Sakkura says:

More luddite FUD, great.

VR does not hurt your eyesight. Using tablets and phones is much worse, because those are used very close to your eyes without any lenses. So your eyes are straining to focus. VR headsets have the screens even closer to your eyes, BUT they use lenses to make them optically equivalent to screens at a much greater distance. Even watching TV strains the eyes much more than that, and I should hope we’re finally over the “oh noes TV will ruin everything, THINK OF THE CHILDREN” panic.

However, VR still isn’t for younger children, certainly not age 4. Oculus cites an age limit of 13, by which time the human visual system, including the brain’s visual processing, is mostly fully developed.

These headsets wouldn’t fit a 4-year old anyway.

particlese says:

Out of curiosity, how was the device use identified/justified as the cause of the eyesight problems? I definitely believe it can be as real a problem as any other excess, but I’m curious about how the conclusions were reached, especially since smartphones and whatnot are new enough that I wouldn’t expect there to be a lot of precedence yet. I could totally be wrong there…I haven’t looked into it myself, hence my curiosity.

• fuggles says:

Screen time generally is bad for young children but not heard it explicitly before.

Google suggests this:
        link to

But yeah, I’ve naturally defended my brood through my inability to afford vr, but I doubt it’s great for nippers.

• Sakkura says:

I love the part where the article talks about liquid crystal diodes. Which is obviously not what LCD means. Also this thing about switching from LCD to LED… when in fact all LED monitors are LCDs.

particlese says:

I love the part where the entire article is predicated on “blue light is bad” and then they’re like “go outside”. Because there is almost no blue light outside, and where there is, it’s much less intense than a cell phone’s, and pupil dilation takes care of any excess if the wavelengths are natural. Actually, that was lies, sorry. In reality, a study has shown that kids began wearing yellowed sunglasses back in the 1700s, back when the sun first started to burn that stuff you sprinkle in the fireplace to turn the flames blue and green, and they all came out fine, so we need to refresh that tradition and expand its scope.

Ah, stuff it, I’ll just stick the kids in a box covered in blackout cloth whenever I go to the shore, and then shine infrared lasers in their eyes because it’s therapeutic.

And…slightly less sarcastically, I did like that the article pointed out who commissioned some research they referenced. And I did like a pair of BluBlockers I once borrowed for outdoor shenanigans. There was indeed less eye strain had that day, compared to completely naked eyeballs. Also, I got a disturbed chuckle out of the article, but a chuckle’s a chuckle. Cheers, Google.

(Note: Despite the sarcasm, I totally agree with the “limit screen time” sentiment, but that blue light stuff is…while perhaps technically correct in spots, completely lacking in perspective. Thanks for being less lazy than I on the info seeking front, though, fuggles!)

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Probably the usual media study way, by ignoring everything except the part that proves your sensationalist point.

Like the articles popping up about a shooting spree assailant if he ever owned a videogame.
        It was obvious he did it because he played Counterstrike and let’s ignore his documented psychiatric issues, previous convictions of violent crime and being ex-military.
        It was obviously The Signal in the videogame that trained him and caused the murderous rampage.

• SpinalJack says:

Actually I have a friend who is doing clinical trials on using VR head sets as a way to treat lazy eye.

• strumpet says:

With VR your eyes focus naturally on the things you are virtually seeing.

• SingularityParadigm says:

Not quite true…the current VR tech can not overcome Convergence-Accomodation Conflict. Your eyes steroscopically converge naturally to focus on an object in the HMD, but the lens of the eye is always accommodating to the physical distance that the screens actually are from your eyeballs. This is a fundamental flaw of the lens and screen model of VR technology. There are two display technologies that will solve this, but neither one is ready for prime time yet. Current light-field displays suffer from both low Field-of-View and much too low resolution, while true holographic displays that generate images through interference patterns are not yet feasible.

• SingularityParadigm says:

*Vergence-Accomodation Conflict

My kingdom for an edit button!

7. OmNomNom says:

VR is ‘fine’. It is definitely a couple of generations from being able to play true games with. For those who want to tinker with mini experiences for short periods of time this gen is great, for people who want to play real games at sensible resolutions and without feeling sick its worth waiting a while.
    I just hope the VR train can keep momentum until this tech revolution happens.
    It wasn’t for me but I think its great that people are thrilled with it.

particlese says:

Oh, nice, thanks for the non-VR-evangelist look at one of these things! I’ve been tempted to try VorpX or other paid 3D/VR wrappers/hacks, but I wasn’t very convinced they’d be worth it to me, extrapolating from their marketing materials, some experience with Vireio (free), and YouTube videos. Now I’m at least convinced it can be fun for a bit, given the right games…

9. bucklebean says:

Nice write-up. I’ve been playing around with Vorpx since I got the DK2 in the summer of 2014. For Bioshock, you should take a look at the physics fix for a smoother experience: link to

I’d like to share some thoughts. Apologies for the long post.

– I prefer stealth titles that can be played at a slower pace and where combat can be avoided (if desired). These are my favorite “flat” games as well, so it works out. Walking sims can be a perfect fit. The caves in Dear Esther were a sight to behold. When games call for frantic movement, especially as things come at you from all directions, higher latency becomes much more apparent & it can make you ill. So I avoid most popular shooters.

– It helps to have familiarity with the mechanics. M+KB works best for me. My stomach cannot handle right analog stick yaw. Flicking the mouse in short bursts to turn, on the other hand, is surprisingly comfortable.

– Older games have a better shot of maintaining higher fps. I find the Rift does a better job than the Vive at dealing with dropped frames (& lower fps) due to asynchronous timewarp.

– Some titles I’ve enjoyed: Deus Ex GOTY (Revision mod also), Thief 2 & Thief 2X, System Shock 2 (I’m a bit too scared, so I haven’t gotten too far!), Thief 2014, Deus Ex HR (sadly latest vorpx version seems to be bugged), VTMB, Portal 2, FO4, Skyrim, Bioshock 2 Minerva’s Den, Bioshock Infinite DLC 2.

Dishonored is probably my favorite. I’d say I played around 75%-80% of the game with G3D and switching to Z3D when the FPS dropped too much. I also got the Dark Mod running but it’s far from perfect for me (link to Here it is in action: link to

I’m also having a really great time playing Splinter Cell Chaos Theory with a first person mod (link to You have to pop out to 3rd person a fair amount, but the vast majority of sneaking can be done in 1st person. I use a 4:3 resolution and set the fov to 110 (link to Also, it is imperative that you disable mouse acceleration (link to

If you’re interested in any of my settings, let me know.

10. Raoul Duke says:

Weird choices – why not try more racing/driving games, flight sims, space games etc – things where VR makes a lot more intrinsic sense because you are not supposed to be hurling your body around independently of your chair?

That said, please try STALKER and let us know how you go. If it works well it would be absolutely terrifying.

• milligna says:

because racing and sim games tend to add native VR support and VorpX doesn’t feature injection support for many others.

11. death_au says:

I find it funny how this article cycles from “I don’t want experiences, I want games-games” around to “You know what? I just want experiences in games-games worlds”
    That being said, that’s something I want very much, too. I heard about a Unreal Engine 4 fan remake of Metal Gear Solid that got shut down, but the assets are being salvaged into a sort of virtual Metal Gear Solid Museum, with iconic locations from the game. That sort of think in VR would be pretty cool, especially if you could introduce some sort of social aspect as well.
    Imagine being able to hang out in VR Rapture with fellow Bioshock fans, or chat with some friends on some rooftops in Mirror’s Edge’s beautiful city.
    Hell, even being able to take some of these great environments, stick a desk in them and use Windows Holographic to do some real-world work in fantastical scenery would do me.

12. Jakkar says:

I’ve yet to use one of these strange future-goggle devices, but I know what I want to do with it.

I want to play Unreal, and explore all of those beautiful ruins. Bluff Eversmoking. The castle from the intro. Even just leaving the Vortex Rikers for the first time and looking *up* at its bulk, truly up…

Where does one apply for a grant for this sort of thing on compassionate grounds?

