Metal Gear Survive Bringing Co-op Zombie-Hunting

What will Konami do with Metal Gear Solid now series maestro Hideo Kojima has gone off to start a new studio and impregnate Norman Reedus? Oh, you know: zombie survival. Konami today announced the first post-Kojima Metal Gear, Metal Gear Survive. It’s a co-op spin-off set in an alternate universe where some of Big Boss’s pals got sucked into sky and appeared in zombielandia. No, really.

What if, yeah, after XOF destroyed the Militaires Sans Frontières base at the end of Ground Zeroes, the rig and a load of MSF soldiers got pulled through wormholes into a dimension filled with rock-headed monsters? A good question! Up to four players would team up to murder them and try not to die, apparently. Details are pretty vague but I’d assume it’s not an open-world sandbox, more MGSV with monsters and co-op. I may be wrong, mind. All I have to go on is some paraphrased marketing blurb and this trailer:

“Metal Gear Survive will offer a fresh take on the series’ famed stealth elements,” said Konami’s Tomotada Tashiro in a press release those those Ian Games Network swots received early, “but within a unique co-op setting that is designed for a truly engrossing multiplayer experience.”

Metal Gear Survive is due some time in 2017.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. MrFinnishDude says:

there is no hope

2. PointyShinyBurning says:

I know it’s a zombie horse, but surely after a certain point you’re just beating the ground?

Oakreef says:

TBH I feel the people who need to shout about how Konami are the most evil company in the world and personally murdered their cat every time anything at all involving the company happens are the ones beating the dead horse at this point.

X_kot says:

Surely there are plenty people who played Ground Zeroes and TPP and said, “I’m so tired of Big Boss and Ocelot. What ever happened to those nameless guys who defended Mother Base?”

• Matys says:

I laughed way harder at this than I should have, gonna have to use that twist on the old saying some time haha

3. Janichsan says:

Who ordered that??

4. wu wei says:

Thank god someone is filling the 4-player-coop-against-zombies void.

• Massenstein says:

I hear you. Personally I would also want to see some sort of game where I am stranded in the wilderness and need to find food and build bandages and tools from twigs and stuff. Pretty crazy, I know, but maybe someone will fill this gap for me.

5. Bull0 says:

It’s getting to the point where a game is noteworthy for not having a zombie mode

6. tanith says:

“fresh take”
    yeah that’s the first thing I think when I see a game with zombies. Fresh take.

They really aren’t trying anymore.

7. Michael Manning says:

That is not a Kojima trailer (but they tried)

8. TeePee says:

Seems… unnecessary. I genuinely don’t know what the audience for this is.

Those playing MGO aren’t going to be overly interested in this, as they’re playing it for the Metal Gear-style gameplay.
    Those interested in co-op shooty-shooty against dead people are going to have hundreds of options, almost all of them much better-suited to that style of game, and will have long since settled into their game of choice.

Still though, good old gaming fads – I miss the days when every single IP anywhere had to have a kart racer.

• iniudan says:

Konami Krazy Racers is the answer you seek. They even had a mobile version come out last year, called Krazy Kart Racing, but that one doesn’t feature any Metal Gear series character, but it got Pyramid Head instead, you know nothing like putting Pyramid head in a kart racer the same year you cancelled PT.

• iniudan says:

Sorry, I misread the wiki entry for release date, it was the virtual console release of the original that was last year, after doing a google search for “Metal Gear Kart” which gave me the Konami Krazy Racers wiki as first link.

9. RedViv says:

“Man, have you seen Umbrella Corps? The folks at Capcom really know how to grab the Western market. Let’s do that too! Pass the gage!”

10. Jalan says:

Konami, not content with allowing Capcom to “allegedly” mine their ideas, goes on to make their own special version of Umbrella Corps.

11. Spacewalk says:

Konami must read Sutter Cane because they’re making a lot of people feel like Sam Neill in the cinema at the end of In the Mouth of Madness.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Lol, I wish I could say something witty to add to that, but it’s perfect as it is and i’m not clever enough. Hats off.

12. VCepesh says:

I am saying this as someone who doesn’t care about Metal Gear at all, aside from mildly enjoying largely unconnected Revengeance:

This is past the point of self-parody.

13. Earl-Grey says:

I’m genuinely laughing in disbelief.

This is so utterly preposterous that one is liable to suspect that this is Konami’s future justification for pulling the plug on home console/pc games production altogether.
    “See, we told you AAA-gaming wasn’t profitable. If it were, you’d have bought our turd of a cash in. Sayonara dillholes!”

• Maxheadroom says:

And if by some fluke it sells by the truckload they’ll be all “See? We told you we don’t need Kojima!”

Win/win for Konami really

14. joanbarnes says:

Thanks for the information…

15. int says:

I want Konami to team up with Capcom and make a vast stealth/zombie single player game. Resident Solid; or, how the Metal Gear became Bio-hazardous.

16. grobstein says:

There is some exec in Konami who has been trying to get this game made for years, only to come up against Kojima. Now he’s gone!

Or the production of this game might just be a big ol’ “F**k you!” aimed at Kojima.

17. Ramshackle Thoughts says:

It’s like they went “Oh, Metal Gear is so quirky, we can make anything fit in that universe!”

Afraid not. There’s a big difference between quirky and surreal, and just down right effin’ nonsensical.

18. W4nT4n says:

After the somewhat dissapointing Warhammer: Vermintide I wonder what kind of gameplay-mechanics this one will have. As it seems, we will have another “endless,mindless, rushing horde with some special zombies” game. Can you do better, Konami?

19. Raoul Duke says:

Hmm, how will we follow up one of the best games of all time?

20. DingDongDaddio says:

Holy cow, what an abuse of the franchise. This is beyond spin-off. This is completely unrelated and irrelevant to the series.

I really wish I was getting Revengeance 2 instead.

21. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I feel like the tagline for the early 21st Century should be ‘BUT WITH ZOMBIES’

AutonomyLost says:

23. Frank V. says:

I can’t imagine this is anything but the beginning of the end for Metal Gear…. RIP.

24. Sir_Eric says:

All that effort just for Jim Sterlings “Fuck Konami News”. How nice of them.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Fuck this. I hate everything about this.

26. Synesthesia says:

Fuck off already, Konami.

27. Jetsetlemming says:

I’m just really struck by how lazy that monster design it. “It’s a person, see, but instead of a head, they have some rocks I guess!”

28. KastaRules says:

There are no words.

29. horrorgasm says:

I don’t even understand. They can’t be bothered to put the effort and expense into real games anymore, but they can somehow find the time and money for a shitty knockoff of a knockoff? They can’t possibly expect this to actually do well. I just don’t get it.

30. Buggery says:

I’m a buy it just because the internet response to things is usually bad and wrong. Accordingly, this will probably be quite good.

PoulWrist says: