Have You Played… Sunless Sea?

Most roguelikes or lites or whatever you prefer to call this newer generation of permadeath roleplaying games, I play to win. Or, at least, to try to win: with the intention of victory, even if the actuality of it is unlikely. In Sunless Sea, I always play as if doomed.

My small, lost, weak boat is bound to find itself in some watery grave before too long – my captain and crew starved or maddened or stranded, my tale at a premature end. Because that is the tale: the tale of how I adventured through a weird and uncaring place, and how that place ultimately took my life. My end, no matter how abruptly met or how cruelly-timed, always feels apt. The Underzee is not a place to live, it is a place to die.

I suppose I approach Sunless Sea as a sort of darkly blissful purgatory. Drifting through the dark, witnessing strangeness and suffering, trying to eke out some kind of existence even as the walls close in on me. I find this calming rather than harrowing. Where so many other games of this ilk get their Skinner box hooks into me, here I care little about upgrades or cash. I want only to explore further out, see how long I can survive for before beating a tricky retreat back to Fallen London, and anything I might do to my ship or my crew is only to serve that one golden objectives. Of seeing all I can before I die. Because I will die.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Vedharta says:

Everytime i play this i pretend its actually Wraith: The Oblivion….

(Hi there Paradox Interactive!)

2. Stargazer86 says:

I tried it during a free weekend and just couldn’t get into it.

• JFS says:

Same for me. Unfortunate. The atmosphere is great, the writing is fine, but there’s two big drawbacks: the grind, and the bleakness. It’s seriously too gloomy to enjoy for me.

• Viral Frog says:

Same here. The writing was fantastic, I liked the setting, the aesthetic was great… but the gameplay just fell flat. I really wanted to like the game, but the time commitment required to get a meaningful experience paired with permadeath was just not for me.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

And another same here. I found it frustrating having to keep going back to wolfstack to stock up on food and provisions, a few more ports out in the darkness where you can replenish would have made it less tedious. Another game spoiled by making managing bars going down a core mechanic. It’s not like you can sail indefinitely anyway, your crew gets scared.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Add my wails to the bleak chorus. I’m terribly glad it exists as an (often successful) experiment in blending narrative and mechanics, but I see no reason it needs to be so repetitive and even hostile to the player. Grinding doesn’t equate to anticipation or mystery. I hope others head down the path it started, just by more welcoming means. Not even Dostoevsky would demand so much of my free time to tell a story.

• Fnord73 says:

And me. I played it to the point where I had covered all the map, had a decent economy and so on, but I really couldnt quite figure out what the heck it was I was actually supposed to do, except keep on puttering on and see if any of the ports had any new events. I had part of the same experience with Fallen London, loved the setting but just couldnt penetrate the game. (Oh yay, the golems like me now! Eh… and …?)

• Sandepande says:

Yes. Oddly yawn-inducing. Atmosphere wasn’t there for me, and with it went all the interest in the story, the grind and pottering slowly around the 2D map.

• alh_p says:

I’m glad I’m not alone. Adam’s cheer leading for this is completely at odds with my experience of the game. I don’t consciously play “relaxing” games in the little time i have for them, but at the same time, i found the bar too high with this and i have to be pretty ruthless about getting a reward for my time investment. It’s too hard to get started out and the rewards/entertainment are paltry. Compared to FTL, still my touchstone for roguelikes (and if i remember, name dropped if not by devs then reviewers as an influence), there is precious little to engage with from the get go except ensuring you have enough food or fuel. It’s a real shame as I’d like to explore the setting but i just don’t find the mechanics rewarding enough on the journey.

• InternetBatman says:

Same here. I backed it on kickstarter, love Fallen London, and have paid for a couple of stories in FL. It’s great as interactive fiction, shit as a game.

Yes the writing is good, but writing shouldn’t be a reward for muddling through the game. The gameplay itself sucks. It’s all sticks and no carrots. There are two big problems:

1. The centrality of London. This means that you have to spend at least half of the game sailing back to London until you find somewhere that sells fuel. Even then, you’ll be lucky if you have enough money for said fuel. Even if you explore in arcs, you have to

2. Resources management. Resources are designed to be hard to manage, with the only payoff being able to play the damn game.

Imagine having to pay to walk in any open world game. It’s like a f2p game that you pay for. Cool mechanics! It gets better, fuel burnt and ship speed are based on weight, so many upgrades make the game more stressful and tedious. The engine upgrade that everyone wants is based on an NPC showing up by random chance. Progression!

Money is terrible. They put trade in, but then made it useless for most of the early game. Great idea! If you do find a useful trade opportunity, it dries up quickly. Awesome! Rather than doing stuff for money, and trading things (you know, the way sea merchants actually make money), your job is to sail out, talk to some people, and come back. You also have the option of selling experience and victory conditions to make temporary money.

Terror works better than it used to, but it still is enormously expensive to clear. You have to pay heavily to sleep in your own apartment. World-building!

3. Lack of quest variation. Every single quest I’ve come across is a fetch quest. You get something, you bring it somewhere else. Sometimes you grind to get several somethings, and bring them somewhere else. At this point, I’d welcome an escort mission.

4. Risk taking is punished by the game. Guides always say take risks. Yes you can end up with more money. Guess what happens if you take risks and die, all your stuff is gone forever unless you’ve been grinding first. Or you get stranded in the middle of the ocean going 1/8th speed on the way back to London. When you take risks and lose hours worth of gameplay, the game is saying “hey dumbass, don’t take risks or I’ll punish you heavily.”

5. Grind is inevitable because ships are weak and fuel is expensive outside of London. Most of the game is spent going incrementally further distances from London. The problem is that as you go further, you need to spend more to go that far. Even if you’re making enough money to explore (far from guaranteed), the result is that you have to back track through areas you’ve already been, twice. Imagine if Baldur’s Gate had you manually travelling all the way back to the Friendly Arm Inn (manually mind you, no fast travel for you) when you wanted to sell some shit.

Furthermore, if you die, you don’t have the money to afford the fuel to get you to the area you were exploring and back.

6. Trade routes are terribly designed. They’re useless in the beginning, and then you’re magically supposed to start paying attention in mid game.

7. Port reports are just an unrealistic idea for a main source of income. If you want to reward players for exploring, then do just that. Let them find stuff worth selling. Port reports would work much better as a late game quest device.

If I had my way, I would change the game significantly:
      reduce terror in areas near London (basically halfway to Polythreme);
      have quest hub islands rather than going back to London all the time;
      clear terror when you got to London;
      reduce fuel requirements and prices to 1/10th of their current rate;
      expand the distances between places; allow manual fire on guns; make trade routes obviously valuable giving more value to longer routes;
      put more NPC ships in, passive traders, etc;
      provide some clear upgrades to the ship;
      reduce the importance of port reports.

As it stands, not liking to masochistically throw hours of time away playing hunger bars: the game = not getting the atmosphere according to most fans.

3. Alien says:

I would love to, but my English is tooo bad to enjoy it…

And this is the general thing I don`t like about all the great INDIE games: Most of them don`t get translated into other languages.

When I was young (90s), almost every game was translated into German, because the publishers cared for it.

I can`t be that expensive to hire a translator (compared to making a game). We buy a lot of games in Germany/Austria… :)

• JFS says:

I don’t think indie games were translated into German in the 90s, basically because there were only very few and there was no internet to get your hands on them easily. We got a ton of translated games, yes, but it was what would today be called “AAA” or “major” or “mainstream”. Those are still being translated.

I also remember playing games in English, especially shareware. I even had one in Dutch. Not everything was available in localized form, just as today.

• Czrly says:

I play a fair number of Daedalic games in German because the voice acting is so much better than the English. Also, it helps my German.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’m always on the lookout for games with German text and/or voice acting, because I like practicing my German. Though after playing The Witcher 1 with both English audio/German Text and German audio/English text, I found that I process it fast enough to play it for long sessions. Haven’t played any more German games after that. However, I played all of Jedi Academy with German audio, though, because the main character sounded less stupid that way.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I mean, my German is too bad to play The Witcher 1 with German voice acting.

• apa says:

I learned English playing Larry and Police Quest. Useful vocabulary for a kid there! “Administer field sobriety test” was a showstopper for quite a while.

• Czrly says:

I’d advise playing games with German voices and German subtitles. I tried mixing English and German but that was actually harder to follow than simply having both in the foreign language, possibly because the languages have different structures and word-orders and idioms do not translate directly a lot of the time.

Point-and-clicks are great for this because, if you missed it the first time, you can just click it again and have another go.

Ein deutsches Wörtebuch für Ausländer (z.b. das Großwörtebuch “Deutsch als Fremdsprache” von Langenscheidt) kann auch Spaß machen. Ohne Definitionen auf Englisch ist es wirklich ein Puzzlespiel.

• Czrly says:

… and I must just give another shout-out to Daedalic, the first developer I know who supports hot-swapping languages for voice and text independently without even having to re-load your game! Brilliant!

4. Eight Rooks says:

I haven’t, even though I own it. It’s partly because of having a backlog that towers over me while I sleep, but – I tried Fallen London and even though I realise the first few hours of that game are basically the opening chapters of a book that never really ends, they were fairly dull, unremarkable chapters, IMO, that gave me little reason to keep reading. More of that but On A Boat just didn’t seem that appealing.

5. supercakman says:

PROTIP FOR THOSE WHO KEEP DYING:

#1: If you die, ALWAYS choose the option to keep your map unless you’ve got something REALLY important to you. It will make everything less frustrating.

#2: At the game’s start, head north along the coast. Hit that Z key every couple seconds and watch for islands. Make your way towards Venderblight and eventually Wither (They’re always in the same general place.)

#3: GET YOUR PORT REPORTS. It’ll be your primary way of earning money early on in the game.

#4: Until you are CONFIDENT that you can take enemies on, don’t risk it. Turn your light off and run away as fast as possible.

#5: Don’t worry about long-term consequences. Desecrate the Gods. Eat your crew. Plunder and pillage. You can always be reborn, and different choices open up different paths.

Sunless Sea is a blast once you get the hang of it. Very slow and meditative. Can’t wait for the DLC.

• Senethro says:

Pro-er tip: Never keep your map. Exploration is the primary XP income and keeping your map locks out something like 50 XP levels.

• Czrly says:

And re-discovering the map takes a fraction of the time require to earn your cash back. Take the two 50% cash options to keep all your cash. (Weapons are useless in the early game, too, so you can sack them.)

• Muzman says:

Yes. DON’T keep your map!
        Unless!: your inheritance is massive and you can work a few good routes with the map you have (this will mean the map is entirely, or almost entirely, discovered)

So many people give up playing altogether because they are not getting anywhere from one captain to the next. Discarding the map rearranges it and your luck can change immensely.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Thanks! I needed this. Bounced off after dying a couple of times, pretty early into proceedings. There’s a game I very much like the look of in here but it kept telling me to f off! Will have another go vith ze PROTIPS.

• Ksempac says:

Be careful…#2 #3 and #4 are actual tips, but #5 is dubious and #1 is the single worst thing to do to f*** up a captain right away.

As others commenters have already said, never ever choose to keep your map, as discovering the map is by far the biggest source of fragments (ie XP) in the game. It makes me wonder what exactly supercakman is doing in his Sunless Sea’s games. Either he has never been far into the game, or he is adding a tons of grind/workarounds to compensate for his big early deficit, in a game that is already grind heavy.

(Then there is also the obvious option that his “tips” are only a prank/troll.)

• TheLetterM says:

#6 Control your lights. Keeping your lights on all the time will burn through fuel, keeping them off all the time will freak your crew out and eventually lead to mutiny. You can manage your fuel and terror levels more effectively if you only use your lights when you’re far away from shore.

#7 Full speed ahead. Always go as fast as you can, there’s almost no advantage to going half-speed unless you’re trying to steer around danger or are very close to port and almost out of gas. Someone worked out the maths, and going full speed costs an almost equivalent amount of fuel as half-speed, and saves you a bundle on food and terror levels, not to mention cutting down on your “satring at the ship” time.

#8 Capitalism is for suckers. Don’t expect to make any significant amount of money via trading. The real money is in port reports, so make sure to hit up every port on the way to your destination, and consider taking an alternate route back to London to snag even more. There are a few other guaranteed methods of earning money, but they either require significant resources or specific map configurations to make them worth it.

• Ksempac says:

Though a beginner will indeed make money through port reports, a midgame and/or end game player will know many ways to make a lot more money through specific transactions/routes than port reports…

Some of theses routes are map dependant, but some are definitely not, including my most favorite one which i can usually start almost right away when i get a new captain…

• TheLetterM says:

Yep, I wrote these with the beginners in mind. There’s a few trade routes that work, and a few easy money stops (I don’t think it’s much of a spoiler to say that the Salt Lions is a great early money-maker), but anyone expecting to make a significant sum of money out the gate by trading London goods to other ports is in for a nasty shock. I feel like the promise of the open sea implies you can haphazardly fill your hull with goods and expect to make a profit.

The reality is you need to explore and establish exactly which goods are conversion, which are used for quests, and which ones are directly saleable; which means either some meticulous note-taking, or looking up the most profitable techniques on the wiki. It’s decidedly unfriendly to newbies, and I wouldn’t be surprised if at least some of those that find SS to be a grind quit because they could never figure out how to advance.

• Stillquest says:

Perhaps it’s down to play-style, but I made most of my mid-game money by trade runs. It was somewhat grindy, to be sure, but permadeath games always make me favor slow-but-safe. Outsourced the worst of it to my girlfriend…

Jekadu says:

Number one is incorrect. Keeping the map should only be done if you have a very specific plan in mind as new discoveries are your primary source of Fragment income, and keeping the map doesn’t reset the flags on ones you found on your previous captain. Keeping money or, in some cases, a weapon is almost invariably better.

With regards to number four, I’ve found that monster hunting is an activity you either commit to completely or try to avoid like… er… Storm. Monster hunting can be profitable and killing a monster and then interacting with its corpse lowers your terror, so it’s possible to chain together kills which keeps costs down. The downside is that a certain investment of fuel and rations are needed as battles can take a while, so dabbling isn’t really worth it.

6. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I want to love Sunless Sea, but it is staggeringly slow and repetitive. I understand wanting to make it difficult to get to the farthest reaches of the map, but when getting there means grinding port reports in the same places for hours, the sense of mystery and adventure starts dissolving away.

Really hoping the submarine DLC adds enough new content to alleviate this problem.

Jekadu says:

It’s tempting to play Sunless Sea defensively, but as you’ve noticed it gets very repetitive very fast. My advice is to follow the advice of one of the taglines: take risks! Throw caution to the wind and point your ship in an unknown direction. It will go better than you think, and after a while you’ll get a very good feel for how to make your way across the Zee in a somewhat safe manner.

This applies to every layer of the game, by the way. Pick stupid options. Test boundaries. You’ll be surprised by what you’ll find. At worst you’ll get a nice story and know to avoid something on your next captain. If you survive you probably get something rare and valuable.

• jalf says:

Yeah, that is really key, and unfortunately, the game doesn’t do a great job of telling the player this. But yeah, don’t grind, don’t be cautious, don’t hug the coast around London and think you have to stay there for X hours before you can move on. Heck, don’t wait until you’re able to upgrade your ship either. Buy some food and some fuel and strike out for the unknown and see what happens. It’s more fun, but it’s also the best and fastest way to make progress in the game.

It’s unfortunate that some of the weaker areas of the game (ship combat or trading) *seem* like they’re more viable than they are. Combat is boooring and completely avoidable, and trading is a huge chore for very little reward. Even if you want to make money, it’s not the way to go.

Take risks. (Also eat your crew)

7. dare says:

I’ve played it for over 100 hours, haven’t finished, but I really love it. I don’t find it bleak at all; just like Fallen London, it’s merely delightfully macabre.

Having explored the whole map sort of took away my drive to explore further, so I’m awaiting Zubmariner before diving back in.

• General Advice Bot says:

Honest question, no snark intended: Can you “finish” this game or does it run out of stories? I played about 30 hours and I didn’t have the impression that there was an overall storyline.

• Topheh says:

Yes, you can. There are at least 4 ways to ‘win.’ Two you can select at the start of the game. You can either go to Zee to write the Song of the Sea, which requires gathering a LOT of various items from around the Zee (some of which require finishing major plot lines) and retire to a life of wealth and fame. Or, you go to Zee to find and recover the bones of your sailor father, and once you do that you return home satisfied that you now know what happened to him. There are at least 1 ‘hidden’ ways to win (Head to Aestival to start that path), and, of course, there is the ‘win’ of ‘not dying and retiring to a simpler, less dangerous life’

You can also just retire, which is ‘winning’ in the sense that you don’t die…

• stuw23 says:

I think there is also a further hidden way to win, which involves sailing Easy, beyond the Zee at the end of a very long and difficult questline. Said questline is one of the endings I haven’t attempted yet though, despite over 100 hours spent on the game.

• stuw23 says:

Sailing Easy? Sailing East, rather.

TheDesman says:

I’ve gotten the sail east ending, and yeah, it is in my opinion the hardest to get. Getting this ending was where I stopped playing the game, because it felt like a definite ending compared to the others. But I won’t say why because of spoiler reasons, you’ll have to find that out by yourself.
            But I can say that this ending is tied to the story-line of the Carnelian exile. So if you want this story then start with the exile and work from there.

• Ksempac says:

The game actually show you there are endings right at the start: when you choose your past, you have to choose an “Ambition”. Fulfilling an ambition you picked means reaching the ending of the game.

Or at least one ending, since each ambition is a different ending, and you can discover new ambitions while progressing through the game

8. Coming Second says:

The first… I’ll say ten hours of this game are magical. You explore a weird and wonderful world, slowly pushing outwards and mapping more and more of it out, ever stranger things looming out of the darkness. You probably die in some unforeseen manner and that doesn’t feel so bad, because you bequeath at least a bit of your progress to your next character. You get the hang of things, come to know where to go and what to transport, begin to play out some of the intriguing story hooks, experience the immense satisfaction of reaching the furthest east.

Then the game becomes about grinding your Boggle skill to 100 and Trivial Pursuit to 150, and transporting 60 Whimsies to Smell of My Farts Cove one at a time. And if you didn’t bring the Tome of Ancient Greek References with you, well I’m afraid you’ll just have to piss off all the way back to London. Because pointless aggravation and endless back-and-forth = involving narrative!

9. MOOncalF says:

I sympathise with all these frustrations, and advise anyone who hasn’t played yet to ignore the warnings. The game’s writing is solid gold, everything else is just the rationing out of it’s tantalizing words. Sunlight smuggling took my fear, oh to be blind again in the zee!

10. Czrly says:

I love Sunless Sea. The writing is excellent, the setting is engrossing and the content is often mature in a grown-up-and-erudite kind of way. Love it.

The combat is awful, though, as is the sailing about with tank-controls, to be honest.

I love the lineage system too, and often take a break when I die, picking up the game again for a new experience with a new scion when I’m ready for it. (I never save my map – always save the cash – it’s much easier to sail about and find the map than it is to earn the cash back)

If I were to recommend the game, I would also recommend this: don’t play on easy mode. Play the way the game was intended and accept that you will die and you will start over. The risks create tension and real fear; fear is a drug. Every time you start over, you get to try another approach and another character and, because no character last forever, you can actually ROLEplay – you can make decisions and act in-character instead of trying to choose optimally. NEVER read wikis or how-tos. Keep a notebook instead and work on player-knowledge. The game will reward you.

I do wish that the developers would fix some quality-of-life things, however. I’d love a bit of U.I. polish, to be able to plot a course and sail AFK sometimes, to be allowed to exceed my hold space as long as I don’t leave port – stacking stuff on the quay as it were…

11. Abacus says:

I played it after playing Darkest Dungeon and Renowned Explorers, and at that point I was pretty much tired of that whole rogue-lite format. It wasn’t long after I started it that I was assailed by tons of popups and menus and wordy explanations about the gameplay and all these things I would need to make it in the game… not for me.

12. Muzman says:

Why yes, I have. It’s actually got the most playtime in my steam library by some margin.
    That’s not necessarily a good thing as it is a bit slow and time consuming I have all the wishes most people have: that the combat and AI were more interesting, that the events were more common and more elaborate etc. Basically that it was more Pirates-y (and it’s fairly Pirates-y).

But so many suggestions for it would kill what’s good about it and undermine its mood. Faster speeds may the Zee too small and not enough time to think. Lower difficulty makes the Zee more game-able (that’s a word) less awe inspiring. More fully featured secondary trading hubs would make the Zee less lonely and cut that psychological umbilical to London, which is a subtle magic few games have spun. Whatever you do must not be just There, but There and Back Again, or accept that you might not make it back. But then when you do…!

There is some desire out there for an old style seafaring game. It’s probably a desire for old style seafaring combat more than anything. Sunless Sea has instead captured the romance of long isolation and almost certain death. Commendable stuff, even if it’s unlikely to be what your modern gamer wants.

I wiled away the down times with a good audio book or two

basilisk says:

I don’t know if I was just obscenely lucky, but my second captain made it all the way to the end of the game, with permadeath on. (Tip: the Your Father’s Bones ambition goes beautifully with an orphan background.) There’s the initial hump of difficulty, which can be quite random, but after you get past that, the game becomes quite easy, if overly grindy.

I’m torn on whether I’d call it a good game, if we’re being perfectly honest, because the way it approaches permadeath and randomness is very weird and doesn’t really work, but the writing is just so amazing I could never get enough of it. Despite the huge grind that sets in towards the endgame.

The one thing that I’d advise newcomers – invest in Veils and avoid combat until you really feel like you know what you’re doing. The benefits of winning a fight are mostly negligible and the cost of losing is way too high. Don’t forget to pick up your port reports everywhere you go. Don’t expect to make much money by trading. Do push beyond the safe limit of how far you can go. You won’t progress unless you take some risk, at least early on. You might stumble across an island that turns your fortune around. Or you might die, obviously. But you must venture into the darkness or you’ll never succeed.

• klops says:

You were not extra lucky.

I also finished the game with my first playthrough. I had played the early access versions (turn based combat-early) a bit and died quite a lot in those, so I knew how to avoid some deaths. I incested in veils and speed and avoided combat because a.) it didn’t help anything (at least when the game was released, it might’ve improved now) b.) it sucked (it hasn’t improved now).

Finishing the game wasn’t fun, but I still hold some parts of the game in very high regard.

14. stuw23 says:

It’s one of my favourite games. I don’t think it’s especially good as a game – it is slow, it is grindy, and very unwelcoming to new players. But as an experience, I found it captivating, haunting, and told stories – and hinted at things – that stay with me long after I have stopped playing. I’m presently trying *not* to play it, so that I don’t feel burnt out on it by the time Zubmariner is released.

I also think that some of the complaints against the game are, ironically, its strengths. The slowness of sailing, for me, adds to the atmosphere, and reinforces just how big the Zee is and how small and fragile and alone you and your boat are. The way so many aspects of the world are unexplained is also something I quite like, in that it leaves the player/reader to fill in the blanks and put pieces together. And yes, it is quite difficult to make money initially, but port reports are really the way to go (as is sticking to a small boat for a while and avoiding combat). The combat is pretty awful, though.

But despite all its flaws, one hour of gameplay too often turns in to whole evenings and nights spent, pushing further and further out to Zee, utterly captivated by the world the game and writing creates. And the time I came across *that* eye, peering out at me from so far below, late in to the night, with the winter wind howling outside my window… yeah. Remarkable stuff.

15. temujin33 says:

“In Sunless Sea, I always play as if doomed.” Yeah! Like Tetris!

teije says:

It’s a very meditative game, fall into a trance-like state punctuated by great moments of decision and tenseness as you slowly run out of fuel or sanity. Can’t wait for the Zubmariner DLC. Also just poked my head into Fallen London recently and enjoying being in that same darkly humourous world again.

17. C0llic says:

I bought this in early access and enjoyed it, but decided to wait until it was more complete. It’s time I went back to it. Thanks for the reminder :D

18. Raoul Duke says:

I find it incomprehensible that this game doesn’t work with a controller. It seems absolutely perfect for Big Picture mode.

As for the game itself, on my limited attempts to date I found it frustrating and deliberately punishing to a degree that I don’t enjoy. Life has enough shitty trade-offs in it without me wanting to experience more in my leisure time.

19. malkav11 says:

I did. Once. Then I was zailing along minding my own business and an eye larger than my ship opened nearby and I noped right out of the game.

…I’ll be back eventually, of course. I backed it on Kickstarter and love Fallen London to bits. But even though Fallen London is very grindy and I’ve kind of stalled out, I kind of prefer that implementation to Sunless Sea, I confess. I am not wild about the survival mechanics and the permadeath doesn’t fit, I don’t think. Fallen London doesn’t have anything like the degree of risk to your character that Sunless Sea does, unless you very deliberately and against all advice seek the Name.

20. popej says:

I played it an awful lot when it was first released but haven’t had a chance lately. With Zubmariner coming out soon I’ll try and have a look again (if my 10 week old son will let me)

It’s very China Mieville which is a big pull for me.

Comment on this story