• Jakkar says:

… is there any way this could work for Mad Max? Possibly the most beautiful open world gameworld ever made. I want to be in it.

And in the game.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

When I saw VorpX supported Unreal Engine 1 games, I knew that someday I would be returning to Nyleve Falls and the Sunspire in VR. The game still holds up pretty well, played it cooperatively with a friend two months ago who’d never been to Unreal before, and he loved it.

13. milligna says:

I’ve had the most fun with modded Skyrim to tweak the UI, Fallout 3, GTA V with the HUD mod, Borderlands 2 as something about the artstyle suits VR nicely, and quite enjoyed a trip through all of Bioshock Infinite and its DLC.

Dorga says:

Do the Witcher 3! Do the Witcher 3!!!!
    Think of all the bendy trees!!

Thirith says:

This isn’t about VorpX but about games not designed for VR:

I know this will differ from person to person, but I found Quake VR an interesting case study. There are various control setups, and the standard one, which had the directions in which you look, point your gun and move coupled, felt pretty uncomfortable. However, as soon as view direction and gun/movement direction are uncoupled, it worked much, much better for me – even though there was still the usual disconnect of movement in the game and my own lack of movement.

It’s just based on my own anecdotal evidence, but I could imagine that decoupling view and movement direction combined with giving you a frame of reference (like a cockpit or a gun) that *doesn’t* move along with you looking around already mitigates the whole VR nausea thing to some extent. I find that some people jump to black and white, either/or conclusions about what does and doesn’t work in VR too quickly.

16. NavetFarci says:

A bit off topic, since it does not involve VorpX and is not a “VR retrofit”, but I want to share my number one use for my Rift : Rocket League.

– Virtual Desktop allows you to play games on a virtual screen
    – TriDef 3D converts standard games into 3D SBS games and includes a profile for Rocket League

With this combo, I can play Rocket League on a virtual giant 3D screen. And it’s glorious. Really immersive as the screen almost fills my FOV, and the 3D is not just eye candy, it enhances the situational awareness and the precision of the gameplay. Performance is great with my 970.

If you love Rocket League (who doesn’t ?) and have a Rift, give it a try (TriDef 3D costs $40, but there is a trial version that you can use for free for 2 weeks).

17. dongsweep says:

Thanks for the list, would love to see you put more experiences up in the future!

18. strumpet says:

The only one of these games I’ve tried is Dishonored about a year ago. I don’t know if vorpx has improved it but when I tried it it wasn’t very good. I always thought it would be simple to convert something for VR but there seems to be a lot more to it than just creating two slightly different images for each eye.

19. Chaz says:

I would like more games to support Nivida’s Ansel, as the 360 stereoscopic screen shots look great in VR and it’s an excellent way to look at games in VR as if you’re there.

They’ve just released it for The Witcher 3 at last, so it’ll give me a good excuse to try and get into it again so that I can take loads of VR shots.

20. Moonracer says:

I think there needs to be a middle ground here. Most current VR games are short and feel like tech demos, but wearing a headset for more than an hour or two starts to feel like an endurance test. More traditional games offer more depth to gameplay and generally a longer play experience.

However the added thrill of the VR experience means I can play for 30 minutes to an hour and feel completely satisfied. I think people expect VR gaming to function the same as traditional gaming (yet also want it to be something amazing and new).

Also, if you have an HTC Vive I highly recommend “vivecraft”. It’s a mod that lets you play Minecraft in roomscale and is easily the best experience I have had using traditional games in VR. Just seeing the world at full scale and standing next to a giant hip-high pig is worth the trip.

21. hideinlight says:

There’s another way to play these games in VR without getting sick.
    Did it with virtual desktop once, but stopped due to my GPU being not powerful enough.

You basically run the game in stereo mode, play it on a curved virtual desktop, and put side by side mode on.

One thing you must completely avoid playing like in the article is using the analogue stick to move the camera. I’ve gotten kinda far with games like Bulletstorm storm though, but I found the motion sickness does eventually kick in within 15 minutes of analogue stick movement.

Using the analogue stick to rotate the camera whilst, looking at the ground, 15 seconds…