Resident Evil 7 Teases More First-Person VHS Horror

Capcom have released some more “found footage” from the upcoming Resident Evil 7 [official site]. Their foray into first-person frights has seen a lot of comparisons to P.T. and with good reason. But this is a loyal sequel, the developers insist, or at least a story contained within the familiar universe of zombifying viruses, parasites and corporate nastymen. Come and see it after the jump.

That was a jump scare. Geddit? Jump scare? Here’s the trailer.

It’s a haunted house story. Jack and Marguerite Baker, the folks up in the old plantation house, haven’t been seen in a long time. And it looks like you are heading in to find out why. This footage, however, isn’t your character, but a recording that you’ll find and play through as you explore the old manse yourself.

Resi is making the switch to first-person, we learned at E3 this year, and Capcom were even gracious enough to release a lengthy demo, the “Beginning Hour” (but not so gracious as to release it on PC). Adam suffered the indignities of PlayStation to bring back his thoughts, and said it was a great new angle for the series. But he also pointed out that long-form games of this kind can become exhausting. I tend to agree. While Alien: Isolation was a brilliant game, I often wonder how many other people made it past the 3 hour mark? I almost didn’t go back to it myself, only the love of that world compelled me to dive in again. The same problem may await Resident Evil 7.

But a bigger problem than this might be how the old guard react. Fans of the usual gun-filled, third-person survival horror style might not welcome this new one, pandering as it is to popular scares of P.T. and Outlast, and courting the world of scary VR. It remains to be seen exactly how much of the old Resi is left behind all these VHS tapes and candle-strewn hallways.

We’ll find out on January 24, when it’s released on Steam and the Windows 10 Store.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

AutonomyLost says:

Couldn’t care less about this upcoming release, couldn’t be awaiting a remake of Resident Evil 2 more.

Give the fans what they WANT, Capcom. Come on.

• Pizzzahut says:

Agreed. I thought they’d realised that a return to form was what was needed? A First Person RE is gold metal levels of retardation.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Are you sure this isn’t a new Metal Gear?

AutonomyLost says:

That MG news earlier today was… just, wholly disappointing.

Nauallis says:

Ok, but what do you do in this game? /sarcasm

4. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Shouldn’t we be calling it Resident E-seven-l according to the logo at the end of the vid? Damn them! Damn them all to hell!

Andy_Panthro says:

I like the change in direction, and I hope they can do something interesting with it. The “Beginning Hour” promo was good enough, but I’m not sure how you’d translate that into a longer game without it getting stale.

Still, since it seems to have nothing to do with the main RE series, I do wonder why they didn’t call it something different. Unless the big mystery at the old plantation house is that there’s a massive Umbrella Corp. base underneath…

DelrueOfDetroit says:

There’s a puppy mill where they are breeding Wesker Spaniels.

• Jalan says:

Seems way too early to conclude that it has no connection to the “main” Resident Evil. We’ve only been given a bare outline of the game’s story, after all.

6. int says:

Gameplay? With no guns? Rabble! Rabble! Rabble!

7. Unsheep says:

It seems very much inspired by Amnesia and Penumbra.

It’s a great direction for the series to focus more on the horror aspect of their concept, and less on the action.

Amnesia and Penumbra showed that you can still have puzzles, and some platforming, in a first-person horror game. So the traditional aspects of RE can still be present in this new interpretation.

To me RE7 looks to be a first-person version of the first Resident Evil game, I expect gameplay that will remind me of Amnesia and Penumbra.

Personally I loved Alien Isolation, the tension was quite demanding at times but the game-world was so awesome I had no problems continuing the game. So far I’ve played through the game annually.

8. JFS says:

Needs Staring Eyes tag.

9. Maade says:

“But this is a loyal sequel, the developers insist, or at least a story contained within the familiar universe of zombifying viruses, parasites and corporate nastymen.”

I thought this was a loyal sequel to the first three games, as they said this game was going “Back to the roots of the series”. This looks like RE4 trying to be Amnesia.. Or actually a poor copy of Outlast 2.

Well, here’s hoping the RE2 Remake will be as good as the RE1 remake..

• Jalan says:

It actually doesn’t look like RE4 at all, which I am absolutely at ease with because I’m sick of RE4 being used as the blueprint for this franchise. I get it, RE4 was good. So good that Capcom basically cloned it, shoehorned in a co-op feature and had the stones to call it RE5.

Derivative of other PC-based horror titles or not, this is at least something different for this franchise.

10. RichSG says:

“Where do you think you’re going?”

Well I was trying to run away from the inevitable, cliche’d, frankly boring jump-scare that’s been invading horror games/films all these years but no, you’re here. Ah well.