Armageddon It! Cities: Skylines Disasters Expansion

Building and running a safe and efficient city can be fun, sure. Cities: Skylines [official site] is already great for that. You know what’s also fun? Smashing things. Cities: Skylines is now trying harder with that. Publishers Paradox today announced a new expansion for Colossal Order’s city-builder, named Natural Disasters. Oh yes!

Paradox say the Natural Disasters expansion “features a catalog of catastrophes to challenge mayor-players everywhere, including planning with early warning systems and emergency routes, devastating and destructive disaster effects, and caring for the populace as they struggle to rebuild.” Expect infernos, falling comets, and other things that can happen naturally or be triggered whenever you want to cause trouble.

Maybe you find it calming to watch chaos wash away your city, like waves swallowing a sandcastle. Perhaps you believe that the streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown, that the accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout “Save us!”, at which point you’ll look down and whisper “No.” For all I know, you might even want to save everyone.

That’s not all, mind. The expansion will bring a Scenario Mode which, Paradox say, “allows players to design custom game objectives, including custom starting cities, win conditions, time limits, and more – and share scenarios to Steam Workshop”. That’s nice, that.

It’ll also bring a broadcast network to spread emergency alerts or listen to new in-game radio stations.

Natural Disasters is coming some time this winter. Previous expansions have cost £10 or £11.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Darth Gangrel says:

Now you get to deal with major problems along with your mayor problems.

2. Menthalion says:

Already stoked for the inevitable ‘Unnatural Disasters’ expansion !

3. King_Rocket says:

My Cities are already disasters, this could only improve matters in my city or at least kill all the complainers.

4. Inajira says:

Wow, Def Leppard and Watchmen in the same article, jammin’! Looking forward to the DLC, it’s the next logical step. What is created will be destroyed.

5. criskywalker says:

I see what they are doing there. They are mocking the natural disaster that was the Simcity game.

6. cpy says:

Not buying this, doesn’t seem interresting.

7. Calculon says:

Its sad imo – there was so much potential with this game and its just been wasted. The expansions are largely pointless, they dont really enhance the game play – and last time I tried this game – it was still full of bugs and broken systems that have never been fixed.

BOOO!!!! I say. BOO!

• criskywalker says:

Still much better than the competition.

• Universal Quitter says:

“still full of bugs and broken systems”

Care to elaborate? I don’t remember it being full of bugs, to the point that I’m constantly tripping over them as I try to play, and I can’t off the top of my head name a single system that’s “broken,” which I take as meaning “doesn’t function at even a basic level.”

Perhaps I’m reading too much into a short comment.

• FriendlyFire says:

Death waves remain a completely artificial problem that they’ve never bothered to fix. It’s very difficult and awkward to keep a low education level population while also having higher education available. Tourism doesn’t work. Leisure areas don’t really work. Traffic is still a mess. There’s still no real agriculture. The game’s flat out too easy.

It’s still the best city management game out there, but quite frankly there’s a lot that SimCity 2013 did better, whatever the naysayers might claim. That Colossal Order haven’t managed to borrow any of that yet is… puzzling.

• Ethaor says:

Indeed, it is the best city building game in the market right now by far. But it seems they have issues with the direction of the game and just don’t really know what to do with it.

A day-Night cycle with the focus on night activity was a great first expansion. Then they added winter and temperature mechanics but strictly limited to a couple of snow maps, meh.. Now we’ll be able to buy into explosions. Meh.

I would have bought into a 4 season expansion, bringing seasons and temperature features in all maps as a core mechanics as a second expansion.

Instead of natural disaster I would have added some sort of multiplayer.

Maybe I’m simply over hoping and that’s not a question of what they want but what they can with the little ressource they have. Though given the huge success of the game I’d think they had the ressources to do a bit better than explosions and snow maps.

It feels like they’re developing their game sideways, instead of going forward. As nice as explosions are I think the core consumer prefer to build and manage, not destroy everything and look at explosions that I feel will get pretty unexciting after a few disasters.

• criskywalker says:

I agree that the snow expansion was as mistake, as it should have added features on top of the main game, not sideways.

Let’s see how this new expansion works.

• ludde says:

Definitely lacks direction. I feel the problem is that while it’s really enjoyable to tinker away with for a while, it doesn’t have much depth. There’s just not enough meaningful interactivity between its systems, or at least if there is, it’s not very noticeable because of how easy the game is.

Adding more stuff on top of that and not tweaking the core is not going to solve it. It will make them some money however. Hopefully they realize they can have both.

• FriendlyFire says:

You know what’s frustrating me the most? A lot of the issues Cities: Skylines has were actually addressed very well in… SimCity 2013. For all the bad rap that game gets over a few things (largely the city sizes, forced MP and dumb sims), they also had a lot of things that worked better. Their traffic was much more natural, their expandable buildings were extremely nice and effective, their plot system was nicer than CSL’s, they had agriculture and much better specialization options, tourism worked, leisure areas worked, and frankly the expansion was pretty fun.

I’m finding it sad that Colossal can’t seem to borrow any of it.

8. ThricebornPhoenix says:

Disasters are always fun (in video games), but I’m more interested in this Scenario Mode. I wonder how flexible the custom objectives and win conditions will be.

9. sebveile says:

“Finally, a Paradox game where “Comet Sighted” actually means something”

10. bilbee says:

Paradox is on cruise control with this franchise. I was hoping they’d genuinely expand the game in positive ways before they reached for the disasters card, but between this and the snow thing, they’ve clearly checked out.

• Czrly says:

Or they could fix some of the broken stuff. I’m a bit annoyed that paradox have never fixed any of the glaring problems with Skylines or made some of the more popular mods parts of the game – like an option to unlock all land pieces on a map, not just 9.

• klops says:

I think the expansions depend more on the developer (Colossal Order) than the publisher (Paradox).

Harlander says:

They’ve just got to bring it into line with the original Sim City, which had disasters from the start.

• Ethaor says:

*which was a disaster from the start

Harlander says:

I’m talking about the original original Sim City. The one I played on the Atari ST.

Sure, it’s not aged spectacularly, but I hardly think calling it a disaster’s fair ;)

• Ethaor says:

Ah yes I didn’t register that you were talking about the orignal sorry. ^^’

• Jakkar says:

Colossal Order were overwhelmed by the unexpected popularity at release, and seem to have failed to adjust to the demand in the time since. There are positives to this, in likelihood.

Consider the alternative universe in which the core team are swamped by a sudden recruitment drive that seeks quantity over quality, overextends their budget and produces something bloated and broken that repeatedly overengineers the game and demolishes mod support entirely.

For an example of a team responding to demand in a far more horrible way, look at Hello Games going completely insane post-Sony on No Man’s Sky. Every interview with Sean Murray, his eyes were flashing to the camera with an increasingly desperate, unspoken plea which I’m fairly sure started as ‘Save me.’, but by the last few pre-release interviews was undeniably ‘Kill me.’.

• Rizlar says:

Glaring problems: ?

11. Hunchback says:

October 12th, 1985. Tonight, a comedian died in New York.

• Jakkar says:

I hope the developers don’t cut any corners to make the release date. They should never compromise. Not even in the face of armageddon.

teije says:

This looks good – look forward to destroying my inept creations. And Paradox is just the publisher, not the developer (Finnish outfit Colossal Order). Seems to be some confusion in the comments over that.

13. Jakkar says:

A late, but good choice. Unfortunately, some of us on Geforce cards still can’t push Skylines past 15fps, while we casually swagger our way through Witcher 3 at a silky 60.

An odd issue not quite severe enough to be picked up as gamebreaking, or recognised as the game rather than the hardware being at fault by the majority of those suffering it – citybuilder fans don’t share the competitive FPS crowd’s savvy/obsession with performance.

I find it intolerably uncomfortable, sadly, and have never gotten very far with the game. I’ve spent the vast majority of my… Egads, 76 hours with the game… simply trying to fix it with a bevy of modifications, tweaks and hardware adjustments.

It’s unique in this. No other game with problems on this rig. Everyone I’ve studied the subject with through forum threads, reddit posts and the like has been equally bemused.

14. Rizlar says:

Human bean juice everywhere.

… disappointed at lack of reference thread.

15. hpoonis says: